|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rest of It," what does Mike tell Roddy he saw on the rich woman's island?
2. What does Will say he did right before his aunt died in "The Suicide Room"?
3. In "Futures," who does Marnie Kastopolis say she does not want to have a copy of her key?
4. At the end of "The Rest of It," why does Roddy want to avoid Mike?
5. Why is Roddy excited to help Mike write a book about his life in "The Rest of It"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Rest of It," where does Roddy live?
2. When David and Zach first have a conversation in "Futures," what do they discuss?
3. What things does Mike tell Roddy about in "The Rest of It"?
4. In "The Rest of It," how does Roddy know Mike?
5. What happens when Will walks along the ledge of the dorm building in "The Suicide Room"?
6. How does David Applelow react to his first interview with Ms. Samuel in "Futures"?
7. What does David learn about Zach when he takes him out to lunch in "Futures"?
8. In "The Rest of It," what seems to dictate Roddy's decisions?
9. What does Roddy do when his co-worker is in Ireland in "The Rest of It"?
10. What does Marnie tell David in "Futures" when she gives him her key?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the collection as a whole. Is there an overall theme that runs through each story? Define and analyze this theme. What does the author convey about this theme after reading every story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the author's use of symbolism throughout this collection. Possibilities to consider are: the basement, money, cars, the plane, colors and clothing.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the stories in this collection have vague or unclear endings. What role do these endings serve? What do the endings bring to a close? What message does the author convey with vague endings?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)