Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of wood does Heyerdahl believe the South Americans used to build their rafts?
2. Heyerdahl had previously worked on which group of islands?
3. If Heyerdahl makes the trip how long should it take?
4. What poisonous creatures battle in the bungalow?
5. What is Heyerdahl's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Heyerdahl and Watzinger procure the necessary items for their trip into the Andes?
2. It is easy to see how one can become confused, considering the chief gods have various names. What were the names of the chief gods mentioned in the story?
3. What is the purpose Heyerdahl presents his manuscript to Carl? What is Carl's authority?
4. What two things did the naval experts warn Heyerdahl about before the trip?
5. What/where is Quito? What warning is received in regards to it?
6. What happens when the raft approaches Angatau?
7. What type of food do the men eat on board? What are the options?
8. Under what circumstances does Heyerdahl meet Colonel Haskin? How does the meeting benefit Heyerdahl?
9. What items did the first European explorers discover on the Pacific Islands?
10. What was the first observation that led Heyerdahl to develop the theory about the Pacific Islands?
Before the Kon-Tiki set sail, many naval experts warned Heyerdahl and his crew about specific dangers out at sea. What do naval experts warn the crew about and does it come true? What did the naval experts get right? What was wrong about the opinions? Did the crew handle the disasters better or worse than expected?
The book details the end of the journey after the Kon-Tiki arrives at its destination. Detail the landing of the Kon-Tiki, its location, and how it was received. Who was on hand to welcome the crew ashore? Did the trip prove Heyerdahl's theory? Explain.
How do the natives from the nearby island help the crew of the Kon-Tiki? How is the plan acted out? What is the reaction of the other natives? How do the natives welcome the crew? Was the reception appropriate? Were gifts offered? Explain.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)