|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Helen Talboys/Lady Audley take while in the sanitarium?
(a) Mrs. Talboys.
(b) Mrs. Padson.
(c) Mrs. Taylor.
(d) Mrs. Maldon.
2. Where did Lime Walk get its name?
(a) The lime that grows on the stones.
(b) The lime trees that line the path.
(c) The lime trees the path leads to.
(d) The lime color of the stone path.
3. Where is the school located where Lucy Graham worked before coming to Essex?
4. Why does Robert encourage Alicia to travel with her father?
(a) To place her in a position to find a husband.
(b) To save her from learning the truth about Lady Audley.
(c) To help make amends in their relationship.
(d) To protect Lord Audley from allowing his shock to make him ill.
5. Why did Lady Audley fake her death?
(a) To free herself to marry again, this time for money.
(b) To free herself to marry again, this time for love.
(c) To free herself from her child.
(d) To free herself from her alcoholic father.
6. What prompts Lady Audley to confess all to Lord Audley?
(a) Phoebe's insistence that Lady Audley paid her to start the fire.
(b) Luke's accusation that she killed George.
(c) Robert's survival of the fire.
(d) Luke's death.
7. Why is Phoebe unhappy owning an inn?
(a) Because the work is too hard.
(b) Because her husband has become a drunkard.
(c) Because the guests are too demanding.
(d) Because they do not make enough money.
8. What did Robert think Lady Audley would do when he confronted her with proof of her secret?
(a) She would tell him where George is.
(b) She would give herself up to the police.
(c) She would confess to Lord Audley.
(d) She would leave quietly.
9. What does Lady Audley imagine is driving her mad with anticipation?
(a) Waiting for the news of the fire.
(b) Waiting for news of George's death.
(c) Waiting for news of Luke and Robert's deaths.
(d) Waiting for news of her son's death.
10. What does Halcourt suggest Robert do with his investigation into George's disappearance?
(a) Go to Wildernsea.
(b) Hire an investigator.
(c) Look in Australia.
(d) Stop it.
11. Where is the institute the doctor recommends for Lady Audley?
12. Who does Luke reveal saw Lady Audley push George into a dry well?
(a) A cook's assistant.
(c) A groom.
13. What does Clara send to Robert in order to aid his investigation?
(a) Letters from Clara to George.
(b) Letters from Helen to George.
(c) Letters to her from George.
(d) Letters from George to Helen.
14. What does Mrs. Balkham say Helen Talboys did after George left for Australia without warning?
(a) She tried to marry another man, but could not.
(b) She became depressed and destitute.
(c) She gave her baby to strangers and committed suicide.
(d) She tried to work.
15. Why does Robert return to the home of the Talboys?
(a) All of the above.
(b) To tell them George is alive.
(c) To see Clara.
(d) To tell them about Helen's illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Audley claim happened to her mother when she was only an infant?
2. What is Halcourt's reaction to Robert's visit?
3. Why does Lady Audley say she felt the need to kill her husband?
4. Why does Alicia Audley think Robert has asked for a walk alone with Lady Audley?
5. How does the item Mrs. Balkham gives to Robert connect Lady Audley to Helen Talboys?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)