|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day does Part 1 take place?
2. What does Krapp take out of the second drawer in his desk in Part 1?
3. What noise is heard offstage for the first time?
4. Finish the sentence: "Closing with a yelp to _____".
5. What does Krapp not do with his hands when he comes back from offstage for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krapp-on-tape describe the setting of his intimate moment with the woman in Part 2?
2. In what manner does Krapp talk about spools in Part 3?
3. How does Krapp describe the Croghan?
4. Describe the encounter a young Krapp has with a white dog in Part 2.
5. What happens to Krapp physically after he finishes eating his first banana in Part 1?
6. How is the word "viduity" defined according to Krapp's dictionary?
7. What does Krapp do offstage at the end of Part 2?
8. What does Krapp-on-tape talk about that causes Krapp-at-the-desk to laugh in Part 1?
9. What is being discussed on tape that causes Krapp to curse in Part 2?
10. How does Krapp-on-tape celebrate his 39th birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism in the use of light and dark imagery in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Krapp as an old man fast-forwarding and rewinding his tapes. Analyze the nature of the material being discussed that causes Krapp to do this. What might this say about how Krapp feels about the nature of what is being discussed on the tapes that warrant him to skip over it or come back to it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of age in the play. How is Krapp portrayed at the different ages of his life? What might the author be saying about age?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)