|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krapp do with the first item he takes out of his pocket after he shuts off the tape in Part 2?
2. What is the second item Krapp takes out of his pocket after he shuts off the tape in Part 2?
3. How many definitions does the word that Krapp looks up in Part 2 have?
4. Where does Krapp-on-tape say the woman he was intimate with had a scratch?
5. What does Krapp-on-tape describe when he says "I happened to look up and there it was. All over and done with at last"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of the tape recorder in the play. What is the tape recorder able to achieve that would have been impossible if it were missing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of memory in the play. What purpose does the author have for portraying Krapp's memories through his tapes? Is this method of presenting memories in the play successful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of Krapp's name. What purpose does the author have for giving him this name? What does the name suggest about the play's overall theme?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)