|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the old man that tells the history of the region?
2. What kind of flowers are displayed by Federico?
3. Who is Peter Freuchen?
4. Which crew member is responsible for the act?
5. What poisonous creatures battle in the bungalow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Heyerdahl and Watzinger procure the necessary items for their trip into the Andes?
2. Why was the translator of little use to Heyerdahl and Watzinger? What was the result?
3. How does Heyerdahl come to formulate the plan for the trip? What are the reactions of his friends and colleagues?
4. Why does Heyerdahl go to the Norwegian's Sailor's Home? What does the author learn there?
5. What occurs after Heyerdahl tries to establish a contact with an old military connection. Why does Heyerdahl make the contact?
6. What other story from Peruvian history mirrors that of the natives of the Pacific Islands?
7. What two things did the naval experts warn Heyerdahl about before the trip?
8. How do Heyerdahl and Watzinger procure the necessary items for their trip into the Andes?
9. Why do the crew members establish rotating shifts? How is the plan organized?
10. What was the main similarity between the cultures that further convinced Heyerdahl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Kon-Tiki ended up docking in the lagoon of a tiny, uninhabited island. While there were no people, there were certain artifacts found. What items are found on the island and what do they indicate? How did the crew respond to finding the items? Was there any way to tell when the artifacts may have been left there? If so, what? What did the crew do with the items?
Essay Topic 2
About the time the crew arrived at the tiny, uninhabited island, this comment was made: "'Purgatory was a bit damp,' said Bengt, 'but heaven is more or less as I'd imagined it.'" What did Bengt mean? To what was he comparing Purgatory and Heaven? Do you feel that the comparison was accurate? How might the other crew members felt about the comment?
Essay Topic 3
How do the natives from the nearby island help the crew of the Kon-Tiki? How is the plan acted out? What is the reaction of the other natives? How do the natives welcome the crew? Was the reception appropriate? Were gifts offered? Explain.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)