|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of "In the Basement" what does the narrator think about himself?
(a) That he is nothing like Nicholas.
(b) That he needs to go back to school.
(c) That he is smarter than his wife.
(d) That he might love Maria.
2. How does Caleb discover that the mugger in "When in Rome" knows his brother?
(a) He reads it in the paper.
(b) Kevin's girlfriend tells him.
(c) He sees them together.
(d) He never finds out.
3. In "When in Rome," how does Caleb say Troy used to finance his drug habit?
(a) With his father's money.
(b) By working overtime.
(c) By stealing.
(d) No one knows.
4. In "When in Rome," who told Caleb to always be there for Kevin?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His sister.
(d) His brother.
5. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb say he didn't want Kevin to drive to dinner during his law school visit?
(a) Because Kevin didn't have a license.
(b) Because Kevin was careless.
(c) Because Kevin was drunk.
(d) Because Kevin was high.
6. In "In the Basement," what does Maria do for a living?
(a) She is an x-ray technician.
(b) She is a medical student.
(c) She is a nurse.
(d) She is a doctor.
7. After choking his brother in "When in Rome," how long does Caleb go without speaking to Kevin?
(a) Over two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Over three years.
(d) Six months.
8. In "In the Basement," how do Nicholas and Maria feel about Lisa's house?
(a) They laugh at it.
(b) They are upset.
(c) They are impressed.
(d) They don't care about it.
9. What does Nicholas say Lisa did instead of going to graduate school in "In the Basement"?
(a) She worked a series of short term jobs.
(b) She tried to write a novel.
(c) She traveled.
(d) She planned other people's weddings.
10. In "In the Basement," where does Lisa live?
(d) New York.
11. Where was Joshua's father stationed in the Navy in "Middleman"?
12. How does Joshua get to kiss Elsa in "Middleman"?
(a) Because she admits her feelings for him.
(b) On a dare.
(c) Joshua kisses her when she isn't paying attention.
(d) As part of an audition.
13. In "In the Basement," why is Nicholas unemployed?
(a) Because he was fired for stealing.
(b) Because he always quits his jobs.
(c) Because he is working on his dissertation.
(d) Because he is undereducated.
14. How does Maria say she reacted to seeing Lisa's dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
(a) She left the house quickly.
(b) She freed the dog from Lisa.
(c) She laughed.
(d) She called animal control on Lisa.
15. Why does Joshua ask his parents about being Jewish in "Middleman"?
(a) Because he wants to be Jewish.
(b) Because he has a religious awakening.
(c) Because he wants to practice an eastern religion instead.
(d) Because he is afraid of being Jewish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the narrator and his wife move carefully in Nicholas' apartment in "In the Basement"?
2. In "Middleman," what does Joshua's father say about his time in the Navy?
3. In "In the Basement," how does Maria know Lisa?
4. In "Middleman," why can't Joshua get Elsa's attention?
5. Why does Lisa keep her dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)