|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Mike should write a book about his life in "The Rest of It"?
2. In "The Rest of It," what does Roddy's ex-wife advise Roddy to do?
3. When the narrator of "The Suicide Room" looks to the future, what reason is given for Casey's downfall?
4. In "The Suicide Room," how does Alyssa feel when she finally gets inside the dorm of the girl who committed suicide?
5. Why does Roddy stay late at work in "The Rest of It"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Will walks along the ledge of the dorm building in "The Suicide Room"?
2. When David and Zach first have a conversation in "Futures," what do they discuss?
3. Which two stories told by the characters of "The Suicide Room" seem least probable, and why?
4. How does Roddy feel about suggesting that Mike should write a book in "The Rest of It"?
5. How does David Applelow react to his first interview with Ms. Samuel in "Futures"?
6. How do Griffin and his friends react to being inside the dorm room of the girl who killed herself in "The Suicide Room"?
7. How do Griffin and his friends get inside the dorm room of the girl who killed herself in "The Suicide Room"?
8. In "The Rest of It," where does Roddy live?
9. In "The Rest of It," how does Roddy know Mike?
10. In "The Rest of It," what does Roddy do instead of go home after work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the differing roles the author constructs for adults and teenagers/children in these stories. Consider how they interact with each other as well as themselves. What message is conveyed about age groups?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two similar characters who act differently. How do their different actions change what seems to make them similar? How does this provide a message about free will in the collection?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze family as a reoccurring topic and theme in this collection. What role does family play in the individual stories? What is the commentary presented about this topic?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)