|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author awakens to the sound of what?
2. In which room does the narrator say he made discoveries on two separate occasions?
3. Who once called calls Bioy the secret master?
4. What is the name of the Japanese cruiser that finds the dead crew of a ship?
5. What wakes the narrator from his sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons does Borges say he likes adventure stories?
2. How does the narrator initially try to escape from the basement?
3. Why does Morel decide that Haynes does not have to attend the meeting?
4. What does the narrator want to expose in his books?
5. Why does the narrator decide against suicide?
6. Why does the narrator think he should expose Morel's machine to the whole world?
7. How does the narrator try to get Morel away from Faustine?
8. Why does the narrator think he could be hallucinating the people in the museum?
9. Describe the garden the narrator creates.
10. Why does the narrator think the roots he has been eating have caused him to hallucinate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the woman on the island have such an affect on the narrator? What do his feelings for her say about Casares' own thoughts on love?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is it strange that the people come back to the island? How does the story change when the people return?
Essay Topic 3
How does solitude affect the narrator and his mind? How do you think one could fight the problems caused by solitude in such a situation?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)