|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many drawers does Krapp's desk have in the play?
2. What is the last thing heard on the tape before Krapp switches it off and goes offstage for the second time in Part 1?
3. What does Krapp take out of the second drawer of his desk after almost falling onstage in Part 1?
4. How many popped corks are heard when Krapp goes offstage the second time in Part 1?
5. How is a nurse described in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Krapp-on-tape say regarding his "vision at last"?
2. How is the word "viduity" defined according to Krapp's dictionary?
3. What are some of the subjects discussed by Krapp-on-tape that are in list form?
4. What happens to Krapp physically after he finishes eating his first banana in Part 1?
5. How does Krapp describe the Croghan?
6. Describe Krapp's only interaction with the dark young beauty.
7. Describe what is on Krapp's desk at the beginning of Part 1.
8. How does Krapp-on-tape describe the setting of his intimate moment with the woman in Part 2?
9. What is being discussed on tape that causes Krapp to curse in Part 2?
10. What is Krapp-on-tape talking about that causes Krapp-at-the-desk to rewind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of the tape recorder in the play. What is the tape recorder able to achieve that would have been impossible if it were missing?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the significance in the title of the play. What does the title suggest is the theme or moral of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of intimacy in the play. What does intimacy represent to Krapp-on-tape compared to Krapp as an old man?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)