|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb say he didn't want Kevin to drive to dinner during his law school visit?
2. In "In the Basement," what does the narrator say he heard about Maria and Nicholas' prior breakup?
3. In "In the Basement," how many children does Lisa have?
4. Why does Caleb dislike helping his brother in "When in Rome"?
5. In "In the Basement," where does Lisa live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
None of the romantic relationships in this collection are successful. Choose at least three romantic relationships to assess. What makes them failures? What message does the author convey with these relationships? What themes are constructed through these failed relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters harbor secret desires in this collection. Compare and contrast at least two stories that focus on secret desires. How are they similar? How are they different? What lesson does the author create about secret desires through these stories?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the collection as a whole. Is there an overall theme that runs through each story? Define and analyze this theme. What does the author convey about this theme after reading every story?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)