|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman that Krapp-on-tape says usually sings at that particular hour when he is recording?
2. What color ball does Krapp talk about in Part 1?
3. Finish the lyrics to Krapp's song: "Now the day is over, Night is drawing nigh-igh, ____".
4. Where does Krapp-on-tape mention he jotted down some notes during his birthday?
5. How old is the Krapp first heard on tape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Krapp tell himself to "keep 'em under"?
2. How does Krapp describe the park in Part 3?
3. What does Krapp say about his younger self after he finishes listening to the old tapes?
4. What does Krapp do offstage at the end of Part 2?
5. What are some of the daydreams suggested by Krapp to replace recording his tape?
6. What does Krapp-on-tape say regarding his "vision at last"?
7. What does Krapp do after hearing the word "viduity" on tape in Part 2?
8. What does Krapp do after putting the blank tape in the machine at the end of Part 2?
9. How does Krapp-on-tape describe the dark young beauty in the play?
10. How does Krapp-on-tape describe the setting of his intimate moment with the woman in Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of intimacy in the play. What does intimacy represent to Krapp-on-tape compared to Krapp as an old man?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the banana and/or peel in the play. What might this object be representing symbolically of the nature of Krapp's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Krapp's mother in the play. How did his relationship with his mother affect how he would later live his life? What effect does losing his mother seem to have on his ability to be happy?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)