|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maria say she reacted to seeing Lisa's dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
2. Who becomes angry with Joshua after he helps Elsa in "Middleman"?
3. In "In the Basement," where does Lisa live?
4. Why do the narrator and his wife move carefully in Nicholas' apartment in "In the Basement"?
5. Where was Joshua's father stationed in the Navy in "Middleman"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Middleman," what does John's father say about his time in the Navy?
2. What is the last thing Caleb does in "When in Rome"?
3. How does John feel when Elsa asks him to no longer accompany her on auditions in "Middleman"?
4. After leaving Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome," why does Caleb return?
5. How does John feel at the end of "Middleman"?
6. How does John try to help Elsa's acting career in "Middleman"?
7. In "In the Basement," what is kept in a basement?
8. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe Lisa's lifestyle?
9. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb tell the story about visiting his brother in California?
10. Why do Nicholas and Maria tell the narrator and his wife about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the author's use of symbolism throughout this collection. Possibilities to consider are: the basement, money, cars, the plane, colors and clothing.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze how success is defined in this collection of stories. Compare and contrast the definitions of success in a few of the stories. How are these definitions made? Who ends up being successful and why? What overall theme of success is developed when you consider the collection as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
The entertainment business acts as a character itself in a few of the stories in this book. Analyze the role of the entertainment business in each of these stories. How does this further the plot, character and theme development? What message is delivered about the entertainment business?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)