|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item did Helen Talboys leave with Mrs. Balkham when she left town?
(a) A note expressing her intentions to die.
(b) A note expressing her desire to find her fortune.
(c) A letter from George asking for a divorce.
(d) A letter from Captain Maldon announcing the death of her mother.
2. How does Lady Audley react to Robert's accusations?
(a) She becomes frightened.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She offers proof against his accusations.
(d) She calls him a liar.
3. What does Halcourt suggest Robert do with his investigation into George's disappearance?
(a) Hire an investigator.
(b) Go to Wildernsea.
(c) Stop it.
(d) Look in Australia.
4. What does Mrs. Balkham say Helen Talboys did after George left for Australia without warning?
(a) She became depressed and destitute.
(b) She tried to marry another man, but could not.
(c) She tried to work.
(d) She gave her baby to strangers and committed suicide.
5. Whose room does Lady Audley lock before leaving Mount Stanning?
6. Who is Mrs. Balkham?
(a) A woman from London who was good friends with Lady Audley.
(b) A woman from Australia who knew George.
(c) A woman from Wildernsea who remembers Helen Talboys.
(d) A woman from the Isle of Wight who knows Captain Maldon.
7. Where is the institute the doctor recommends for Lady Audley?
8. Who finally arrives at Audley Court with news of the fire at Mount Stanning?
(b) A groom.
9. What does Lady Audley claim she attempted to do when George first confronted her with the truth?
(a) Bribe him.
(b) Make him a partner.
(c) Promised to return to him.
(d) Asked him to help fake her death.
10. Why does Lady Audley claim that Helen Talboys married George Talboys?
(a) For his money.
(b) For love.
(c) For the sake of the child.
(d) For her father.
11. Why does Robert return to the home of the Talboys?
(a) To tell them George is alive.
(b) To see Clara.
(c) To tell them about Helen's illness.
(d) All of the above.
12. What does Clara ask Robert to do with George's killer should he or she be found?
(a) Leave them alone.
(b) Kill them or allow her to do it.
(c) Have them arrested.
(d) Take back George's personal letters from them.
13. What does Clara say is Halcourt Talboys' reason for treating Robert and his news as he did?
(a) Halcourt is senile.
(b) Halcourt killed George himself.
(c) Halcourt thinks George's disappearance is a trick to regain his lost inheritance.
(d) Halcourt never liked George anyway.
14. Who does Robert learn was Lucy Graham's employer before she came to Essex?
(a) Mrs. Vincent.
(b) Mrs. Gilbert.
(c) Mrs. Plowson.
(d) Mrs. Taylor.
15. What item does Phoebe give to Lady Audley?
(a) A picture.
(b) A book.
(c) A baby slipper.
(d) A letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Robert believe Lady Audley had for faking Helen Talboys death and marrying Lord Audley?
2. What is the nature of the falling out Halcourt Talboys and George Talboys have had?
3. What is Halcourt's reaction to Robert's visit?
4. What plan does Lady Audley concoct to make Robert leave Audley Court?
5. What does Lady Audley say she did after George abandoned her?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)