|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What blocks the men's path into the jungle?
(c) Fallen log
(d) Jungle cat
2. What breaks at the beginning of the trip?
(a) Herman's leg
(b) Tug lines
3. Heyerdahl went on an expedition to which island?
(c) Fatu Hiva
(d) Prince Edward Island
4. What is Heyerdahl's profession?
5. Which is NOT among the planned stops for Heyerdahl?
(a) South America
(d) Galapagos Islands
Short Answer Questions
1. By whom were the white men massacred?
2. Herman suffers an injury to what body part?
3. Heyerdahl compares being at sea to which activity?
4. How heavy is a whale shark?
5. Where is the naval station located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the crew members establish rotating shifts? How is the plan organized?
2. What is the purpose of the trip to Guayaquil?
3. Under what circumstances does Heyerdahl meet Colonel Haskin? How does the meeting benefit Heyerdahl?
4. What/where is Quito? What warning is received in regards to it?
5. How do the Polynesians record the history of their people?
6. Why did Heyerdahl stop work on the hypothesis of the islands? Heyerdahl went into military service during World War II but resumed the work after the war was over.
7. What is the purpose Heyerdahl presents his manuscript to Carl? What is Carl's authority?
8. Why was the translator of little use to Heyerdahl and Watzinger? What was the result?
9. How many trees are felled by the men? Why are the trees named before they are cut down?
10. Who is Wilhelm and why is his role important in the story?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)