|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was being performed in the camp in "Esperanto"?
2. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
3. How long had the bodies been in the mass grave? ("Land-Lease.")
4. Who, upon growing up, "created many bright birds"? ("A Child's Drawing.")
5. Why had the lawyers in "The Lawyers' Plot" been taken to the House of Vaskov?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot," what were the three ways out of the mine?
2. Why was the narrator afraid to get off of the train at any station other than the Moscow station? ("The Train.")
3. What "magical powers" did Stukov have? ("Magic")
4. Why was Stukov contemptuous and delighted by the shifty-eyed man's admittance about his being an informant? ("Magic")
5. What game did the lieutenant and the narrator play during "The Train"?
6. Where did the narrator hide his money during his train ride? ("The Train.")
7. Why were the convicts unable to eat the horse meat in "Esperanto"?
8. Why did Gusev break the window in the basement of the former monastery? ("My First Tooth.")
9. Why was Golubev called to Stukov's home in "Magic"?
10. Why was Sazonov directed to the poorer hut in "My First Tooth"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based off of the text as a whole, describe the kind of life that a man in the Kloyma forced-labor camps lived. What did their days consist of? What were their fears? What was expected of them? How were they treated?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of survival was important in the text. Discuss the different aspects of survival as depicted throughout the text. What were the different aspects of survival? What did it mean to survive? Why were there different understandings of this term?
Essay Topic 3
The ability to stay warm, for many, was the single line between life and death. Discuss at least three different examples that showed what men in Kolyma would do to get warm.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)