|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Clara chase Robert out of Halcourt Talboys house?
(a) To convince him to keep looking for George or his killer.
(b) To ask about George's child.
(c) To apologize for Halcourt's behavior.
(d) To tell him what she knows about Helen Talboys.
2. Why is Phoebe unhappy owning an inn?
(a) Because the guests are too demanding.
(b) Because the work is too hard.
(c) Because they do not make enough money.
(d) Because her husband has become a drunkard.
3. Who does Robert learn was Lucy Graham's employer before she came to Essex?
(a) Mrs. Plowson.
(b) Mrs. Gilbert.
(c) Mrs. Taylor.
(d) Mrs. Vincent.
4. Who does Lady Audley hope to turn against Robert with a plan she concocts?
(a) Alicia Audley.
(c) Lord Audley.
(d) Luke Marks.
5. What does Clara say is Halcourt Talboys' reason for treating Robert and his news as he did?
(a) Halcourt is senile.
(b) Halcourt killed George himself.
(c) Halcourt never liked George anyway.
(d) Halcourt thinks George's disappearance is a trick to regain his lost inheritance.
6. What does Lady Audley claim happened to her mother when she was only an infant?
(a) She was disinherited by her wealthy father.
(b) She commited suicide.
(c) She died in childbirth.
(d) She went insane.
7. Who suspects Lady Audley of setting the fire at Mount Stanning?
8. Why does Robert return to Audley Court?
(a) To remove Lady Audley's things.
(b) To live in Audley Court now that it is vacant.
(c) To close up the house for his uncle.
(d) To find and bury George.
9. Who described Lady Audley in such a way that she resembled Helen Talboys?
(c) Captain Maldon.
10. What idea does Phoebe plant in Lady Audley's mind during their conversation?
(a) A beating for Luke to stop the extortion.
(b) Murder to end extortion.
(c) A fire at the inn.
(d) Drinking to soothe stress.
11. What does Lady Audley say she did after George abandoned her?
(a) Sought a divorce.
(c) Abandoned her child.
(d) Faked her death.
12. Why does Lady Audley go to Mount Stanning?
(a) To ask for Luke's help in hiding George's body.
(b) To confess to Robert.
(c) To beg Robert to keep her secret.
(d) To pay a bribe to Luke and Phoebe.
13. What does the doctor initially recommend be done with Lady Audley?
14. What does Robert tell the doctor that changes his mind about Lady Audley's physical and mental condition?
(a) That she has threatened to kill herself.
(b) That she has a history of violent behavior.
(c) That she attempted to poison her current husband.
(d) That she killed her first husband.
15. What place does Sir Michael swear he will never go to again?
(b) Audley Court.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Phoebe give for asking for this money?
2. Who does Robert meet upon returning to Essex?
3. Why does Lord Audley banish Robert from Audley Court?
4. How does Lady Audley make herself cry when she goes to speak to Lord Audley?
5. What was Lady Audley attempting to protect when she killed George?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)