|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krapp do with the item he takes out of the first drawer in his desk?
2. What is the name of the woman Krapp-on-tape says he used to live with?
3. Finish the title of this ledger notation seen in Part 1: "Farewell to ___".
4. How is the voice on tape first described in Part 1?
5. What resolution does Krapp-on-tape talk about having as a young man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Krapp talk about regarding his book sales?
2. Describe Krapp's body language when he first turns on his tape recorder.
3. What does Krapp do after putting the blank tape in the machine at the end of Part 2?
4. What does Krapp-on-tape discuss regarding singing in Part 1?
5. Describe Krapp's only interaction with the dark young beauty.
6. What does Krapp do when he comes back onstage at the end of Part 2?
7. What is being discussed on tape that causes Krapp to curse in Part 2?
8. What does Krapp-on-tape say regarding bananas?
9. What does Krapp do with his second banana in Part 1?
10. What is Krapp-on-tape talking about when Krapp-at-the-desk fast-forwards the tape the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Krapp-on-tape's discussion of his "visions at last" and the reaction towards this from Krapp as an old man.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the tape recorder in the play. What is the tape recorder able to achieve that would have been impossible if it were missing?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the symbolism of the little black ball and its ties to the death of Krapp's mother.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)