|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles into the trip is considered to be halfway?
2. What sea creature most impresses Heyerdahl?
3. The pilot fish remind the crew of what animal?
4. Heyerdahl thinks that the first voyagers may have had what color of hair?
5. Which of these is NOT presented to the crew by the natives?
Short Essay Questions
1. There is one thing that turns out to be advantageous to a raft that would be dangerous to a boat. What is it? What is the advantage?
2. How did Easter Island get its name? What about the island changed at that time?
3. What item was destroyed on Easter Island that may have detailed the region's history? Who destroyed the item?
4. Naval experts warned the crew about certain sea life. What fish was the crew warned about and how did the crew aim to protect themselves from attack?
5. What hinders the Kon-Tiki from traveling to a second island?
6. Where is the final destination? Who invites/receives the crew?
7. Heyerdahl thinks about how the ancients might have gathered or transported water. What were his conclusions?
8. What type of food do the men eat on board? What are the options?
9. What evidence is there of the stone work on Easter Island? How did it change?
10. What are the names given to the South Sea Islands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the weather in the South Seas had gone unreported, often leaving the crew in the dark as to what to expect. Why is this true? Why was it important for the crew to report the weather? To who was the weather reported? What became of the information? How might it benefit future sailors?
Essay Topic 2
What was the first observation that led Heyerdahl to develop the theory about the Pacific Islands? Do you think that the author had significant information to develop such a theory? Who believed or disbelieved Heyerdahl's theory? How did those opinions affect the trip eventually undertaken by the Kon-Tiki?
Essay Topic 3
How do the natives from the nearby island help the crew of the Kon-Tiki? How is the plan acted out? What is the reaction of the other natives? How do the natives welcome the crew? Was the reception appropriate? Were gifts offered? Explain.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)