|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the narrator’s bed and her son’s separated?
(a) Separate buildings.
(b) Separate rooms.
(c) Mosquito netting.
(d) A curtain.
2. How does the reader learn that the baby the narrator has found is dead?
(a) When its skin tears without bleeding.
(b) When it begins to turn black.
(c) When it begins to attract flies.
(d) When it the groundskeeper finds it.
3. What did Emilie’s mother do before she was killed?
(a) Raise children.
(d) Play music and sing.
4. Why does the narrator’s roof still have holes in it?
(a) Her suitors like to watch the stars through them.
(b) Her suitors are not men who know how to fix roofs.
(c) She does likes that the holes let the cooking smoke out.
(d) She can never make enough to fix them.
5. What happens to even miscarried children in Ville Rose, according to the narrator?
(a) They are ritually burned.
(b) All the pieces are buried.
(c) All the pieces are dried out and kept.
(d) They are hidden from anyone.
6. What does Emilie give to Lamort, for posterity?
(a) Her mother’s pieces of cloth.
(b) Her mother’s photograph.
(c) Her mother’s letters.
(d) Her mother’s name.
7. How would you characterize the narrator’s tone toward her mother, in New York Day Women?
8. What is the narrator’s relationship with the groundskeeper?
(a) They have not had much to do with each other.
(b) They are married.
(c) They slept together once.
(d) They are regular lovers.
9. When do day women come out?
(a) When no one expects them.
(b) When the night’s work is done.
(c) When their children need them.
(d) When they have their liberty.
10. What is the narrator’s job, in Between the Pool and the Gardenias?
11. Where does the narrator of New York Day Women see her mother?
(a) Midtown Manhattan.
(d) Ville Rose.
12. Who comes to the narrator on Tuesdays and Saturdays?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A writer.
13. What do Madame and Monsieur say is holding Haiti back?
14. How old is the narrator in Night Women?
15. What form does New York Day Women take?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine’s demeanor toward Princesse?
2. Why does Lamort say she cannot have sex with Raymond?
3. How old is Princesse in Seeing Things Simply?
4. What regime does Lamort say she supports?
5. Whose name does Lamort say she wants to use, now?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)