|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator claims stops one from running away in dreams?
2. What is the name of the magazine where Bioy started his career?
3. What is the narrator looking for when he makes his first discovery?
4. What does the narrator say is elegantly carpeted?
5. Whose motto does the narrator say he will adopt as his own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Casares entertain his friends?
2. How does the narrator try to get Morel away from Faustine?
3. What does the narrator overhear Morel saying to a young man?
4. What does the narrator begin to fear about what he calls the invaders?
5. Describe Casares' upbringing.
6. What do the people in the meeting conclude after Morel storms out?
7. Why does the narrator think he will never get to see Faustine again?
8. Why does the narrator think the meeting could be a ruse?
9. In what condition does Jane attend the meeting?
10. Why does the narrator contemplate murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why were genre novels becoming more respected in the 40s? In what way were authors like Casares influential in the critical evaluation of genre books? How was Casares influenced by genres such as adventure books?
Essay Topic 3
How does solitude affect the narrator and his mind? How do you think one could fight the problems caused by solitude in such a situation?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)