|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cole give the police?
2. What does Lucy offer the visitor in Chapter 18?
3. What type of pet does Cole have?
4. Who comes to Cole's house unexpectedly?
5. Who does Frank blame for his daughter's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when PIke goes to see Eugene Dersh.
2. Why does Cole talk to Curtis Wood?
3. What does Cole think is strange about Krantz when he visits Parker Center in Chapter 11?
4. Why do Cole and Pike drive to Lake Hollywood?
5. Why is Cole angry when he arrives at the coroner's office?
6. What does Cole discover in the letters in Karen's room?
7. Why does Cole turn off Dolan's car?
8. How does Karen find out that Pike is in love with another woman?
9. Why does Cole go to see Eugene Dersh after the autopsy?
10. Who is Samantha Dolan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joe Pike and Elvis Cole are a somewhat unlikely pair of best friends. Compare and contrast Pike and Cole. How are they similar? How are they different? What about those similarities and differences enables them to not only be friends, but also to be co-workers? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The reader does not learn a great deal about Pike's emotions and personal relationships with women. In the story, Pike has intimate relationships with two women--Paulette Wozniak and Karen Garcia. Describe these two relationships. How are they similar? How are they different? How do these relationships show another side of Pike the reader has not seen previously? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several minor characters in the book (John Chen, Lucy Chenier, etc). Identify the minor characters that contribute the most to the story. Describe how each character is important to the plot development and character development of the main characters. Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)