|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Caleb dislike helping his brother in "When in Rome"?
(a) Because Kevin never returns the favor.
(b) Because Kevin always seems to need help.
(c) Because Kevin's problems take too long to solve.
(d) Because Kevin never says thank you.
2. How does Nicholas say Lisa looked for a husband in "In the Basement"?
(a) Like she was auditioning for a play.
(b) Like she was looking for a job.
(c) Like she didn't care about who she married.
(d) Like she was trying to upset her parents.
3. In "Middleman," how long does Joshua help Elsa before she tells him to stop?
(a) Half a year.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A year.
(d) A few months.
4. In "Middleman," what does Joshua's father say about his time in the Navy?
(a) That he made his best friends there.
(b) That he felt others were prejudiced against him.
(c) That he converted to Christianity.
(d) That he didn't try his hardest.
5. Why does the agent in "Middleman" take on Elsa as a client?
(a) Her good looks.
(b) Her connections.
(c) Her acting skills.
(d) Her singing voice.
6. In "In the Basement," what does Nicholas say about his unborn child's gender?
(a) He insists they keep it a secret.
(b) He never mentions the gender.
(c) He refers to the baby as a boy.
(d) He refers to the baby as a girl.
7. Why does Nicholas say Lisa called him "out of the blue" in "In the Basement"?
(a) For advice on buying a dog.
(b) For advice on breeding dogs.
(c) For advice on feeding dogs.
(d) For advice on training a dog.
8. Why does Caleb say Kevin did not get a traffic ticket in "When in Rome"?
(a) Caleb has no idea.
(b) Because he paid the police officer.
(c) Because he is lucky.
(d) Because he knew the police officer.
9. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb start talking to Kevin again?
(a) Because both their parents pass away.
(b) Because Kevin becomes sick.
(c) Because Kevin needs money.
(d) Because Caleb misses his brother.
10. Who becomes angry with Joshua after he helps Elsa in "Middleman"?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her agent.
(d) Her father.
11. At the end of "In the Basement" what does the narrator think about himself?
(a) That he might love Maria.
(b) That he needs to go back to school.
(c) That he is smarter than his wife.
(d) That he is nothing like Nicholas.
12. Whose sister is Elsa in "Middleman"?
(d) No one's.
13. In "In the Basement," how does Maria know Lisa?
(a) They were neighbors as children.
(b) They worked together.
(c) They were college roommates.
(d) They went to high school together.
14. How does Joshua get Mr. Duckworth's attention in "Middleman"?
(a) He tells about his father's job doing voiceovers.
(b) He reads a poem out loud.
(c) He shows off an expensive watch.
(d) He brings over some of his mother's cooking.
15. In "In the Basement," what does the narrator say he heard about Maria and Nicholas' prior breakup?
(a) That Nicholas stole jewelry from Maria.
(b) That Nicholas cheated on Maria.
(c) That Maria stole money from Nicholas.
(d) That Maria's parents made them break up.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "In the Basement," why does Nicholas say Lisa's husband's family teases him?
2. What does Joshua tell Elsa that makes her befriend him in "Middleman"?
3. Who lectures Caleb when he leaves work to meet with Kevin in "When in Rome"?
4. How does Joshua define being Jewish in "Middleman"?
5. How does Joshua get to kiss Elsa in "Middleman"?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)