|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the narrator and his wife move carefully in Nicholas' apartment in "In the Basement"?
2. Where was Joshua's father stationed in the Navy in "Middleman"?
3. In "When in Rome," how does Caleb say Troy used to finance his drug habit?
4. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe the tone of Lisa's wedding?
5. In "When in Rome," where does Kevin work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator of "In the Basement" feel about Nicholas' relationship with Maria?
2. In "In the Basement," at what things does Nicholas feel Lisa failed in her life?
3. How does John describe Elsa's acting skills in "Middleman"?
4. Why do Nicholas and Maria tell the narrator and his wife about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
5. How does John feel about Judaism in "Middleman"?
6. In what was are Caleb and Kevin different in "When in Rome"?
7. What is the last thing Caleb does in "When in Rome"?
8. How does Caleb try to mend his relationship with Kevin in "When in Rome"?
9. In "Middleman," what does John's father say about his time in the Navy?
10. How does John try to help Elsa's acting career in "Middleman"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
None of the romantic relationships in this collection are successful. Choose at least three romantic relationships to assess. What makes them failures? What message does the author convey with these relationships? What themes are constructed through these failed relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the use of prose and descriptive passages in two of the stories in this collection. Consider the times the author uses lengthy and detailed passages vs. short, clipped ones. How does each style affect the story to which they belong? What might account for the variety in writing styles?
Essay Topic 3
The stories in this collection are narrated by both first and third person narrators. Examine the use of both styles of narration. Why does the author use each when he does? What purpose does each style of narration have? What are the strengths and weaknesses of both styles in this collection?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)