|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of poetry does Borges favor?
2. Which of the following poets wrote epic poetry?
3. In which room does the narrator say he made discoveries on two separate occasions?
4. Which Edgar Allan Poe story does the writer reference in the introduction?
5. What kind of novel does Borges say is formless?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator decide against suicide?
2. Why was the adventure story an object of scorn in 1880 Britain?
3. Why is the narrator cautious about meeting the real Faustine?
4. For what reasons does Borges say he likes adventure stories?
5. Why does the narrator become upset with Faustine?
6. What does the narrator overhear Morel saying to a young man?
7. How does Morel say he can use his machine to make it seem like Madeline is in the room?
8. Why does the narrator think he will never get to see Faustine again?
9. Describe the layout of the island?
10. What does the narrator begin to fear about what he calls the invaders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is it strange that the people come back to the island? How does the story change when the people return?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Morel's machine work? Does the machine have any links with real life technology? What could Morel's machine be used to do in contemporary society?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)