|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Joshua's father stationed in the Navy in "Middleman"?
2. In "When in Rome," how does Kevin know Troy?
3. In "In the Basement," what does Nicholas say about his unborn child's gender?
4. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe the tone of Lisa's wedding?
5. In "Middleman," what does Joshua tell Elsa he has done as an actor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator's wife, Carla, say to him at the end of "In the Basement"?
2. How does John describe Elsa's acting skills in "Middleman"?
3. How does John feel when Elsa asks him to no longer accompany her on auditions in "Middleman"?
4. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb tell the story about visiting his brother in California?
5. In "In the Basement," what is kept in a basement?
6. What is the last thing Caleb does in "When in Rome"?
7. In "When in Rome," how do Caleb and Kevin react to being mugged?
8. What does Caleb discover when he returns to Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome"?
9. How does John feel at the end of "Middleman"?
10. Why do Nicholas and Maria tell the narrator and his wife about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze family as a reoccurring topic and theme in this collection. What role does family play in the individual stories? What is the commentary presented about this topic?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of dialogue in these stories to develop the plot, characters and themes. In what ways is the use of dialogue strong? In what ways is it weak? How does the author's style of dialogue affect the reader's understanding of the story and themes?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters harbor secret desires in this collection. Compare and contrast at least two stories that focus on secret desires. How are they similar? How are they different? What lesson does the author create about secret desires through these stories?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)