|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cole take from the storage unit?
2. What does Pike do when he cannot sleep?
3. Why does Pike escape prison?
4. Who visits Pike with Cole in Chapter 26?
5. Who does Cole find a photo of at Sobek's house when the police barge in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cole figure the killer is connected to Pike?
2. Where does Cole think Sobek is going when the police barge into Sobek's house trying to arrest him?
3. Why does Cole get arrested?
4. Who is Trudy?
5. Why does Pike go to Paulette's house?
6. What do Dolan and Cole discover when they go to the storage facility?
7. How does Cole react to his surprise visitor when he returns home in Chapter 30?
8. Why does Cole go to see Mike McConnell?
9. Why does Cole call John Chen?
10. Why do the police show up at Cole's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader does not learn a great deal about Pike's emotions and personal relationships with women. In the story, Pike has intimate relationships with two women--Paulette Wozniak and Karen Garcia. Describe these two relationships. How are they similar? How are they different? How do these relationships show another side of Pike the reader has not seen previously? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
L.A. Requiem is classified as a crime thriller. The book has also been described as a mystery novel and a serial-killer novel. Which of these classifications is the most appropriate for the story? Why? What other descriptions could be appropriate for the book? Use specific examples from the story to explain and justify the response.
Essay Topic 3
A requiem is a "mass for the dead." Using this information and the story itself, explain the meaning of the book's title, L.A. Requiem. How is the book's title significant to the plot? What can the reader deduce about the book from the title?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)