|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does the girl recreate her visit to the Massacre River when she goes to see her mother?
(a) She takes food.
(b) She takes extra clothing.
(c) She shaves her head.
(d) She goes barefoot.
2. How does the second narrator characterize her feeling in the first narrator’s absence?
3. What did people watch at the sugar mill?
(b) Government-sponsored TV.
(c) Dog fights.
(d) Cock fights.
4. Why did Guy and Lili keep their son close to them at the sugar mill?
(a) So he would not run off and be thought indigent.
(b) So he would not play with the other rough boys.
(c) So he would not think that he was alone there.
(d) So he would not stare at people and be called insolent.
5. What does the girl say her father regrets?
(a) Being mean to the boy.
(b) Letting her marry the boy.
(c) Keeping her from going with the boy.
(d) Ever letting her go to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the song, the lyric says that the singer had to leave Haiti before what happened?
2. How many people are passengers on the boat?
3. What does the boy say he is glad his boat is not full of?
4. What likely happened to the boy’s boat?
5. Who does Boukman see in the wall of fire that rises?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the sugar mill, in the day and at night?
2. What news does Lili greet Guy with?
3. What is it like in Haiti where the girl remains after the boy’s departure?
4. Describe the circumstances in which Guy and Lili live.
5. What news does Guy bring home, himself?
6. What happens to the boy in the end of the story?
7. Why is the girl’s mother in prison?
8. What is the importance of Boukman’s speech in A Wall of Fire Rising?
9. What consolation is there for the girl after her mother dies?
10. Describe the girl’s pilgrimage to the Massacre River.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)