|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cole give the police?
2. Where does Cole go at the beginning of Chapter 19?
3. How does Cole get to see the person that refuses to see the media?
4. What was the shooter using the white plastic for?
5. Who is Joe Pike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will the police at Parker Center not work with Joe?
2. Why does Cole go to see Eugene Dersh after the autopsy?
3. How do Cole and Pike get access to Karen's crime scene?
4. Who is Samantha Dolan?
5. Why is Eugene Dersh the LAPD's suspect in the five murders?
6. Who is Eugene Dersh and what is his role in the novel?
7. Describe the scene when the police barge in on Pike and Cole in Karen's apartment.
8. Why do the media come to Karen Garcia's funeral?
9. Why does Pike come to Cole's house in Chapter 10, and how do they interact?
10. How did Pike and Karen meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of revenge plays an important role in the story. What characters are out for revenge and why? How does each character's notion of revenge differ? How does the character's desire for revenge shape that character's personality? How does revenge influence the plot? Use specific examples from the story in your response.
Essay Topic 2
There are two characters than can be considered antagonists in the story--Laurence Sobek and Harvey Krantz. Which antagonist is the true villain? How does each antagonist shape the plot line? How is each confronted by the protagonists in the story? Does either antagonist change in the story? How? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several minor characters in the book (John Chen, Lucy Chenier, etc). Identify the minor characters that contribute the most to the story. Describe how each character is important to the plot development and character development of the main characters. Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)