|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the girl’s mother’s health change the next time she sees her?
(a) She has a cough.
(b) She has a festering wound.
(c) She has a severe pain.
(d) She has lost her sight.
2. How does the girl know the person who tells her that her mother has died?
(a) The person knows the password.
(b) The person carries a letter from the mother.
(c) The person has a piece of her mother’s clothing.
(d) They play the questioning game.
3. Who does the boy dream of?
(a) The girl’s family.
(b) The bottom of the sea.
(c) His future wife.
(d) His childhood home.
4. For how many generations has the statue of the Madonna been in the girl’s family before her?
5. What does the girl say is the biggest weapon the government can use against the people?
(d) Indefinite detentions.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does the boy surprise his father?
2. What does the boy almost knock over, coming to his father?
3. What does the girl hear when she is hiding in the latrine?
4. What is Guy’s hairline supposed to indicate about him?
5. In the song, the lyric says that the singer had to leave Haiti before what happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the boy fleeing from Haiti?
2. How does the boy in Children of the Sea describe his love for the girl?
3. Describe the circumstances in which Guy and Lili live.
4. What is the importance of Boukman’s speech in A Wall of Fire Rising?
5. What news does Lili greet Guy with?
6. What is the significance of the hot-air balloon in A Wall of Fire Rising?
7. What are the mood and tone of this story?
8. Describe the girl’s pilgrimage to the Massacre River.
9. What consolation is there for the girl after her mother dies?
10. What news does Guy bring home, himself?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)