|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Will's friends feel confident that he can walk around the dorm on a narrow ledge in "The Suicide Room"?
2. In "The Suicide Room," how does Alyssa feel when she finally gets inside the dorm of the girl who committed suicide?
3. When does Mike surprise Roddy with a visit to his office in "The Rest of It"?
4. When David Applelow goes to his final interview with Ms. Samuel, how many other people are also waiting to be interviewed?
5. In "The Rest of It," who does Mike say his cousin is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marnie tell David in "Futures" when she gives him her key?
2. What does David learn about the job he is interviewing for in "Futures"?
3. In "The Rest of It," how does Roddy know Mike?
4. How do Griffin and his friends react to being inside the dorm room of the girl who killed herself in "The Suicide Room"?
5. How do Griffin and his friends get inside the dorm room of the girl who killed herself in "The Suicide Room"?
6. In "The Suicide Room," what rumors are there about the dorm room of the girl who killed herself?
7. In "The Rest of It," why does Roddy enjoy talking to Mike?
8. What stories do the main characters tell in the beginning of "The Suicide Room"?
9. What things does Mike tell Roddy about in "The Rest of It"?
10. Why does Roddy call his ex-wife in "The Rest of It"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three titles of the stories in this collection. Consider their symbolism within the text, reference to themes and relationship to the overall collection. Compare and contrast the uses of titles. What does the author's titling strategy influence most in the entire collection?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in this collection of stories are opposites of one another. Analyze the use of opposite characters within a story or stories. How do they develop the plot? How do they develop the themes?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is this collection realistic fiction? Define the genre and assess the collection to see if it fits. What other genres might be applicable to this collection? Why?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)