|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lamort playing with at the beginning of The Missing Peace?
(b) A lizard.
(c) A dog.
2. What condition does Lamort impose on Raymond’s request to touch her breasts?
(a) He has to tell her a story.
(b) He has to tell her a secret.
(c) He has to get her out of this town.
(d) He has to give her money.
3. What is Princesse’s involvement with the cock fight?
(a) She is collecting someone from it.
(b) She is watching it.
(c) She is betting on it.
(d) She is walking past it.
4. What does Catherine say is the most important part of a face?
(a) The eyebrows.
(b) The eyes.
(c) The nose.
(d) The mouth.
5. What kind of people typically stay at Lamort’s grandmother’s house?
(c) Government officials.
6. What promise does Catherine make to Princesse?
(a) Never to let anyone see her paintings of her.
(b) To share the money she gets for the paintings.
(c) Not to let anyone in Haiti see her paintings of her.
(d) To sell the paintings for good money in Paris.
7. What do Madame and Monsieur say is holding Haiti back?
8. What is Catherine’s demeanor toward Princesse?
9. Why does the narrator say that certain women destroy at night the work they do in the day?
(a) So that they will keep their hands busy.
(b) As a way to bring men back to them.
(c) As a way of distracting themselves.
(d) So they will always have work to do.
10. What does the narrator say her customer calls her, when she satisfies him?
(a) A palace.
(b) An ocean.
(c) A river.
(d) An avalanche.
11. What does the narrator say she feels about night-time?
12. What is the dead baby next to when the narrator finds it?
(a) A road.
(b) A sewer.
(c) A house.
(d) A store.
13. What form does New York Day Women take?
14. What objection does Lamort’s grandmother make to the hibiscus she has brought home?
(a) They grow in the cemetery.
(b) They grow from the bones of the dead.
(c) They grow with blood on them.
(d) They refuse to show mourning for the dead.
15. What happens when Emilie shows Lamort a photo of her (Emilie’s) mother?
(a) Lamort does not recognize her.
(b) Lamort knows someone who knew her.
(c) Lamort says she knew her.
(d) Lamort is not sure she remembers her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Catherine from?
2. What is the password Raymond tells Lamort?
3. What is the literary term for the brief scene at the end of Seeing Things Simply?
4. What has Emilie brought pieces of cloth to Ville Rose for?
5. What is the narrator’s relationship, in Between the Pool and the Gardenias, with the women in the earlier stories?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)