|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book set did the narrator plan on buying once he reached Moscow? ("The Train.")
(a) "The Complete Works of Walt Whitman."
(b) "History of Russia."
(c) "History of WWI."
(d) "The Complete Works of Shakespeare."
2. What was being performed in the camp in "Esperanto"?
(c) "A Fig Branch."
(d) "The Tempest."
3. In "Magic," what object was tapping on the window?
(a) A tree branch.
(b) A stick.
(c) A cat.
(d) A bird.
4. What kind of injection did the chief in "Chief of Political Control" need?
(b) Blood thickener.
5. What did Nikishov claim was different about Kolyma? ("Chief of Political Control.")
(a) Its power.
(b) Its strength.
(c) Its morality.
(d) Its prisoners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
2. What color armbands did the military patrol wear at the train station? ("The Train.")
3. What was Romanov's real occupation? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
4. To what director was "The Injector" written to?
5. What was being yelled as Peter Zayats was thrown out of the shelter and into the snow? ("My First Tooth.")
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shestakov offer the narrator as nourishment to aid in an upcoming escape attempt? ("Condensed Milk.")
2. What about the Senior Supervisor-Ministry of Internal Affairs' name impressed the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
3. Why was Sazonov directed to the poorer hut in "My First Tooth"?
4. What was the narrator shocked by about the blade of the bulldozer? ("Land-Lease.")
5. Why was the narrator afraid to get off of the train at any station other than the Moscow station? ("The Train.")
6. What bliss did the narrator find while in Irkutsk? ("The Train.")
7. What "magical powers" did Stukov have? ("Magic")
8. Where did the narrator hide his money during his train ride? ("The Train.")
9. According to the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot," what were the three ways out of the mine?
10. In "A Child's Drawing," why did the convicts stand in groups of five when guards were dividing out work assignments?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)