|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Praga, in "Esperanto," do to his clothing?
(a) Traded it for tobacco.
(b) Burned it.
(c) Traded it for extra soup.
(d) Tore it into rags.
2. From where did the new group of prisoners come from? ("Magic.")
(c) St. Petersburg.
3. What had the narrator written complaints about? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) Bread rations.
(b) Guard beatings.
(c) Weather work conditions.
(d) Bunk conditions.
4. At the end of "Esperanto," what did Skoroseev ask of the narrator after he had spent the night in his (Skoroseev's) home?
(a) Payment for the night.
(b) A meal.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A smoke.
5. In 1939, what quarantine had the narrator and five others endured? ("Esperanto.")
(d) The plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
2. On a how many day march were the men in "My First Tooth" on?
3. What did the narrator state was worse than criminals who robbed him? ("Esperanto.")
4. Before 1938, according to "Land-Lease," what was used to move logs?
5. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the convicts unable to eat the horse meat in "Esperanto"?
2. What bliss did the narrator find while in Irkutsk? ("The Train.")
3. Why was Stukov contemptuous and delighted by the shifty-eyed man's admittance about his being an informant? ("Magic")
4. According to the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot," what were the three ways out of the mine?
5. Why was the new chief of political control at the hospital? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
6. What about the Senior Supervisor-Ministry of Internal Affairs' name impressed the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
7. Why did the narrator decide that he had not been lucky in getting called to Romanov's home? ("The Lawyer's Plot.")
8. Why did Gusev break the window in the basement of the former monastery? ("My First Tooth.")
9. What did the bulldozer, in "Land-Lease," come to be used for?
10. In "A Child's Drawing," why did the convicts stand in groups of five when guards were dividing out work assignments?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)