|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Morel compares his invention to what?
2. Who does the narrator think has contracted the island's horrible disease?
3. Where does the narrator find fresh flowers?
4. Why does the narrator decide against killing himself?
5. Who does the narrator design his flower bed to look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the narrator to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What does the narrator hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events change the narrator's ideas about life?
3. How has the narrator's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the woman on the island have such an affect on the narrator? What do his feelings for her say about Casares' own thoughts on love?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does this have on the story?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)