|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rest of It," who does Mike tell Roddy lived on the island with the rich woman?
2. In "The Suicide Room," why is Manion competing with Will?
3. How many moths is Manion reported to have eaten?
4. Whose letters does Roddy read in "The Rest of It"?
5. During David Applelow's final interview with Ms. Samuel, what does he guess?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John feel when Elsa asks him to no longer accompany her on auditions in "Middleman"?
2. After leaving Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome," why does Caleb return?
3. What does David learn about Zach when he takes him out to lunch in "Futures"?
4. In "Ladies and Gentlemen," what debate does Sara have with herself about regret?
5. How does David Applelow react to his first interview with Ms. Samuel in "Futures"?
6. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb admit to trying to choke Kevin?
7. In "Futures," why does David Applelow respond to the ad in the newspaper?
8. How do Griffin and his friends react to being inside the dorm room of the girl who killed herself in "The Suicide Room"?
9. What does Caleb discover when he returns to Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome"?
10. In "Middleman," what does John's father say about his time in the Navy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters harbor secret desires in this collection. Compare and contrast at least two stories that focus on secret desires. How are they similar? How are they different? What lesson does the author create about secret desires through these stories?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two similar characters who act differently. How do their different actions change what seems to make them similar? How does this provide a message about free will in the collection?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the author's use of symbolism throughout this collection. Possibilities to consider are: the basement, money, cars, the plane, colors and clothing.
This section contains 1,605 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)