|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does the girl’s mother reveal to her?
2. What does the girl do when the mother takes the statue of the madonna from her?
3. What does Guy ask for when he comes home?
4. Who are the macoutes?
5. What does the son do to make Guy angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the boy fleeing from Haiti?
2. Why does Guy get angry at his son?
3. Why does Lili leave Guy’s eyes open at the end of A Wall of Fire Rising?
4. Why is the girl’s mother in prison?
5. Describe the girl’s pilgrimage to the Massacre River.
6. What happens to the boy in the end of the story?
7. What is the history of the Madonna the girl carries?
8. What consolation is there for the girl after her mother dies?
9. Describe the prison where the mother is kept.
10. What is the history of the Massacre River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you rewrite Krik? Krak!, if you were to adapt it and make it your own? What part of the book would you preserve? What part would you change? Explain your motivation for the changes you would make.
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Use this book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)