|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Griffin consider breaking up with Alyssa in "The Suicide Room"?
2. Why does Roddy feel awkward at the club in "The Rest of It"?
3. In "The Suicide Room," why is Manion competing with Will?
4. How old is Marnie Kastopolis' son, Zach?
5. In "The Suicide Room," what does Griffin blame his grandfather's death on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Roddy call his ex-wife in "The Rest of It"?
2. In "The Rest of It," why does Roddy enjoy talking to Mike?
3. In "The Rest of It," how does Roddy know Mike?
4. What does David learn about the job he is interviewing for in "Futures"?
5. When David and Zach first have a conversation in "Futures," what do they discuss?
6. What happens when Will walks along the ledge of the dorm building in "The Suicide Room"?
7. How does David Applelow react to his first interview with Ms. Samuel in "Futures"?
8. How does Roddy react to speaking with his ex-wife in "The Rest of It"?
9. In "The Rest of It," where does Roddy live?
10. How do the main characters of "The Suicide Room" know each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how success is defined in this collection of stories. Compare and contrast the definitions of success in a few of the stories. How are these definitions made? Who ends up being successful and why? What overall theme of success is developed when you consider the collection as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the use of prose and descriptive passages in two of the stories in this collection. Consider the times the author uses lengthy and detailed passages vs. short, clipped ones. How does each style affect the story to which they belong? What might account for the variety in writing styles?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in this collection of stories are opposites of one another. Analyze the use of opposite characters within a story or stories. How do they develop the plot? How do they develop the themes?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)