|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say he decided to go to the island despite of its dangers?
2. What do Casares's friends call him?.
3. What genre did Robert Stevenson think the British reading public scorned in 1880?
4. What kind of product does La Martona produce?
5. What are the Spanish poets and intellectuals fleeing in the 30s?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator become upset with Faustine?
2. Summarize the novel.
3. Why does the narrator think the meeting could be a ruse?
4. What can the narrator see on top of the hill?
5. Why does the narrator contemplate murder?
6. How does the narrator escape the basement?
7. How does the narrator ensure he is with Faustine forever?
8. How does the narrator escape the museum?
9. What does Borges think is fantastic literature?
10. How is The Invention of Morel different from Casares' early novels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does solitude affect the narrator and his mind? How do you think one could fight the problems caused by solitude in such a situation?
Essay Topic 2
What was Casares' relationship with Borges? How did Casares' relationship with Borges influence his writings?
Essay Topic 3
How does the story change when Morel is introduced? In what way does Morel cause the story's conflict?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)