|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which island does Heyerdahl land?
2. If Heyerdahl makes the trip how long should it take?
(a) 112 days
(b) 97 days
(c) 103 days
(d) 80 days
3. What ancient culture's story convinces Heyerdahl of the connection?
4. What is the average speed of the Kon-Tiki?
(a) 35-40 miles per day
(b) 65-70 miles per day
(c) 55-60 miles per day
(d) 75-80 miles per day
5. The naval experts were wrong about the longevity of what item?
(d) Food supply
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea begins to develop in Heyerdahl's imagination?
2. How long is a whale shark?
3. Where does Heyerdahl get a room?
4. Which is NOT among the planned stops for Heyerdahl?
5. With whom does Heyerdahl meet in Lima?
Short Essay Questions
1. What items did the first European explorers discover on the Pacific Islands?
2. How do Heyerdahl and Watzinger procure the necessary items for their trip into the Andes?
3. What was the first observation that led Heyerdahl to develop the theory about the Pacific Islands?
4. How does Heyerdahl come to formulate the plan for the trip? What are the reactions of his friends and colleagues?
5. Why does Heyerdahl go to the Norwegian's Sailor's Home? What does the author learn there?
6. What topic is discussed by Thor and Teka? What is Teka's reaction to Thor's theory?
7. Pilot fish are some of the fish that accompany the raft during the trip. How does Heyerdahl describe the pilot fish?
8. How do the Polynesians record the history of their people?
9. What two things did the naval experts warn Heyerdahl about before the trip?
10. There is at least one thing that Heyerdahl feels he has in common with the ancients. What is it?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)