|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves Roddy a note on his office door in "The Rest of It"?
2. With whom does Roddy smoke a cigarette at the club in "The Rest of It"?
3. What does Griffin think when he sees Will walk past the window at the end of "The Suicide Room"?
4. How does David Appelow know Marnie Kastopolis?
5. Why is Roddy excited to help Mike write a book about his life in "The Rest of It"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roddy do when his co-worker is in Ireland in "The Rest of It"?
2. How does Roddy react to speaking with his ex-wife in "The Rest of It"?
3. In "The Rest of It," how does Roddy know Mike?
4. In "The Suicide Room," what rumors are there about the dorm room of the girl who killed herself?
5. In "The Rest of It," what seems to dictate Roddy's decisions?
6. How do the main characters of "The Suicide Room" know each other?
7. What stories do the main characters tell in the beginning of "The Suicide Room"?
8. Why is David irritated with Zach when they go to apply for jobs in "Futures"?
9. Why does David Applelow worry about his money in "Futures"?
10. In "Futures," what happens when Marnie and Zach argue in the hallway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how success is defined in this collection of stories. Compare and contrast the definitions of success in a few of the stories. How are these definitions made? Who ends up being successful and why? What overall theme of success is developed when you consider the collection as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of dialogue in these stories to develop the plot, characters and themes. In what ways is the use of dialogue strong? In what ways is it weak? How does the author's style of dialogue affect the reader's understanding of the story and themes?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three titles of the stories in this collection. Consider their symbolism within the text, reference to themes and relationship to the overall collection. Compare and contrast the uses of titles. What does the author's titling strategy influence most in the entire collection?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)