|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the chief, in "Chief of Political Control," refuse in place of doing business first?
2. Why had the lawyers in "The Lawyers' Plot" been taken to the House of Vaskov?
3. In "My First Tooth," what was written in coal on the walls of the basement?
4. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
5. What fresh prints were described at the opening of "Land Lease"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Stukov contemptuous and delighted by the shifty-eyed man's admittance about his being an informant? ("Magic")
2. Why was the narrator afraid to get off of the train at any station other than the Moscow station? ("The Train.")
3. Why was Sazonov directed to the poorer hut in "My First Tooth"?
4. According to the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot," what were the three ways out of the mine?
5. What did Shestakov offer the narrator as nourishment to aid in an upcoming escape attempt? ("Condensed Milk.")
6. How did the narrator come to remember the story "Esperanto"?
7. How did the narrator describe Romanov in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
8. What did convicts receive as payment for keeping their mouths shut about guards beating them? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
9. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
10. What about the Senior Supervisor-Ministry of Internal Affairs' name impressed the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Objects from the civilian world held great value for the men of Kolyma. Discuss three objects from the civilized world, what was done to keep the object in the possession of the owner, why the owner lost the possession, and how the owner felt about their possession.
Essay Topic 2
The ability to stay warm, for many, was the single line between life and death. Discuss at least three different examples that showed what men in Kolyma would do to get warm.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of survival was important in the text. Discuss the different aspects of survival as depicted throughout the text. What were the different aspects of survival? What did it mean to survive? Why were there different understandings of this term?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)