|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator want to know more about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
2. In "When in Rome," what does Caleb do for a living?
3. In "When in Rome," how does Caleb say Troy reacted when Kevin was choked?
4. In "In the Basement," what does Nicholas say Lisa did with her narrative writing?
5. Who becomes angry with Joshua after he helps Elsa in "Middleman"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe Lisa's lifestyle?
2. How does John feel when Elsa asks him to no longer accompany her on auditions in "Middleman"?
3. In "In the Basement," what is kept in a basement?
4. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb admit to trying to choke Kevin?
5. How does John describe Elsa's acting skills in "Middleman"?
6. What is the last thing Caleb does in "When in Rome"?
7. In "Middleman," what does John's father say about his time in the Navy?
8. How does John try to help Elsa's acting career in "Middleman"?
9. At the end of "In the Basement," how does the narrator feel?
10. In "In the Basement," what history does the narrator give about Nicholas and Maria's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters harbor secret desires in this collection. Compare and contrast at least two stories that focus on secret desires. How are they similar? How are they different? What lesson does the author create about secret desires through these stories?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in this collection of stories are opposites of one another. Analyze the use of opposite characters within a story or stories. How do they develop the plot? How do they develop the themes?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze family as a reoccurring topic and theme in this collection. What role does family play in the individual stories? What is the commentary presented about this topic?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)