|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room measures forty feet by fifty feet?
2. What did the narrator find dead in the circular room?
3. Why does the narrator say he decided to go to the island despite of its dangers?
4. What genre did Robert Stevenson think the British reading public scorned in 1880?
5. The narrator makes his bed out of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gasset say about adventure stories?
2. Why doesn't the narrator like being in the lowlands?
3. How does the narrator ensure he is with Faustine forever?
4. How does the narrator describe the museum?
5. Why does Morel decide that Haynes does not have to attend the meeting?
6. What does the rug seller tell the narrator about the island?
7. Why does the narrator decide against escaping the island?
8. How does the rug seller help the narrator escape onto the island?
9. What does the narrator overhear Morel saying to a young man?
10. Why does the narrator contemplate murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
In what way are Casares' views and the way he lived life an important part of what happens on the novel?
Discuss whether it is right or wrong for an author's persona to become such an important part of a story.
Essay Topic 3
How much can the reader trust the narrator? What suggestions are there that everything in the novel comes from the narrator's imagination?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)