|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Krapp's Last Tape?
2. In what way is Krapp positioned at his desk at the beginning of Part 1?
3. What part of the woman who lived with Krapp does Krapp-on-tape describe as warm?
4. What noise is heard offstage for the first time?
5. What causes Krapp to nearly fall onstage in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krapp-on-tape describe his intimate moment with the woman?
2. Describe what Krapp is wearing in Part 1.
3. How does Krapp describe the park in Part 3?
4. What and why does Krapp proclaim not to want back at the end of the play?
5. What part of the 30-year-old tape does Krapp listen to at the end of the play?
6. Describe how the stage appears in Part 1.
7. How does Krapp describe the Croghan?
8. How is the word "viduity" defined according to Krapp's dictionary?
9. Describe Krapp's body language when he first turns on his tape recorder.
10. What does Krapp do after putting the blank tape in the machine at the end of Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's purpose in using action on and off stage in the play. What might he be hoping to achieve using this method?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of the use of the word "viduity" in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of drinking in the play. What does drinking represent to Krapp as an old man? What does drinking help to replace in his life?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)