|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Heyerdahl's profession?
2. Which is NOT a fish seen from the raft?
3. How much does the massive amount of paperwork weigh?
4. Heyerdahl is a member of what New York City club?
5. Which accompanied the raft along the journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the trip to Guayaquil?
2. What/where is Quito? What warning is received in regards to it?
3. Why did Heyerdahl stop work on the hypothesis of the islands? Heyerdahl went into military service during World War II but resumed the work after the war was over.
4. Who is Wilhelm and why is his role important in the story?
5. What items did the first European explorers discover on the Pacific Islands?
6. How do Heyerdahl and Watzinger procure the necessary items for their trip into the Andes?
7. How many trees are felled by the men? Why are the trees named before they are cut down?
8. Why does the Kon-Tiki nearly make an unscheduled stop on the Galapagos Islands? Why is the landing aborted?
9. What occurs after Heyerdahl tries to establish a contact with an old military connection. Why does Heyerdahl make the contact?
10. What is the Peruvian President's interest in the expedition? Does the president help or hinder the expedition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a great deal said about the mysterious Easter Island. How did Easter Island get its name? What about the island changed at that time? Why is the region considered to be mysterious? Has any new information about the island been uncovered since the publishing of "Kon-Tiki?" If so, what? Does it cast a new light on the story?
Essay Topic 2
What was the first observation that led Heyerdahl to develop the theory about the Pacific Islands? Do you think that the author had significant information to develop such a theory? Who believed or disbelieved Heyerdahl's theory? How did those opinions affect the trip eventually undertaken by the Kon-Tiki?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities of Thor Heyerdahl and Peter Freuchen, the Danish Arctic explorer. Was one of the men correct? Were they opinions expressed by the men in direct conflict? Did either of them prove to be correct?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)