|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joshua define being Jewish in "Middleman"?
2. In "When in Rome," what does Caleb do for a living?
3. In "Middleman," how old is Joshua?
4. In "When in Rome," who told Caleb to always be there for Kevin?
5. Why does Caleb say Kevin did not get a traffic ticket in "When in Rome"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John feel about Judaism in "Middleman"?
2. In "In the Basement," at what things does Nicholas feel Lisa failed in her life?
3. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb admit to trying to choke Kevin?
4. After leaving Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome," why does Caleb return?
5. How does the narrator of "In the Basement" feel about Nicholas' relationship with Maria?
6. What does Caleb discover when he returns to Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome"?
7. At the end of "In the Basement," how does the narrator feel?
8. What does the narrator's wife, Carla, say to him at the end of "In the Basement"?
9. In "Middleman," what makes Elsa talk to John?
10. Why do Nicholas and Maria tell the narrator and his wife about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in this collection of stories are opposites of one another. Analyze the use of opposite characters within a story or stories. How do they develop the plot? How do they develop the themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use mirroring in these stories? Choose at least three stories and analyze how mirroring among the characters and setting is used. What makes this device effective or ineffective?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two similar characters who act differently. How do their different actions change what seems to make them similar? How does this provide a message about free will in the collection?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)