|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator decide he must build a shelter?
2. What kind of poetry does Borges favor?
3. The narrator says the men violate the sanctity of what?
4. What writer does Borges claim has superior plots?
5. What is the name of the magazine where Bioy started his career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Morel choose Villings island for his experiments?
2. Why does the narrator think either he or the others could be dead?
3. How did Casares' mother influence his storytelling style?
4. Why does the narrator contemplate murder?
5. What is the narrator's final plea before he dies?
6. What does the rug seller tell the narrator about the island?
7. How does the narrator ensure he is with Faustine forever?
8. What does the narrator overhear Morel saying to a young man?
9. What is happening in the museum when the narrator enters to find food?
10. How does the narrator escape the museum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between a novel and a novella in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the woman on the island have such an affect on the narrator? What do his feelings for her say about Casares' own thoughts on love?
Essay Topic 3
Why were genre novels becoming more respected in the 40s? In what way were authors like Casares influential in the critical evaluation of genre books? How was Casares influenced by genres such as adventure books?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)