|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the voice on tape first described in Part 1?
2. Who is the author of Krapp's Last Tape?
3. Where does Krapp-on-tape say he celebrated his birthday that year?
4. What is the second thing Krapp takes out of his pocket in Part 1?
5. What is the last thing heard on the tape before Krapp switches it off and goes offstage for the second time in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krapp-on-tape describe the dark young beauty in the play?
2. What does Krapp do after hearing the word "viduity" on tape in Part 2?
3. What does Krapp do just after turning on his first tape in Part 1?
4. What does Krapp-on-tape say regarding his "vision at last"?
5. What does Krapp talk about regarding his book sales?
6. Describe Krapp's only interaction with the dark young beauty.
7. What and why does Krapp proclaim not to want back at the end of the play?
8. What does Krapp do after he begins reading his ledger in Part 1?
9. What does Krapp do with his little black ball according to his old tape?
10. Describe Krapp's body language when he first turns on his tape recorder.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism of the use of the word "viduity" in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the banana and/or peel in the play. What might this object be representing symbolically of the nature of Krapp's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Krapp as an old man fast-forwarding and rewinding his tapes. Analyze the nature of the material being discussed that causes Krapp to do this. What might this say about how Krapp feels about the nature of what is being discussed on the tapes that warrant him to skip over it or come back to it?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)