|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rest of It," who does Mike tell Roddy lived on the island with the rich woman?
2. When the narrator of "The Suicide Room" looks to the future, what reason is given for Casey's downfall?
3. Who suggests that Mike should write a book about his life in "The Rest of It"?
4. What does Roddy ask for at the end of "The Rest of It"?
5. In "Futures," how does David Applelow feel when he sits with the other people interviewing for the job?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe Lisa's lifestyle?
2. In "Ladies and Gentlemen," what debate does Sara have with herself about regret?
3. In "Ladies and Gentlemen," who is Thom?
4. In "The Rest of It," what does Roddy do instead of go home after work?
5. In "Middleman," how does John meet Elsa?
6. Why does Roddy call his ex-wife in "The Rest of It"?
7. After leaving Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome," why does Caleb return?
8. Where is Sara in the beginning of "Ladies and Gentlemen"?
9. At the end of "In the Basement," how does the narrator feel?
10. In "Futures," why does David Applelow respond to the ad in the newspaper?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories in this collection have vague or unclear endings. What role do these endings serve? What do the endings bring to a close? What message does the author convey with vague endings?
Essay Topic 2
None of the romantic relationships in this collection are successful. Choose at least three romantic relationships to assess. What makes them failures? What message does the author convey with these relationships? What themes are constructed through these failed relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two similar characters who act differently. How do their different actions change what seems to make them similar? How does this provide a message about free will in the collection?
This section contains 1,508 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)