|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Lamort’s mother?
(a) She was killed at the Massacre River.
(b) She died giving birth to her.
(c) She was killed in the coup.
(d) She was killed by her husband.
2. What promise does Catherine make to Princesse?
(a) To share the money she gets for the paintings.
(b) Never to let anyone see her paintings of her.
(c) Not to let anyone in Haiti see her paintings of her.
(d) To sell the paintings for good money in Paris.
3. What regime does Lamort say she supports?
(a) The ancient regime.
(b) God’s regime.
(c) The old regime.
(d) The new regime.
4. What is the narrator’s relationship, in Between the Pool and the Gardenias, with the women in the earlier stories?
(a) They come from the town she came from.
(b) They have all worked for the same Madame.
(c) They are all Dominican like her.
(d) They are her ancestors.
5. What is the password Raymond tells Lamort?
(a) Don't shoot.
(b) I'm a friend.
(c) Long live the President.
6. How does the narrator tell whether her son is asleep?
(a) She strokes his cheek with her lips.
(b) She calls his names softly.
(c) She eats his favorite foods.
(d) She scratches his head.
7. How old is Princesse in Seeing Things Simply?
8. What is the narrator’s mother principally concerned with?
(a) The daughter’s career.
(b) The daughter marrying.
(c) The daughter’s health.
(d) The daughter sending money to Haiti.
9. Where does the narrator of New York Day Women work?
(b) The law.
(d) Fashion design.
10. What does the narrator say she feels about night-time?
11. In what situation does Catherine hope to paint Princesse one day?
(a) In the palace.
(b) In the city.
(c) On the beach.
(d) While she is sleeping.
12. What is the narrator’s relationship with the groundskeeper?
(a) They are regular lovers.
(b) They are married.
(c) They have not had much to do with each other.
(d) They slept together once.
13. What does the narrator say she could give to the baby she finds?
(a) The money she had saved.
(b) The blankets she had been crocheting.
(c) The love her husband no longer wanted.
(d) The clothes she made for her own babies.
14. What does Raymond invite Lamort to see from the pile of dirt?
(a) The sunset.
(b) A butterfly.
(c) His body.
(d) A lizard.
15. How would you characterize the narrator’s tone toward her mother, in New York Day Women?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of Night Women wear to tempt her suitors?
2. When do day women come out?
3. What does the narrator of Between the Pool and the Gardenias compare the dead baby to?
4. What is remarkable about Catherine’s sunbathing?
5. What is the old man like, who is watching the cock fight?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)