|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maria say she reacted to seeing Lisa's dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
(a) She laughed.
(b) She called animal control on Lisa.
(c) She freed the dog from Lisa.
(d) She left the house quickly.
2. In "Middleman," what does Joshua's father admit to almost becoming?
(a) A cantor.
(b) A rabbi.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A priest.
3. What does recording the family radio program in "Middleman" make Joshua question?
(c) The afterlife.
4. In "Middleman," what does Joshua tell Elsa he has done as an actor?
(a) Voice over work.
(b) Stage work.
(c) Movie work.
(d) Television work.
5. In "In the Basement," why does Nicholas say Lisa's husband's family teases him?
(a) For marrying a cultural outsider.
(b) For being poor.
(c) For marrying an undereducated woman.
(d) For being short.
6. In "Middleman," how long does Joshua help Elsa before she tells him to stop?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) A year.
(c) A few months.
(d) Half a year.
7. In "Middleman," what does Joshua think of Elsa's acting skills the first time she performs for him?
(a) He thinks she is shy.
(b) He thinks she is a natural.
(c) He doesn't pay enough attention.
(d) He thinks she isn't that good.
8. In "Middleman," how does Joshua's father describe their last name?
(a) As being shameful.
(b) As being secular.
(c) As being superior.
(d) As being modified.
9. How does Caleb discover that the mugger in "When in Rome" knows his brother?
(a) Kevin's girlfriend tells him.
(b) He never finds out.
(c) He sees them together.
(d) He reads it in the paper.
10. Why does the narrator of "In the Basement" dislike the amount Maria works?
(a) Because she has no time for family.
(b) Because she is too talented for her job.
(c) Because she makes more money than he does.
(d) Because she is pregnant.
11. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb believe Kevin pulled the car over after they avoided a traffic ticket?
(a) Because he was arguing with Kevin.
(b) Because Caleb ordered him to.
(c) Because Kevin needed to get sick.
(d) Because Troy asked him to.
12. Why does Kevin show Caleb a basement at his work in "When in Rome"?
(a) To waste time.
(b) So he can see where a robbery was attempted.
(c) So he can beg him for money.
(d) To try to impress him.
13. At the end of "In the Basement" what does the narrator think about himself?
(a) That he needs to go back to school.
(b) That he is smarter than his wife.
(c) That he might love Maria.
(d) That he is nothing like Nicholas.
14. After choking his brother in "When in Rome," how long does Caleb go without speaking to Kevin?
(a) Six months.
(b) Over two years.
(c) Over three years.
(d) One year.
15. In "When in Rome," how does Caleb say Troy used to finance his drug habit?
(a) By stealing.
(b) With his father's money.
(c) No one knows.
(d) By working overtime.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joshua define being Jewish in "Middleman"?
2. At the end of "In the Basement," what does Carla tell the narrator?
3. Why is Elsa impressed with Joshua's show business career in "Middleman"?
4. In "Middleman," where does Elsa want to go to college?
5. In "In the Basement," what does Maria do for a living?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)