|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "In the Basement," what does Maria do for a living?
2. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb start talking to Kevin again?
3. In "Middleman," why can't Joshua get Elsa's attention?
4. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb believe Kevin pulled the car over after they avoided a traffic ticket?
5. In "When in Rome," what does Caleb do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what was are Caleb and Kevin different in "When in Rome"?
2. In "In the Basement," at what things does Nicholas feel Lisa failed in her life?
3. How does the narrator of "In the Basement" feel about Nicholas' relationship with Maria?
4. In "In the Basement," what is kept in a basement?
5. How does John feel about Judaism in "Middleman"?
6. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb admit to trying to choke Kevin?
7. In "When in Rome," how do Caleb and Kevin react to being mugged?
8. In "Middleman," what does John's father say about his time in the Navy?
9. What does the narrator's wife, Carla, say to him at the end of "In the Basement"?
10. In "Middleman," how does John meet Elsa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories in this collection have vague or unclear endings. What role do these endings serve? What do the endings bring to a close? What message does the author convey with vague endings?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters harbor secret desires in this collection. Compare and contrast at least two stories that focus on secret desires. How are they similar? How are they different? What lesson does the author create about secret desires through these stories?
Essay Topic 3
Most of the stories in this collection are centered on male characters and male concerns. How does this focus affect the definitions of gender within the text? What role/roles is/are assigned to women? What commentary on gender appears throughout this collection?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)