|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Roddy call his ex-wife after learning about Mike's cousin in "The Rest of It"?
2. When the narrator of "The Suicide Room" looks to the future, what reason is given for Casey's downfall?
3. Where are Will's friends while he walks around the dorm on a ledge in "The Suicide Room"?
4. When does Mike surprise Roddy with a visit to his office in "The Rest of It"?
5. What makes David Applelow nervous about his job interview in "Futures"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Will walks along the ledge of the dorm building in "The Suicide Room"?
2. What does Roddy do when his co-worker is in Ireland in "The Rest of It"?
3. In "The Rest of It," where does Roddy live?
4. In "Futures," what happens when Marnie and Zach argue in the hallway?
5. In "The Suicide Room," what rumors are there about the dorm room of the girl who killed herself?
6. What does Marnie tell David in "Futures" when she gives him her key?
7. What stories do the main characters tell in the beginning of "The Suicide Room"?
8. How does Roddy react to speaking with his ex-wife in "The Rest of It"?
9. How do the main characters of "The Suicide Room" know each other?
10. When David and Zach first have a conversation in "Futures," what do they discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three titles of the stories in this collection. Consider their symbolism within the text, reference to themes and relationship to the overall collection. Compare and contrast the uses of titles. What does the author's titling strategy influence most in the entire collection?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the stories in this collection are centered on male characters and male concerns. How does this focus affect the definitions of gender within the text? What role/roles is/are assigned to women? What commentary on gender appears throughout this collection?
Essay Topic 3
None of the romantic relationships in this collection are successful. Choose at least three romantic relationships to assess. What makes them failures? What message does the author convey with these relationships? What themes are constructed through these failed relationships?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)