|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who shoved the narrator up against a window in the basement? ("My First Tooth.")
2. What book set did the narrator plan on buying once he reached Moscow? ("The Train.")
(a) "The Complete Works of Walt Whitman."
(b) "The Complete Works of Shakespeare."
(c) "History of WWI."
(d) "History of Russia."
3. When the name "Skoroseev" was mentioned to the narrator, what did he immediately recall? ("Esperanto.")
(a) The road to Moscow.
(b) The road to Lennigrad.
(c) The road to Siberia.
(d) The road to Tibet.
4. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
(a) Knit underwear.
(b) Cotton underwear.
(c) Linen underwear.
(d) Silk underwear.
5. In "Magic," what object was tapping on the window?
(a) A bird.
(b) A cat.
(c) A stick.
(d) A tree branch.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "Esperanto," what did Skoroseev ask of the narrator after he had spent the night in his (Skoroseev's) home?
2. What sun had burned the men's faces in "My First Tooth"?
3. How long had the bodies been in the mass grave? ("Land-Lease.")
4. Before 1938, according to "Land-Lease," what was used to move logs?
5. What was being yelled as Peter Zayats was thrown out of the shelter and into the snow? ("My First Tooth.")
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
2. Why did Praga, in "Esperanto," hack his clothing to rags?
3. Why was the narrator afraid to get off of the train at any station other than the Moscow station? ("The Train.")
4. What did convicts receive as payment for keeping their mouths shut about guards beating them? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
5. How did the narrator come to remember the story "Esperanto"?
6. Why was Sazonov directed to the poorer hut in "My First Tooth"?
7. Why did the narrator in "My First Tooth" state that it was easier to bear something after you write it down? ("My First Tooth.")
8. How did the narrator describe Romanov in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
9. What did Shestakov offer the narrator as nourishment to aid in an upcoming escape attempt? ("Condensed Milk.")
10. What did the bulldozer, in "Land-Lease," come to be used for?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)