|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "When in Rome," how does Caleb say Kevin reacted to being choked?
(a) Kevin called the police.
(b) Kevin fought back.
(c) Kevin bit his arm.
(d) Kevin did nothing.
2. How does Nicholas say Lisa looked for a husband in "In the Basement"?
(a) Like she was trying to upset her parents.
(b) Like she didn't care about who she married.
(c) Like she was auditioning for a play.
(d) Like she was looking for a job.
3. Why do the narrator and his wife move carefully in Nicholas' apartment in "In the Basement"?
(a) Because the neighbors hate noise.
(b) Because the apartment is small.
(c) Because the apartment is filled with valuables.
(d) They don't move carefully.
4. In "In the Basement," why does the narrator believe Maria has a large amount of debt?
(a) From student loans.
(b) From medical expenses.
(c) From Nicholas using a credit card in her name.
(d) From a failed real estate venture.
5. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb believe Kevin pulled the car over after they avoided a traffic ticket?
(a) Because Caleb ordered him to.
(b) Because Troy asked him to.
(c) Because he was arguing with Kevin.
(d) Because Kevin needed to get sick.
6. Why does Caleb dislike helping his brother in "When in Rome"?
(a) Because Kevin's problems take too long to solve.
(b) Because Kevin never returns the favor.
(c) Because Kevin never says thank you.
(d) Because Kevin always seems to need help.
7. What does recording the family radio program in "Middleman" make Joshua question?
(c) The afterlife.
8. What does Nicholas say Lisa did instead of going to graduate school in "In the Basement"?
(a) She planned other people's weddings.
(b) She worked a series of short term jobs.
(c) She tried to write a novel.
(d) She traveled.
9. In "In the Basement," what does Nicholas say about his unborn child's gender?
(a) He never mentions the gender.
(b) He refers to the baby as a girl.
(c) He refers to the baby as a boy.
(d) He insists they keep it a secret.
10. What family radio program does Joshua record in "Middleman"?
(a) The Beginning.
(b) The Awakening.
(c) The Body.
(d) The Chosen.
11. At the end of "In the Basement," what does Carla tell the narrator?
(a) That she will stop nagging him.
(b) That he needs to find a job.
(c) That she wants a divorce.
(d) That he is a better man than Nicholas.
12. In "In the Basement," what does Maria do for a living?
(a) She is a medical student.
(b) She is a nurse.
(c) She is a doctor.
(d) She is an x-ray technician.
13. In "When in Rome," why does Caleb say he didn't want Kevin to drive to dinner during his law school visit?
(a) Because Kevin didn't have a license.
(b) Because Kevin was drunk.
(c) Because Kevin was careless.
(d) Because Kevin was high.
14. How does Maria say she reacted to seeing Lisa's dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
(a) She laughed.
(b) She left the house quickly.
(c) She freed the dog from Lisa.
(d) She called animal control on Lisa.
15. In "Middleman," where does Elsa want to go to college?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicholas say Lisa called him "out of the blue" in "In the Basement"?
2. Where was Joshua's father stationed in the Navy in "Middleman"?
3. Why does Lisa keep her dog in the basement in "In the Basement"?
4. In "Middleman," what does Joshua's father admit to almost becoming?
5. In "When in Rome," who told Caleb to always be there for Kevin?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)