|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lady Audley attempting to protect when she killed George?
(a) Her position as Lady Audley.
(b) Her child.
(c) Her husband, Lord Audley.
(d) Her father.
2. What threat does Lady Audley make against Robert?
(a) She promises to tell her husband they are lovers.
(b) She promises to throw him in an asylum.
(c) She threatens to kill Lord Audley.
(d) She threatens to kill him.
3. Who claims to have a witness who can prove Lady Audley and Helen Talboys are one and the same?
4. Why does Robert not go to the police with Lady Audley's secret?
(a) To protect George's family name.
(b) To protect George's son.
(c) To protect the family name.
(d) To protect a woman he has come to love.
5. How does the item Mrs. Balkham gives to Robert connect Lady Audley to Helen Talboys?
(a) It mentions a friendshipw ith Lady Audley.
(b) It describes an extortion attempt on Lady Audley.
(c) It expresses Helen's intention to become Lady Audley.
(d) It is in Lady Audley's handwriting, but signed Helen Talboys.
6. Who is Halcourt Talboys?
(a) George's father.
(b) George's brother.
(c) George's cousin.
(d) George's grandfather.
7. What is the nature of the falling out Halcourt Talboys and George Talboys have had?
(a) George disgraced the family by having a child out of wedlock.
(b) George was disowned for marrying Helen.
(c) George disgraced the family with alcohol use.
(d) George stole from Halcourt.
8. What event forces Robert to return to the investigation sooner than he expected?
(a) The discovery of new evidence.
(b) News of George's reappearance.
(c) Lord Audley's illness.
(d) Lady Audley's illness.
9. What event does Lady Audley suggest has caused Robert's odd behaviors?
(a) A new drinking problem.
(b) An infatuation with Lady Audley.
(c) The disappearance of George Talboys.
(d) A broken relationship.
10. Why did Lady Audley fake her death?
(a) To free herself from her alcoholic father.
(b) To free herself to marry again, this time for money.
(c) To free herself from her child.
(d) To free herself to marry again, this time for love.
11. What does the doctor find after examining Lady Audley?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is suffering the plague.
(c) She is ill and needs help.
(d) She is perfectly sane.
12. What is Halcourt's reaction to Robert's visit?
13. Who does Robert speak to about Lucy Graham?
(a) The Talboys.
(b) The Markses.
(c) The Maldons.
(d) The Dawsons.
14. Who does Luke reveal saw Lady Audley push George into a dry well?
(c) A cook's assistant.
(d) A groom.
15. With whom does Robert find himself comparing Clara Talboys?
(a) Alicia Audley.
(b) His childhood love, Elizabeth.
(c) Emily Browning.
(d) Lady Audley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lime Walk get its name?
2. How does Lady Audley make herself cry when she goes to speak to Lord Audley?
3. What does Halcourt suggest Robert do with his investigation into George's disappearance?
4. Why does Robert encourage Alicia to travel with her father?
5. Why does George return to England shortly before Robert's planned trip to Australia?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)