|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "In the Basement," what does Maria do for a living?
2. Why does the narrator want to know more about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
3. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe the tone of Lisa's wedding?
4. Why does Caleb claim Kevin drove through a red light in "When in Rome"?
5. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb start talking to Kevin again?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of dialogue in these stories to develop the plot, characters and themes. In what ways is the use of dialogue strong? In what ways is it weak? How does the author's style of dialogue affect the reader's understanding of the story and themes?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the collection as a whole. Is there an overall theme that runs through each story? Define and analyze this theme. What does the author convey about this theme after reading every story?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in this collection of stories are opposites of one another. Analyze the use of opposite characters within a story or stories. How do they develop the plot? How do they develop the themes?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)