|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What genre did Robert Stevenson think the British reading public scorned in 1880?
(a) The adventure novel.
(b) The science fiction novel.
(c) The crime novel.
(d) The sport novel.
2. What does the narrator say the people look like from where he is standing?
3. What are the Spanish poets and intellectuals fleeing in the 30s?
(a) The Spanish Civil War.
(b) The First World War.
(c) The Communist Government.
(d) Franco's government.
4. What does the woman's bosom make her look like?
(a) A fortune teller.
(b) A gypsy girl.
(c) A witch.
(d) A peasant girl.
5. The narrator says the men violate the sanctity of what?
(a) Family and Religion.
(b) Churches and cemeteries.
(c) Corn fields and orchards.
(d) Forests and deserts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say he is bathed in after two or three minutes out of the pool?
2. What is the name of the Mexican poet referenced in the introduction?
3. What is the name of Eliseo Subiela's metaphysical film?
4. What kind of product does La Martona produce?
5. What two buildings are on top of the hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator spy on the dinner party?
2. What does Borges say about Spanish literature?
3. What does the narrator begin to fear about what he calls the invaders?
4. What is Borges' opinion on the psychological novel?
5. How does the narrator initially try to escape from the basement?
6. How does the narrator escape the basement?
7. How does the narrator try to get Morel away from Faustine?
8. What causes Morel to storm out of the room?
9. Why does the narrator think either he or the others could be dead?
10. What is the narrator's final plea before he dies?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)