|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cole call in the beginning of Chapter 40?
2. What do drivers see when they get close to Palm Springs?
3. What information does the caller give Cole when he returns from Lucy's house after being out all night?
4. Why does Cole lose his license?
5. Who is the most dangerous man Cole knows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cole go to Palm Springs in Chapter 29?
2. What do Dolan and Cole discover when they go to the storage facility?
3. Why does Cole call John Chen?
4. How does Laurence Sobek die?
5. Why does Cole get arrested?
6. Why does Cole go to see Mike McConnell?
7. How does Cole figure the killer is connected to Pike?
8. What does Cole want from Dolan in Chapter 25?
9. Why do the police show up at Cole's house?
10. Why is Lucy upset with Cole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joe Pike and Elvis Cole are a somewhat unlikely pair of best friends. Compare and contrast Pike and Cole. How are they similar? How are they different? What about those similarities and differences enables them to not only be friends, but also to be co-workers? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
A requiem is a "mass for the dead." Using this information and the story itself, explain the meaning of the book's title, L.A. Requiem. How is the book's title significant to the plot? What can the reader deduce about the book from the title?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of motive runs throughout the book. Explain what motives are present in the story. How does each motive contribute to the story's development? Is one motive more important than another in the story? Are the motives valid or off-base? Explain the reasoning behind each motive and how each motive plays a role in the story.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)