|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Cole compare the group of people watching Karen's funeral?
2. Who does Cole go to see in Chapter 19?
3. What does Lucy offer the visitor in Chapter 18?
4. What reason does Krantz give Frank Garcia for not having arrested Dersh yet?
5. What was Karen doing the day she went missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Frank Garcia blaming the police for Karen's death?
2. Why is Eugene Dersh the LAPD's suspect in the five murders?
3. Why does Cole turn off Dolan's car?
4. Why is Cole angry when he arrives at the coroner's office?
5. Describe the scene when the police barge in on Pike and Cole in Karen's apartment.
6. Why does Pike go to Karen's crime scene? Who does he find there?
7. Why does the police department want to keep quiet about a possible serial killer in town?
8. Why do the media come to Karen Garcia's funeral?
9. Why does Pike come to Cole's house in Chapter 10, and how do they interact?
10. Describe the scene when Cole confronts Dolan in her car.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Samantha Dolan and Lucy Chenier both play a large role in Elvis Cole's life. Describe Cole's relationship with each woman. How are they relationships similar? How are they different? How does each relationship contribute to the story and the plot development? How do Dolan and Chenier contribute to Cole's character development throughout the story? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Cole and Pike are private investigators working for Frank Garcia to keep an eye on the police's investigation of Garcia's daughter's death. The two groups approach the case very differently. Describe how each group approaches the case. What are their main goals? What methods do they use to obtain information? Which group is more successful in breaking and solving the case? Why? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
The reader does not learn a great deal about Pike's emotions and personal relationships with women. In the story, Pike has intimate relationships with two women--Paulette Wozniak and Karen Garcia. Describe these two relationships. How are they similar? How are they different? How do these relationships show another side of Pike the reader has not seen previously? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)