|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pike go to see Eugene Dersh?
2. Why cannot Joe deal with the police?
3. What sport does Lucy play?
4. What did someone call Pike when he walks into the Parker Center?
5. Who follows Pike to the family day picnic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cole discover in the letters in Karen's room?
2. What are Cole and Pike looking for at Karen's apartment?
3. What does Cole want from Dolan in Chapter 25?
4. What do Dolan and Cole discover when they go to the storage facility?
5. Why does Cole talk to Curtis Wood?
6. Why does Evelyn Wozniak call Cole?
7. Why does Lucy Chenier move to Los Angeles?
8. What information does Jerry Swetaggen give Cole?
9. Why do the media come to Karen Garcia's funeral?
10. Why does Cole go to Palm Springs in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Samantha Dolan and Lucy Chenier both play a large role in Elvis Cole's life. Describe Cole's relationship with each woman. How are they relationships similar? How are they different? How does each relationship contribute to the story and the plot development? How do Dolan and Chenier contribute to Cole's character development throughout the story? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Curtis Wood/Laurence Sobek spends much of his time trying to look and act like Joe Pike in order to frame him for multiple murders. Compare and contrast Pike and Sobek/Wood. How are they similar? How are they different? What must Sobek/Wood change about himself to make him more like Pike? Why was he or why was not he successful at his impersonation? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of revenge plays an important role in the story. What characters are out for revenge and why? How does each character's notion of revenge differ? How does the character's desire for revenge shape that character's personality? How does revenge influence the plot? Use specific examples from the story in your response.
This section contains 1,907 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)