|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the group's favorite two records?
2. The narrator says the men violate the sanctity of what?
3. The narrator makes his bed out of what?
4. What do Casares's friends call him?.
5. Why does the narrator decide he must build a shelter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator think the meeting could be a ruse?
2. What kind of machine does the narrator say he wants to develop?
3. What is the narrator's final plea before he dies?
4. What does the rug seller tell the narrator about the island?
5. Why does Morel decide that Haynes does not have to attend the meeting?
6. Why does the narrator think he should expose Morel's machine to the whole world?
7. What is Borges' opinion on the psychological novel?
8. Why does the narrator decide against escaping the island?
9. How does the narrator describe the museum?
10. Why does the narrator think either he or the others could be dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrator's paranoia affect his decision making? What does the narrator's paranoia say about the affects of solitude?
Essay Topic 2
How does Morel's machine work? Does the machine have any links with real life technology? What could Morel's machine be used to do in contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
What are the story's supernatural and fantasy elements? How does Casares use fantasy and supernatural elements to create meaning?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)