|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David Applelow do with the little money he has left during his unemployment?
2. Who is Griffin with in the beginning of "The Suicide Room"?
3. Who does Mike say told him to visit the island with the rich woman in "The Rest of It"?
4. How does David Appelow know Marnie Kastopolis?
5. Why does Roddy feel awkward at the club in "The Rest of It"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David learn about Zach when he takes him out to lunch in "Futures"?
2. In "Futures," why does David Applelow respond to the ad in the newspaper?
3. What does David learn about the job he is interviewing for in "Futures"?
4. How do Griffin and his friends get inside the dorm room of the girl who killed herself in "The Suicide Room"?
5. Why does David Applelow worry about his money in "Futures"?
6. How do the main characters of "The Suicide Room" know each other?
7. Why does Will threaten to kill himself in "The Suicide Room"?
8. In "The Rest of It," what seems to dictate Roddy's decisions?
9. How does David Applelow react to his first interview with Ms. Samuel in "Futures"?
10. When David and Zach first have a conversation in "Futures," what do they discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in this collection of stories are opposites of one another. Analyze the use of opposite characters within a story or stories. How do they develop the plot? How do they develop the themes?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is this collection realistic fiction? Define the genre and assess the collection to see if it fits. What other genres might be applicable to this collection? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The entertainment business acts as a character itself in a few of the stories in this book. Analyze the role of the entertainment business in each of these stories. How does this further the plot, character and theme development? What message is delivered about the entertainment business?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)