|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building is on the lowlands of the island?
2. Which Edgar Allan Poe story does the writer reference in the introduction?
3. What is the name of the story where Bioy claims he finally has found his style?
4. In which room does the narrator say he made discoveries on two separate occasions?
5. Whose motto does the narrator say he will adopt as his own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator overhear Morel saying to a young man?
2. Why doesn't the narrator like being in the lowlands?
3. What is happening in the museum when the narrator enters to find food?
4. What does the narrator feel about the woman he sees watching the sunset?
5. Why is the narrator cautious about meeting the real Faustine?
6. How did Casares' mother influence his storytelling style?
7. Why does the narrator have to escape to the island?
8. Why does the narrator think he will never get to see Faustine again?
9. How does the narrator ensure he is with Faustine forever?
10. What does the rug seller tell the narrator about the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the introduction say about Casares? How is the introduction helpful in understanding the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between a novel and a novella in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrator's paranoia affect his decision making? What does the narrator's paranoia say about the affects of solitude?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)