|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pike tell Cole he saw?
2. How is the lawyer connected to Karen?
3. What does Cole read while waiting for Krantz?
4. What does Cole give the police?
5. Who visited Gene Dersh?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pike know Frank Garcia?
2. Why does Pike come to Cole's house in Chapter 10, and how do they interact?
3. Who is Samantha Dolan?
4. How does Karen find out that Pike is in love with another woman?
5. What does Cole learn at Riley Ward's office?
6. What does Cole discover in the letters in Karen's room?
7. Describe the scene when PIke goes to see Eugene Dersh.
8. Describe the scene when Cole confronts Dolan in her car.
9. Who is Eugene Dersh and what is his role in the novel?
10. Why does Joe Pike come to Cole's house in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of revenge plays an important role in the story. What characters are out for revenge and why? How does each character's notion of revenge differ? How does the character's desire for revenge shape that character's personality? How does revenge influence the plot? Use specific examples from the story in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Several of the book's character's lie for various reasons. Identify the major lies told in the story. Who tells the lie(s) and why? How do those lies hinder or progress the events in the story? How is the lie revealed as such? Who, if anyone, discovers the truth? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the reader learns about Joe Pike's childhood and military past through flashbacks. How have those events from Pike's past influenced his character? How are those past events connected or related to current events in Pike's life? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)