|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator looking for when he makes his first discovery?
2. What does the narrator say the people look like from where he is standing?
3. What is the name of the magazine where Bioy started his career?
4. What is the name of the city Casares where was born?
5. What is the name of Eliseo Subiela's metaphysical film?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator try to get Morel away from Faustine?
2. What does the narrator want to expose in his books?
3. What does Borges say about Spanish literature?
4. Why does the narrator think either he or the others could be dead?
5. Why does the narrator have to escape to the island?
6. Why does the narrator think he could be hallucinating the people in the museum?
7. Why does Morel decide that Haynes does not have to attend the meeting?
8. What can the narrator see on top of the hill?
9. How did Casares' mother influence his storytelling style?
10. What is the narrator's final plea before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the woman on the island have such an affect on the narrator? What do his feelings for her say about Casares' own thoughts on love?
Essay Topic 2
In what way are Casares' views and the way he lived life an important part of what happens on the novel?
Discuss whether it is right or wrong for an author's persona to become such an important part of a story.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)