|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What size are Krapp's boots?
2. In what way is Krapp positioned at his desk at the beginning of Part 1?
3. With whom does Krapp-on-tape say he celebrated his birthday?
4. Finish the lyrics to Krapp's song: "Now the day is over, Night is drawing nigh-igh, ____".
5. What is the name of the woman that Krapp-on-tape says usually sings at that particular hour when he is recording?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krapp react during and after his song in Part 3?
2. What does Krapp say regarding his last meeting with the woman in Part 3?
3. What does Krapp do with his second banana in Part 1?
4. What does Krapp do after hearing the word "viduity" on tape in Part 2?
5. What does Krapp say about his younger self after he finishes listening to the old tapes?
6. Describe what Krapp is wearing in Part 1.
7. What does Krapp do just after turning on his first tape in Part 1?
8. What and why does Krapp proclaim not to want back at the end of the play?
9. What is Krapp-on-tape discussing at the beginning of Part 2?
10. Describe how the stage appears in Part 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of intimacy in the play. What does intimacy represent to Krapp-on-tape compared to Krapp as an old man?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Krapp as an old man fast-forwarding and rewinding his tapes. Analyze the nature of the material being discussed that causes Krapp to do this. What might this say about how Krapp feels about the nature of what is being discussed on the tapes that warrant him to skip over it or come back to it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of memory in the play. What purpose does the author have for portraying Krapp's memories through his tapes? Is this method of presenting memories in the play successful?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)