|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it impossible to cut the trees on top of the hill?
2. What does the Italian in Calcutta sell?
3. What kind of pirates does the Italian say never go to the island?
4. Which of the following words does the author use to describe Bioy's personality?
5. Which one of Bioy's stories does the writer mention in the introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people in the meeting conclude after Morel storms out?
2. Why does the narrator decide against escaping the island?
3. Why does Morel choose Villings island for his experiments?
4. Why doesn't the narrator like being in the lowlands?
5. Why is the narrator cautious about meeting the real Faustine?
6. What kind of machine does the narrator say he wants to develop?
7. Why does Morel call the museum the Museum?
8. How did Casares entertain his friends?
9. How does the narrator describe the museum?
10. Why does the narrator have to escape to the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much can the reader trust the narrator? What suggestions are there that everything in the novel comes from the narrator's imagination?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does this have on the story?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)