|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe call Elvis?
2. Who is John Chen?
3. What favor does Dolan ask Cole?
4. What does Cole discover at the medical examiner's office?
5. How did Joe Pike and Karen meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krantz react to Cole and Pike watching the investigation?
2. Why does Dolan come to Cole's house in Chapter 18?
3. Describe the scene when the police barge in on Pike and Cole in Karen's apartment.
4. Who is Eugene Dersh and what is his role in the novel?
5. Why do Cole and Pike drive to Lake Hollywood?
6. What does Cole learn at Riley Ward's office?
7. Describe the scene when Cole confronts Dolan in her car.
8. Why does Cole go back to Lake Hollywood?
9. Why does Cole talk to Curtis Wood?
10. Why is Cole angry when he arrives at the coroner's office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several conflicts in the story. Identify the main conflict. What is the conflict, and how can it be categorized? How is the conflict portrayed in the story? How is the conflict resolved? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Joe Pike and Elvis Cole are a somewhat unlikely pair of best friends. Compare and contrast Pike and Cole. How are they similar? How are they different? What about those similarities and differences enables them to not only be friends, but also to be co-workers? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the reader learns about Joe Pike's childhood and military past through flashbacks. How have those events from Pike's past influenced his character? How are those past events connected or related to current events in Pike's life? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)