|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator claims stops one from running away in dreams?
(a) The screams of loved ones.
(b) A brick wall.
(c) A heavy weight.
2. In which room does the narrator say he made discoveries on two separate occasions?
(a) The dining room.
(b) The loft.
(c) The basement.
(d) The library.
3. Which Edgar Allan Poe story does the writer reference in the introduction?
(a) Black Cat.
(b) The Pit and the Pendulum.
(c) The Raven.
(d) The House of Usher.
4. Why does the narrator decide he must build a shelter?
(a) To hide from the people.
(b) To shelter him from storms.
(c) To keep him warm during the winter.
(d) To attract attention.
5. What kind of pirates does the Italian say never go to the island?
(a) British pirates.
(b) Chinese pirates.
(c) Vietnamese pirates.
(d) Japanese pirates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What torments the author in the southern part of the island?
2. The people on the mountainside are unmindful of what kind of creature?
3. Which of the following creatures can one find in the swimming pool?
4. What can the narrator see from the marshlands?
5. Why is it impossible to cut the trees on top of the hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator spy on the dinner party?
2. Why does the narrator think he will never get to see Faustine again?
3. How does the narrator try to get Morel away from Faustine?
4. What is Casares' relationship with Borges?
5. Describe the garden the narrator creates.
6. Why does the narrator think either he or the others could be dead?
7. Why does the narrator think he should expose Morel's machine to the whole world?
8. What does Morel say is different about the photograph he has taken of those present?
9. Why is the narrator cautious about meeting the real Faustine?
10. Describe Casares' upbringing.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)