|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Part 1 take place?
2. Finish the title of this ledger notation seen in Part 1: "Farewell to ___".
3. What size are Krapp's boots?
4. What resolution does Krapp-on-tape talk about having as a young man?
5. In what way is Krapp positioned at his desk at the beginning of Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Krapp's only interaction with the dark young beauty.
2. What does Krapp say about his younger self after he finishes listening to the old tapes?
3. How is Krapp's physical appearance described?
4. What is Krapp-on-tape talking about when Krapp-at-the-desk fast-forwards the tape the first time?
5. Describe what Krapp is wearing in Part 1.
6. What does Krapp-on-tape talk about that causes Krapp-at-the-desk to laugh in Part 1?
7. What does Krapp-on-tape discuss regarding singing in Part 1?
8. When Krapp begins contemplating whether to finish his tape, what does he suggest as an alternative?
9. What does Krapp talk about regarding his book sales?
10. What are some of the subjects discussed by Krapp-on-tape that are in list form?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of the tape recorder in the play. What is the tape recorder able to achieve that would have been impossible if it were missing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of memory in the play. What purpose does the author have for portraying Krapp's memories through his tapes? Is this method of presenting memories in the play successful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of Krapp's name. What purpose does the author have for giving him this name? What does the name suggest about the play's overall theme?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)