|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT discovered on the island?
(b) Abandoned hut
(c) Poisonous eels
2. What is a frigate?
3. How is the boy cured?
(a) A shaman's remedy
(b) Advice from an American doctor
(c) Soaking in salt water
(d) Eating raw shark
4. The crew sees what sign that there is land ahead?
(a) Palm trees
(d) Smoke signals
5. What is another name for Easter Island?
(a) Great Rapa
(b) The Eye Looks (toward) Heaven
(c) Tiki Island
(d) Little Rapa
Short Answer Questions
1. What item needs constant maintenance?
2. What is the distance that the squid are able to travel when pursued?
3. How many storms are faced by the crew at this time?
4. Which sea creature becomes a pet aboard the Kon-Tiki?
5. To what year does Heyerdahl refer in conjunction with time?
Short Essay Questions
1. There is one thing that turns out to be advantageous to a raft that would be dangerous to a boat. What is it? What is the advantage?
2. What evidence is there of the stone work on Easter Island? How did it change?
3. What are the names given to the South Sea Islands?
4. What is Bengt's comment regarding the near collision and trip to the island?
5. Why do the crew members take the dinghy into the water? What is their reaction?
6. What is Heyerdahl's explanation of the reality of the hut versus the waves?
7. Pilot fish are some of the fish that accompany the raft during the trip. How does Heyerdahl describe the pilot fish?
8. Heyerdahl thinks about how the ancients might have gathered or transported water. What were his conclusions?
9. How did Easter Island get its name? What about the island changed at that time?
10. What causes the men to rethink the landing on the island?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)