|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Italian in Calcutta sell?
2. Why is it impossible to cut the trees on top of the hill?
(a) The wood is too hard.
(b) They are guarded.
(c) They are diseased.
(d) They are too young.
3. Which of the following words does the narrator use to describe the rooms of the museum?
4. Why does the narrator decide he must build a shelter?
(a) To shelter him from storms.
(b) To keep him warm during the winter.
(c) To attract attention.
(d) To hide from the people.
5. Where does the narrator say he is afraid to return?
(a) The supermarket.
(b) The church.
(c) The museum.
(d) The mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Casares is from what country?
2. The people on the mountainside are unmindful of what kind of creature?
3. Which of the following poets wrote lyrical poems?
4. What does Borges say Joyce's Ulysses is rather than a masterpiece?
5. What did the narrator find dead in the circular room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator try to get Morel away from Faustine?
2. What is Casares' relationship with Borges?
3. What does the narrator think of Morel's speech?
4. Why does the narrator become upset with Faustine?
5. What does Gasset say about adventure stories?
6. Why does the narrator think the roots he has been eating have caused him to hallucinate?
7. What do the people in the meeting conclude after Morel storms out?
8. What does the narrator theorize about Morel?
9. Summarize the novel.
10. Describe Casares' upbringing.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)