|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What file is missing from the records department?
2. Who is the most dangerous man Cole knows?
3. Who was the Internal Affairs officer on Wozniak's case?
4. Who shoots Laurence Sobek?
5. in Chapter 23, who is accused of Dersh's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the police show up at Cole's house?
2. What does Dolan want "a piece" of in Chapter 34, and why?
3. Where does Cole think Sobek is going when the police barge into Sobek's house trying to arrest him?
4. Who is Trudy?
5. Why does Pike go to Paulette's house?
6. How does Cole figure the killer is connected to Pike?
7. Why does Evelyn Wozniak call Cole?
8. How does Cole react to his surprise visitor when he returns home in Chapter 30?
9. Why does Cole go to see Mike McConnell?
10. What happens to Dolan at Laurence Sobek's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several conflicts in the story. Identify the main conflict. What is the conflict, and how can it be categorized? How is the conflict portrayed in the story? How is the conflict resolved? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Elvis Cole has two important relationships in the story--one with his friend and partner Joe Pike and another with his girlfriend Lucy Chenier. At times, the reader feels that Pike and Chenier are fighting for Cole's attention. Compare and contrast Pike's and Chenier's relationships with Cole. How does Cole balance between the two people? Why does he choose one over the other? How does the character who is pushed aside react? What do Cole's actions and his relationships with these two characters say about his personality? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Joe Pike and Elvis Cole are a somewhat unlikely pair of best friends. Compare and contrast Pike and Cole. How are they similar? How are they different? What about those similarities and differences enables them to not only be friends, but also to be co-workers? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)