|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lady Audley make herself cry when she goes to speak to Lord Audley?
(a) She cuts up onions.
(b) She draws on the stress of Robert's investigation.
(c) She imagines Lord Audley asking for a divorce.
(d) She pinches herself.
2. What does Mrs. Balkham say Helen Talboys did after George left for Australia without warning?
(a) She tried to marry another man, but could not.
(b) She became depressed and destitute.
(c) She tried to work.
(d) She gave her baby to strangers and committed suicide.
3. What item did Lucy Graham leave behind after she stopped working for the school that was her employer before Essex?
(a) A stack of clothing.
(b) A box.
(c) A letter.
4. What plan does Lady Audley concoct to make Robert leave Audley Court?
(a) She plans to convince Lord Audley that Robert stole from her.
(b) She plans to convince Lord Audley that Robert is insane.
(c) She plans to convince Lord Audley that Robert made a pass at her.
(d) She plans to convince Lord Audley that Robert hit her.
5. How does Lord Audley react to Lady Audley's tears?
(a) With disbelief.
(b) With disinterest.
(c) With criticism.
(d) With care and concern.
6. Where does George reveal he has been all this time?
7. How does Robert reveal what he feels about Alicia?
(a) Robert wishes they were not related so he could marry her.
(b) Robert is fond of her, but not in love.
(c) Robert is in love with her.
(d) Robert dislikes her.
8. How does Lady Audley react to Robert's accusations?
(a) She offers proof against his accusations.
(b) She calls him a liar.
(c) She becomes frightened.
(d) She laughs.
9. What was Lady Audley attempting to protect when she killed George?
(a) Her husband, Lord Audley.
(b) Her child.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her position as Lady Audley.
10. Why does Lady Audley believe her secret will never be revealed?
(a) Because she has covered her tracks too well.
(b) Because she is innocent.
(c) Because she is willing to kill anyone who learns the truth.
(d) Because she has the money to bribe anyone who knows the truth.
11. Who does Robert learn was Lucy Graham's employer before she came to Essex?
(a) Mrs. Plowson.
(b) Mrs. Taylor.
(c) Mrs. Vincent.
(d) Mrs. Gilbert.
12. Why do Robert and Clara plan a trip to Australia?
(a) To check on George's property there.
(b) To claim George's fortune.
(c) To show Georgie where his father made his fortune.
(d) To look for George.
13. Who does Lady Audley hope to turn against Robert with a plan she concocts?
(b) Alicia Audley.
(c) Lord Audley.
(d) Luke Marks.
14. What does Clara ask Robert to do with George's killer should he or she be found?
(a) Take back George's personal letters from them.
(b) Leave them alone.
(c) Kill them or allow her to do it.
(d) Have them arrested.
15. Where is the school located where Lucy Graham worked before coming to Essex?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Audley imagine is driving her mad with anticipation?
2. What does Lord Audley insist does not run in the Audley family genes?
3. Who claims to have a witness who can prove Lady Audley and Helen Talboys are one and the same?
4. What does Halcourt suggest Robert do with his investigation into George's disappearance?
5. Why does Clara chase Robert out of Halcourt Talboys house?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)