|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of poetry does Bioy favor?
2. Casares is from what country?
3. Where does the narrator say he is afraid to return?
4. Which of the following poets wrote lyrical poems?
5. Which one of Bioy's stories does the writer mention in the introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Borges think is fantastic literature?
2. What does the narrator theorize about Morel?
3. Why does the narrator have to escape to the island?
4. How does the narrator spy on the dinner party?
5. How does the rug seller help the narrator escape onto the island?
6. Why does the narrator decide against suicide?
7. What kind of machine does the narrator say he wants to develop?
8. What is happening in the museum when the narrator enters to find food?
9. Why does the narrator think he should expose Morel's machine to the whole world?
10. Describe the garden the narrator creates.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is it strange that the people come back to the island? How does the story change when the people return?
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrator work out that the people he is seeing are images? Why does the fact that Faustine is an image not change the narrator's thoughts towards her?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the narrator to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What does the narrator hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events change the narrator's ideas about life?
3. How has the narrator's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)