|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lady Audley go to Mount Stanning?
(a) To pay a bribe to Luke and Phoebe.
(b) To beg Robert to keep her secret.
(c) To ask for Luke's help in hiding George's body.
(d) To confess to Robert.
2. Why do Robert and Clara plan a trip to Australia?
(a) To check on George's property there.
(b) To look for George.
(c) To claim George's fortune.
(d) To show Georgie where his father made his fortune.
3. What was Lady Audley attempting to protect when she killed George?
(a) Her position as Lady Audley.
(b) Her husband, Lord Audley.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her child.
4. What does Clara send to Robert in order to aid his investigation?
(a) Letters from Clara to George.
(b) Letters from Helen to George.
(c) Letters from George to Helen.
(d) Letters to her from George.
5. What item did Helen Talboys leave with Mrs. Balkham when she left town?
(a) A note expressing her intentions to die.
(b) A letter from George asking for a divorce.
(c) A letter from Captain Maldon announcing the death of her mother.
(d) A note expressing her desire to find her fortune.
6. Where is the school located where Lucy Graham worked before coming to Essex?
7. Why is Phoebe unhappy owning an inn?
(a) Because the guests are too demanding.
(b) Because her husband has become a drunkard.
(c) Because the work is too hard.
(d) Because they do not make enough money.
8. What item does Phoebe give to Lady Audley?
(a) A book.
(b) A letter.
(c) A baby slipper.
(d) A picture.
9. What name does Helen Talboys/Lady Audley take while in the sanitarium?
(a) Mrs. Maldon.
(b) Mrs. Talboys.
(c) Mrs. Padson.
(d) Mrs. Taylor.
10. Whose room does Lady Audley lock before leaving Mount Stanning?
11. To whom are clues in the letters from Clara damning in regards to Robert's investigation?
(a) Lady Audley.
12. What does Robert take from the item Lucy Graham left behind with her former employer?
(a) A label.
(b) A letter.
(c) A bill.
(d) A blouse.
13. What proof does Luke have to support his story of George's fall into the well?
(a) George's buried body.
(b) George's new address.
(c) Two letters written by George to Lady Audley and Robert.
(d) George's wallet.
14. What does Lady Audley do before leaving Mount Stanning?
(a) Pays Luke to burn it down.
(b) Pays the groom to set it on fire.
(c) Sets it on fire.
(d) Asks Phoebe to burn it down.
15. What does the doctor initially recommend be done with Lady Audley?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Halcourt Talboys?
2. Who is Mrs. Balkham?
3. What does Clara ask Robert to do with George's killer should he or she be found?
4. Who does Robert meet upon returning to Essex?
5. Why does Lady Audley say she felt the need to kill her husband?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)