|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what language is the invention of Morel translated in 1953?
2. What is the name of the magazine where Bioy started his career?
3. What does the narrator move out by the swimming pool?
4. Why does the Italian say the Rockefeller Institute never visit the island?
5. What does the beautiful woman wear over her dark curls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Borges' opinion on the psychological novel?
2. Why doesn't the narrator like being in the lowlands?
3. How is The Invention of Morel different from Casares' early novels?
4. Why is the narrator cautious about meeting the real Faustine?
5. Why does Morel choose Villings island for his experiments?
6. Describe Casares' upbringing.
7. How does the rug seller help the narrator escape onto the island?
8. Why does Morel call the museum the Museum?
9. What does the narrator theorize about Morel?
10. How does the narrator ensure he is with Faustine forever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1In what way are Casares' views and the way he lived life an important part of what happens on the novel? Discuss whether it is right or wrong for an author's persona to become such an important part of a story.
Essay Topic 2How does the narrator work out that the people he is seeing are images? Why does the fact that Faustine is an image not change the narrator's thoughts towards her?
Essay Topic 3In what way is it strange that the people come back to the island? How does the story change when the people return?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)