|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many drawers does Krapp's desk have in the play?
2. What does Krapp-on-tape say makes him feel less alone?
3. Finish the lyrics to Krapp's song: "Now the day is over, Night is drawing nigh-igh, ____".
4. What does Krapp not do with his hands when he comes back from offstage for the first time?
5. How is the voice on tape first described in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Krapp do after putting the blank tape in the machine at the end of Part 2?
2. What does Krapp talk about regarding his book sales?
3. What is Krapp-on-tape talking about that causes Krapp-at-the-desk to rewind?
4. What does Krapp-on-tape talk about that causes Krapp-at-the-desk to laugh in Part 1?
5. Describe how the stage appears in Part 1.
6. What is being discussed on tape that causes Krapp to curse in Part 2?
7. What does Krapp do offstage at the end of Part 2?
8. What does Krapp do when he goes offstage for the second time in Part 1?
9. What does Krapp do with his second banana in Part 1?
10. How does Krapp react during and after his song in Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the role of the envelope in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's purpose in using action on and off stage in the play. What might he be hoping to achieve using this method?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of Krapp regretting his past but refusing to change his ways or wish to do it over. What reasons does he have for feeling this way? What might the author be saying about second-guessing one's choices?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)