|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the story where Bioy claims he finally has found his style?
2. Why does the narrator say he decided to go to the island despite of its dangers?
3. What does Borges say Joyce's Ulysses is rather than a masterpiece?
4. What does the author say he is bathed in after two or three minutes out of the pool?
5. What is the name of the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator have to escape to the island?
2. What do the people in the meeting conclude after Morel storms out?
3. How does the narrator describe the museum?
4. Why does the narrator contemplate murder?
5. In what condition does Jane attend the meeting?
6. What kind of machine does the narrator say he wants to develop?
7. How does the narrator escape the museum?
8. Summarize the novel.
9. What causes Morel to storm out of the room?
10. What does Morel say is different about the photograph he has taken of those present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why were genre novels becoming more respected in the 40s? In what way were authors like Casares influential in the critical evaluation of genre books? How was Casares influenced by genres such as adventure books?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between a novel and a novella in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 3
How does Morel's machine work? Does the machine have any links with real life technology? What could Morel's machine be used to do in contemporary society?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)