|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of "In the Basement," what does Carla tell the narrator?
(a) That he needs to find a job.
(b) That he is a better man than Nicholas.
(c) That she will stop nagging him.
(d) That she wants a divorce.
2. In "Middleman," what does Joshua's father admit to almost becoming?
(a) A rabbi.
(b) A priest.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A cantor.
3. How does Joshua get Mr. Duckworth's attention in "Middleman"?
(a) He reads a poem out loud.
(b) He tells about his father's job doing voiceovers.
(c) He brings over some of his mother's cooking.
(d) He shows off an expensive watch.
4. Why does Joshua ask his parents about being Jewish in "Middleman"?
(a) Because he wants to practice an eastern religion instead.
(b) Because he is afraid of being Jewish.
(c) Because he wants to be Jewish.
(d) Because he has a religious awakening.
5. In "In the Basement," what does the narrator say he heard about Maria and Nicholas' prior breakup?
(a) That Maria stole money from Nicholas.
(b) That Nicholas stole jewelry from Maria.
(c) That Nicholas cheated on Maria.
(d) That Maria's parents made them break up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does recording the family radio program in "Middleman" make Joshua question?
2. How does Joshua define being Jewish in "Middleman"?
3. In "In the Basement," where does Lisa live?
4. In "When in Rome," how does Caleb say he once chocked his brother?
5. Why does Nicholas say Lisa called him "out of the blue" in "In the Basement"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John describe Elsa's acting skills in "Middleman"?
2. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe Lisa's lifestyle?
3. What does Caleb discover when he returns to Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome"?
4. Why do Nicholas and Maria tell the narrator and his wife about Lisa in "In the Basement"?
5. How does John feel at the end of "Middleman"?
6. How does John feel about Judaism in "Middleman"?
7. In what was are Caleb and Kevin different in "When in Rome"?
8. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb tell the story about visiting his brother in California?
9. In "In the Basement," what is kept in a basement?
10. After leaving Kevin's apartment in "When in Rome," why does Caleb return?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)