|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the group's favorite two records?
2. Which one of Bioy's stories does the writer mention in the introduction?
3. In which room does the narrator say he made discoveries on two separate occasions?
4. What does the narrator say the people look like from where he is standing?
5. What country does Bioy see as his second home?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what condition does Jane attend the meeting?
2. What is the main theme of many of Casares' works?
3. Why doesn't the narrator like being in the lowlands?
4. How does the rug seller help the narrator escape onto the island?
5. Describe the garden the narrator creates.
6. What is the narrator's final plea before he dies?
7. What causes Morel to storm out of the room?
8. What problem does the narrator have with flowers?
9. What is Casares' relationship with Borges?
10. How does the narrator describe the museum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does this have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and help to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
How much can the reader trust the narrator? What suggestions are there that everything in the novel comes from the narrator's imagination?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)