|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sentence does Krantz say he wants for Pike?
2. Who does Cole compare Krantz to?
3. Why does Krantz arrest Cole?
4. What does Cole do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
5. What does Pike's late-night encounter call him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Laurence Sobek?
2. How does Laurence Sobek die?
3. Why does Cole go to see Mike McConnell?
4. Why is Lucy upset with Cole?
5. What does Cole want from Dolan in Chapter 25?
6. Why does Cole call John Chen?
7. Why does Cole get arrested?
8. Why does Evelyn Wozniak call Cole?
9. Why do the police show up at Cole's house?
10. How does Cole react to his surprise visitor when he returns home in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cole and Pike are private investigators working for Frank Garcia to keep an eye on the police's investigation of Garcia's daughter's death. The two groups approach the case very differently. Describe how each group approaches the case. What are their main goals? What methods do they use to obtain information? Which group is more successful in breaking and solving the case? Why? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
A majority of the book takes place in Los Angeles. How does the author use the setting to develop the plot? How is the setting connected to events in the novel? How does the setting impact the characters' development? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the reader learns about Joe Pike's childhood and military past through flashbacks. How have those events from Pike's past influenced his character? How are those past events connected or related to current events in Pike's life? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)