|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which crew member returns to the natives' island?
2. In how many hours was the crew supposed to make contact?
3. What saves the raft from hitting the highest reef?
4. Which flag is not among those raised by the crew?
5. What item needs constant maintenance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topic is discussed by Thor and Teka? What is Teka's reaction to Thor's theory?
2. How do the men keep occupied while out on the sea? How are conflicts handled?
3. Where is the final destination? Who invites/receives the crew?
4. What is Heyerdahl's explanation of the reality of the hut versus the waves?
5. What hinders the Kon-Tiki from traveling to a second island?
6. The crew entertains themselves by playing with what dangerous sea creatures? How do they play with them?
7. With whom does the crew make contact? How is the contact made?
8. Naval experts warned the crew about certain sea life. What fish was the crew warned about and how did the crew aim to protect themselves from attack?
9. What are the names given to the South Sea Islands?
10. How does the crew avoid hitting the Takume and Raroia reefs? What is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the natives from the nearby island help the crew of the Kon-Tiki? How is the plan acted out? What is the reaction of the other natives? How do the natives welcome the crew? Was the reception appropriate? Were gifts offered? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There are several cases of foreshadowing used in the book. At least two involve the forthcoming incident of a man going overboard. Was the foreshadowing entirely correct? What actually happened? What was the outcome of the events? Who was involved in each event?
Essay Topic 3
Once the crew has been rescued from the island, they have conversations with the tribal chief and vice-chief. Thor attempts to explain the purpose for the voyage, which leads to a discussion. What topic is discussed by Thor and Teka? What is Teka's reaction to Thor's theory? Is there a conflict? If so, how is it resolved? What is the final relationship between the crew and the natives?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)