|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Italian in Calcutta sell?
2. What is the title of the essay Jose Ortega y Gasset wrote in 1925?
(a) The Human Factor.
(b) The Interest in Fantastic Fiction.
(c) The Dehumanization of Art.
(d) The Rhythm of the Artist.
3. Why is it impossible to cut the trees on top of the hill?
(a) They are diseased.
(b) The wood is too hard.
(c) They are too young.
(d) They are guarded.
4. What is the name of the story the author says anticipates the Invention of Morel?
(a) The Girl in the Photograph.
(b) The Postcard Lovers.
(c) The Man Who Said Ho.
(d) Love Me Not.
5. What does the woman's bosom make her look like?
(a) A witch.
(b) A gypsy girl.
(c) A fortune teller.
(d) A peasant girl.
6. What is the only tree that grows in coral sands?
(a) The oak tree.
(b) The coconut tree.
(c) The silver birch.
(d) The palm tree.
7. Where does the narrator say he is afraid to return?
(a) The museum.
(b) The church.
(c) The mansion.
(d) The supermarket.
8. What room does the narrator remember with disgust?
(a) The triangle room.
(b) The square room.
(c) The circular room.
(d) The box room.
9. The author awakens to the sound of what?
(a) Birds singing.
(b) The radio.
(c) A gospel choir.
(d) A phonograph record.
10. What kind of poetry does Bioy favor?
(a) Lyrical poetry.
(b) Epic poetry.
11. What does Borges say Joyce's Ulysses is rather than a masterpiece?
(a) A promise.
(b) An end.
(c) A failure.
(d) A beginning.
12. Casares is from what country?
13. What does the narrator claims stops one from running away in dreams?
(a) A brick wall.
(b) A heavy weight.
(d) The screams of loved ones.
14. What is the name of the Japanese cruiser that finds the dead crew of a ship?
15. What is the name of the Italian rug merchant?
(a) Dalmacio Ombrellieri.
(b) Roberto Baggio.
(c) Umberto Eco.
(d) Paulo Maldini.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Spanish poets and intellectuals fleeing in the 30s?
2. What genre did Robert Stevenson think the British reading public scorned in 1880?
3. Which of the following words does the author use to describe the building on the hill?
4. What writer does Borges claim has superior plots?
5. What is the name of Eliseo Subiela's metaphysical film?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)