|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator call "precious things" in "Esperanto"?
2. What provided unexpected joy for the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
3. What day was it during "Chief of Political Control"?
4. How much oatmeal did the convicts receive in their portions? ("Land-Lease")
5. Stories of what bridge made Golubev's boss ecstatic? ("Magic.")
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the new chief of political control at the hospital? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
2. Where did the narrator hide his money during his train ride? ("The Train.")
3. According to the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot," what were the three ways out of the mine?
4. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
5. Why did Gusev break the window in the basement of the former monastery? ("My First Tooth.")
6. Why did Praga, in "Esperanto," hack his clothing to rags?
7. What about the Senior Supervisor-Ministry of Internal Affairs' name impressed the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
8. What bliss did the narrator find while in Irkutsk? ("The Train.")
9. What did the bulldozer, in "Land-Lease," come to be used for?
10. What "magical powers" did Stukov have? ("Magic")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator in "My First Tooth" stated that "even if you can't get something published, it's easier to bear a thing if you write it down. Once you've done that, you can forget." Do you agree with the narrator's statement? Why?/Why not? What is healing about writing something down? How may it help?
Essay Topic 2
In "Quiet," an particular irony was set up. One of the camp administrators believed that "a man will eat and in gratitude work better for the state." In what circumstances did this statement prove to be false? In what circumstances did this statement prove to be true? What was the determining factor in the truth behind the statement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the impact that the text had on you. Did you feel as though the text was a stretch of the truth? Did you feel as though the information given by the author was truthful and realistic? Support your focus with textual evidence.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)