|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Roddy call his ex-wife after learning about Mike's cousin in "The Rest of It"?
2. Where are Will's friends while he walks around the dorm on a ledge in "The Suicide Room"?
3. In "Futures," how does David Applelow feel when he sits with the other people interviewing for the job?
4. In "The Suicide Room," what does Griffin blame his grandfather's death on?
5. What does David Applelow do with the little money he has left during his unemployment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the main characters of "The Suicide Room" know each other?
2. How does Roddy feel about suggesting that Mike should write a book in "The Rest of It"?
3. How does David Applelow react to his first interview with Ms. Samuel in "Futures"?
4. What does David learn about the job he is interviewing for in "Futures"?
5. In "The Rest of It," what does Roddy do instead of go home after work?
6. Which two stories told by the characters of "The Suicide Room" seem least probable, and why?
7. How do Griffin and his friends get inside the dorm room of the girl who killed herself in "The Suicide Room"?
8. In "Futures," why does David Applelow respond to the ad in the newspaper?
9. What happens when Will walks along the ledge of the dorm building in "The Suicide Room"?
10. In "The Suicide Room," what rumors are there about the dorm room of the girl who killed herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three titles of the stories in this collection. Consider their symbolism within the text, reference to themes and relationship to the overall collection. Compare and contrast the uses of titles. What does the author's titling strategy influence most in the entire collection?
Essay Topic 2
The stories in this collection are narrated by both first and third person narrators. Examine the use of both styles of narration. Why does the author use each when he does? What purpose does each style of narration have? What are the strengths and weaknesses of both styles in this collection?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two similar characters who act differently. How do their different actions change what seems to make them similar? How does this provide a message about free will in the collection?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)