|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator see waiting at the bay?
2. What did Morel think the reef would ward off?
3. Who does the narrator think are the caretakers of the insane asylum?
4. What part of the island does the narrator say has polluted air?
5. What language do the man and woman speak to each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is it strange that the people come back to the island? How does the story change when the people return?
Essay Topic 2
How does Morel's machine work? Does the machine have any links with real life technology? What could Morel's machine be used to do in contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the narrator to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What does the narrator hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events change the narrator's ideas about life?
3. How has the narrator's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)