|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Spanish poets and intellectuals fleeing in the 30s?
2. What does the narrator move out by the swimming pool?
3. What does Borges say Joyce's Ulysses is rather than a masterpiece?
4. The author awakens to the sound of what?
5. The essayist say Casares's novels are rich in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator become upset with Faustine?
2. Why does the narrator think he could be hallucinating the people in the museum?
3. What discoveries does the narrator make in the basement?
4. Why does Morel call the museum the Museum?
5. How does the narrator escape the museum?
6. Why does the narrator think he should expose Morel's machine to the whole world?
7. How did Casares' mother influence his storytelling style?
8. What is the narrator's final plea before he dies?
9. Why was the adventure story an object of scorn in 1880 Britain?
10. How does Morel say he can use his machine to make it seem like Madeline is in the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrator's paranoia affect his decision making? What does the narrator's paranoia say about the affects of solitude?
Essay Topic 2
What was Casares' relationship with Borges? How did Casares' relationship with Borges influence his writings?
Essay Topic 3
Why were genre novels becoming more respected in the 40s? In what way were authors like Casares influential in the critical evaluation of genre books? How was Casares influenced by genres such as adventure books?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)