|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Each god is three times larger than what?
2. What torments the author in the southern part of the island?
3. Where does the narrator say he is afraid to return?
4. What country does Bioy see as his second home?
5. The narrator says the men violate the sanctity of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Morel say is different about the photograph he has taken of those present?
2. How did Casares entertain his friends?
3. How does the narrator describe the museum?
4. Why does the narrator contemplate murder?
5. What does the narrator say happens when he sighs in the basement?
6. Describe Casares' upbringing.
7. Why does the narrator become upset with Faustine?
8. For what reasons does Borges say he likes adventure stories?
9. Why does the narrator think the roots he has been eating have caused him to hallucinate?
10. Summarize the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrator's paranoia affect his decision making? What does the narrator's paranoia say about the affects of solitude?
Essay Topic 2
Why were genre novels becoming more respected in the 40s? In what way were authors like Casares influential in the critical evaluation of genre books? How was Casares influenced by genres such as adventure books?
Essay Topic 3
How does solitude affect the narrator and his mind? How do you think one could fight the problems caused by solitude in such a situation?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)