|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy offer the visitor in Chapter 18?
2. Why do people call Krantz "pants"?
3. Where do Joe and Elvis go first to look for Karen?
4. What is Lucy's job?
5. What reason does Krantz give Frank Garcia for not having arrested Dersh yet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cole talk to Curtis Wood?
2. What does Cole see on the television when he returns home from Karen's funeral?
3. Why does Frank Garcia fire Pike and Cole?
4. Why does Cole go back to Lake Hollywood?
5. How does Karen find out that Pike is in love with another woman?
6. Why does Pike come to Cole's house in Chapter 10, and how do they interact?
7. Why does Dolan go to Frank Garcia's house in chapter 15?
8. Why does Dolan come to Cole's house in Chapter 18?
9. Why will the police at Parker Center not work with Joe?
10. Why is Pike nervous about entering Parker Center, and what happens once he does enter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
L.A. Requiem is classified as a crime thriller. The book has also been described as a mystery novel and a serial-killer novel. Which of these classifications is the most appropriate for the story? Why? What other descriptions could be appropriate for the book? Use specific examples from the story to explain and justify the response.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of motive runs throughout the book. Explain what motives are present in the story. How does each motive contribute to the story's development? Is one motive more important than another in the story? Are the motives valid or off-base? Explain the reasoning behind each motive and how each motive plays a role in the story.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of revenge plays an important role in the story. What characters are out for revenge and why? How does each character's notion of revenge differ? How does the character's desire for revenge shape that character's personality? How does revenge influence the plot? Use specific examples from the story in your response.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)