|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "In the Basement" what does the narrator think about himself?
2. In "Middleman," what type of school is Trinity?
3. In "When in Rome," how does Caleb say Troy reacted when Kevin was choked?
4. In "Middleman," what does Joshua think of Elsa's acting skills the first time she performs for him?
5. While in law school, where does Caleb say he visited Kevin in "When in Rome"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caleb try to mend his relationship with Kevin in "When in Rome"?
2. What does the narrator's wife, Carla, say to him at the end of "In the Basement"?
3. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb tell the story about visiting his brother in California?
4. In "Middleman," what makes Elsa talk to John?
5. How does John describe Elsa's acting skills in "Middleman"?
6. What is the last thing Caleb does in "When in Rome"?
7. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe Lisa's lifestyle?
8. In what was are Caleb and Kevin different in "When in Rome"?
9. In "When in Rome," how do Caleb and Kevin react to being mugged?
10. How does John feel at the end of "Middleman"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the author's use of symbolism throughout this collection. Possibilities to consider are: the basement, money, cars, the plane, colors and clothing.
Essay Topic 2
The entertainment business acts as a character itself in a few of the stories in this book. Analyze the role of the entertainment business in each of these stories. How does this further the plot, character and theme development? What message is delivered about the entertainment business?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two similar characters who act differently. How do their different actions change what seems to make them similar? How does this provide a message about free will in the collection?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)