|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cole do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
2. Who does Pike meet while he is out late at night?
3. What does Lucy tell Pike after he escapes from prison?
4. Why does Pike escape prison?
5. Who does Cole call after they leave Sobek's mother's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dolan want "a piece" of in Chapter 34, and why?
2. What happens to Dolan at Laurence Sobek's house?
3. Who is Laurence Sobek?
4. Why does Pike confront Wozniak during a Sunday afternoon barbecue?
5. Why do the police show up at Cole's house?
6. Why is Lucy upset with Cole?
7. Why does Cole go to see Mike McConnell?
8. Why does Pike go to Paulette's house?
9. Why does Cole call John Chen?
10. Why does Evelyn Wozniak call Cole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A majority of the book takes place in Los Angeles. How does the author use the setting to develop the plot? How is the setting connected to events in the novel? How does the setting impact the characters' development? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of friendship and loyalty runs throughout the book. Identify the main friendships in the story, and explain how those friendships change and grow throughout the book. How do those friendships help move the story? How are those friendships important to the story? How might the story be different if those friendships did not exist? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several minor characters in the book (John Chen, Lucy Chenier, etc). Identify the minor characters that contribute the most to the story. Describe how each character is important to the plot development and character development of the main characters. Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)