|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Krapp-on-tape say he celebrated his birthday that year?
2. What does Krapp-on-tape say makes him feel less alone?
3. What does Krapp take out of the second drawer of his desk after almost falling onstage in Part 1?
4. In what way is Krapp positioned at his desk at the beginning of Part 1?
5. What size are Krapp's boots?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Krapp say about his younger self after he finishes listening to the old tapes?
2. How does Krapp-on-tape describe his intimate moment with the woman?
3. What does Krapp say is gone at the end of the play?
4. What is being discussed on tape that causes Krapp to curse in Part 2?
5. How does Krapp describe the park in Part 3?
6. Describe what Krapp does when he goes offstage for the first time in the play and what he brings back onstage with him.
7. What does Krapp do after hearing the word "viduity" on tape in Part 2?
8. How does Krapp-on-tape describe the dark young beauty in the play?
9. Describe Krapp's body language when he first turns on his tape recorder.
10. How does Krapp-on-tape describe the March night in Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of singing in the play. What does singing seem to represent to Krapp-on-tape compared to Krapp-at-the-desk?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the tape recorder in the play. What is the tape recorder able to achieve that would have been impossible if it were missing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Krapp's mother in the play. How did his relationship with his mother affect how he would later live his life? What effect does losing his mother seem to have on his ability to be happy?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)