|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Borges say Joyce's Ulysses is rather than a masterpiece?
(a) A promise.
(b) An end.
(c) A failure.
(d) A beginning.
2. What is the novel Casares wrote in 1934?
(b) The New Storm.
(c) Beat It.
3. Where does the narrator say he is afraid to return?
(a) The mansion.
(b) The supermarket.
(c) The church.
(d) The museum.
4. What genre did Robert Stevenson think the British reading public scorned in 1880?
(a) The sport novel.
(b) The crime novel.
(c) The science fiction novel.
(d) The adventure novel.
5. What building is on the lowlands of the island?
(a) A cafe.
(b) A mill.
(c) A factory.
(d) A prison.
6. What is the name of the story the author says anticipates the Invention of Morel?
(a) The Postcard Lovers.
(b) The Man Who Said Ho.
(c) Love Me Not.
(d) The Girl in the Photograph.
7. Which of the following words does the narrator use to describe the rooms of the museum?
8. What does the author say came ahead of time?
(a) The Velvet Underground.
(d) The Beatles.
9. What does the narrator say the people look like from where he is standing?
10. The narrator says the men violate the sanctity of what?
(a) Corn fields and orchards.
(b) Family and Religion.
(c) Churches and cemeteries.
(d) Forests and deserts.
11. The narrator makes his bed out of what?
(a) Branches and leaves.
(b) Moss and leaves.
(c) Tree trunks and seaweed.
(d) Feathers and branches.
12. What does the beautiful woman wear over her dark curls?
(a) A cowboy hat.
(b) A bright scarf.
(c) A plastic bag.
(d) A map.
13. Why does the narrator say he decided to go to the island despite of its dangers?
(a) He knew the Italian as a liar.
(b) His life was unbearable.
(c) He thought there would be gold there.
(d) He wanted adventure.
14. What are the Spanish poets and intellectuals fleeing in the 30s?
(a) The First World War.
(b) The Communist Government.
(c) The Spanish Civil War.
(d) Franco's government.
15. What kind of poetry does Borges favor?
(a) Epic poetry.
(b) Lyrical poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator say he knows very little about what?
2. Which of the following poets wrote epic poetry?
3. What does the narrator move out by the swimming pool?
4. What writer does Borges claim has superior plots?
5. Why does the narrator think some people like to wear old clothes?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)