|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words does the author use to describe the building on the hill?
2. What room does the narrator remember with disgust?
3. What does the narrator say is elegantly carpeted?
4. The essayist say Casares's novels are rich in what?
5. What is the name of the magazine where Bioy started his career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the narrator cautious about meeting the real Faustine?
2. Why does the narrator think he could be hallucinating the people in the museum?
3. What can the narrator see on top of the hill?
4. What is the main theme of many of Casares' works?
5. What does the narrator theorize about Morel?
6. Why does the narrator decide against escaping the island?
7. How did Casares entertain his friends?
8. Why does the narrator think the roots he has been eating have caused him to hallucinate?
9. Summarize the novel.
10. How does the narrator try to get Morel away from Faustine?
Essay Topic 1
What was Casares' relationship with Borges? How did Casares' relationship with Borges influence his writings?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the narrator to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What does the narrator hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events change the narrator's ideas about life?
3. How has the narrator's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrator's paranoia affect his decision making? What does the narrator's paranoia say about the affects of solitude?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)