|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krapp take out of the second drawer in his desk in Part 1?
2. What kind of glasses does Krapp wear?
3. How old is the Krapp first heard on tape?
4. How does Krapp-on-tape describe his birthday?
5. What does Krapp do with the first thing he takes out of his pocket in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what manner does Krapp talk about spools in Part 3?
2. What does Krapp do when he goes offstage for the second time in Part 1?
3. What does Krapp do after he finishes his first banana in Part 1?
4. Describe the encounter a young Krapp has with a white dog in Part 2.
5. What does Krapp talk about regarding his book sales?
6. How does Krapp describe the scenery where he could have spent his life with a woman during his tape recording in Part 3?
7. Describe Krapp and the scene at the end of the play.
8. How is the word "viduity" defined according to Krapp's dictionary?
9. How does Krapp describe the Croghan?
10. What does Krapp say regarding his last meeting with the woman in Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of Krapp as an old man fast-forwarding and rewinding his tapes. Analyze the nature of the material being discussed that causes Krapp to do this. What might this say about how Krapp feels about the nature of what is being discussed on the tapes that warrant him to skip over it or come back to it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of age in the play. How is Krapp portrayed at the different ages of his life? What might the author be saying about age?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of the tape recorder in the play. What is the tape recorder able to achieve that would have been impossible if it were missing?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)