Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
2. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
3. What provided unexpected joy for the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
4. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
5. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
Essay Topic 1
In "Quiet," an particular irony was set up. One of the camp administrators believed that "a man will eat and in gratitude work better for the state." In what circumstances did this statement prove to be false? In what circumstances did this statement prove to be true? What was the determining factor in the truth behind the statement?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator in "My First Tooth" stated that "even if you can't get something published, it's easier to bear a thing if you write it down. Once you've done that, you can forget." Do you agree with the narrator's statement? Why?/Why not? What is healing about writing something down? How may it help?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the men in the forced-labor camps of Kolyma changed during their stay. Choose of of the people described in the text and discuss how they changed because of their stay at Kolyma.
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)