Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of wood does Heyerdahl believe the South Americans used to build their rafts?
2. Heyerdahl had previously worked on which group of islands?
3. If Heyerdahl makes the trip how long should it take?
4. What poisonous creatures battle in the bungalow?
5. What is Heyerdahl's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Heyerdahl and Watzinger procure the necessary items for their trip into the Andes?
2. It is easy to see how one can become confused, considering the chief gods have various names. What were the names of the chief gods mentioned in the story?
3. What is the purpose Heyerdahl presents his manuscript to Carl? What is Carl's authority?
4. What two things did the naval experts warn Heyerdahl about before the trip?
5. What/where is Quito? What warning is received in regards to it?
6. What happens when the raft approaches Angatau?
7. What type of food do the men eat on board? What are the options?
8. Under what circumstances does Heyerdahl meet Colonel Haskin? How does the meeting benefit Heyerdahl?
9. What items did the first European explorers discover on the Pacific Islands?
10. What was the first observation that led Heyerdahl to develop the theory about the Pacific Islands?
Essay Topic 1
There are several cases of foreshadowing used in the book. At least two involve the forthcoming incident of a man going overboard. Was the foreshadowing entirely correct? What actually happened? What was the outcome of the events? Who was involved in each event?
Essay Topic 2
Heyerdahl discusses the arrival of Christian missionaries on Easter Island. When did the missionaries arrive and what was the purpose? What item was destroyed on Easter Island that may have detailed the region's history? What was the reason for the destruction? How might the item have changed how the world perceives Easter Island?
Essay Topic 3
How do the natives from the nearby island help the crew of the Kon-Tiki? How is the plan acted out? What is the reaction of the other natives? How do the natives welcome the crew? Was the reception appropriate? Were gifts offered? Explain.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)