|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does a group of white men build on the island?
2. What room does the narrator remember with disgust?
3. The narrator say he knows very little about what?
4. Why is it impossible to cut the trees on top of the hill?
5. What do Casares's friends call him?.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator think the roots he has been eating have caused him to hallucinate?
2. Why does the narrator think either he or the others could be dead?
3. Why is the narrator cautious about meeting the real Faustine?
4. In what condition does Jane attend the meeting?
5. What does Morel say is different about the photograph he has taken of those present?
6. How does the narrator describe the woman he sees watching the sunset?
7. What is the narrator's final plea before he dies?
8. Why does Morel choose Villings island for his experiments?
9. Why doesn't the narrator like being in the lowlands?
10. How does Morel say he can use his machine to make it seem like Madeline is in the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrator work out that the people he is seeing are images? Why does the fact that Faustine is an image not change the narrator's thoughts towards her?
Essay Topic 2
How much can the reader trust the narrator? What suggestions are there that everything in the novel comes from the narrator's imagination?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)