|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the school located where Lucy Graham worked before coming to Essex?
2. What illness does Robert accuse Lady Audley of having as they walk alone on the Lime Walk?
(a) Morning sickness.
(c) Mental illness.
(d) The Plague.
3. Who is Halcourt Talboys?
(a) George's grandfather.
(b) George's father.
(c) George's cousin.
(d) George's brother.
4. Why does Robert want to walk alone with Lady Audley in Chapter 11 of Volume 2?
(a) To plan a surprise party for Lord Audley.
(b) To ask where George has gone.
(c) To share a romantic moment alone.
(d) To tell her what he has learned about her and Helen Talboys.
5. Who finally arrives at Audley Court with news of the fire at Mount Stanning?
(d) A groom.
6. Why is Robert determined to prove Lady Audley's connection to George's disappearance?
(a) A loyalty to his friend and respect for his sister.
(b) To extort money from Lady Audley.
(c) To protect his uncle.
(d) To force Lady Audley to be his lover.
7. What threat does Lady Audley make against Robert?
(a) She threatens to kill him.
(b) She threatens to kill Lord Audley.
(c) She promises to tell her husband they are lovers.
(d) She promises to throw him in an asylum.
8. What is Halcourt's reaction to Robert's visit?
9. Who does Robert finally marry in the final pages of the book?
10. Why does Lord Audley banish Robert from Audley Court?
(a) To please his wife.
(b) To protect his daughter.
(c) To protect his belongings.
(d) To please his daughter.
11. What name does Helen Talboys/Lady Audley take while in the sanitarium?
(a) Mrs. Taylor.
(b) Mrs. Talboys.
(c) Mrs. Padson.
(d) Mrs. Maldon.
12. Why does Robert encourage Alicia to travel with her father?
(a) To help make amends in their relationship.
(b) To place her in a position to find a husband.
(c) To protect Lord Audley from allowing his shock to make him ill.
(d) To save her from learning the truth about Lady Audley.
13. What does Clara send to Robert in order to aid his investigation?
(a) Letters to her from George.
(b) Letters from George to Helen.
(c) Letters from Clara to George.
(d) Letters from Helen to George.
14. Who does Luke reveal saw Lady Audley push George into a dry well?
(c) A groom.
(d) A cook's assistant.
15. Who does Robert learn was Lucy Graham's employer before she came to Essex?
(a) Mrs. Gilbert.
(b) Mrs. Taylor.
(c) Mrs. Plowson.
(d) Mrs. Vincent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts Lady Audley to confess all to Lord Audley?
2. Why does Lady Audley say she felt the need to kill her husband?
3. Who does Lady Audley hope to turn against Robert with a plan she concocts?
4. What idea does Phoebe plant in Lady Audley's mind during their conversation?
5. Why does Lady Audley believe her secret will never be revealed?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)