|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man on the street listening to?
2. How many times has Cole been to the medical examiner's office?
3. What branch of the military was Pike in?
4. What does Cole ask Rusty to get for him?
5. In what gang was Frank Garcia involved?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krantz react to Cole and Pike watching the investigation?
2. What does Cole's lawyer recommend he do?
3. Why does Cole go to Palm Springs in Chapter 29?
4. How does Cole react to his surprise visitor when he returns home in Chapter 30?
5. Why does Cole go to see Mike McConnell?
6. Who is John Chen?
7. Why does Joe Pike come to Cole's house in Chapter 1?
8. Why does the police department want to keep quiet about a possible serial killer in town?
9. Why do the police show up at Cole's house?
10. Where does Cole find Pike?
Essay Topic 1
Cole and Pike are private investigators working for Frank Garcia to keep an eye on the police's investigation of Garcia's daughter's death. The two groups approach the case very differently. Describe how each group approaches the case. What are their main goals? What methods do they use to obtain information? Which group is more successful in breaking and solving the case? Why? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The reader does not learn a great deal about Pike's emotions and personal relationships with women. In the story, Pike has intimate relationships with two women--Paulette Wozniak and Karen Garcia. Describe these two relationships. How are they similar? How are they different? How do these relationships show another side of Pike the reader has not seen previously? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Joe Pike works with two partners in the story. First, he works with the older cop, Abel Wozniak. Later, Pike teams up with Elvis Cole to create a private investigator agency. How are these two partnerships similar? How are they different? What does the reader learn about the characters through these partnerships? How does each partnership contribute to the plot's development? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 1,790 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)