|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are Krapp's boots?
2. How is the voice on tape first described in Part 1?
3. How is a nurse described in Part 1?
4. What does Krapp take out of the second drawer in his desk in Part 1?
5. What does Krapp do after eating a bite of banana in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Krapp's only interaction with the dark young beauty.
2. What does Krapp say about his younger self after he finishes listening to the old tapes?
3. How is the word "viduity" defined according to Krapp's dictionary?
4. What is Krapp-on-tape discussing at the beginning of Part 2?
5. What is Krapp-on-tape talking about that causes Krapp-at-the-desk to rewind?
6. What does Krapp do with his envelope at the beginning of Part 3?
7. What does Krapp do when he comes back onstage for the second time in Part 1?
8. What is the nature of Krapp-on-tape's discussion of the lighthouse?
9. What does Krapp do when he comes back onstage at the end of Part 2?
10. Describe what Krapp does when he goes offstage for the first time in the play and what he brings back onstage with him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of memory in the play. What purpose does the author have for portraying Krapp's memories through his tapes? Is this method of presenting memories in the play successful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the role of the envelope in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of drinking in the play. What does drinking represent to Krapp as an old man? What does drinking help to replace in his life?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)