|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why cannot Joe deal with the police?
2. Why does Joe call Elvis?
3. How did Cole navigate when he was in the Army?
4. When was the last time Pike was at Parker Center?
5. How does Cole get to see the person that refuses to see the media?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will the police at Parker Center not work with Joe?
2. Why is Eugene Dersh the LAPD's suspect in the five murders?
3. Why is Frank Garcia blaming the police for Karen's death?
4. Why does Pike come to Cole's house in Chapter 10, and how do they interact?
5. Why is Pike nervous about entering Parker Center, and what happens once he does enter?
6. Why does Cole go to see Eugene Dersh after the autopsy?
7. What does Cole learn at Riley Ward's office?
8. Who is John Chen?
9. Describe the scene when PIke goes to see Eugene Dersh.
10. Why does Cole go back to Lake Hollywood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cole and Pike are private investigators working for Frank Garcia to keep an eye on the police's investigation of Garcia's daughter's death. The two groups approach the case very differently. Describe how each group approaches the case. What are their main goals? What methods do they use to obtain information? Which group is more successful in breaking and solving the case? Why? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of motive runs throughout the book. Explain what motives are present in the story. How does each motive contribute to the story's development? Is one motive more important than another in the story? Are the motives valid or off-base? Explain the reasoning behind each motive and how each motive plays a role in the story.
Essay Topic 3
A requiem is a "mass for the dead." Using this information and the story itself, explain the meaning of the book's title, L.A. Requiem. How is the book's title significant to the plot? What can the reader deduce about the book from the title?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)