Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of wood does Heyerdahl believe the South Americans used to build their rafts?
2. Heyerdahl had previously worked on which group of islands?
3. If Heyerdahl makes the trip how long should it take?
4. What poisonous creatures battle in the bungalow?
5. What is Heyerdahl's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Heyerdahl and Watzinger procure the necessary items for their trip into the Andes?
2. It is easy to see how one can become confused, considering the chief gods have various names. What were the names of the chief gods mentioned in the story?
3. What is the purpose Heyerdahl presents his manuscript to Carl? What is Carl's authority?
4. What two things did the naval experts warn Heyerdahl about before the trip?
5. What/where is Quito? What warning is received in regards to it?
6. What happens when the raft approaches Angatau?
7. What type of food do the men eat on board? What are the options?
8. Under what circumstances does Heyerdahl meet Colonel Haskin? How does the meeting benefit Heyerdahl?
9. What items did the first European explorers discover on the Pacific Islands?
10. What was the first observation that led Heyerdahl to develop the theory about the Pacific Islands?
Essay Topic 1
There is at least one thing that Heyerdahl feels he has in common with the ancients. Explain in detail Heyerdahl's thoughts. What is the commonality? How does Heyerdahl arrive at the opinion? Does the rest of the crew agree or disagree? What is your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Heyerdahl discusses the arrival of Christian missionaries on Easter Island. When did the missionaries arrive and what was the purpose? What item was destroyed on Easter Island that may have detailed the region's history? What was the reason for the destruction? How might the item have changed how the world perceives Easter Island?
Essay Topic 3
Once the crew has been rescued from the island, they have conversations with the tribal chief and vice-chief. Thor attempts to explain the purpose for the voyage, which leads to a discussion. What topic is discussed by Thor and Teka? What is Teka's reaction to Thor's theory? Is there a conflict? If so, how is it resolved? What is the final relationship between the crew and the natives?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)