|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The crew has fun playing with what dangerous object?
2. Which of these is not damaged during the collision?
3. With what vessel does the crew go out for a spin?
4. What is another name for Easter Island?
5. What is floating in the ocean along with the crabs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the crew avoid hitting the Takume and Raroia reefs? What is the result?
2. What happens when the raft approaches Angatau?
3. How do the natives honor the crew?
4. What is Heyerdahl's explanation of the reality of the hut versus the waves?
5. What danger attacks two crew members? How do they escape?
6. What hinders the Kon-Tiki from traveling to a second island?
7. What type of food do the men eat on board? What are the options?
8. Naval experts warned the crew about certain sea life. What fish was the crew warned about and how did the crew aim to protect themselves from attack?
9. The crew entertains themselves by playing with what dangerous sea creatures? How do they play with them?
10. How do the men keep occupied while out on the sea? How are conflicts handled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
About the time the crew arrived at the tiny, uninhabited island, this comment was made: "'Purgatory was a bit damp,' said Bengt, 'but heaven is more or less as I'd imagined it.'" What did Bengt mean? To what was he comparing Purgatory and Heaven? Do you feel that the comparison was accurate? How might the other crew members felt about the comment?
Essay Topic 2
There is at least one thing that Heyerdahl feels he has in common with the ancients. Explain in detail Heyerdahl's thoughts. What is the commonality? How does Heyerdahl arrive at the opinion? Does the rest of the crew agree or disagree? What is your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
The Kon-Tiki ended up docking in the lagoon of a tiny, uninhabited island. While there were no people, there were certain artifacts found. What items are found on the island and what do they indicate? How did the crew respond to finding the items? Was there any way to tell when the artifacts may have been left there? If so, what? What did the crew do with the items?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)