|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the essay Jose Ortega y Gasset wrote in 1925?
2. Which of the following titles does the narrator say he wants to use for one of his novels?
3. What is the name of the novel Bioy writes after the Invention of Morel?
4. The people on the mountainside are unmindful of what kind of creature?
5. What does the author say he is bathed in after two or three minutes out of the pool?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening in the museum when the narrator enters to find food?
2. Why is the narrator cautious about meeting the real Faustine?
3. What does the narrator begin to fear about what he calls the invaders?
4. How does the narrator escape the museum?
5. How does Morel say he can use his machine to make it seem like Madeline is in the room?
6. How does the narrator ensure he is with Faustine forever?
7. Describe Casares' upbringing.
8. How did Casares entertain his friends?
9. How does the rug seller help the narrator escape onto the island?
10. What problem does the narrator have with flowers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the woman on the island have such an affect on the narrator? What do his feelings for her say about Casares' own thoughts on love?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is it strange that the people come back to the island? How does the story change when the people return?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between a novel and a novella in terms of the following?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)