|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one of the mothers come home with, when she visits the prison where the ‘radio six’ are kept?
(a) Her son’s death warrant.
(b) Her son’s body.
(c) Her living son.
(d) Her son’s head.
2. What terrifies Lili?
(a) Snakes and insects in the grass.
(b) The thought of the mill closing.
(c) Militiamen coming for them.
(d) The thought of her son performing.
3. Why is the girl’s mother in prison?
(a) She was accused of stealing a baby.
(b) She was accused of adultery.
(c) She was accused of bewitching a dead boy.
(d) She was accused of stealing food.
4. Who tells the girl that her mother has died?
(a) A woman who had been in prison with her mother.
(b) A woman who has been to the river with them.
(c) A woman whose mother had also given birth in he Massacre River.
(d) A guard from the prison.
5. What is the girl’s mother’s connection with the Massacre River?
(a) She was raped there.
(b) She was conceived there.
(c) She was born there.
(d) Her mother was killed there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Massacre River?
2. What effect does the boy’s speech have on Guy and Lili?
3. How does the girl know the person who tells her that her mother has died?
4. In the song, the lyric says that the singer had to leave Haiti before what happened?
5. Whose name is no one mentioning, according to the girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the history of the Madonna the girl carries?
2. What is the American involvement in 1937?
3. Describe the prison where the mother is kept.
4. How does the boy in Children of the Sea describe his love for the girl?
5. Why is the girl’s mother in prison?
6. What is the history of the Massacre River?
7. Describe the girl’s trip to visit her mother in prison.
8. What are the mood and tone of this story?
9. Describe the circumstances in which Guy and Lili live.
10. Describe the girl’s pilgrimage to the Massacre River.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)