|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Italian in Calcutta sell?
2. What are the group's favorite two records?
(a) A Road to Nowhere and Carnage.
(b) One More Cup of Coffee and Sevilla.
(c) Tea for Two and Valencia.
(d) Frogs and Viva.
3. What is the only tree that grows in coral sands?
(a) The coconut tree.
(b) The palm tree.
(c) The oak tree.
(d) The silver birch.
4. What is the name of the story where Bioy claims he finally has found his style?
(a) Asleep in the Sun.
(b) The Celestial Plot.
(c) The Idol.
(d) Thinking Alone.
5. The people on the mountainside are unmindful of what kind of creature?
6. What is the name of the writer with whom Casares developed a close friendship?
(a) Peter Robinson.
(b) Henry James.
(c) Jorge Luis Borges.
(d) Garbriel Marcia Marquez.
7. Which of the following words does the author use to describe Bioy's personality?
8. Whose motto does the narrator say he will adopt as his own?
9. Which of the following words does the author use to describe the building on the hill?
10. What does the narrator say it would have been practical to build out of stones?
(a) A toilet.
(b) A house.
(c) An outdoor oven.
(d) A barricade.
11. What room does the narrator remember with disgust?
(a) The box room.
(b) The triangle room.
(c) The circular room.
(d) The square room.
12. What does the narrator claims stops one from running away in dreams?
(a) A heavy weight.
(b) A brick wall.
(c) The screams of loved ones.
13. The author awakens to the sound of what?
(a) The radio.
(b) A gospel choir.
(c) A phonograph record.
(d) Birds singing.
14. The town of Bearn is in what country?
15. Which French novelist does Borges reference in the prologue?
(a) Jean Paul Sartre.
(b) Andre Gide.
(c) Marcel Proust.
(d) Albert Camus.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which room does the narrator say he made discoveries on two separate occasions?
2. What kind of novel does Borges say is formless?
3. What is the novel Casares wrote in 1934?
4. Which of the following does a group of white men build on the island?
5. Which of the following words does the narrator use to describe the rooms of the museum?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)