|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator in "My First Tooth," why is writing something down the best thing to do?
2. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
3. What did the orderly tell the narrator to bring back from Romanov's home? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
4. What sun had burned the men's faces in "My First Tooth"?
5. What was being yelled as Peter Zayats was thrown out of the shelter and into the snow? ("My First Tooth.")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the convicts in the text found truth in the saying "Desperate times bring about desperate measures." Discuss three different examples within the text that proved this statement to be true.
Essay Topic 2
Given the dehumanizing circumstances that the narrator relayed throughout the text, many instances of true humanity shone through. Discuss three examples where humanity won out over animalistic behavior in the text.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator in "My First Tooth" stated that "even if you can't get something published, it's easier to bear a thing if you write it down. Once you've done that, you can forget." Do you agree with the narrator's statement? Why?/Why not? What is healing about writing something down? How may it help?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)