|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Heyerdahl on the trip?
2. What is the name of the chief god of the white men?
3. What is another name for the people of this region?
4. What is Heyerdahl's profession?
5. On which island does Heyerdahl land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what circumstances does Heyerdahl meet Colonel Haskin? How does the meeting benefit Heyerdahl?
2. Why was the translator of little use to Heyerdahl and Watzinger? What was the result?
3. How does Heyerdahl come to formulate the plan for the trip? What are the reactions of his friends and colleagues?
4. How many trees are felled by the men? Why are the trees named before they are cut down?
5. It is easy to see how one can become confused, considering the chief gods have various names. What were the names of the chief gods mentioned in the story?
6. Heyerdahl's financing falls through and the trip is in jeopardy. How is the trip saved?
7. What is the purpose Heyerdahl presents his manuscript to Carl? What is Carl's authority?
8. What is the Guardian Rios? What is its purpose?
9. Why was the translator of little use to Heyerdahl and Watzinger? What was the result?
10. While aboard the Kon-Tiki, one of the crew members suffers from an ailment. What is the ailment? Which crew member suffers? What is done to help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Before the Kon-Tiki set sail, many naval experts warned Heyerdahl and his crew about specific dangers out at sea. What do naval experts warn the crew about and does it come true? What did the naval experts get right? What was wrong about the opinions? Did the crew handle the disasters better or worse than expected?
Essay Topic 2
On the ocean there is not much to do other than work, talk to one another, eat, and stare at the sea. How do the men keep occupied while out on the sea? Are there games or interaction with the sea creatures? If any conflict should arise during the course of the trip, how would it be handled? Who would make the decisions?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the trip to Guayaquil? Was Guayaquil the appropriate spot for the mission? Describe the climate and general atmosphere of Guayaquil along with its location and overview of its culture. Explain the level of success of the mission and state the reasons for the opinion.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)