|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say are on the western side of the ravine?
2. The essayist say Casares's novels are rich in what?
3. Into what language is the invention of Morel translated in 1953?
4. The author awakens to the sound of what?
5. What room measures forty feet by fifty feet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Borges say about Spanish literature?
2. What can the narrator see on top of the hill?
3. Why does Morel choose Villings island for his experiments?
4. Describe the garden the narrator creates.
5. Why does the narrator think he could be hallucinating the people in the museum?
6. What does the rug seller tell the narrator about the island?
7. Why does Morel call the museum the Museum?
8. Why does the narrator think the meeting could be a ruse?
9. Why does the narrator think the roots he has been eating have caused him to hallucinate?
10. Why does the narrator think he should expose Morel's machine to the whole world?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does the story change when Morel is introduced? In what way does Morel cause the story's conflict?
Essay Topic 3
How does solitude affect the narrator and his mind? How do you think one could fight the problems caused by solitude in such a situation?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)