|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the girl say when she finally talks to her mother?
(a) She asks whether her mother flew.
(b) She asks why she took her to Massacre River.
(c) She tells her mother she loves her.
(d) She asks when she will be home.
2. What is the girl told to throw away?
(a) Letters from her father.
(b) Clothes she wore to a rally.
(c) Pictures of dead soldiers.
(d) Tapes of the boy’s radio show.
3. How many people are passengers on the boat?
4. What is the dinner table made of, in Guy and Lili’s house?
(a) Plywood and bricks.
(b) Shipping crates.
(d) Laps—there is no table.
5. Where do Guy and Lili and their boy get their water from?
(a) The rain.
(b) The well.
(c) The faucet.
(d) The reservoir.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does the boy surprise his father?
2. What does the son do to make Guy angry?
3. What does the girl narrator see this miracle as a sign of?
4. What likely happened to the boy’s boat?
5. Why did Guy and Lili keep their son close to them at the sugar mill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What consolation is there for the girl after her mother dies?
2. What is the significance of the hot-air balloon in A Wall of Fire Rising?
3. What is the American involvement in 1937?
4. What news does Guy bring home, himself?
5. Why does Guy get angry at his son?
6. What happens to the pregnant girl on the ship?
7. What is it like on the ship the boy is sailing in?
8. What is the importance of Boukman’s speech in A Wall of Fire Rising?
9. Describe the circumstances in which Guy and Lili live.
10. Describe the girl’s pilgrimage to the Massacre River.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)