|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the convicts spend the night in "My First Tooth"?
(a) A bathhouse.
(b) A cave.
(c) A barracks.
(d) A police station.
2. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
3. What did Nikishov claim was different about Kolyma? ("Chief of Political Control.")
(a) Its power.
(b) Its strength.
(c) Its morality.
(d) Its prisoners.
4. What, in "Land-Lease," was nicknamed "American honey"?
(c) Condensed milk.
5. On a how many day march were the men in "My First Tooth" on?
(a) 10 day.
(b) 14 day.
(c) 9 day.
(d) 5 day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Romanov's real occupation? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
2. What was told, at the end of "The Lawyers' Plot", had happened to Rebrov?
3. What position was Skoroseev given in "Esperanto."?
4. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
5. In "My First Tooth," what was written in coal on the walls of the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot," what were the three ways out of the mine?
2. Why was Stukov contemptuous and delighted by the shifty-eyed man's admittance about his being an informant? ("Magic")
3. What happened at the end of "Esperanto" to the narrator"?
4. What did convicts receive as payment for keeping their mouths shut about guards beating them? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
5. What was written on the cell ceiling of the monastery basement? ("My First Tooth.")
6. Why did Praga, in "Esperanto," hack his clothing to rags?
7. Why were the convicts unable to eat the horse meat in "Esperanto"?
8. What was the narrator shocked by about the blade of the bulldozer? ("Land-Lease.")
9. Why was the narrator afraid to get off of the train at any station other than the Moscow station? ("The Train.")
10. Where did the narrator hide his money during his train ride? ("The Train.")
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)