|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Krapp's voice described in Part 1?
2. At what time of day does Part 1 take place?
3. What does Krapp do after eating a bite of banana in Part 1?
4. Finish the sentence: "Closing with a yelp to _____".
5. What is the name of the woman Krapp-on-tape says he used to live with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Krapp do when he comes back onstage for the second time in Part 1?
2. How does Krapp-on-tape describe his intimate moment with the woman?
3. How does Krapp-on-tape describe the setting of his intimate moment with the woman in Part 2?
4. What and why does Krapp proclaim not to want back at the end of the play?
5. What does Krapp do after hearing the word "viduity" on tape in Part 2?
6. How is Krapp's physical appearance described?
7. What does Krapp talk about regarding his book sales?
8. What part of the 30-year-old tape does Krapp listen to at the end of the play?
9. How does Krapp-on-tape describe the dark young beauty in the play?
10. How does Krapp-on-tape describe what the woman did when he asked her to look at him in Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of Krapp as an old man fast-forwarding and rewinding his tapes. Analyze the nature of the material being discussed that causes Krapp to do this. What might this say about how Krapp feels about the nature of what is being discussed on the tapes that warrant him to skip over it or come back to it?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism in the use of light and dark imagery in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of Krapp regretting his past but refusing to change his ways or wish to do it over. What reasons does he have for feeling this way? What might the author be saying about second-guessing one's choices?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)