|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On a how many day march were the men in "My First Tooth" on?
2. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
3. What did the narrator say was mixed into the bread that made it "magnificent"? ("Land-Lease.")
4. What provided unexpected joy for the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
5. Once on the train, who did the narrator find in his seat? ("The Train.")
Essay Topic 1
The author learned many different things during his time spent in Kolyma. Choose two different lessons that the author learned and discuss why these were important. What was the lesson? How was the lesson learned? How did this affect the life of the author after the experience?
Essay Topic 2
In "Prosthetic Appliances," the narrator described the dehumanizing actions that guards put laborers through. Men were required to give up even their most intimate needs. Discuss how some men in Kolyma refused to give up what meant the most to them and what happened because of this refusal.
Essay Topic 3
Objects from the civilian world held great value for the men of Kolyma. Discuss three objects from the civilized world, what was done to keep the object in the possession of the owner, why the owner lost the possession, and how the owner felt about their possession.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)