|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Borges say Joyce's Ulysses is rather than a masterpiece?
(a) An end.
(b) A beginning.
(c) A failure.
(d) A promise.
2. What does the narrator say are on the western side of the ravine?
(c) Large boulders.
(d) Dead fish.
3. What room measures forty feet by fifty feet?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The lounge.
(c) The library.
(d) The dining room.
4. The essayist say Casares's novels are rich in what?
(a) Bizarre character sketches.
(b) Surreal imagination.
(c) Provoking images.
(d) Reasoned imagination.
5. What is the name of the Mexican poet referenced in the introduction?
(a) Octavio Paz.
(b) Manuel Carpio.
(c) Gabriella Brimmer.
(d) Pita Amor.
6. Which of the following creatures can one find in the swimming pool?
7. Who translated the 1964 American edition of the Invention of Morel?
(a) Doreen Hopper.
(b) Jack Johnson.
(c) Ruth L.C. Sims.
(d) Davis P. D. Quip.
8. In which room does the narrator say he made discoveries on two separate occasions?
(a) The library.
(b) The loft.
(c) The dining room.
(d) The basement.
9. What does the beautiful woman wear over her dark curls?
(a) A map.
(b) A bright scarf.
(c) A plastic bag.
(d) A cowboy hat.
10. The narrator says the men violate the sanctity of what?
(a) Churches and cemeteries.
(b) Family and Religion.
(c) Forests and deserts.
(d) Corn fields and orchards.
11. The narrator say he knows very little about what?
12. What writer does Borges claim has superior plots?
(a) G.K. Chesterton.
(b) Patrica Highsmith.
(c) Fydor Dostoevsky.
(d) Graham Greene.
13. Why does the narrator think the people he sees are a group of eccentrics?
(a) They are wearing clothes from another era.
(b) They are wearing warm clothes.
(c) They are running around naked.
(d) They are dancing around a fire.
14. What does the narrator move out by the swimming pool?
(a) His bed.
(b) His bookshelf.
(c) His couch.
(d) His oven.
15. Which of the following is a summer resort?
(d) The Dales.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following titles does the narrator say he wants to use for one of his novels?
2. What does the narrator say it would have been practical to build out of stones?
3. What wakes the narrator from his sleep?
4. What kind of novel does Borges say is formless?
5. The narrator makes his bed out of what?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)