|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy almost knock over, coming to his father?
2. What does the son do to make Guy angry?
3. What effect does the boy’s speech have on Guy and Lili?
4. What does the boy say he is glad his boat is not full of?
5. In the narrator’s account, who likely wrote the lines the boy is to say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What consolation is there for the girl after her mother dies?
2. Describe the girl’s pilgrimage to the Massacre River.
3. Why is the boy fleeing from Haiti?
4. What is the significance of the sugar mill, in the day and at night?
5. How does the boy in Children of the Sea describe his love for the girl?
6. Why is the girl’s mother in prison?
7. Describe the circumstances in which Guy and Lili live.
8. What happens to the boy in the end of the story?
9. What is the history of the Madonna the girl carries?
10. Why does Lili leave Guy’s eyes open at the end of A Wall of Fire Rising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the most important plot points in Krik? Krak!. What is at stake in each of these moments? What possibilities do these moments present, and how are those possibilities channeled into specific actions or events? How does the plot chart its course among other alternative or possible plots?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role and importance of voodoo in Krik? Krak!? How does Danticat characterize it? Using examples from the text, define Danticat’s view of voodoo.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of Krik? Krak!—did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)