|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Middleman," why does Joshua meet Elsa at all of her auditions?
2. What season is it in "In the Basement"?
3. In "When in Rome," what does Caleb do for a living?
4. Where was Joshua's father stationed in the Navy in "Middleman"?
5. At the end of "In the Basement" what does the narrator think about himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe Lisa's lifestyle?
2. In what was are Caleb and Kevin different in "When in Rome"?
3. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb tell the story about visiting his brother in California?
4. How does John feel about Judaism in "Middleman"?
5. How does the narrator of "In the Basement" feel about Nicholas' relationship with Maria?
6. In "Middleman," what does John's father say about his time in the Navy?
7. At the end of "In the Basement," how does the narrator feel?
8. What does Caleb discover when he returns to Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome"?
9. How does John describe Elsa's acting skills in "Middleman"?
10. How does Caleb try to mend his relationship with Kevin in "When in Rome"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the collection as a whole. Is there an overall theme that runs through each story? Define and analyze this theme. What does the author convey about this theme after reading every story?
Essay Topic 2
Morality is a major theme in many of these stories. Examine how the characters develop, display and grapple with morality. Compare and contrast the differences in moral values and explore the overall message about morality when you look at the book as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
The stories in this collection are narrated by both first and third person narrators. Examine the use of both styles of narration. Why does the author use each when he does? What purpose does each style of narration have? What are the strengths and weaknesses of both styles in this collection?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)