|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls for Joe at Karen's apartment?
2. Where was Krantz's previous job?
3. How did Joe Pike and Karen meet?
4. What does Dolan ask Cole for help with?
5. Who was the man taking pictures in the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when PIke goes to see Eugene Dersh.
2. Why does Pike come to Cole's house in Chapter 10, and how do they interact?
3. Why do Cole and Pike drive to Lake Hollywood?
4. What are Cole and Pike looking for at Karen's apartment?
5. Describe the scene when the police barge in on Pike and Cole in Karen's apartment.
6. Why does Lucy Chenier move to Los Angeles?
7. How does Krantz react to Cole and Pike watching the investigation?
8. Why is Cole angry when he arrives at the coroner's office?
9. Why does Cole turn off Dolan's car?
10. Why is Eugene Dersh the LAPD's suspect in the five murders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader does not learn a great deal about Pike's emotions and personal relationships with women. In the story, Pike has intimate relationships with two women--Paulette Wozniak and Karen Garcia. Describe these two relationships. How are they similar? How are they different? How do these relationships show another side of Pike the reader has not seen previously? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
L.A. Requiem has several violent incidents against women--intentional and unintentional. Identify and explore these acts of violence against women. How are the events portrayed? What prompted the violence? How does each act further explain the plot and the characters involved? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several minor characters in the book (John Chen, Lucy Chenier, etc). Identify the minor characters that contribute the most to the story. Describe how each character is important to the plot development and character development of the main characters. Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)