|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Robert visit Halcourt Talboys?
(a) To inform him of his investigation.
(b) To ask if he has seen George lately.
(c) To inform him of George's probable death.
(d) To ask for help in his investigation.
2. What does Halcourt suggest Robert do with his investigation into George's disappearance?
(a) Hire an investigator.
(b) Go to Wildernsea.
(c) Look in Australia.
(d) Stop it.
3. Why does Lady Audley claim that Helen Talboys married George Talboys?
(a) For her father.
(b) For love.
(c) For the sake of the child.
(d) For his money.
4. Who is Halcourt Talboys?
(a) George's grandfather.
(b) George's father.
(c) George's brother.
(d) George's cousin.
5. Why does Robert return to the home of the Talboys?
(a) All of the above.
(b) To tell them George is alive.
(c) To tell them about Helen's illness.
(d) To see Clara.
6. What does Lord Audley insist does not run in the Audley family genes?
(d) Immoral behavior.
7. Why is Robert determined to prove Lady Audley's connection to George's disappearance?
(a) To extort money from Lady Audley.
(b) To protect his uncle.
(c) A loyalty to his friend and respect for his sister.
(d) To force Lady Audley to be his lover.
8. What item does Phoebe give to Lady Audley?
(a) A book.
(b) A letter.
(c) A picture.
(d) A baby slipper.
9. What reason does Robert believe Lady Audley had for faking Helen Talboys death and marrying Lord Audley?
10. How does Lady Audley react to Robert's accusations?
(a) She becomes frightened.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She calls him a liar.
(d) She offers proof against his accusations.
11. What did Robert think Lady Audley would do when he confronted her with proof of her secret?
(a) She would give herself up to the police.
(b) She would leave quietly.
(c) She would confess to Lord Audley.
(d) She would tell him where George is.
12. Why does Phoebe come to visit Lady Audley?
(a) To inform her that Robert is at Mount Stanton.
(b) To ask for money.
(c) To complain about her husband.
(d) To train Lady Audley's new maid.
13. What does the doctor find after examining Lady Audley?
(a) She is suffering the plague.
(b) She is ill and needs help.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is perfectly sane.
14. Where is the school located where Lucy Graham worked before coming to Essex?
15. Why did Lady Audley fake her death?
(a) To free herself from her child.
(b) To free herself to marry again, this time for money.
(c) To free herself to marry again, this time for love.
(d) To free herself from her alcoholic father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Phoebe unhappy owning an inn?
2. What prompts Lady Audley to confess all to Lord Audley?
3. How does Robert reveal what he feels about Alicia?
4. What does Clara say is Halcourt Talboys' reason for treating Robert and his news as he did?
5. Where does the item that Robert takes from Lucy Graham's former employer lead Robert?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)