|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rest of It," what does Roddy do instead of visiting the lit star?
2. Who leaves Roddy a note on his office door in "The Rest of It"?
3. What does Roddy ask for at the end of "The Rest of It"?
4. In "The Suicide Room," how does Alyssa explain her brother's mental impairment?
5. What makes David Applelow nervous about his job interview in "Futures"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is David irritated with Zach when they go to apply for jobs in "Futures"?
2. How do the main characters of "The Suicide Room" know each other?
3. Why does David Applelow worry about his money in "Futures"?
4. In "The Rest of It," why does Roddy enjoy talking to Mike?
5. What does Marnie tell David in "Futures" when she gives him her key?
6. Why does Will threaten to kill himself in "The Suicide Room"?
7. How do Griffin and his friends react to being inside the dorm room of the girl who killed herself in "The Suicide Room"?
8. How does David's second interview with Ms. Samuel vary from his first?
9. Why does Roddy call his ex-wife in "The Rest of It"?
10. What does Roddy do when his co-worker is in Ireland in "The Rest of It"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of setting in this book. Consider how the setting influences the character, plot and themes. How does the setting sometimes act as a character itself? How is the setting often a symbol? What is effective and ineffective about Adam Ross' use of setting throughout this book?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the stories in this collection have vague or unclear endings. What role do these endings serve? What do the endings bring to a close? What message does the author convey with vague endings?
Essay Topic 3
Most of the stories in this collection are centered on male characters and male concerns. How does this focus affect the definitions of gender within the text? What role/roles is/are assigned to women? What commentary on gender appears throughout this collection?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)