|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the story where Bioy claims he finally has found his style?
2. Why does the narrator think some people like to wear old clothes?
3. What do Casares's friends call him?.
4. What is the name of the story the author says anticipates the Invention of Morel?
5. What does the narrator say it would have been practical to build out of stones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Morel decide that Haynes does not have to attend the meeting?
2. What do the people in the meeting conclude after Morel storms out?
3. Why was the adventure story an object of scorn in 1880 Britain?
4. What does Borges think is fantastic literature?
5. Why does the narrator think either he or the others could be dead?
6. What does the narrator think of Morel's speech?
7. What causes Morel to storm out of the room?
8. What does the narrator say happens when he sighs in the basement?
9. What discoveries does the narrator make in the basement?
10. Why does the narrator contemplate murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is it strange that the people come back to the island? How does the story change when the people return?
Essay Topic 2
How much can the reader trust the narrator? What suggestions are there that everything in the novel comes from the narrator's imagination?
Essay Topic 3
Why were genre novels becoming more respected in the 40s? In what way were authors like Casares influential in the critical evaluation of genre books? How was Casares influenced by genres such as adventure books?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)