|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Clifford's guests react when Connie tries to join a debate about love and hate?
(a) They are annoyed.
(b) They are shocked.
(c) They ignore her.
(d) They seem disappointed.
2. How does Connie feel when she returns to her house after delivering a letter to Mellors?
3. What do Connie and Clifford do together at night?
(a) Discuss Clifford's manuscripts.
(b) Read books.
(c) Play whist.
(d) Eat dinner.
4. What is taking the jobs of men in the mines?
(c) Absence of resources.
5. How long has it been since Constance has seen her husband at the beginning of the book?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 2 months.
6. What does Constance like to do with young men before she gets married?
(a) Make them look foolish.
(b) Flirt with them.
(c) Dance with them.
(d) Debate with them.
7. Who takes the role of what Connie does for Clifford at night?
(c) Aunt Eva.
(d) Mrs. Bolton.
8. What does Constance expect the villagers to do when she moves into her new estate with Clifford?
(a) Taunt her.
(b) Beg for money.
(c) Ignore her.
(d) Welcome her.
9. What does Clifford's father do to the grounds to help the war effort?
(a) Cut down some oak trees.
(b) Donated some land.
(c) Mined for the needed steel.
(d) Allowed poor families to build houses on the land.
10. What does Connie say she is not attracted to at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Her lifestyle.
(c) Other men.
(d) Her self-image.
11. Where does Clifford's sister live?
12. How does Connie view what she and Clifford do together at night?
(a) It is pleasant.
(b) It is what is expected of her.
(c) It is a chore.
(d) It is inconvenient.
13. What improves for Clifford during Connie's affair with Michaelis?
(a) His patience.
(b) His ambition.
(c) His writing.
(d) His appetite.
14. What does Connie ask Dukes while they are alone together?
(a) Why men and women don't like each other.
(b) Is monogamy possible.
(c) Is intimacy essential.
(d) What happened to private intimacy.
15. What does Clifford's aunt think should be put into the air to make life better?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this book take place?
2. What is the name of the new chemical works factory near Wragby Hall?
3. What does Clifford enjoy doing with his new nurse?
4. What kind of injury does Clifford have at the beginning of the book?
5. What is Dukes' first name?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)