|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a summer resort?
(b) The Dales.
2. What kind of pirates does the Italian say never go to the island?
(a) British pirates.
(b) Vietnamese pirates.
(c) Chinese pirates.
(d) Japanese pirates.
3. What kind of novel does Borges say is formless?
(a) A crime novel.
(b) A psychological novel.
(c) A social novel.
(d) A magical realist novel.
4. In which room does the narrator say he made discoveries on two separate occasions?
(a) The basement.
(b) The library.
(c) The loft.
(d) The dining room.
5. What is the name of the writer with whom Casares developed a close friendship?
(a) Garbriel Marcia Marquez.
(b) Jorge Luis Borges.
(c) Peter Robinson.
(d) Henry James.
Short Answer Questions
1. The people on the mountainside are unmindful of what kind of creature?
2. What building is on the lowlands of the island?
3. The town of Bearn is in what country?
4. Casares is from what country?
5. What torments the author in the southern part of the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the narrator like being in the lowlands?
2. Why does the narrator think the meeting could be a ruse?
3. Describe the layout of the island?
4. Why does the narrator become upset with Faustine?
5. What does the narrator think of Morel's speech?
6. How does the island disease affect people?
7. What does the rug seller tell the narrator about the island?
8. What is happening in the museum when the narrator enters to find food?
9. Why does the narrator decide against suicide?
10. Why does the narrator think the roots he has been eating have caused him to hallucinate?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)