|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator think some people like to wear old clothes?
2. What does the chapel look like?
3. What does the narrator say it would have been practical to build out of stones?
4. Which of the following poets wrote lyrical poems?
5. What does the narrator say the people look like from where he is standing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the adventure story an object of scorn in 1880 Britain?
2. What does the narrator theorize about Morel?
3. In what condition does Jane attend the meeting?
4. What does the narrator overhear Morel saying to a young man?
5. What does Gasset say about adventure stories?
6. How does the island disease affect people?
7. What does the narrator think of Morel's speech?
8. What is happening in the museum when the narrator enters to find food?
9. What discoveries does the narrator make in the basement?
10. How does Morel say he can use his machine to make it seem like Madeline is in the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much can the reader trust the narrator? What suggestions are there that everything in the novel comes from the narrator's imagination?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the narrator to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What does the narrator hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events change the narrator's ideas about life?
3. How has the narrator's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What was Casares' relationship with Borges? How did Casares' relationship with Borges influence his writings?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)