|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Suicide Room," why is Manion competing with Will?
2. Why does Roddy feel awkward at the club in "The Rest of It"?
3. When does Mike surprise Roddy with a visit to his office in "The Rest of It"?
4. Whose letters does Roddy read in "The Rest of It"?
5. What does David Applelow realize about himself while dining at the Greek restaurant with Zach?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "In the Basement," at what things does Nicholas feel Lisa failed in her life?
2. How do the main characters of "The Suicide Room" know each other?
3. In "Middleman," how does John meet Elsa?
4. Where is Sara in the beginning of "Ladies and Gentlemen"?
5. In "Middleman," what does John's father say about his time in the Navy?
6. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb admit to trying to choke Kevin?
7. In what was are Caleb and Kevin different in "When in Rome"?
8. How does John try to help Elsa's acting career in "Middleman"?
9. How does John feel when Elsa asks him to no longer accompany her on auditions in "Middleman"?
10. In "Middleman," what makes Elsa talk to John?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is this collection realistic fiction? Define the genre and assess the collection to see if it fits. What other genres might be applicable to this collection? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the role of setting in this book. Consider how the setting influences the character, plot and themes. How does the setting sometimes act as a character itself? How is the setting often a symbol? What is effective and ineffective about Adam Ross' use of setting throughout this book?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in this collection of stories are opposites of one another. Analyze the use of opposite characters within a story or stories. How do they develop the plot? How do they develop the themes?
This section contains 1,615 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)