|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
2. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
3. What provided unexpected joy for the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
4. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
5. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the men in the forced-labor camps of Kolyma changed during their stay. Choose of of the people described in the text and discuss how they changed because of their stay at Kolyma.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator in "My First Tooth" stated that "even if you can't get something published, it's easier to bear a thing if you write it down. Once you've done that, you can forget." Do you agree with the narrator's statement? Why?/Why not? What is healing about writing something down? How may it help?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the convicts in the text found truth in the saying "Desperate times bring about desperate measures." Discuss three different examples within the text that proved this statement to be true.
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)