|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the girl say she wishes she could do?
(a) Kill with magic.
(b) Join the army.
(c) Flee with magic.
(d) Flee the country.
2. What does the boy say he is glad his boat is not full of?
(a) Old people.
(d) Pregnant women.
3. What is the girl told to throw away?
(a) Pictures of dead soldiers.
(b) Letters from her father.
(c) Clothes she wore to a rally.
(d) Tapes of the boy’s radio show.
4. How old are the narrators?
(a) About nineteen.
(b) About fourteen.
(c) About seventeen.
(d) About twenty-five.
5. In what way is the ocean like the boy’s love for the girl?
(a) It is filled with life.
(b) It is changeable.
(c) It is tempestuous.
(d) It is endless.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy say that no one will mistake him and the others for Cuban, now?
2. Who are the macoutes?
3. Who does the boy dream of?
4. Whose baby does the girl give birth to on the boat?
5. How does the second narrator characterize her feeling in the first narrator’s absence?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)