|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say it would have been practical to build out of stones?
(a) A toilet.
(b) A house.
(c) A barricade.
(d) An outdoor oven.
2. What did the narrator find dead in the circular room?
3. What torments the author in the southern part of the island?
4. Each god is three times larger than what?
(a) A man.
(b) A pillar.
(c) A steeple.
(d) A basketball player.
5. What are the group's favorite two records?
(a) One More Cup of Coffee and Sevilla.
(b) A Road to Nowhere and Carnage.
(c) Tea for Two and Valencia.
(d) Frogs and Viva.
6. Why does the narrator say he decided to go to the island despite of its dangers?
(a) He wanted adventure.
(b) He knew the Italian as a liar.
(c) He thought there would be gold there.
(d) His life was unbearable.
7. What is the name of the writer with whom Casares developed a close friendship?
(a) Peter Robinson.
(b) Jorge Luis Borges.
(c) Henry James.
(d) Garbriel Marcia Marquez.
8. What is the name of the Mexican poet referenced in the introduction?
(a) Pita Amor.
(b) Octavio Paz.
(c) Manuel Carpio.
(d) Gabriella Brimmer.
9. What does the narrator say are on the western side of the ravine?
(a) Dead fish.
(b) Large boulders.
10. Why does the Italian say the Rockefeller Institute never visit the island?
(a) It is sacred ground.
(b) The inhabitants are cannibals.
(c) There is a war raging in its center.
(d) It is the focal point of a mysterious disease.
11. Into what language is the invention of Morel translated in 1953?
12. What is the name of the island?
13. What kind of poetry does Bioy favor?
(a) Epic poetry.
(b) Lyrical poetry.
14. The narrator say he knows very little about what?
15. What does the woman's bosom make her look like?
(a) A gypsy girl.
(b) A peasant girl.
(c) A witch.
(d) A fortune teller.
Short Answer Questions
1. Borges and Casares write about the virtues of what food product?
2. Which of the following poets wrote epic poetry?
3. The essayist say Casares's novels are rich in what?
4. Why does the narrator think the people he sees are a group of eccentrics?
5. What is the title of the essay Jose Ortega y Gasset wrote in 1925?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)