|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Emilie shows Lamort a photo of her (Emilie’s) mother?
(a) Lamort knows someone who knew her.
(b) Lamort says she knew her.
(c) Lamort does not recognize her.
(d) Lamort is not sure she remembers her.
2. Who comes to the narrator on Tuesdays and Saturdays?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A writer.
(d) A soldier.
3. Where are the cock fights taking place?
(a) In a hut.
(b) In the town.
(c) Beneath a banyan tree.
(d) On the beach.
4. What does the narrator say she feels about night-time?
5. What does Emilie give to Lamort, for posterity?
(a) Her mother’s photograph.
(b) Her mother’s name.
(c) Her mother’s pieces of cloth.
(d) Her mother’s letters.
6. Who told Emilie that her mother might be in Ville Rose?
(a) Her network of informers.
(b) Her sense of intuition.
(c) Her mother’s letters.
(d) Her mother’s colleagues.
7. How does the narrator characterize the old man?
8. What is the dead baby next to when the narrator finds it?
(a) A sewer.
(b) A house.
(c) A store.
(d) A road.
9. What story will the woman tell her son if he wakes up while she is with a customer?
(a) That she was not herself.
(b) That sex is a mystery.
(c) That a man is a mirage.
(d) That he dreamed it.
10. What would the narrator of Night Women like her son to forget about the place where they live?
(a) That they have nothing there.
(b) That nothing lasts there.
(c) That they could be driven out at any minute.
(d) That everything they had was taken.
11. Where does Princesse make her drawing at the end of Seeing Things Simply?
(a) In the water.
(b) In the air.
(c) On paper.
(d) In the dust.
12. What does Lamort tell Emilie when Emilie asks whether there were any women’s bodies found after the coup?
(a) She says that anyone inquiring about the dead was killed too.
(b) She says that the bodies were all burned.
(c) She says that there were no bodies.
(d) She says that the bodies were buried immediately.
13. What is remarkable about Catherine’s sunbathing?
(a) She never uses sunscreen.
(b) She never changes color.
(c) She never complains about her sunburn.
(d) She remains quite fair.
14. Whose name does Lamort say she wants to use, now?
(a) Emilie’s mother’s.
(b) Her grandmother’s.
(d) Her mother’s.
15. Where does the narrator of New York Day Women work?
(b) The law.
(c) Fashion design.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the daughter do with the clothing her mother buys her?
2. What does Lamort’s grandmother say will affect how people treat you?
3. What objection does Lamort’s grandmother make to the hibiscus she has brought home?
4. What does the narrator say her customer calls her, when she satisfies him?
5. What regime does Lamort say she supports?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)