|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cole discover at the medical examiner's office?
2. When does Cole think Karen's autopsy will happen?
3. How is the lawyer connected to Karen?
4. What did someone call Pike when he walks into the Parker Center?
5. What does Cole notice about his surprise visitor in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when Cole confronts Dolan in her car.
2. Why does Dolan come to Cole's house in Chapter 18?
3. How does Krantz react to Cole and Pike watching the investigation?
4. What strange thing does Cole discover about the criminalist's report?
5. Why does Cole go to see Eugene Dersh after the autopsy?
6. What are Cole and Pike looking for at Karen's apartment?
7. What does Cole see on the television when he returns home from Karen's funeral?
8. Why does Pike go to Karen's crime scene? Who does he find there?
9. What happens to Edward Deege in Chapter 6?
10. Why does Lucy Chenier move to Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader does not learn a great deal about Pike's emotions and personal relationships with women. In the story, Pike has intimate relationships with two women--Paulette Wozniak and Karen Garcia. Describe these two relationships. How are they similar? How are they different? How do these relationships show another side of Pike the reader has not seen previously? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of motive runs throughout the book. Explain what motives are present in the story. How does each motive contribute to the story's development? Is one motive more important than another in the story? Are the motives valid or off-base? Explain the reasoning behind each motive and how each motive plays a role in the story.
Essay Topic 3
There are two characters than can be considered antagonists in the story--Laurence Sobek and Harvey Krantz. Which antagonist is the true villain? How does each antagonist shape the plot line? How is each confronted by the protagonists in the story? Does either antagonist change in the story? How? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)