|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the girl when she gets to be with her mother?
2. What does the girl’s mother hope for the girl?
3. Where does the girl visit her mother?
4. What miracle does Nineteen Thirty-Seven start with?
5. Who tells the girl that her mother has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it like in Haiti where the girl remains after the boy’s departure?
2. Describe the prison where the mother is kept.
3. Why is the girl’s mother in prison?
4. Why does Lili leave Guy’s eyes open at the end of A Wall of Fire Rising?
5. What is the significance of the hot-air balloon in A Wall of Fire Rising?
6. What is it like on the ship the boy is sailing in?
7. What consolation is there for the girl after her mother dies?
8. What is the history of the Massacre River?
9. What is the importance of Boukman’s speech in A Wall of Fire Rising?
10. What news does Lili greet Guy with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the audience for Krik? Krak!? What is the ideal reader for Krik? Krak! likely to think about the book’s main topics? How does this book try to affect the reader? What is it trying to teach him or her, or get him or her to do?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the most important plot points in Krik? Krak!. What is at stake in each of these moments? What possibilities do these moments present, and how are those possibilities channeled into specific actions or events? How does the plot chart its course among other alternative or possible plots?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)