|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the shooter using the white plastic for?
2. What type of pet does Cole have?
3. Who do Joe and Elvis meet while looking for Karen?
4. What does Cole notice about his surprise visitor in Chapter 18?
5. What type of relationship do Riley and Eugene have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank Garcia fire Pike and Cole?
2. What does Cole think is strange about Krantz when he visits Parker Center in Chapter 11?
3. Why does the police department want to keep quiet about a possible serial killer in town?
4. Describe the scene when Cole confronts Dolan in her car.
5. How does Pike know Frank Garcia?
6. Why does Cole turn off Dolan's car?
7. Why does Cole talk to Curtis Wood?
8. Why does Dolan go to Frank Garcia's house in chapter 15?
9. Why does Pike come to Cole's house in Chapter 10, and how do they interact?
10. Who is John Chen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
L.A. Requiem is told from a first person point of view, using Elvis Cole as the narrator. How does having Cole as the sole narrator help or hinder the plot's development? What information can Cole provide the reader that other characters would not be able to provide? What information is hidden from the reader because Cole is the sole narrator? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Several of the book's character's lie for various reasons. Identify the major lies told in the story. Who tells the lie(s) and why? How do those lies hinder or progress the events in the story? How is the lie revealed as such? Who, if anyone, discovers the truth? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are two characters than can be considered antagonists in the story--Laurence Sobek and Harvey Krantz. Which antagonist is the true villain? How does each antagonist shape the plot line? How is each confronted by the protagonists in the story? Does either antagonist change in the story? How? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)