|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cole buy for Lucy in Chapter 9?
2. Why does Joe call Elvis?
3. What does Cole give the police?
4. What reason does Krantz give Frank Garcia for not having arrested Dersh yet?
5. Why do people call Krantz "pants"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is John Chen?
2. Why do the media come to Karen Garcia's funeral?
3. Why is Cole angry when he arrives at the coroner's office?
4. Why is Pike nervous about entering Parker Center, and what happens once he does enter?
5. Why does Cole go to see Eugene Dersh after the autopsy?
6. Why does Cole talk to Curtis Wood?
7. Why do Cole and Pike drive to Lake Hollywood?
8. Why does Dolan come to Cole's house in Chapter 18?
9. What are Cole and Pike looking for at Karen's apartment?
10. Why does Joe Pike come to Cole's house in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
L.A. Requiem is told from a first person point of view, using Elvis Cole as the narrator. How does having Cole as the sole narrator help or hinder the plot's development? What information can Cole provide the reader that other characters would not be able to provide? What information is hidden from the reader because Cole is the sole narrator? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Samantha Dolan and Lucy Chenier both play a large role in Elvis Cole's life. Describe Cole's relationship with each woman. How are they relationships similar? How are they different? How does each relationship contribute to the story and the plot development? How do Dolan and Chenier contribute to Cole's character development throughout the story? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
A requiem is a "mass for the dead." Using this information and the story itself, explain the meaning of the book's title, L.A. Requiem. How is the book's title significant to the plot? What can the reader deduce about the book from the title?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)