|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who translated the 1964 American edition of the Invention of Morel?
2. Which one of Bioy's stories does the writer mention in the introduction?
3. What kind of pirates does the Italian say never go to the island?
4. What can the narrator see from the marshlands?
5. Which Edgar Allan Poe story does the writer reference in the introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons does Borges say he likes adventure stories?
2. Why does the narrator think the roots he has been eating have caused him to hallucinate?
3. How does the rug seller help the narrator escape onto the island?
4. How did Casares entertain his friends?
5. Why is the narrator cautious about meeting the real Faustine?
6. How does the narrator describe the woman he sees watching the sunset?
7. Summarize the novel.
8. Why does the narrator think the meeting could be a ruse?
9. Why does the narrator become upset with Faustine?
10. How does the narrator try to get Morel away from Faustine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and help to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What are the story's supernatural and fantasy elements? How does Casares use fantasy and supernatural elements to create meaning?
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrator work out that the people he is seeing are images? Why does the fact that Faustine is an image not change the narrator's thoughts towards her?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)