|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does one of the natives speak?
2. What do the crew discover alongside the new reef?
3. Who is left behind?
4. What plants are discovered in the jungle?
5. How long is the weighted line used by the crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does the crew make contact? How is the contact made?
2. How is the crew rescued? Where are they taken and by who?
3. What is Heyerdahl's explanation of the reality of the hut versus the waves?
4. What type of food do the men eat on board? What are the options?
5. How do the natives honor the crew?
6. Naval experts warned the crew about certain sea life. What fish was the crew warned about and how did the crew aim to protect themselves from attack?
7. How did Easter Island get its name? What about the island changed at that time?
8. What causes the men to rethink the landing on the island?
9. What danger attacks two crew members? How do they escape?
10. What is Bengt's comment regarding the near collision and trip to the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Kon-Tiki ended up docking in the lagoon of a tiny, uninhabited island. While there were no people, there were certain artifacts found. What items are found on the island and what do they indicate? How did the crew respond to finding the items? Was there any way to tell when the artifacts may have been left there? If so, what? What did the crew do with the items?
Essay Topic 2
Heyerdahl discusses the arrival of Christian missionaries on Easter Island. When did the missionaries arrive and what was the purpose? What item was destroyed on Easter Island that may have detailed the region's history? What was the reason for the destruction? How might the item have changed how the world perceives Easter Island?
Essay Topic 3
Once the crew has been rescued from the island, they have conversations with the tribal chief and vice-chief. Thor attempts to explain the purpose for the voyage, which leads to a discussion. What topic is discussed by Thor and Teka? What is Teka's reaction to Thor's theory? Is there a conflict? If so, how is it resolved? What is the final relationship between the crew and the natives?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)