|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a frigate?
2. In how many hours was the crew supposed to make contact?
3. What are stationed atop of the statues at Easter Island?
4. How many storms are faced by the crew at this time?
5. What item may have been eaten to ward off fatigue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Heyerdahl thinks about how the ancients might have gathered or transported water. What were his conclusions?
2. Naval experts warned the crew about certain sea life. What fish was the crew warned about and how did the crew aim to protect themselves from attack?
3. What type of food do the men eat on board? What are the options?
4. How do the men keep occupied while out on the sea? How are conflicts handled?
5. The crew entertains themselves by playing with what dangerous sea creatures? How do they play with them?
6. What is Bengt's comment regarding the near collision and trip to the island?
7. What items are found on the island and what do they indicate?
8. What danger attacks two crew members? How do they escape?
9. Pilot fish are some of the fish that accompany the raft during the trip. How does Heyerdahl describe the pilot fish?
10. What item was destroyed on Easter Island that may have detailed the region's history? Who destroyed the item?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The crew is surprised when they are able to make radio contact with a ham radio operator in Los Angeles named Hal. Why was the crew surprised to make contact? How did Hal respond to the conversation? Did the crew members ever speak to Hal again? What information was exchanged?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the trip to Guayaquil? Was Guayaquil the appropriate spot for the mission? Describe the climate and general atmosphere of Guayaquil along with its location and overview of its culture. Explain the level of success of the mission and state the reasons for the opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Once the crew has been rescued from the island, they have conversations with the tribal chief and vice-chief. Thor attempts to explain the purpose for the voyage, which leads to a discussion. What topic is discussed by Thor and Teka? What is Teka's reaction to Thor's theory? Is there a conflict? If so, how is it resolved? What is the final relationship between the crew and the natives?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)