|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes angry with Joshua after he helps Elsa in "Middleman"?
2. What does recording the family radio program in "Middleman" make Joshua question?
3. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb say he didn't want Kevin to drive to dinner during his law school visit?
4. Why do the narrator and his wife move carefully in Nicholas' apartment in "In the Basement"?
5. In "In the Basement," why does the narrator believe Maria has a large amount of debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "In the Basement," what history does the narrator give about Nicholas and Maria's relationship?
2. How does the narrator of "In the Basement" feel about Nicholas' relationship with Maria?
3. In "Middleman," what does John's father say about his time in the Navy?
4. What does Caleb discover when he returns to Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome"?
5. In "When in Rome," how do Caleb and Kevin react to being mugged?
6. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb tell the story about visiting his brother in California?
7. How does John describe Elsa's acting skills in "Middleman"?
8. How does John try to help Elsa's acting career in "Middleman"?
9. At the end of "In the Basement," how does the narrator feel?
10. How does John feel about Judaism in "Middleman"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two similar characters who act differently. How do their different actions change what seems to make them similar? How does this provide a message about free will in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the use of prose and descriptive passages in two of the stories in this collection. Consider the times the author uses lengthy and detailed passages vs. short, clipped ones. How does each style affect the story to which they belong? What might account for the variety in writing styles?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the stories in this collection have vague or unclear endings. What role do these endings serve? What do the endings bring to a close? What message does the author convey with vague endings?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)