|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Bengt compare the accident?
2. How large are the sharks caught by the crew?
3. What is a frigate?
4. How long are the reefs encountered by the Kon-Tiki?
5. From what ailment does the little boy suffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. There is one thing that turns out to be advantageous to a raft that would be dangerous to a boat. What is it? What is the advantage?
2. There is at least one thing that Heyerdahl feels he has in common with the ancients. What is it?
3. How does the crew avoid hitting the Takume and Raroia reefs? What is the result?
4. Where is the final destination? Who invites/receives the crew?
5. Where do the men nearly land? How do they determine the name?
6. What happens when the raft approaches Angatau?
7. The crew entertains themselves by playing with what dangerous sea creatures? How do they play with them?
8. What type of food do the men eat on board? What are the options?
9. What type of pet is adopted by the crew while out at sea? What does the pet eat?
10. What are the names given to the South Sea Islands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book details the end of the journey after the Kon-Tiki arrives at its destination. Detail the landing of the Kon-Tiki, its location, and how it was received. Who was on hand to welcome the crew ashore? Did the trip prove Heyerdahl's theory? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There are several cases of foreshadowing used in the book. At least two involve the forthcoming incident of a man going overboard. Was the foreshadowing entirely correct? What actually happened? What was the outcome of the events? Who was involved in each event?
Essay Topic 3
The Kon-Tiki ended up docking in the lagoon of a tiny, uninhabited island. While there were no people, there were certain artifacts found. What items are found on the island and what do they indicate? How did the crew respond to finding the items? Was there any way to tell when the artifacts may have been left there? If so, what? What did the crew do with the items?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)