|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lady Audley say she felt the need to kill her husband?
(a) Because he wanted a divorce.
(b) Because he wanted to take their child away.
(c) Because he wanted her to return to the Isle of Wight with him.
(d) Because he refused to keep her secrets.
2. Why does Lady Audley believe her secret will never be revealed?
(a) Because she has the money to bribe anyone who knows the truth.
(b) Because she is innocent.
(c) Because she is willing to kill anyone who learns the truth.
(d) Because she has covered her tracks too well.
3. With whom does Robert find himself comparing Clara Talboys?
(a) Emily Browning.
(b) Lady Audley.
(c) Alicia Audley.
(d) His childhood love, Elizabeth.
4. Who is Halcourt Talboys?
(a) George's brother.
(b) George's cousin.
(c) George's father.
(d) George's grandfather.
5. Where does George reveal he has been all this time?
6. Why does Clara chase Robert out of Halcourt Talboys house?
(a) To apologize for Halcourt's behavior.
(b) To tell him what she knows about Helen Talboys.
(c) To convince him to keep looking for George or his killer.
(d) To ask about George's child.
7. Why does Robert want to walk alone with Lady Audley in Chapter 11 of Volume 2?
(a) To ask where George has gone.
(b) To plan a surprise party for Lord Audley.
(c) To share a romantic moment alone.
(d) To tell her what he has learned about her and Helen Talboys.
8. Why does Robert call a doctor to examine Lady Audley?
(a) Because she has begun to run a fever.
(b) Because of her family history of madness.
(c) Because of her odd behavior.
(d) Because he is afraid she might hurt herself.
9. What does Lord Audley insist does not run in the Audley family genes?
(a) Immoral behavior.
10. Why is Robert determined to prove Lady Audley's connection to George's disappearance?
(a) A loyalty to his friend and respect for his sister.
(b) To extort money from Lady Audley.
(c) To protect his uncle.
(d) To force Lady Audley to be his lover.
11. What does the doctor initially recommend be done with Lady Audley?
12. What does Mrs. Balkham say Helen Talboys did after George left for Australia without warning?
(a) She tried to marry another man, but could not.
(b) She gave her baby to strangers and committed suicide.
(c) She became depressed and destitute.
(d) She tried to work.
13. Where does Lady Audley claim George is?
(a) On a boat to Australia.
(b) The bottom of a dry well.
(c) Drowned in the river in Essex.
(d) Buried in the garden at Audley Court.
14. Why does George return to England shortly before Robert's planned trip to Australia?
(a) To renew his acquaintanceship with his good friend.
(b) To take custody of his child.
(c) To recover his lost luggage.
(d) To plot revenge against Helen.
15. What does Lady Audley do before leaving Mount Stanning?
(a) Asks Phoebe to burn it down.
(b) Sets it on fire.
(c) Pays the groom to set it on fire.
(d) Pays Luke to burn it down.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert not go to the police with Lady Audley's secret?
2. Who does Robert meet upon returning to Essex?
3. What does Lady Audley claim happened to her mother when she was only an infant?
4. What was Lady Audley attempting to protect when she killed George?
5. Where is the institute the doctor recommends for Lady Audley?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)