|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lucy mad at Cole in Chapter 31?
2. Why does Krantz arrest Cole?
3. Who warns Paulette and Evelyn about Sobek?
4. Who visits Pike with Cole in Chapter 26?
5. Who is the most dangerous man Cole knows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the police show up at Cole's house?
2. Why does Cole call John Chen?
3. Why does Pike confront Wozniak during a Sunday afternoon barbecue?
4. How does Cole figure the killer is connected to Pike?
5. What does Cole want from Dolan in Chapter 25?
6. Who is Trudy?
7. Why does Cole go to Palm Springs in Chapter 29?
8. What does Dolan want "a piece" of in Chapter 34, and why?
9. Why is Lucy upset with Cole?
10. Who is Laurence Sobek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A majority of the book takes place in Los Angeles. How does the author use the setting to develop the plot? How is the setting connected to events in the novel? How does the setting impact the characters' development? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the reader learns about Joe Pike's childhood and military past through flashbacks. How have those events from Pike's past influenced his character? How are those past events connected or related to current events in Pike's life? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Joe Pike and Elvis Cole are a somewhat unlikely pair of best friends. Compare and contrast Pike and Cole. How are they similar? How are they different? What about those similarities and differences enables them to not only be friends, but also to be co-workers? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)