|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following creatures can one find in the swimming pool?
2. What genre did Robert Stevenson think the British reading public scorned in 1880?
3. What is the name of the city Casares where was born?
4. What can the narrator see from the marshlands?
5. What does the narrator claims stops one from running away in dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main theme of many of Casares' works?
2. How does the narrator describe the museum?
3. Why does the narrator think the meeting could be a ruse?
4. What does the narrator overhear Morel saying to a young man?
5. What does Gasset say about adventure stories?
6. How does the narrator ensure he is with Faustine forever?
7. What does the narrator begin to fear about what he calls the invaders?
8. How does the narrator try to get Morel away from Faustine?
9. What does the narrator think of Morel's speech?
10. What can the narrator see on top of the hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the story's supernatural and fantasy elements? How does Casares use fantasy and supernatural elements to create meaning?
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrator work out that the people he is seeing are images? Why does the fact that Faustine is an image not change the narrator's thoughts towards her?
Essay Topic 3
How does the story change when Morel is introduced? In what way does Morel cause the story's conflict?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)