|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years of his life was the narrator ready to forget? ("The Train.")
2. What was Romanov's real occupation? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
3. In 1939, what quarantine had the narrator and five others endured? ("Esperanto.")
4. What had the narrator written complaints about? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
5. What occupation did Golubev's boss ask if any of the new prisoners had held? ("Magic.")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Prosthetic Appliances," the narrator described the dehumanizing actions that guards put laborers through. Men were required to give up even their most intimate needs. Discuss how some men in Kolyma refused to give up what meant the most to them and what happened because of this refusal.
Essay Topic 2
As detailed by the text, men were moved constantly and consistently in and out of different work houses. This change set up for many of the men to find themselves separated from human companionship. In what ways did the text show the breakdown of relationships based upon the experiences in Kolyma?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the impact that the text had on you. Did you feel as though the text was a stretch of the truth? Did you feel as though the information given by the author was truthful and realistic? Support your focus with textual evidence.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)