|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How would you characterize the narrator’s tone toward her mother, in New York Day Women?
2. How did Raymond get his limp?
(a) He was beaten by soldiers.
(b) He was born with it.
(c) He was shot accidentally.
(d) He was shot in battle.
3. What does the narrator of Night Women tell her son when he asks about the angels?
(a) That he will see them soon enough.
(b) That he will never see them when he is looking.
(c) That he has all his life to see angels.
(d) That he will wish he had not seen them, when he does.
4. How does Emilie find out whether Lamort can read?
(a) She shows her her soap packet.
(b) She offers her a book.
(c) She gives her a magazine.
(d) She offers her a tin of cookies.
5. Why does the narrator’s roof still have holes in it?
(a) She does likes that the holes let the cooking smoke out.
(b) Her suitors are not men who know how to fix roofs.
(c) She can never make enough to fix them.
(d) Her suitors like to watch the stars through them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of Between the Pool and the Gardenias compare the dead baby to?
2. Where does Princesse make her drawing at the end of Seeing Things Simply?
3. In what situation does Catherine hope to paint Princesse one day?
4. When do day women come out?
5. What does Princesse feel about her body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between night and day in Night Women?
2. What predicament is the woman in, at the end of Between the Pool and the Gardenias?
3. Who are the woman’s suitors?
4. What is Princesse’s relationship with Catherine?
5. Where does Catherine go when she is gone for a week?
6. What is the woman’s relationship with the character in the earlier stories?
7. How did Raymond get his limp?
8. What kind of people typically stay in the Lamort’s grandmother’s hotel?
9. What does Catherine say about the project of capturing the human form in art?
10. What happens at night at the burial ground?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)