|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the old man tell Princesse he is lucky?
2. What does Raymond offer Lamort?
3. What does the narrator say she could give to the baby she finds?
4. Why does the narrator’s roof still have holes in it?
5. What is the narrator’s relationship, in Between the Pool and the Gardenias, with the women in the earlier stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Princesse’s relationship with Catherine?
2. What are Princesse’s feelings about modeling nude?
3. How does the woman know when her son is asleep?
4. What does Catherine say about the project of capturing the human form in art?
5. What is the relationship between art and cock fighting in The Missing Peace?
6. How are mothers lost in The Missing Peace?
7. What happens at night at the burial ground?
8. How is Catherine, as an artist, different from other characters in Krik? Krak!?
9. How is Seeing Things Simply framed?
10. How does being exposed to Catherine’s painting and her point of view affect Princesse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of Krik? Krak!—did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)