|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the girl say she wishes she could do?
(a) Kill with magic.
(b) Flee with magic.
(c) Flee the country.
(d) Join the army.
2. What does the boy say he is glad his boat is not full of?
(c) Pregnant women.
(d) Old people.
3. How does the girl know the person who tells her that her mother has died?
(a) The person knows the password.
(b) The person has a piece of her mother’s clothing.
(c) They play the questioning game.
(d) The person carries a letter from the mother.
4. Who is the first narrator of Children of the Sea?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A lover.
(c) A father.
(d) A sailor.
5. What does Lili want to know is in Guy’s dreams?
(a) Revenge for the government soldiers.
(b) Her and the boy.
(c) A more peaceful life.
(d) A better future for the boy.
6. What has the girl’s manman buried behind the house?
(b) Political buttons.
(c) A baby.
7. What does one of the mothers come home with, when she visits the prison where the ‘radio six’ are kept?
(a) Her living son.
(b) Her son’s death warrant.
(c) Her son’s head.
(d) Her son’s body.
8. What does the boy say is the only thing on Boukman’s mind?
9. In what way does the girl recreate her visit to the Massacre River when she goes to see her mother?
(a) She shaves her head.
(b) She takes food.
(c) She takes extra clothing.
(d) She goes barefoot.
10. How does the narrator characterize the boy’s voice when he recites his lines over his father’s dead body?
(a) An old man’s rasp.
(b) A child’s little whimper.
(c) A woman’s tender lament.
(d) A man’s grieving roar.
11. What does the boy almost knock over, coming to his father?
(a) His books.
(c) His mother.
(d) The dinner table.
12. Where is the narrator writing from?
(a) A prison ship.
(b) A port.
(c) The ocean.
(d) American waters.
13. In what way does the boy surprise his father?
(a) He already knows his lines.
(b) He has already borrowed clothes.
(c) He has already been rehearsing with his classmates.
(d) He has learned the whole history of Haiti’s slave revolt.
14. What is the dinner table made of, in Guy and Lili’s house?
(a) Laps—there is no table.
(b) Plywood and bricks.
(d) Shipping crates.
15. What miracle does Nineteen Thirty-Seven start with?
(a) A healing scar.
(b) A man brought back to life.
(c) The face of Jesus.
(d) A crying madonna.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Guy and Lili and their boy get their water from?
2. Who is Boukman?
3. What danger does the boy’s boat face?
4. How does the second narrator characterize her feeling in the first narrator’s absence?
5. Who tells the girl that her mother has died?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)