|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Robert meet upon returning to Essex?
(a) George Talboys.
(b) Clara Talboys.
(c) Captain Maldon.
(d) Mrs. Taylor.
2. What place does Sir Michael swear he will never go to again?
(b) Audley Court.
3. What was Lady Audley attempting to protect when she killed George?
(a) Her child.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her husband, Lord Audley.
(d) Her position as Lady Audley.
4. Who finally arrives at Audley Court with news of the fire at Mount Stanning?
(d) A groom.
5. What does the doctor initially recommend be done with Lady Audley?
6. Why does Lady Audley say she felt the need to kill her husband?
(a) Because he wanted a divorce.
(b) Because he wanted her to return to the Isle of Wight with him.
(c) Because he refused to keep her secrets.
(d) Because he wanted to take their child away.
7. To whom are clues in the letters from Clara damning in regards to Robert's investigation?
(a) Lady Audley.
8. What does Lady Audley claim happened to her mother when she was only an infant?
(a) She commited suicide.
(b) She died in childbirth.
(c) She was disinherited by her wealthy father.
(d) She went insane.
9. Why do Robert and Clara plan a trip to Australia?
(a) To check on George's property there.
(b) To show Georgie where his father made his fortune.
(c) To look for George.
(d) To claim George's fortune.
10. What does Halcourt suggest Robert do with his investigation into George's disappearance?
(a) Look in Australia.
(b) Stop it.
(c) Hire an investigator.
(d) Go to Wildernsea.
11. What does Mrs. Balkham say Helen Talboys did after George left for Australia without warning?
(a) She gave her baby to strangers and committed suicide.
(b) She became depressed and destitute.
(c) She tried to marry another man, but could not.
(d) She tried to work.
12. What prompts Lady Audley to confess all to Lord Audley?
(a) Phoebe's insistence that Lady Audley paid her to start the fire.
(b) Luke's death.
(c) Robert's survival of the fire.
(d) Luke's accusation that she killed George.
13. Where does the item that Robert takes from Lucy Graham's former employer lead Robert?
(a) To London.
(b) To Wildernsea.
(c) To Australia.
(d) To Isle of Wight.
14. Who does Robert finally marry in the final pages of the book?
15. Who described Lady Audley in such a way that she resembled Helen Talboys?
(a) Captain Maldon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Robert determined to prove Lady Audley's connection to George's disappearance?
2. Who suspects Lady Audley of setting the fire at Mount Stanning?
3. Why does Robert want to walk alone with Lady Audley in Chapter 11 of Volume 2?
4. Why does Robert not go to the police with Lady Audley's secret?
5. Where does Lady Audley claim George is?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)