|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator find when he enters the museum?
2. What does the woman watch every afternoon?
3. What does the man hear humming when he goes back upstairs?
4. On what part of the island is the narrator's boat?
5. What does Morel say will happen if the dials on the machine are synchronized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the story's supernatural and fantasy elements? How does Casares use fantasy and supernatural elements to create meaning?
Essay Topic 2
Why were genre novels becoming more respected in the 40s? In what way were authors like Casares influential in the critical evaluation of genre books? How was Casares influenced by genres such as adventure books?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the woman on the island have such an affect on the narrator? What do his feelings for her say about Casares' own thoughts on love?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)