|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Caleb say Kevin went to buy drugs during his law school visit in "When in Rome"?
2. Why does Kevin call Caleb at work in "When in Rome"?
3. In "In the Basement," what does the narrator say he heard about Maria and Nicholas' prior breakup?
4. In "Middleman," how old is Joshua?
5. How does Joshua define being Jewish in "Middleman"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John feel at the end of "Middleman"?
2. How does Caleb try to mend his relationship with Kevin in "When in Rome"?
3. In "In the Basement," at what things does Nicholas feel Lisa failed in her life?
4. In "In the Basement," what history does the narrator give about Nicholas and Maria's relationship?
5. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb admit to trying to choke Kevin?
6. How does John feel about Judaism in "Middleman"?
7. In what was are Caleb and Kevin different in "When in Rome"?
8. In "In the Basement," what is kept in a basement?
9. What is the last thing Caleb does in "When in Rome"?
10. In "Middleman," how does John meet Elsa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The stories in this collection are narrated by both first and third person narrators. Examine the use of both styles of narration. Why does the author use each when he does? What purpose does each style of narration have? What are the strengths and weaknesses of both styles in this collection?
Essay Topic 2
None of the romantic relationships in this collection are successful. Choose at least three romantic relationships to assess. What makes them failures? What message does the author convey with these relationships? What themes are constructed through these failed relationships?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is this collection realistic fiction? Define the genre and assess the collection to see if it fits. What other genres might be applicable to this collection? Why?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)