|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "In the Basement," how does Maria know Lisa?
2. Why does the narrator want to know more about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
3. After choking his brother in "When in Rome," how long does Caleb go without speaking to Kevin?
4. How does Maria say she reacted to seeing Lisa's dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
5. How does Caleb discover that the mugger in "When in Rome" knows his brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of setting in this book. Consider how the setting influences the character, plot and themes. How does the setting sometimes act as a character itself? How is the setting often a symbol? What is effective and ineffective about Adam Ross' use of setting throughout this book?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two similar characters who act differently. How do their different actions change what seems to make them similar? How does this provide a message about free will in the collection?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the stories in this collection have vague or unclear endings. What role do these endings serve? What do the endings bring to a close? What message does the author convey with vague endings?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)