|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "In the Basement," what does Nicholas say about his unborn child's gender?
2. Why does Caleb say he thought he would be arrested in "When in Rome"?
3. In "In the Basement," how do Nicholas and Maria feel about Lisa's house?
4. What does recording the family radio program in "Middleman" make Joshua question?
5. In "In the Basement," why does the narrator believe Maria has a large amount of debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "In the Basement," at what things does Nicholas feel Lisa failed in her life?
2. What is the last thing Caleb does in "When in Rome"?
3. In "In the Basement," what history does the narrator give about Nicholas and Maria's relationship?
4. After leaving Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome," why does Caleb return?
5. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb admit to trying to choke Kevin?
6. How does the narrator of "In the Basement" feel about Nicholas' relationship with Maria?
7. At the end of "In the Basement," how does the narrator feel?
8. In "Middleman," what makes Elsa talk to John?
9. How does John feel when Elsa asks him to no longer accompany her on auditions in "Middleman"?
10. How does John try to help Elsa's acting career in "Middleman"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the differing roles the author constructs for adults and teenagers/children in these stories. Consider how they interact with each other as well as themselves. What message is conveyed about age groups?
Essay Topic 2
The stories in this collection are narrated by both first and third person narrators. Examine the use of both styles of narration. Why does the author use each when he does? What purpose does each style of narration have? What are the strengths and weaknesses of both styles in this collection?
Essay Topic 3
The entertainment business acts as a character itself in a few of the stories in this book. Analyze the role of the entertainment business in each of these stories. How does this further the plot, character and theme development? What message is delivered about the entertainment business?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)