|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many murders does Jerry tell Cole there are?
2. Who does Cole call after he gets out of Dolan's car?
3. Who is John Chen?
4. What does Cole give the police?
5. What did someone call Pike when he walks into the Parker Center?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lucy Chenier move to Los Angeles?
2. What strange thing does Cole discover about the criminalist's report?
3. What happens to Edward Deege in Chapter 6?
4. Who is Samantha Dolan?
5. What do Dolan and Cole discover when they go to the storage facility?
6. How does Laurence Sobek die?
7. What are Cole and Pike looking for at Karen's apartment?
8. Who is John Chen?
9. Why does Dolan come to Cole's house in Chapter 18?
10. Why does Frank Garcia fire Pike and Cole?
Essay Topic 1
The theme of friendship and loyalty runs throughout the book. Identify the main friendships in the story, and explain how those friendships change and grow throughout the book. How do those friendships help move the story? How are those friendships important to the story? How might the story be different if those friendships did not exist? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Joe Pike and Elvis Cole are a somewhat unlikely pair of best friends. Compare and contrast Pike and Cole. How are they similar? How are they different? What about those similarities and differences enables them to not only be friends, but also to be co-workers? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Joe Pike works with two partners in the story. First, he works with the older cop, Abel Wozniak. Later, Pike teams up with Elvis Cole to create a private investigator agency. How are these two partnerships similar? How are they different? What does the reader learn about the characters through these partnerships? How does each partnership contribute to the plot's development? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 1,835 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)