|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Cole's visitor in Chapter 31?
2. What does the sod farmer pull out from behind his back?
3. Who do Krantz and Cole see on the floor at Paulette's house?
4. How does Cole think the killer is connected to Pike?
5. What do drivers see when they get close to Palm Springs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cole go to Palm Springs in Chapter 29?
2. Why does Cole go to see Mike McConnell?
3. What happens to Dolan at Laurence Sobek's house?
4. How does Laurence Sobek die?
5. Who is Trudy?
6. What does Cole want from Dolan in Chapter 25?
7. What does Dolan want "a piece" of in Chapter 34, and why?
8. How does Cole figure the killer is connected to Pike?
9. Why is Lucy upset with Cole?
10. What does Cole's lawyer recommend he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A majority of the book takes place in Los Angeles. How does the author use the setting to develop the plot? How is the setting connected to events in the novel? How does the setting impact the characters' development? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Joe Pike and Elvis Cole are a somewhat unlikely pair of best friends. Compare and contrast Pike and Cole. How are they similar? How are they different? What about those similarities and differences enables them to not only be friends, but also to be co-workers? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
A requiem is a "mass for the dead." Using this information and the story itself, explain the meaning of the book's title, L.A. Requiem. How is the book's title significant to the plot? What can the reader deduce about the book from the title?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)