|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who requests to speak with Robert upon his return to Essex?
(a) Lady Audley.
(b) Alicia Audley.
(c) Phoebe Marks.
(d) Luke Marks.
2. What idea does Phoebe plant in Lady Audley's mind during their conversation?
(a) Murder to end extortion.
(b) A beating for Luke to stop the extortion.
(c) Drinking to soothe stress.
(d) A fire at the inn.
3. What does Halcourt suggest Robert do with his investigation into George's disappearance?
(a) Look in Australia.
(b) Stop it.
(c) Go to Wildernsea.
(d) Hire an investigator.
4. What does Robert tell the doctor that changes his mind about Lady Audley's physical and mental condition?
(a) That she attempted to poison her current husband.
(b) That she has a history of violent behavior.
(c) That she has threatened to kill herself.
(d) That she killed her first husband.
5. Who described Lady Audley in such a way that she resembled Helen Talboys?
(c) Captain Maldon.
6. What item did Helen Talboys leave with Mrs. Balkham when she left town?
(a) A letter from Captain Maldon announcing the death of her mother.
(b) A note expressing her intentions to die.
(c) A note expressing her desire to find her fortune.
(d) A letter from George asking for a divorce.
7. Where did Lime Walk get its name?
(a) The lime trees that line the path.
(b) The lime trees the path leads to.
(c) The lime that grows on the stones.
(d) The lime color of the stone path.
8. Why did Lady Audley fake her death?
(a) To free herself from her alcoholic father.
(b) To free herself from her child.
(c) To free herself to marry again, this time for money.
(d) To free herself to marry again, this time for love.
9. What does Clara send to Robert in order to aid his investigation?
(a) Letters from Clara to George.
(b) Letters from Helen to George.
(c) Letters to her from George.
(d) Letters from George to Helen.
10. What event does Lady Audley suggest has caused Robert's odd behaviors?
(a) The disappearance of George Talboys.
(b) An infatuation with Lady Audley.
(c) A broken relationship.
(d) A new drinking problem.
11. What does the doctor initially recommend be done with Lady Audley?
12. Why does Lady Audley go to Mount Stanning?
(a) To beg Robert to keep her secret.
(b) To confess to Robert.
(c) To pay a bribe to Luke and Phoebe.
(d) To ask for Luke's help in hiding George's body.
13. How does Robert reveal what he feels about Alicia?
(a) Robert wishes they were not related so he could marry her.
(b) Robert dislikes her.
(c) Robert is in love with her.
(d) Robert is fond of her, but not in love.
14. Why is Robert determined to prove Lady Audley's connection to George's disappearance?
(a) To force Lady Audley to be his lover.
(b) To extort money from Lady Audley.
(c) A loyalty to his friend and respect for his sister.
(d) To protect his uncle.
15. Who does Lady Audley hope to turn against Robert with a plan she concocts?
(a) Luke Marks.
(c) Alicia Audley.
(d) Lord Audley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the item that Robert takes from Lucy Graham's former employer lead Robert?
2. Why does Robert encourage Alicia to travel with her father?
3. What event forces Robert to return to the investigation sooner than he expected?
4. Why does Alicia Audley think Robert has asked for a walk alone with Lady Audley?
5. What is Halcourt's reaction to Robert's visit?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)