|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the unique item that is included on the prehistoric Incan rafts?
(a) Dynamic sail
(b) Double oars
2. What Lake is mentioned in regard to the story?
(a) Lake Panam
(b) Lake Huron
(c) Lake Victoria
(d) Lake Titicaca
3. What idea begins to develop in Heyerdahl's imagination?
(a) Taking a long vacation
(b) Living among a native tribe
(c) Sailing across the Pacific
(d) Writing a book
4. Who arranges to find the first tree?
5. At the point of being guided toward that location, how long had the Kon-Tiki been at sea?
(a) One month
(b) One week
(c) 12 days
(d) 16 days
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of flowers are displayed by Federico?
2. Where does Heyerdahl get a room?
3. What is Otto Munthe-Kaas' title?
4. What is the average speed of the Kon-Tiki?
5. What is Heyerdahl's native country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other story from Peruvian history mirrors that of the natives of the Pacific Islands?
2. What is Peter Freuchen's opinion on the updated expedition equipment? Explain.
3. What is the purpose of the trip to Guayaquil?
4. What two things did the naval experts warn Heyerdahl about before the trip?
5. Why does Heyerdahl go to the Norwegian's Sailor's Home? What does the author learn there?
6. While aboard the Kon-Tiki, one of the crew members suffers from an ailment. What is the ailment? Which crew member suffers? What is done to help?
7. What unusual fish is observed from the raft? What becomes of the fish?
8. Why was the translator of little use to Heyerdahl and Watzinger? What was the result?
9. Who is Wilhelm and why is his role important in the story?
10. How do the Polynesians record the history of their people?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)