|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the woman who lived with Krapp does Krapp-on-tape describe as warm?
2. Where does Krapp sit after coming back from offstage for the first time?
3. What is the first thing that Krapp reads from his ledger in Part 1?
4. Where does Part 1 take place?
5. Where does Krapp put the second banana he peels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Krapp do when he comes back onstage for the second time in Part 1?
2. How does Krapp describe the scenery where he could have spent his life with a woman during his tape recording in Part 3?
3. What is Krapp-on-tape talking about that causes Krapp-at-the-desk to rewind?
4. What does Krapp do with his second banana in Part 1?
5. What does Krapp do offstage at the end of Part 2?
6. Describe what Krapp does when he goes offstage for the first time in the play and what he brings back onstage with him.
7. Describe the encounter a young Krapp has with a white dog in Part 2.
8. What does Krapp do after putting the blank tape in the machine at the end of Part 2?
9. What and why does Krapp proclaim not to want back at the end of the play?
10. How does Krapp react during and after his song in Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the role of the envelope in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of isolation in the play. What effect does isolation have on the different stages of Krapp's life? How does Krapp choose to deal with his isolation?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the symbolism of the little black ball and its ties to the death of Krapp's mother.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)