|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb say he didn't want Kevin to drive to dinner during his law school visit?
2. In "When in Rome," who told Caleb to always be there for Kevin?
3. Why does Lisa keep her dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
4. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe the tone of Lisa's wedding?
5. Why does the narrator want to know more about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John feel about Judaism in "Middleman"?
2. How does the narrator of "In the Basement" feel about Nicholas' relationship with Maria?
3. At the end of "In the Basement," how does the narrator feel?
4. What does the narrator's wife, Carla, say to him at the end of "In the Basement"?
5. What does Caleb discover when he returns to Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome"?
6. How does John try to help Elsa's acting career in "Middleman"?
7. After leaving Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome," why does Caleb return?
8. In "In the Basement," what is kept in a basement?
9. How does John feel at the end of "Middleman"?
10. In "In the Basement," what history does the narrator give about Nicholas and Maria's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories in this collection have vague or unclear endings. What role do these endings serve? What do the endings bring to a close? What message does the author convey with vague endings?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is this collection realistic fiction? Define the genre and assess the collection to see if it fits. What other genres might be applicable to this collection? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the differing roles the author constructs for adults and teenagers/children in these stories. Consider how they interact with each other as well as themselves. What message is conveyed about age groups?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)