|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "In the Basement," why does Nicholas say Lisa's husband's family teases him?
2. In "When in Rome," how does Kevin know Troy?
3. In "When in Rome," how does Caleb say he once chocked his brother?
4. In "In the Basement," why does the narrator believe Maria has a large amount of debt?
5. How does Maria say she reacted to seeing Lisa's dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "In the Basement," what is kept in a basement?
2. In "Middleman," what does John's father say about his time in the Navy?
3. Why do Nicholas and Maria tell the narrator and his wife about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
4. How does John feel about Judaism in "Middleman"?
5. In "Middleman," what makes Elsa talk to John?
6. How does John feel at the end of "Middleman"?
7. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe Lisa's lifestyle?
8. In "When in Rome," how do Caleb and Kevin react to being mugged?
9. How does the narrator of "In the Basement" feel about Nicholas' relationship with Maria?
10. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb admit to trying to choke Kevin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how success is defined in this collection of stories. Compare and contrast the definitions of success in a few of the stories. How are these definitions made? Who ends up being successful and why? What overall theme of success is developed when you consider the collection as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the stories in this collection are centered on male characters and male concerns. How does this focus affect the definitions of gender within the text? What role/roles is/are assigned to women? What commentary on gender appears throughout this collection?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the author's use of symbolism throughout this collection. Possibilities to consider are: the basement, money, cars, the plane, colors and clothing.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)