|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krapp not do with his hands when he comes back from offstage for the first time?
2. What street does Krapp-on-tape say he lived on with the woman when he was younger?
3. What does Krapp do with the item he takes out of the first drawer in his desk?
4. Finish the lyrics to Krapp's song: "Now the day is over, Night is drawing nigh-igh, ____".
5. Who is the author of Krapp's Last Tape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Krapp-on-tape talking about when Krapp-at-the-desk fast-forwards the tape the first time?
2. How is the word "viduity" defined according to Krapp's dictionary?
3. What does Krapp do with his little black ball according to his old tape?
4. What does Krapp talk about just after finishing his song in Part 3?
5. What does Krapp-on-tape say regarding bananas?
6. What does Krapp first talk about when he starts recording in Part 3?
7. Describe what Krapp does with the first banana in the play.
8. How does Krapp describe the scenery where he could have spent his life with a woman during his tape recording in Part 3?
9. What does Krapp do just after turning on his first tape in Part 1?
10. Describe Krapp's only interaction with the dark young beauty.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism of the use of the word "viduity" in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Krapp's name. What purpose does the author have for giving him this name? What does the name suggest about the play's overall theme?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of the tape recorder in the play. What is the tape recorder able to achieve that would have been impossible if it were missing?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)