|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fresh prints were described at the opening of "Land Lease"?
(a) Animal prints.
(b) Tractor prints.
(c) Plow prints.
(d) Human footprints.
2. Why was Peter Zayats beaten by the guards in "My First Tooth"?
(a) For spitting on a guard.
(b) For being sick.
(c) Refusal to stand for roll-call.
(d) For taking extra food.
3. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
(a) The train whistle.
(b) Russian music.
(c) Soft voices.
4. At the end of "The Train," where did the narrator state that he was returning from?
5. According to "The Lawyers' Plot", what does "smertin" mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were contained in the "magical jars" in the story "Land-Lease"?
2. What did the narrator state was worse than criminals who robbed him? ("Esperanto.")
3. What was being performed in the camp in "Esperanto"?
4. What were "unfortunate ones" made to think that machine grease was? ("Land-Lease.")
5. In 1939, what quarantine had the narrator and five others endured? ("Esperanto.")
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shestakov offer the narrator as nourishment to aid in an upcoming escape attempt? ("Condensed Milk.")
2. What did convicts receive as payment for keeping their mouths shut about guards beating them? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
3. What happened at the end of "Esperanto" to the narrator"?
4. Why was the narrator afraid to get off of the train at any station other than the Moscow station? ("The Train.")
5. How did the narrator describe Romanov in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
6. Why was Golubev called to Stukov's home in "Magic"?
7. Why were the convicts unable to eat the horse meat in "Esperanto"?
8. Where did the narrator hide his money during his train ride? ("The Train.")
9. Why did Gusev break the window in the basement of the former monastery? ("My First Tooth.")
10. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)