|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maria say she reacted to seeing Lisa's dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
(a) She left the house quickly.
(b) She laughed.
(c) She freed the dog from Lisa.
(d) She called animal control on Lisa.
2. Why does Kevin show Caleb a basement at his work in "When in Rome"?
(a) So he can beg him for money.
(b) So he can see where a robbery was attempted.
(c) To waste time.
(d) To try to impress him.
3. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb start talking to Kevin again?
(a) Because Kevin needs money.
(b) Because Caleb misses his brother.
(c) Because Kevin becomes sick.
(d) Because both their parents pass away.
4. In "In the Basement," what does Nicholas say Lisa did with her narrative writing?
(a) Published it herself.
(b) Threw it away.
(c) Burned it.
(d) Sold it for money.
5. At the end of "In the Basement" what does the narrator think about himself?
(a) That he is nothing like Nicholas.
(b) That he needs to go back to school.
(c) That he is smarter than his wife.
(d) That he might love Maria.
6. How does Joshua get to kiss Elsa in "Middleman"?
(a) Joshua kisses her when she isn't paying attention.
(b) As part of an audition.
(c) Because she admits her feelings for him.
(d) On a dare.
7. In "In the Basement," what does the narrator say he heard about Maria and Nicholas' prior breakup?
(a) That Nicholas stole jewelry from Maria.
(b) That Maria stole money from Nicholas.
(c) That Maria's parents made them break up.
(d) That Nicholas cheated on Maria.
8. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb say he didn't want Kevin to drive to dinner during his law school visit?
(a) Because Kevin didn't have a license.
(b) Because Kevin was drunk.
(c) Because Kevin was careless.
(d) Because Kevin was high.
9. How does Joshua get Mr. Duckworth's attention in "Middleman"?
(a) He tells about his father's job doing voiceovers.
(b) He reads a poem out loud.
(c) He shows off an expensive watch.
(d) He brings over some of his mother's cooking.
10. In "In the Basement," how does Nicholas describe the tone of Lisa's wedding?
11. How does Joshua define being Jewish in "Middleman"?
(a) He can't define it.
(b) With character traits.
(c) With emotional traits.
(d) With physical traits.
12. What does recording the family radio program in "Middleman" make Joshua question?
(c) The afterlife.
13. In "Middleman," how old is Joshua?
14. Where does Caleb say Kevin went to buy drugs during his law school visit in "When in Rome"?
(a) Behind a restaurant.
(b) A stranger's house.
(c) From their uncle.
(d) A schoolyard.
15. Why does Lisa keep her dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
(a) Because she is allergic to the dog.
(b) Because she no longer likes the dog.
(c) Because she couldn't house break the dog.
(d) Because her husband told her to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas say Lisa did instead of going to graduate school in "In the Basement"?
2. What does Joshua tell Elsa that makes her befriend him in "Middleman"?
3. Why does Caleb claim Kevin drove through a red light in "When in Rome"?
4. How does Nicholas say Lisa looked for a husband in "In the Basement"?
5. In "In the Basement," why does the narrator believe Maria has a large amount of debt?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)