|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicholas say Lisa called him "out of the blue" in "In the Basement"?
2. In "Middleman," what does Joshua tell Elsa he has done as an actor?
3. In "In the Basement," what does Maria do for a living?
4. In "Middleman," what does Joshua's father say about his time in the Navy?
5. In "In the Basement," why does the narrator believe Maria has a large amount of debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Nicholas and Maria tell the narrator and his wife about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
2. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb admit to trying to choke Kevin?
3. In "In the Basement," at what things does Nicholas feel Lisa failed in her life?
4. How does John feel at the end of "Middleman"?
5. In "In the Basement," what is kept in a basement?
6. What does Caleb discover when he returns to Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome"?
7. How does John try to help Elsa's acting career in "Middleman"?
8. What is the last thing Caleb does in "When in Rome"?
9. In "In the Basement," what history does the narrator give about Nicholas and Maria's relationship?
10. In "Middleman," what does John's father say about his time in the Navy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two similar characters who act differently. How do their different actions change what seems to make them similar? How does this provide a message about free will in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three titles of the stories in this collection. Consider their symbolism within the text, reference to themes and relationship to the overall collection. Compare and contrast the uses of titles. What does the author's titling strategy influence most in the entire collection?
Essay Topic 3
Most of the stories in this collection are centered on male characters and male concerns. How does this focus affect the definitions of gender within the text? What role/roles is/are assigned to women? What commentary on gender appears throughout this collection?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)