|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Krapp takes out of his pocket in Part 1?
2. What color is Krapp's watch and chain?
3. Where does Krapp sit after coming back from offstage for the first time?
4. Finish the sentence: "Closing with a yelp to _____".
5. At what time of day does Part 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Krapp's only interaction with the dark young beauty.
2. What is Krapp-on-tape talking about when Krapp-at-the-desk fast-forwards the tape the first time?
3. How does Krapp-on-tape describe his intimate moment with the woman?
4. How does Krapp describe the Croghan?
5. What does Krapp say is gone at the end of the play?
6. What does Krapp do when he goes offstage for the second time in Part 1?
7. How does Krapp-on-tape describe the setting of his intimate moment with the woman in Part 2?
8. What does Krapp talk about just after finishing his song in Part 3?
9. How does Krapp-on-tape describe the March night in Part 2?
10. What does Krapp do after he begins reading his ledger in Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony of Krapp regretting his past but refusing to change his ways or wish to do it over. What reasons does he have for feeling this way? What might the author be saying about second-guessing one's choices?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Krapp's mother in the play. How did his relationship with his mother affect how he would later live his life? What effect does losing his mother seem to have on his ability to be happy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of memory in the play. What purpose does the author have for portraying Krapp's memories through his tapes? Is this method of presenting memories in the play successful?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)