|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say came ahead of time?
(b) The Velvet Underground.
(c) The Beatles.
2. Which of the following words does the author use to describe the building on the hill?
3. Each god is three times larger than what?
(a) A pillar.
(b) A basketball player.
(c) A man.
(d) A steeple.
4. Which Edgar Allan Poe story does the writer reference in the introduction?
(a) Black Cat.
(b) The Raven.
(c) The Pit and the Pendulum.
(d) The House of Usher.
5. What building is on the lowlands of the island?
(a) A factory.
(b) A cafe.
(c) A prison.
(d) A mill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Bioy's stories does the writer mention in the introduction?
2. What is the name of the story the author says anticipates the Invention of Morel?
3. What does Borges say Joyce's Ulysses is rather than a masterpiece?
4. What is the narrator looking for when he makes his first discovery?
5. What does the woman's bosom make her look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator try to get Morel away from Faustine?
2. What is Borges' opinion on the psychological novel?
3. How is The Invention of Morel different from Casares' early novels?
4. What is Casares' relationship with Borges?
5. Why does the narrator have to escape to the island?
6. What kind of machine does the narrator say he wants to develop?
7. How does the narrator escape the basement?
8. What does the narrator theorize about Morel?
9. Why does Morel choose Villings island for his experiments?
10. What does the narrator begin to fear about what he calls the invaders?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)