|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lady Audley do before leaving Mount Stanning?
(a) Asks Phoebe to burn it down.
(b) Pays Luke to burn it down.
(c) Pays the groom to set it on fire.
(d) Sets it on fire.
2. What does Lady Audley claim she attempted to do when George first confronted her with the truth?
(a) Bribe him.
(b) Promised to return to him.
(c) Make him a partner.
(d) Asked him to help fake her death.
3. Whose room does Lady Audley lock before leaving Mount Stanning?
4. Where is the school located where Lucy Graham worked before coming to Essex?
5. What does Mrs. Balkham say Helen Talboys did after George left for Australia without warning?
(a) She tried to marry another man, but could not.
(b) She became depressed and destitute.
(c) She gave her baby to strangers and committed suicide.
(d) She tried to work.
6. Who is Mrs. Balkham?
(a) A woman from the Isle of Wight who knows Captain Maldon.
(b) A woman from London who was good friends with Lady Audley.
(c) A woman from Wildernsea who remembers Helen Talboys.
(d) A woman from Australia who knew George.
7. What did Robert think Lady Audley would do when he confronted her with proof of her secret?
(a) She would leave quietly.
(b) She would tell him where George is.
(c) She would confess to Lord Audley.
(d) She would give herself up to the police.
8. Why does Lady Audley go to Mount Stanning?
(a) To pay a bribe to Luke and Phoebe.
(b) To beg Robert to keep her secret.
(c) To confess to Robert.
(d) To ask for Luke's help in hiding George's body.
9. Why does Robert return to the home of the Talboys?
(a) To tell them about Helen's illness.
(b) To tell them George is alive.
(c) All of the above.
(d) To see Clara.
10. Who does Robert learn was Lucy Graham's employer before she came to Essex?
(a) Mrs. Vincent.
(b) Mrs. Plowson.
(c) Mrs. Taylor.
(d) Mrs. Gilbert.
11. Why do Robert and Clara plan a trip to Australia?
(a) To claim George's fortune.
(b) To look for George.
(c) To show Georgie where his father made his fortune.
(d) To check on George's property there.
12. What reason does Robert believe Lady Audley had for faking Helen Talboys death and marrying Lord Audley?
13. Why does Lady Audley say she felt the need to kill her husband?
(a) Because he wanted her to return to the Isle of Wight with him.
(b) Because he wanted to take their child away.
(c) Because he wanted a divorce.
(d) Because he refused to keep her secrets.
14. What plan does Lady Audley concoct to make Robert leave Audley Court?
(a) She plans to convince Lord Audley that Robert is insane.
(b) She plans to convince Lord Audley that Robert hit her.
(c) She plans to convince Lord Audley that Robert made a pass at her.
(d) She plans to convince Lord Audley that Robert stole from her.
15. Who suspects Lady Audley of setting the fire at Mount Stanning?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Robert determined to prove Lady Audley's connection to George's disappearance?
2. What was Lady Audley attempting to protect when she killed George?
3. Why does Phoebe come to visit Lady Audley?
4. What does Lady Audley claim happened to her mother when she was only an infant?
5. What does the doctor initially recommend be done with Lady Audley?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)