|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Guy’s hairline supposed to indicate about him?
(a) That he is lucky.
(b) That he will be wealthy.
(c) That he is not indigenous.
(d) That his life will be troubled.
2. What flaw does the narrator say he has?
(a) He cannot imagine the future.
(b) He imagines his death too easily.
(c) His imagination is frail.
(d) He imagines too much.
3. Who are the macoutes?
(a) Secret police.
(b) Local thugs.
(c) Elite soldiers.
(d) Local militia.
4. What does Guy ask for when he comes home?
5. In what way does the boy surprise his father?
(a) He has learned the whole history of Haiti’s slave revolt.
(b) He has already been rehearsing with his classmates.
(c) He already knows his lines.
(d) He has already borrowed clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl say her father regrets?
2. Why does the boy say that no one will mistake him and the others for Cuban, now?
3. Who had Trujillo massacred in the Dominican Republic?
4. What does the girl narrator see this miracle as a sign of?
5. Who is the first narrator of Children of the Sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the boy fleeing from Haiti?
2. What is the importance of Boukman’s speech in A Wall of Fire Rising?
3. Why is the girl’s mother in prison?
4. What is the history of the Madonna the girl carries?
5. Describe the girl’s pilgrimage to the Massacre River.
6. What is the significance of the hot-air balloon in A Wall of Fire Rising?
7. What consolation is there for the girl after her mother dies?
8. What is it like in Haiti where the girl remains after the boy’s departure?
9. What is the significance of the sugar mill, in the day and at night?
10. What happens to the boy in the end of the story?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)