|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What room measures forty feet by fifty feet?
(a) The library.
(b) The dining room.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The lounge.
2. Why does the Italian say the Rockefeller Institute never visit the island?
(a) It is the focal point of a mysterious disease.
(b) There is a war raging in its center.
(c) It is sacred ground.
(d) The inhabitants are cannibals.
3. What is the name of the Italian rug merchant?
(a) Paulo Maldini.
(b) Roberto Baggio.
(c) Umberto Eco.
(d) Dalmacio Ombrellieri.
4. What is the name of the magazine where Bioy started his career?
(a) Latin Maker.
5. Which of the following poets wrote lyrical poems?
6. What does the author say he is bathed in after two or three minutes out of the pool?
7. Why does the narrator think some people like to wear old clothes?
(a) They are easier to obtain.
(b) To capture the magic of the past.
(c) As a statement against the present.
(d) They are cheaper.
8. Who translated the 1964 American edition of the Invention of Morel?
(a) Davis P. D. Quip.
(b) Jack Johnson.
(c) Doreen Hopper.
(d) Ruth L.C. Sims.
9. What does the Italian in Calcutta sell?
10. What genre did Robert Stevenson think the British reading public scorned in 1880?
(a) The crime novel.
(b) The adventure novel.
(c) The sport novel.
(d) The science fiction novel.
11. What can the narrator see from the marshlands?
(a) The mountainside.
(b) The top of a hill.
(c) The church.
(d) The town hall.
12. What is the name of the Mexican poet referenced in the introduction?
(a) Octavio Paz.
(b) Gabriella Brimmer.
(c) Pita Amor.
(d) Manuel Carpio.
13. What kind of pirates does the Italian say never go to the island?
(a) British pirates.
(b) Vietnamese pirates.
(c) Chinese pirates.
(d) Japanese pirates.
14. Which of the following does a group of white men build on the island?
(a) A post office.
(b) A museum.
(c) A factory.
(d) A school.
15. What building is on the lowlands of the island?
(a) A prison.
(b) A cafe.
(c) A mill.
(d) A factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Spanish poets and intellectuals fleeing in the 30s?
2. Which Edgar Allan Poe story does the writer reference in the introduction?
3. Who directs Last Year at Marienbad?
4. Which of the following words does the author use to describe Bioy's personality?
5. What is the name of the story where Bioy claims he finally has found his style?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)