|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plants are discovered in the jungle?
2. What seemed out of place on the ocean?
3. How do the men scare away the small sharks?
4. What is a frigate?
5. Which crew member returns to the natives' island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hinders the Kon-Tiki from traveling to a second island?
2. There is one thing that turns out to be advantageous to a raft that would be dangerous to a boat. What is it? What is the advantage?
3. Where is the final destination? Who invites/receives the crew?
4. What item was destroyed on Easter Island that may have detailed the region's history? Who destroyed the item?
5. What danger attacks two crew members? How do they escape?
6. What items are found on the island and what do they indicate?
7. What is Heyerdahl's explanation of the reality of the hut versus the waves?
8. Where do the men nearly land? How do they determine the name?
9. What type of pet is adopted by the crew while out at sea? What does the pet eat?
10. What are the names given to the South Sea Islands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the ocean there is not much to do other than work, talk to one another, eat, and stare at the sea. How do the men keep occupied while out on the sea? Are there games or interaction with the sea creatures? If any conflict should arise during the course of the trip, how would it be handled? Who would make the decisions?
Essay Topic 2
There is at least one thing that Heyerdahl feels he has in common with the ancients. Explain in detail Heyerdahl's thoughts. What is the commonality? How does Heyerdahl arrive at the opinion? Does the rest of the crew agree or disagree? What is your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the weather in the South Seas had gone unreported, often leaving the crew in the dark as to what to expect. Why is this true? Why was it important for the crew to report the weather? To who was the weather reported? What became of the information? How might it benefit future sailors?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)