|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do drivers see when they get close to Palm Springs?
2. What does Cole put over Dolan's face?
3. Who shoots Laurence Sobek?
4. What does Cole do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
5. What list are all the victims on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dolan want "a piece" of in Chapter 34, and why?
2. How does Cole figure the killer is connected to Pike?
3. Why does Cole go to Palm Springs in Chapter 29?
4. Who is Laurence Sobek?
5. Why do the police show up at Cole's house?
6. What does Cole's lawyer recommend he do?
7. Why does Cole go to see Mike McConnell?
8. How does Laurence Sobek die?
9. Why does Evelyn Wozniak call Cole?
10. Why does Pike go to Paulette's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cole and Pike are private investigators working for Frank Garcia to keep an eye on the police's investigation of Garcia's daughter's death. The two groups approach the case very differently. Describe how each group approaches the case. What are their main goals? What methods do they use to obtain information? Which group is more successful in breaking and solving the case? Why? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
There are several conflicts in the story. Identify the main conflict. What is the conflict, and how can it be categorized? How is the conflict portrayed in the story? How is the conflict resolved? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Several of the book's character's lie for various reasons. Identify the major lies told in the story. Who tells the lie(s) and why? How do those lies hinder or progress the events in the story? How is the lie revealed as such? Who, if anyone, discovers the truth? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)