|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maria say she reacted to seeing Lisa's dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
2. At the end of "In the Basement," what does Carla tell the narrator?
3. In "Middleman," how long does Joshua help Elsa before she tells him to stop?
4. Whose sister is Elsa in "Middleman"?
5. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb believe Kevin pulled the car over after they avoided a traffic ticket?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of "In the Basement," how does the narrator feel?
2. In "Middleman," what does John's father say about his time in the Navy?
3. What is the last thing Caleb does in "When in Rome"?
4. After leaving Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome," why does Caleb return?
5. How does John feel about Judaism in "Middleman"?
6. How does John try to help Elsa's acting career in "Middleman"?
7. In "In the Basement," what history does the narrator give about Nicholas and Maria's relationship?
8. In "In the Basement," what is kept in a basement?
9. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb admit to trying to choke Kevin?
10. How does John describe Elsa's acting skills in "Middleman"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the stories in this collection are centered on male characters and male concerns. How does this focus affect the definitions of gender within the text? What role/roles is/are assigned to women? What commentary on gender appears throughout this collection?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in this collection of stories are opposites of one another. Analyze the use of opposite characters within a story or stories. How do they develop the plot? How do they develop the themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the differing roles the author constructs for adults and teenagers/children in these stories. Consider how they interact with each other as well as themselves. What message is conveyed about age groups?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)