|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets in Frank Garcia's face at Karen's funeral?
2. What is missing from the copy of the criminalist report that Krantz gave Cole?
3. Who does Pike tell Cole he saw?
4. What does Cole ask to watch?
5. How many murders does Jerry tell Cole there are?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cole learn at Riley Ward's office?
2. Why does Cole talk to Curtis Wood?
3. Who is Eugene Dersh and what is his role in the novel?
4. Why does Frank Garcia fire Pike and Cole?
5. Why will the police at Parker Center not work with Joe?
6. Why does Pike go to Karen's crime scene? Who does he find there?
7. How does Karen find out that Pike is in love with another woman?
8. How does Pike know Frank Garcia?
9. Why is Pike nervous about entering Parker Center, and what happens once he does enter?
10. What strange thing does Cole discover about the criminalist's report?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
L.A. Requiem is classified as a crime thriller. The book has also been described as a mystery novel and a serial-killer novel. Which of these classifications is the most appropriate for the story? Why? What other descriptions could be appropriate for the book? Use specific examples from the story to explain and justify the response.
Essay Topic 2
There are several conflicts in the story. Identify the main conflict. What is the conflict, and how can it be categorized? How is the conflict portrayed in the story? How is the conflict resolved? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
L.A. Requiem is told from a first person point of view, using Elvis Cole as the narrator. How does having Cole as the sole narrator help or hinder the plot's development? What information can Cole provide the reader that other characters would not be able to provide? What information is hidden from the reader because Cole is the sole narrator? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)