|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Bioy's stories does the writer mention in the introduction?
2. What is the name of the Mexican poet referenced in the introduction?
3. What is the name of the story where Bioy claims he finally has found his style?
4. The narrator says the men violate the sanctity of what?
5. Why does the Italian say the Rockefeller Institute never visit the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator ensure he is with Faustine forever?
2. How did Casares entertain his friends?
3. What does Gasset say about adventure stories?
4. What does the rug seller tell the narrator about the island?
5. Why does the narrator decide against suicide?
6. In what condition does Jane attend the meeting?
7. What does Borges think is fantastic literature?
8. How does the narrator escape the museum?
9. Why doesn't the narrator like being in the lowlands?
10. Why does the narrator think the roots he has been eating have caused him to hallucinate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrator work out that the people he is seeing are images? Why does the fact that Faustine is an image not change the narrator's thoughts towards her?
Essay Topic 2
How does Morel's machine work? Does the machine have any links with real life technology? What could Morel's machine be used to do in contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
What does the introduction say about Casares? How is the introduction helpful in understanding the novel?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)