|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "In the Basement" dislike the amount Maria works?
2. Why does Caleb dislike helping his brother in "When in Rome"?
3. In "When in Rome," why does Kevin say he takes his nightly work deposits to the bank in the morning?
4. Why do the narrator and his wife move carefully in Nicholas' apartment in "In the Basement"?
5. In "Middleman," what does Joshua tell Elsa he has done as an actor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb admit to trying to choke Kevin?
2. In "When in Rome," how do Caleb and Kevin react to being mugged?
3. How does Caleb try to mend his relationship with Kevin in "When in Rome"?
4. At the end of "In the Basement," how does the narrator feel?
5. In what was are Caleb and Kevin different in "When in Rome"?
6. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe Lisa's lifestyle?
7. After leaving Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome," why does Caleb return?
8. What is the last thing Caleb does in "When in Rome"?
9. How does John feel about Judaism in "Middleman"?
10. In "In the Basement," at what things does Nicholas feel Lisa failed in her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three titles of the stories in this collection. Consider their symbolism within the text, reference to themes and relationship to the overall collection. Compare and contrast the uses of titles. What does the author's titling strategy influence most in the entire collection?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the differing roles the author constructs for adults and teenagers/children in these stories. Consider how they interact with each other as well as themselves. What message is conveyed about age groups?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in this collection of stories are opposites of one another. Analyze the use of opposite characters within a story or stories. How do they develop the plot? How do they develop the themes?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)