|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of the barrenness of the winter, as described in "A Pushover Job," how far could a person be seen from?
2. What did Glebov want at the end of "In the Night"?
3. What did Andrei Platonov do prior to being in the camps?
4. In "Prosthetic Appliances," what would a guard mark a cell with if the cell was not to receive bread?
5. What kind of bird did the narrator say was unafraid of people and could be shot easily? ("Sententious.")
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans did Bagretsov have for the underwear that he took off of the corpse?
2. What did the extra food give the sectarian the energy to do in "Quiet"?
3. How did the story "Sententious" end?
4. Why did the narrator state that love was the hardest emotion to return to convicts? ("Sententious.")
5. How did Platonov, in "The Snake Charmer," die?
6. What notations did the guards, described in "Prosthetic Appliances", use to show that a convict would not receive hot food and/or bread?
7. Why did the convicts that had been in the camps take their bread back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle")
8. In "Sententious," who did the narrator say that he envied?
9. What did Savelev do after finding Ivanovich hung himself?
10. What decision did the men in "Dry Rations" make regarding their food?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based off of the text as a whole, describe the kind of life that a man in the Kloyma forced-labor camps lived. What did their days consist of? What were their fears? What was expected of them? How were they treated?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator in "My First Tooth" stated that "even if you can't get something published, it's easier to bear a thing if you write it down. Once you've done that, you can forget." Do you agree with the narrator's statement? Why?/Why not? What is healing about writing something down? How may it help?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the convicts in the text found truth in the saying "Desperate times bring about desperate measures." Discuss three different examples within the text that proved this statement to be true.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)