|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lady Audley say she felt the need to kill her husband?
(a) Because he wanted a divorce.
(b) Because he refused to keep her secrets.
(c) Because he wanted to take their child away.
(d) Because he wanted her to return to the Isle of Wight with him.
2. What item does Phoebe give to Lady Audley?
(a) A picture.
(b) A letter.
(c) A book.
(d) A baby slipper.
3. Who is Mrs. Balkham?
(a) A woman from London who was good friends with Lady Audley.
(b) A woman from the Isle of Wight who knows Captain Maldon.
(c) A woman from Australia who knew George.
(d) A woman from Wildernsea who remembers Helen Talboys.
4. Why does Robert encourage Alicia to travel with her father?
(a) To save her from learning the truth about Lady Audley.
(b) To help make amends in their relationship.
(c) To place her in a position to find a husband.
(d) To protect Lord Audley from allowing his shock to make him ill.
5. Why does Robert return to the home of the Talboys?
(a) To see Clara.
(b) To tell them George is alive.
(c) All of the above.
(d) To tell them about Helen's illness.
6. Why is Phoebe unhappy owning an inn?
(a) Because they do not make enough money.
(b) Because the guests are too demanding.
(c) Because her husband has become a drunkard.
(d) Because the work is too hard.
7. What does the doctor find after examining Lady Audley?
(a) She is perfectly sane.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is suffering the plague.
(d) She is ill and needs help.
8. What illness does Robert accuse Lady Audley of having as they walk alone on the Lime Walk?
(a) Mental illness.
(c) The Plague.
(d) Morning sickness.
9. What place does Sir Michael swear he will never go to again?
(b) Audley Court.
10. What item did Lucy Graham leave behind after she stopped working for the school that was her employer before Essex?
(a) A stack of clothing.
(b) A letter.
(d) A box.
11. Why did Lady Audley fake her death?
(a) To free herself from her alcoholic father.
(b) To free herself to marry again, this time for money.
(c) To free herself to marry again, this time for love.
(d) To free herself from her child.
12. What is Halcourt's reaction to Robert's visit?
13. Why does George return to England shortly before Robert's planned trip to Australia?
(a) To recover his lost luggage.
(b) To take custody of his child.
(c) To renew his acquaintanceship with his good friend.
(d) To plot revenge against Helen.
14. What plan does Lady Audley concoct to make Robert leave Audley Court?
(a) She plans to convince Lord Audley that Robert is insane.
(b) She plans to convince Lord Audley that Robert stole from her.
(c) She plans to convince Lord Audley that Robert hit her.
(d) She plans to convince Lord Audley that Robert made a pass at her.
15. What does Lady Audley say she did after George abandoned her?
(a) Sought a divorce.
(b) Faked her death.
(d) Abandoned her child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the school located where Lucy Graham worked before coming to Essex?
2. Whose room does Lady Audley lock before leaving Mount Stanning?
3. Why does Alicia Audley think Robert has asked for a walk alone with Lady Audley?
4. Why does Robert believe Lady Audley might leave Audley Court without his interference?
5. How does Robert reveal what he feels about Alicia?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)