|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "In the Basement," what does Carla tell the narrator?
2. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb believe Kevin pulled the car over after they avoided a traffic ticket?
3. In "In the Basement," how many children does Lisa have?
4. What does Joshua tell Elsa that makes her befriend him in "Middleman"?
5. In "In the Basement," how do Nicholas and Maria feel about Lisa's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John try to help Elsa's acting career in "Middleman"?
2. At the end of "In the Basement," how does the narrator feel?
3. In what was are Caleb and Kevin different in "When in Rome"?
4. How does John feel about Judaism in "Middleman"?
5. What does Caleb discover when he returns to Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome"?
6. Why do Nicholas and Maria tell the narrator and his wife about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
7. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb tell the story about visiting his brother in California?
8. In "Middleman," what makes Elsa talk to John?
9. How does John feel when Elsa asks him to no longer accompany her on auditions in "Middleman"?
10. In "Middleman," what does John's father say about his time in the Navy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of dialogue in these stories to develop the plot, characters and themes. In what ways is the use of dialogue strong? In what ways is it weak? How does the author's style of dialogue affect the reader's understanding of the story and themes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the use of prose and descriptive passages in two of the stories in this collection. Consider the times the author uses lengthy and detailed passages vs. short, clipped ones. How does each style affect the story to which they belong? What might account for the variety in writing styles?
Essay Topic 3
None of the romantic relationships in this collection are successful. Choose at least three romantic relationships to assess. What makes them failures? What message does the author convey with these relationships? What themes are constructed through these failed relationships?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)