|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "When in Rome," how does Caleb say Troy used to finance his drug habit?
2. In "In the Basement," what does the narrator say he heard about Maria and Nicholas' prior breakup?
3. How does Joshua get to kiss Elsa in "Middleman"?
4. In "Middleman," what does Joshua think of Elsa's acting skills the first time she performs for him?
5. How does Maria say she reacted to seeing Lisa's dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
Essay Topic 1
None of the romantic relationships in this collection are successful. Choose at least three romantic relationships to assess. What makes them failures? What message does the author convey with these relationships? What themes are constructed through these failed relationships?
Essay Topic 2
The entertainment business acts as a character itself in a few of the stories in this book. Analyze the role of the entertainment business in each of these stories. How does this further the plot, character and theme development? What message is delivered about the entertainment business?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is this collection realistic fiction? Define the genre and assess the collection to see if it fits. What other genres might be applicable to this collection? Why?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)