|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had the narrator written complaints about? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
2. What did Nikishov claim was different about Kolyma? ("Chief of Political Control.")
3. What was Romanov's real occupation? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
4. How much oatmeal did the convicts receive in their portions? ("Land-Lease")
5. How many years of his life was the narrator ready to forget? ("The Train.")
Essay Topic 1
The ability to stay warm, for many, was the single line between life and death. Discuss at least three different examples that showed what men in Kolyma would do to get warm.
Essay Topic 2
What impact does the fact that the text is written in first-person have on you as a reader? Why is a first-person narration important in these types of histories? What would be lost if the stories were complied as third-person narratives?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of survival was important in the text. Discuss the different aspects of survival as depicted throughout the text. What were the different aspects of survival? What did it mean to survive? Why were there different understandings of this term?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)