|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following creatures can one find in the swimming pool?
2. What is the name of the writer with whom Casares developed a close friendship?
3. What does the narrator say the people look like from where he is standing?
4. What do Casares's friends call him?.
5. The narrator say he knows very little about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the garden the narrator creates.
2. What does the narrator overhear Morel saying to a young man?
3. In what condition does Jane attend the meeting?
4. How did Casares' mother influence his storytelling style?
5. Why was the adventure story an object of scorn in 1880 Britain?
6. Summarize the novel.
7. Why does the narrator think he should expose Morel's machine to the whole world?
8. How does Morel say he can use his machine to make it seem like Madeline is in the room?
9. Describe Casares' upbringing.
10. Why does Morel decide that Haynes does not have to attend the meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the introduction say about Casares? How is the introduction helpful in understanding the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between a novel and a novella in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrator's paranoia affect his decision making? What does the narrator's paranoia say about the affects of solitude?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)