|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clara ask Robert to do with George's killer should he or she be found?
(a) Have them arrested.
(b) Kill them or allow her to do it.
(c) Leave them alone.
(d) Take back George's personal letters from them.
2. Why does Robert encourage Alicia to travel with her father?
(a) To protect Lord Audley from allowing his shock to make him ill.
(b) To save her from learning the truth about Lady Audley.
(c) To help make amends in their relationship.
(d) To place her in a position to find a husband.
3. How does the item Mrs. Balkham gives to Robert connect Lady Audley to Helen Talboys?
(a) It mentions a friendshipw ith Lady Audley.
(b) It is in Lady Audley's handwriting, but signed Helen Talboys.
(c) It describes an extortion attempt on Lady Audley.
(d) It expresses Helen's intention to become Lady Audley.
4. What does Lady Audley claim she attempted to do when George first confronted her with the truth?
(a) Promised to return to him.
(b) Make him a partner.
(c) Asked him to help fake her death.
(d) Bribe him.
5. Who is Halcourt Talboys?
(a) George's brother.
(b) George's father.
(c) George's cousin.
(d) George's grandfather.
6. What does Lady Audley say she did after George abandoned her?
(a) Abandoned her child.
(b) Sought a divorce.
(c) Faked her death.
7. With whom does Robert find himself comparing Clara Talboys?
(a) Alicia Audley.
(b) Lady Audley.
(c) Emily Browning.
(d) His childhood love, Elizabeth.
8. What idea does Phoebe plant in Lady Audley's mind during their conversation?
(a) A fire at the inn.
(b) Murder to end extortion.
(c) Drinking to soothe stress.
(d) A beating for Luke to stop the extortion.
9. Why does George return to England shortly before Robert's planned trip to Australia?
(a) To recover his lost luggage.
(b) To plot revenge against Helen.
(c) To take custody of his child.
(d) To renew his acquaintanceship with his good friend.
10. Why is Phoebe unhappy owning an inn?
(a) Because the work is too hard.
(b) Because the guests are too demanding.
(c) Because her husband has become a drunkard.
(d) Because they do not make enough money.
11. Why is Robert determined to prove Lady Audley's connection to George's disappearance?
(a) To force Lady Audley to be his lover.
(b) To protect his uncle.
(c) To extort money from Lady Audley.
(d) A loyalty to his friend and respect for his sister.
12. How does Robert reveal what he feels about Alicia?
(a) Robert is fond of her, but not in love.
(b) Robert dislikes her.
(c) Robert wishes they were not related so he could marry her.
(d) Robert is in love with her.
13. Why does Robert believe Lady Audley might leave Audley Court without his interference?
(a) The warning Captain Maldon should have given her.
(b) A warning from Clara Talboys.
(c) Knowledge of the letters Clara provided Robert.
(d) Knowledge of Robert's continued investigation.
14. Who claims to have a witness who can prove Lady Audley and Helen Talboys are one and the same?
15. Why does Alicia write Robert and promise that she is keeping Sir Michael as busy as possible?
(a) So he will not try to rescue Lady Audley from the hospital.
(b) So he will not think of his wife.
(c) So he will not return to Audley Court too soon.
(d) So he will not become ill with grief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Robert meet upon returning to Essex?
2. Why did Lady Audley fake her death?
3. Why does Phoebe come to visit Lady Audley?
4. Why do Robert and Clara plan a trip to Australia?
5. What does Halcourt suggest Robert do with his investigation into George's disappearance?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)