|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
(a) The train whistle.
(b) Russian music.
(d) Soft voices.
2. What were contained in the "magical jars" in the story "Land-Lease"?
(d) Vienna Sausages.
3. What was being yelled as Peter Zayats was thrown out of the shelter and into the snow? ("My First Tooth.")
4. Who reminded the narrator of "Esperanto"?
(a) An escaping convict.
(b) A guard.
(c) A dying convict.
(d) A wandering actor.
5. What was the name of Golubev's boss in "Magic"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many mechanics were allowed to be retained in "Magic"?
2. What was being performed in the camp in "Esperanto"?
3. What was raked into Shemolyov's work gang? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
4. What train station was the location of "The Train" ?
5. What was the hospital director doing with the doctors at the opening of "Chief of Political Control"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was written on the cell ceiling of the monastery basement? ("My First Tooth.")
2. Why did Gusev break the window in the basement of the former monastery? ("My First Tooth.")
3. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
4. Why did the narrator decide that he had not been lucky in getting called to Romanov's home? ("The Lawyer's Plot.")
5. What was the narrator shocked by about the blade of the bulldozer? ("Land-Lease.")
6. What did convicts receive as payment for keeping their mouths shut about guards beating them? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
7. Why was the new chief of political control at the hospital? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
8. According to the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot," what were the three ways out of the mine?
9. Why was the narrator afraid to get off of the train at any station other than the Moscow station? ("The Train.")
10. In "A Child's Drawing," why did the convicts stand in groups of five when guards were dividing out work assignments?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)