Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator compare the hills to in "A Pushover Job"?
2. What did the sectarian need his extra portion of food to do? ("Quiet.")
3. What did the narrator say that he refused to listen to? ("Sententious.")
4. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
5. What had Merzlakov received for breakfast on the morning that he compared humans to livestock?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the convicts that had been in the camps take their bread back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle")
2. Why did Gusev break the window in the basement of the former monastery? ("My First Tooth.")
3. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
4. What happened at the end of "Esperanto" to the narrator"?
5. What question did the new arrivals ask of the old convicts in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
6. What hypothesis was tested in the story "Quiet"?
7. What did Fleming say was the "greatest secret of our time"? (The Used-Book Dealer.")
8. Why did Praga, in "Esperanto," hack his clothing to rags?
9. Where did the narrator hide his money during his train ride? ("The Train.")
10. Why did the narrator decide that he had not been lucky in getting called to Romanov's home? ("The Lawyer's Plot.")
Essay Topic 1
What impact does the fact that the text is written in first-person have on you as a reader? Why is a first-person narration important in these types of histories? What would be lost if the stories were complied as third-person narratives?
Essay Topic 2
Magic seemed to be the only way that some men made it out of the camps of Kolyma alive. Discuss three examples throughout the text where "magic" seemed to be responsible for survival. (Think of how "magic" was depicted in the story "Magic" to help answer this question.)
Essay Topic 3
Describe the impact that the text had on you. Did you feel as though the text was a stretch of the truth? Did you feel as though the information given by the author was truthful and realistic? Support your focus with textual evidence.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)