|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The essayist say Casares's novels are rich in what?
(a) Bizarre character sketches.
(b) Provoking images.
(c) Reasoned imagination.
(d) Surreal imagination.
2. What are the group's favorite two records?
(a) Tea for Two and Valencia.
(b) Frogs and Viva.
(c) One More Cup of Coffee and Sevilla.
(d) A Road to Nowhere and Carnage.
3. What is the name of the writer with whom Casares developed a close friendship?
(a) Garbriel Marcia Marquez.
(b) Jorge Luis Borges.
(c) Peter Robinson.
(d) Henry James.
4. Which of the following words does the narrator use to describe the rooms of the museum?
5. What is the name of the city Casares where was born?
(c) Buenos Aires.
(d) Sao Paulo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator looking for when he makes his first discovery?
2. What can the narrator see from the marshlands?
3. What is the name of the Mexican poet referenced in the introduction?
4. What kind of product does La Martona produce?
5. What wakes the narrator from his sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the narrator like being in the lowlands?
2. Describe Casares' upbringing.
3. Why does the narrator think he should expose Morel's machine to the whole world?
4. Why was the adventure story an object of scorn in 1880 Britain?
5. For what reasons does Borges say he likes adventure stories?
6. What does the narrator overhear Morel saying to a young man?
7. Summarize the novel.
8. What does the narrator begin to fear about what he calls the invaders?
9. What does the narrator say happens when he sighs in the basement?
10. What causes Morel to storm out of the room?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)