|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What blocks the men's path into the jungle?
(b) Fallen log
(c) Jungle cat
2. Heyerdahl receives a letter from whom?
(b) His wife
(c) His mother
(d) Colonel Haskin
3. Heyerdahl's theory revolves around what region?
(c) Canary Islands
(d) Pacific Islands
4. Heyerdahl had previously worked on which group of islands?
(a) Marianna Islands
(b) Canary Islands
(c) Marquesas Islands
(d) U.S. Virgin Islands
5. How much does the massive amount of paperwork weigh?
(a) 12 pounds
(b) 15 pounds
(c) 26 pounds
(d) 34 pounds
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are the nearly invisible visitors?
2. What is the common tradition of the people of this region?
3. Which is NOT a danger the men face on the trip?
4. Who was considered to be the original, a founder of the inhabitants on the Pacific Islands?
5. Heyerdahl is a member of what New York City club?
Short Essay Questions
1. What/where is Quito? What warning is received in regards to it?
2. What occurs after Heyerdahl tries to establish a contact with an old military connection. Why does Heyerdahl make the contact?
3. What is the purpose Heyerdahl presents his manuscript to Carl? What is Carl's authority?
4. Why did Heyerdahl stop work on the hypothesis of the islands? Heyerdahl went into military service during World War II but resumed the work after the war was over.
5. What unusual fish is observed from the raft? What becomes of the fish?
6. It is easy to see how one can become confused, considering the chief gods have various names. What were the names of the chief gods mentioned in the story?
7. Why was the translator of little use to Heyerdahl and Watzinger? What was the result?
8. How do Heyerdahl and Watzinger procure the necessary items for their trip into the Andes?
9. While aboard the Kon-Tiki, one of the crew members suffers from an ailment. What is the ailment? Which crew member suffers? What is done to help?
10. Herman is given a pet before the Kon-Tiki sets sail. What is the pet and what happens to it?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)