|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the beautiful woman wear over her dark curls?
(a) A map.
(b) A bright scarf.
(c) A cowboy hat.
(d) A plastic bag.
2. What does the chapel look like?
(a) A hat box.
(b) A pancake.
(c) A long box.
(d) A turtle.
3. What wakes the narrator from his sleep?
(d) Gun shots.
4. Why does the narrator think the people he sees are a group of eccentrics?
(a) They are dancing around a fire.
(b) They are wearing warm clothes.
(c) They are wearing clothes from another era.
(d) They are running around naked.
5. What writer does Borges claim has superior plots?
(a) Graham Greene.
(b) Fydor Dostoevsky.
(c) G.K. Chesterton.
(d) Patrica Highsmith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Italian say the Rockefeller Institute never visit the island?
2. Each god is three times larger than what?
3. What is the name of the island?
4. What is the name of the Japanese cruiser that finds the dead crew of a ship?
5. Casares is from what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons does Borges say he likes adventure stories?
2. What does Gasset say about adventure stories?
3. How does the island disease affect people?
4. How does the narrator try to get Morel away from Faustine?
5. What is the narrator's final plea before he dies?
6. What causes Morel to storm out of the room?
7. Describe the layout of the island?
8. Why does the narrator think either he or the others could be dead?
9. How does Morel say he can use his machine to make it seem like Madeline is in the room?
10. What does Borges say about Spanish literature?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)