|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During David Applelow's final interview with Ms. Samuel, what does he guess?
2. Where is Roddy in the beginning of "The Rest of It"?
3. Why does Will become angry with Casey in "The Suicide Room"?
4. Why does David Applelow want to impress Ms. Samuel when he first meets her?
5. In "The Rest of It," who does Mike say his cousin is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John try to help Elsa's acting career in "Middleman"?
2. In "Ladies and Gentlemen," who is Thom?
3. In "Middleman," what makes Elsa talk to John?
4. In "The Rest of It," how does Roddy know Mike?
5. How does David's second interview with Ms. Samuel vary from his first?
6. In "The Rest of It," where does Roddy live?
7. In "The Suicide Room," what rumors are there about the dorm room of the girl who killed herself?
8. In "The Rest of It," what seems to dictate Roddy's decisions?
9. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe Lisa's lifestyle?
10. What does Caleb discover when he returns to Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome"?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories in this collection have vague or unclear endings. What role do these endings serve? What do the endings bring to a close? What message does the author convey with vague endings?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the collection as a whole. Is there an overall theme that runs through each story? Define and analyze this theme. What does the author convey about this theme after reading every story?
Essay Topic 3
The entertainment business acts as a character itself in a few of the stories in this book. Analyze the role of the entertainment business in each of these stories. How does this further the plot, character and theme development? What message is delivered about the entertainment business?
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)