|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Guy finally tell his wife?
(a) That he was fired.
(b) That he was promoted.
(c) That he got work for the next day.
(d) That he was hired full-time.
2. What terrifies Lili?
(a) The thought of the mill closing.
(b) Militiamen coming for them.
(c) Snakes and insects in the grass.
(d) The thought of her son performing.
3. Why does the girl say she does not leave the house?
(a) Because none of the shops are open anyway.
(b) Because there is too much violence in the streets.
(c) Because the macoutes are always watching.
(d) Because she cannot go anywhere.
4. Who is the first narrator of Children of the Sea?
(a) A sailor.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A lover.
(d) A father.
5. Who is Boukman?
(a) A Haitian slave owner.
(b) A rebel leader.
(c) An American singer.
(d) A Haitian president.
6. How does the second narrator characterize her feeling in the first narrator’s absence?
7. What is Guy’s first response to the news that their son will be in a play?
(a) He is irritated by the trouble.
(b) He is indifferent to the news.
(c) He is proud.
(d) He is wary of the cost.
8. Why is the girl’s mother in prison?
(a) She was accused of adultery.
(b) She was accused of bewitching a dead boy.
(c) She was accused of stealing a baby.
(d) She was accused of stealing food.
9. What does the boy almost knock over, coming to his father?
(a) His mother.
(b) His books.
(c) The dinner table.
10. What is Guy’s hairline supposed to indicate about him?
(a) That his life will be troubled.
(b) That he will be wealthy.
(c) That he is not indigenous.
(d) That he is lucky.
11. What does Guy promise never to do?
(a) Put their son’s name on the waiting list for a job at the mill.
(b) Take their son away in the hot-air balloon.
(c) Steal anything, and possibly end up in prison.
(d) Go to any protests against the government.
12. How does the narrator characterize soldiers in Haiti?
13. Where is the Massacre River?
(a) On the border with the Dominican Republic.
(b) On the border with Cuba.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) In the center of the capital, Port-au-Prince.
14. What is the dinner table made of, in Guy and Lili’s house?
(a) Laps—there is no table.
(b) Plywood and bricks.
(d) Shipping crates.
15. For how many generations has the statue of the Madonna been in the girl’s family before her?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the girl when her mother took her on a pilgrimage to the Massacre River?
2. Who are the Assads?
3. What miracle does Nineteen Thirty-Seven start with?
4. What does her mother answer?
5. How does the girl’s mother’s health change the next time she sees her?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)