|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was considered to be the original, a founder of the inhabitants on the Pacific Islands?
(a) Cari Tiki
(b) Sun Tiki
(c) Rikki Tiki
(d) Ilda Tiki
2. What is the estimated date on which people first arrived on the islands?
(a) 1100 A.D.
(b) 100 A.D.
(c) 500 A.D.
(d) 200 B.C.
3. Which accompanied the raft along the journey?
(b) Whale shark
(d) Pilot fish
4. Who accompanies Heyerdahl on the trip?
5. From which country was the chief god expelled?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arranges to find the first tree?
2. Where is the naval station located?
3. Heyerdahl compares being at sea to which activity?
4. What is Bengt's profession?
5. Who accompanied Heyerdahl on the expedition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other story from Peruvian history mirrors that of the natives of the Pacific Islands?
2. What items did the first European explorers discover on the Pacific Islands?
3. How many trees are felled by the men? Why are the trees named before they are cut down?
4. How does Heyerdahl come to formulate the plan for the trip? What are the reactions of his friends and colleagues?
5. Why was the translator of little use to Heyerdahl and Watzinger? What was the result?
6. What occurs after Heyerdahl tries to establish a contact with an old military connection. Why does Heyerdahl make the contact?
7. Why does the Kon-Tiki nearly make an unscheduled stop on the Galapagos Islands? Why is the landing aborted?
8. What was the main similarity between the cultures that further convinced Heyerdahl?
9. What unusual fish is observed from the raft? What becomes of the fish?
10. Herman is given a pet before the Kon-Tiki sets sail. What is the pet and what happens to it?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)