|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the guards make the women dash themselves with cold water at night?
(a) To humiliate them.
(b) To keep wings from growing from their shoulders.
(c) To keep them clean.
(d) To keep them from sleeping well.
2. Why does the boy say that no one will mistake him and the others for Cuban, now?
(a) They are all sunburned.
(b) They have such good equipment.
(c) They are all so poor.
(d) They are all seasick.
3. What likely happened to the boy’s boat?
(a) It sank.
(b) It was captured by Haitian sailors.
(c) It arrived safely.
(d) It was destroyed in a storm.
4. What does the girl hear when she is hiding in the latrine?
(a) Soldiers beating her neighbor.
(b) Soldiers beating her mother.
(c) Soldiers searching her house.
(d) Soldiers shooting at a sniper.
5. Where is the narrator writing from?
(a) The ocean.
(b) A port.
(c) A prison ship.
(d) American waters.
6. Who is Boukman?
(a) A rebel leader.
(b) A Haitian president.
(c) A Haitian slave owner.
(d) An American singer.
7. What does the boy say is the only thing on Boukman’s mind?
8. For how many generations has the statue of the Madonna been in the girl’s family before her?
9. What is Guy’s first response to the news that their son will be in a play?
(a) He is irritated by the trouble.
(b) He is proud.
(c) He is indifferent to the news.
(d) He is wary of the cost.
10. What does the girl say her father regrets?
(a) Letting her marry the boy.
(b) Ever letting her go to school.
(c) Keeping her from going with the boy.
(d) Being mean to the boy.
11. How does the girl know the person who tells her that her mother has died?
(a) The person has a piece of her mother’s clothing.
(b) They play the questioning game.
(c) The person carries a letter from the mother.
(d) The person knows the password.
12. What does one of the mothers come home with, when she visits the prison where the ‘radio six’ are kept?
(a) Her living son.
(b) Her son’s body.
(c) Her son’s death warrant.
(d) Her son’s head.
13. Whose baby does the girl give birth to on the boat?
(a) Her husband’s.
(b) Her father’s.
(c) Her brother’s.
(d) Haitian soldiers’.
14. What has the girl’s manman buried behind the house?
(c) A baby.
(d) Political buttons.
15. What is Guy and Lili’s son called at school, on account of his hair?
(b) Pepper head.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize the boy’s voice when he recites his lines over his father’s dead body?
2. What is the dinner table made of, in Guy and Lili’s house?
3. What does the narrator compare Guy’s admiration for the hot-air balloon to?
4. In what way is the ocean like the boy’s love for the girl?
5. How long does the girl’s mother make her food last, in prison?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)