|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the window in the basement broken? ("My First Tooth.")
2. What did the narrator call "precious things" in "Esperanto"?
3. Before 1938, according to "Land-Lease," what was used to move logs?
4. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
5. What did the narrator recall had been confiscated in Magadan? ("Esperanto.")
Essay Topic 1
In "A Piece of Meat," the narrator stated that "the rudimentary organ turned out not to be rudimentary at all, but essential, functioning, life-saving." Find, and discuss, three examples where a rudimentary object turned out to be "essential, functioning and life-saving."
Essay Topic 2
The narrator in "My First Tooth" stated that "even if you can't get something published, it's easier to bear a thing if you write it down. Once you've done that, you can forget." Do you agree with the narrator's statement? Why?/Why not? What is healing about writing something down? How may it help?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of survival was important in the text. Discuss the different aspects of survival as depicted throughout the text. What were the different aspects of survival? What did it mean to survive? Why were there different understandings of this term?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)