|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Casares is from what country?
2. Why does the narrator think some people like to wear old clothes?
3. What is the only tree that grows in coral sands?
4. What is the novel Casares wrote in 1934?
5. What did the narrator find dead in the circular room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the novel.
2. How does the narrator try to get Morel away from Faustine?
3. What does the narrator overhear Morel saying to a young man?
4. What does the narrator feel about the woman he sees watching the sunset?
5. How does Morel say he can use his machine to make it seem like Madeline is in the room?
6. What causes Morel to storm out of the room?
7. Why does the narrator become upset with Faustine?
8. Why was the adventure story an object of scorn in 1880 Britain?
9. How does the narrator describe the museum?
10. Why doesn't the narrator like being in the lowlands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the narrator to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What does the narrator hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events change the narrator's ideas about life?
3. How has the narrator's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What does the introduction say about Casares? How is the introduction helpful in understanding the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)