|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the group's favorite two records?
(a) Frogs and Viva.
(b) Tea for Two and Valencia.
(c) A Road to Nowhere and Carnage.
(d) One More Cup of Coffee and Sevilla.
2. Why does the narrator decide he must build a shelter?
(a) To keep him warm during the winter.
(b) To hide from the people.
(c) To shelter him from storms.
(d) To attract attention.
3. What is the name of Eliseo Subiela's metaphysical film?
(a) Doing For the Sake of It.
(b) Gross Misconduct.
(c) The Grand Illusion.
(d) Man Facing Southeast.
4. What room measures forty feet by fifty feet?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The library.
(c) The dining room.
(d) The lounge.
5. What is the only tree that grows in coral sands?
(a) The silver birch.
(b) The oak tree.
(c) The palm tree.
(d) The coconut tree.
6. Why does the narrator think some people like to wear old clothes?
(a) As a statement against the present.
(b) They are cheaper.
(c) They are easier to obtain.
(d) To capture the magic of the past.
7. What does Borges say Joyce's Ulysses is rather than a masterpiece?
(a) A beginning.
(b) A promise.
(c) A failure.
(d) An end.
8. Why does the narrator say he decided to go to the island despite of its dangers?
(a) He wanted adventure.
(b) He thought there would be gold there.
(c) He knew the Italian as a liar.
(d) His life was unbearable.
9. What writer does Borges claim has superior plots?
(a) Graham Greene.
(b) Patrica Highsmith.
(c) Fydor Dostoevsky.
(d) G.K. Chesterton.
10. What torments the author in the southern part of the island?
11. What genre did Robert Stevenson think the British reading public scorned in 1880?
(a) The crime novel.
(b) The science fiction novel.
(c) The sport novel.
(d) The adventure novel.
12. What is the novel Casares wrote in 1934?
(b) The New Storm.
(c) Beat It.
13. What is the name of the writer with whom Casares developed a close friendship?
(a) Peter Robinson.
(b) Jorge Luis Borges.
(c) Henry James.
(d) Garbriel Marcia Marquez.
14. What room does the narrator remember with disgust?
(a) The box room.
(b) The triangle room.
(c) The square room.
(d) The circular room.
15. Each god is three times larger than what?
(a) A pillar.
(b) A steeple.
(c) A basketball player.
(d) A man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What large collection does the museum have in one room?
2. Which of the following creatures can one find in the swimming pool?
3. The author awakens to the sound of what?
4. What does the author say came ahead of time?
5. What wakes the narrator from his sleep?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)