|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people live on the island?
2. What time of day is the first island discovered?
3. What causes some of the ropes to break?
4. After missing the first island, the Kon-Tiki sails toward which island?
5. Which is NOT discovered on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of pet is adopted by the crew while out at sea? What does the pet eat?
2. What hinders the Kon-Tiki from traveling to a second island?
3. There is at least one thing that Heyerdahl feels he has in common with the ancients. What is it?
4. What items are found on the island and what do they indicate?
5. How does the crew avoid hitting the Takume and Raroia reefs? What is the result?
6. What item was destroyed on Easter Island that may have detailed the region's history? Who destroyed the item?
7. How did Easter Island get its name? What about the island changed at that time?
8. What happens when the raft approaches Angatau?
9. What type of food do the men eat on board? What are the options?
10. With whom does the crew make contact? How is the contact made?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personalities of Thor Heyerdahl and Peter Freuchen, the Danish Arctic explorer. Was one of the men correct? Were they opinions expressed by the men in direct conflict? Did either of them prove to be correct?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the trip to Guayaquil? Was Guayaquil the appropriate spot for the mission? Describe the climate and general atmosphere of Guayaquil along with its location and overview of its culture. Explain the level of success of the mission and state the reasons for the opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What was the first observation that led Heyerdahl to develop the theory about the Pacific Islands? Do you think that the author had significant information to develop such a theory? Who believed or disbelieved Heyerdahl's theory? How did those opinions affect the trip eventually undertaken by the Kon-Tiki?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)