|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crew attempt to do to at first avoid the reefs?
(a) Wait out the current
(b) Sail southward
(c) Harness the wind
(d) Sail northward
2. The chief asks if Thor has heard of what celebrity/celebrities?
(b) Bing Crosby
(c) Rat Pack
3. Which two occupants of the ocean have the crew been warned about?
(a) Whales and dolphins
(b) Sharks and Stingrays
(c) Squid and Jellyfish
(d) Octopus and Squid
4. The crew sees what sign that there is land ahead?
(c) Palm trees
(d) Smoke signals
5. Where is the Kon-Tiki's final destination?
(c) New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the natives' chief?
2. What is the mysterious feature that exists on Easter Island?
3. What are stationed atop of the statues at Easter Island?
4. The crew learns to use what as a navigation tool?
5. Which crew member falls overboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the names given to the South Sea Islands?
2. Where do the men nearly land? How do they determine the name?
3. How did Easter Island get its name? What about the island changed at that time?
4. What item was destroyed on Easter Island that may have detailed the region's history? Who destroyed the item?
5. Pilot fish are some of the fish that accompany the raft during the trip. How does Heyerdahl describe the pilot fish?
6. There is at least one thing that Heyerdahl feels he has in common with the ancients. What is it?
7. What is Bengt's comment regarding the near collision and trip to the island?
8. What hinders the Kon-Tiki from traveling to a second island?
9. Naval experts warned the crew about certain sea life. What fish was the crew warned about and how did the crew aim to protect themselves from attack?
10. How does the crew avoid hitting the Takume and Raroia reefs? What is the result?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)