|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What family radio program does Joshua record in "Middleman"?
2. In "In the Basement," how does the narrator feel about Maria taking Nicholas back?
3. Why does Caleb say he thought he would be arrested in "When in Rome"?
4. Why is Elsa impressed with Joshua's show business career in "Middleman"?
5. In "Middleman," why can't Joshua get Elsa's attention?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator of "In the Basement" feel about Nicholas' relationship with Maria?
2. In "In the Basement," at what things does Nicholas feel Lisa failed in her life?
3. How does John feel when Elsa asks him to no longer accompany her on auditions in "Middleman"?
4. Why do Nicholas and Maria tell the narrator and his wife about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
5. In "Middleman," how does John meet Elsa?
6. How does Caleb try to mend his relationship with Kevin in "When in Rome"?
7. How does John feel at the end of "Middleman"?
8. In what was are Caleb and Kevin different in "When in Rome"?
9. What does the narrator's wife, Carla, say to him at the end of "In the Basement"?
10. What does Caleb discover when he returns to Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how success is defined in this collection of stories. Compare and contrast the definitions of success in a few of the stories. How are these definitions made? Who ends up being successful and why? What overall theme of success is developed when you consider the collection as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use mirroring in these stories? Choose at least three stories and analyze how mirroring among the characters and setting is used. What makes this device effective or ineffective?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is this collection realistic fiction? Define the genre and assess the collection to see if it fits. What other genres might be applicable to this collection? Why?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)