|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Praga, in "Esperanto," do to his clothing?
(a) Burned it.
(b) Tore it into rags.
(c) Traded it for extra soup.
(d) Traded it for tobacco.
2. What did Nikishov claim was different about Kolyma? ("Chief of Political Control.")
(a) Its prisoners.
(b) Its morality.
(c) Its strength.
(d) Its power.
3. What was the name of Golubev's boss in "Magic"?
4. What occupation did Golubev's boss ask if any of the new prisoners had held? ("Magic.")
(a) Secret police.
5. Once on the train, who did the narrator find in his seat? ("The Train.")
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A child.
(c) A pregnant woman.
(d) A drunk lieutenant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were "unfortunate ones" made to think that machine grease was? ("Land-Lease.")
2. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
3. What did the narrator say was mixed into the bread that made it "magnificent"? ("Land-Lease.")
4. In what year was the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot" born?
5. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the new chief of political control at the hospital? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
2. What bliss did the narrator find while in Irkutsk? ("The Train.")
3. Why was Sazonov directed to the poorer hut in "My First Tooth"?
4. What was written on the cell ceiling of the monastery basement? ("My First Tooth.")
5. What was the narrator shocked by about the blade of the bulldozer? ("Land-Lease.")
6. What did Shestakov offer the narrator as nourishment to aid in an upcoming escape attempt? ("Condensed Milk.")
7. What did the bulldozer, in "Land-Lease," come to be used for?
8. Why was Stukov contemptuous and delighted by the shifty-eyed man's admittance about his being an informant? ("Magic")
9. What did convicts receive as payment for keeping their mouths shut about guards beating them? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
10. Why did Praga, in "Esperanto," hack his clothing to rags?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)