|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator say he decided to go to the island despite of its dangers?
(a) He wanted adventure.
(b) His life was unbearable.
(c) He knew the Italian as a liar.
(d) He thought there would be gold there.
2. Which of the following does a group of white men build on the island?
(a) A factory.
(b) A museum.
(c) A post office.
(d) A school.
3. Why is it impossible to cut the trees on top of the hill?
(a) They are guarded.
(b) They are too young.
(c) The wood is too hard.
(d) They are diseased.
4. The narrator says the men violate the sanctity of what?
(a) Corn fields and orchards.
(b) Churches and cemeteries.
(c) Forests and deserts.
(d) Family and Religion.
5. What genre did Robert Stevenson think the British reading public scorned in 1880?
(a) The adventure novel.
(b) The sport novel.
(c) The science fiction novel.
(d) The crime novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say came ahead of time?
2. Which Edgar Allan Poe story does the writer reference in the introduction?
3. What is the name of the city Casares where was born?
4. What does Borges say Joyce's Ulysses is rather than a masterpiece?
5. What is the name of Eliseo Subiela's metaphysical film?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator ensure he is with Faustine forever?
2. How does the narrator escape the museum?
3. Why does Morel call the museum the Museum?
4. What does Morel say is different about the photograph he has taken of those present?
5. Summarize the novel.
6. Describe the garden the narrator creates.
7. For what reasons does Borges say he likes adventure stories?
8. What does the narrator think of Morel's speech?
9. What causes Morel to storm out of the room?
10. Describe Casares' upbringing.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)