|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had the lawyers in "The Lawyers' Plot" been taken to the House of Vaskov?
2. What equipment arrived from America and, therefore, convicts learned a new word?
3. How much oatmeal did the convicts receive in their portions? ("Land-Lease")
4. What was the name of the guard with the bright-blue eyes in "My First Tooth"?
5. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at the end of "Esperanto" to the narrator"?
2. What was the narrator shocked by about the blade of the bulldozer? ("Land-Lease.")
3. Why did Golubev watch Stukov's "game" with pleasure? ("Magic.")
4. Why were the convicts unable to eat the horse meat in "Esperanto"?
5. What "magical powers" did Stukov have? ("Magic")
6. What happened to the Spam that was sent to the camps from America? ("Land-Lease.")
7. Why did Praga, in "Esperanto," hack his clothing to rags?
8. Why did the narrator in "My First Tooth" state that it was easier to bear something after you write it down? ("My First Tooth.")
9. Why did the narrator decide that he had not been lucky in getting called to Romanov's home? ("The Lawyer's Plot.")
10. Why was the new chief of political control at the hospital? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator in "My First Tooth" stated that "even if you can't get something published, it's easier to bear a thing if you write it down. Once you've done that, you can forget." Do you agree with the narrator's statement? Why?/Why not? What is healing about writing something down? How may it help?
Essay Topic 2
The harshness of work in the camps was described through the severe actions that convicts would go to to avoid it. Describe three examples where convicts sacrificed themselves, in one way or another, to avoid work in the camps.
Essay Topic 3
Objects from the civilian world held great value for the men of Kolyma. Discuss three objects from the civilized world, what was done to keep the object in the possession of the owner, why the owner lost the possession, and how the owner felt about their possession.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)