|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city does Heyerdahl choose to present his theory?
2. What month does the Kon-Tiki set out to sea?
3. Which is NOT a fish seen from the raft?
4. Heyerdahl is a member of what New York City club?
5. Who attempts to watch the craft in action?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what circumstances does Heyerdahl meet Colonel Haskin? How does the meeting benefit Heyerdahl?
2. Why does the Kon-Tiki nearly make an unscheduled stop on the Galapagos Islands? Why is the landing aborted?
3. What was the first observation that led Heyerdahl to develop the theory about the Pacific Islands?
4. Why does Heyerdahl go to the Norwegian's Sailor's Home? What does the author learn there?
5. Why was the translator of little use to Heyerdahl and Watzinger? What was the result?
6. Who is Wilhelm and why is his role important in the story?
7. What is the purpose of the trip to Guayaquil?
8. Why was the translator of little use to Heyerdahl and Watzinger? What was the result?
9. How do Heyerdahl and Watzinger procure the necessary items for their trip into the Andes?
10. Why do the crew members establish rotating shifts? How is the plan organized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the ocean there is not much to do other than work, talk to one another, eat, and stare at the sea. How do the men keep occupied while out on the sea? Are there games or interaction with the sea creatures? If any conflict should arise during the course of the trip, how would it be handled? Who would make the decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Before the Kon-Tiki set sail, many naval experts warned Heyerdahl and his crew about specific dangers out at sea. What do naval experts warn the crew about and does it come true? What did the naval experts get right? What was wrong about the opinions? Did the crew handle the disasters better or worse than expected?
Essay Topic 3
The crew is surprised when they are able to make radio contact with a ham radio operator in Los Angeles named Hal. Why was the crew surprised to make contact? How did Hal respond to the conversation? Did the crew members ever speak to Hal again? What information was exchanged?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)