Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
2. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
3. What provided unexpected joy for the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
4. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
5. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
Essay Topic 1
In "Prosthetic Appliances," the narrator described the dehumanizing actions that guards put laborers through. Men were required to give up even their most intimate needs. Discuss how some men in Kolyma refused to give up what meant the most to them and what happened because of this refusal.
Essay Topic 2
Given the dehumanizing circumstances that the narrator relayed throughout the text, many instances of true humanity shone through. Discuss three examples where humanity won out over animalistic behavior in the text.
Essay Topic 3
The author learned many different things during his time spent in Kolyma. Choose two different lessons that the author learned and discuss why these were important. What was the lesson? How was the lesson learned? How did this affect the life of the author after the experience?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)