|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition does Lamort impose on Raymond’s request to touch her breasts?
(a) He has to tell her a story.
(b) He has to tell her a secret.
(c) He has to give her money.
(d) He has to get her out of this town.
2. What kind of people typically stay at Lamort’s grandmother’s house?
(a) Government officials.
3. What is Princesse’s involvement with the cock fight?
(a) She is walking past it.
(b) She is watching it.
(c) She is collecting someone from it.
(d) She is betting on it.
4. What happens when the narrator takes the baby with her to the market?
(a) No one notices.
(b) People accuse her of stealing the baby.
(c) People accuse her of killing the baby.
(d) People want to know who the father is.
5. Why doesn’t the narrator’s mother go to parent-teacher meetings?
(a) She doesn’t want her daughter to be ashamed.
(b) She doesn’t speak English very well.
(c) She doesn’t feel like she is really raising her daughter.
(d) She doesn’t want to fight with the teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lamort’s grandmother rub her body with?
2. Where does the narrator of New York Day Women see her mother?
3. How does Emilie find out whether Lamort can read?
4. Where does Princesse make her drawing at the end of Seeing Things Simply?
5. Who told Emilie that her mother might be in Ville Rose?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Catherine, as an artist, different from other characters in Krik? Krak!?
2. What is the girl’s relationship with Raymond?
3. How does the woman know when her son is asleep?
4. How does being exposed to Catherine’s painting and her point of view affect Princesse?
5. What is the relationship between art and cock fighting in The Missing Peace?
6. What gift does Emilie make to Lamort?
7. How does Danticat reveal the nature of the baby the woman has found in Between the Pool and the Gardenias?
8. What predicament is the woman in, at the end of Between the Pool and the Gardenias?
9. What are Princesse’s feelings about modeling nude?
10. How are mothers lost in The Missing Peace?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)