Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rest of It," who does Mike tell Roddy lived on the island with the rich woman?
2. When the narrator of "The Suicide Room" looks to the future, what reason is given for Casey's downfall?
3. Who suggests that Mike should write a book about his life in "The Rest of It"?
4. What does Roddy ask for at the end of "The Rest of It"?
5. In "Futures," how does David Applelow feel when he sits with the other people interviewing for the job?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe Lisa's lifestyle?
2. In "Ladies and Gentlemen," what debate does Sara have with herself about regret?
3. In "Ladies and Gentlemen," who is Thom?
4. In "The Rest of It," what does Roddy do instead of go home after work?
5. In "Middleman," how does John meet Elsa?
6. Why does Roddy call his ex-wife in "The Rest of It"?
7. After leaving Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome," why does Caleb return?
8. Where is Sara in the beginning of "Ladies and Gentlemen"?
9. At the end of "In the Basement," how does the narrator feel?
10. In "Futures," why does David Applelow respond to the ad in the newspaper?
Many of the characters in this collection of stories are opposites of one another. Analyze the use of opposite characters within a story or stories. How do they develop the plot? How do they develop the themes?
None of the romantic relationships in this collection are successful. Choose at least three romantic relationships to assess. What makes them failures? What message does the author convey with these relationships? What themes are constructed through these failed relationships?
Analyze the author's use of symbolism throughout this collection. Possibilities to consider are: the basement, money, cars, the plane, colors and clothing.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)