|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Caleb say Kevin went to buy drugs during his law school visit in "When in Rome"?
2. Where was Joshua's father stationed in the Navy in "Middleman"?
3. Why does Caleb say he thought he would be arrested in "When in Rome"?
4. Why does Joshua ask his parents about being Jewish in "Middleman"?
5. In "In the Basement," why is Nicholas unemployed?
Essay Topic 1
Morality is a major theme in many of these stories. Examine how the characters develop, display and grapple with morality. Compare and contrast the differences in moral values and explore the overall message about morality when you look at the book as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
The stories in this collection are narrated by both first and third person narrators. Examine the use of both styles of narration. Why does the author use each when he does? What purpose does each style of narration have? What are the strengths and weaknesses of both styles in this collection?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use mirroring in these stories? Choose at least three stories and analyze how mirroring among the characters and setting is used. What makes this device effective or ineffective?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)