|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the convicts spend the night in "My First Tooth"?
(a) A barracks.
(b) A bathhouse.
(c) A police station.
(d) A cave.
2. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
(a) The office of the chief.
(b) The guardhouse.
(c) The bathhouse.
(d) The supply room.
3. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
4. To what director was "The Injector" written to?
(a) The Director of Munitions.
(b) The Director of Supplies.
(c) The Director of Incoming Prisoners.
(d) The Director of Mines.
5. Stories of what bridge made Golubev's boss ecstatic? ("Magic.")
(a) Eads Bridge.
(b) Golden Gate Bridge.
(c) Storbaelt Bridge.
(d) Brooklyn Bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was told, at the end of "The Lawyers' Plot", had happened to Rebrov?
2. What time was the narrator to go see Romanov in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
3. What job did Skoroseev volunteer to do since no one else could or would? ("Esperanto.")
4. What occupation did Golubev's boss ask if any of the new prisoners had held? ("Magic.")
5. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Child's Drawing," why did the convicts stand in groups of five when guards were dividing out work assignments?
2. What did the bulldozer, in "Land-Lease," come to be used for?
3. What about the Senior Supervisor-Ministry of Internal Affairs' name impressed the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
4. Why did Golubev watch Stukov's "game" with pleasure? ("Magic.")
5. What did convicts receive as payment for keeping their mouths shut about guards beating them? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
6. Where did the narrator hide his money during his train ride? ("The Train.")
7. Why was Stukov contemptuous and delighted by the shifty-eyed man's admittance about his being an informant? ("Magic")
8. What happened at the end of "Esperanto" to the narrator"?
9. Why did Gusev break the window in the basement of the former monastery? ("My First Tooth.")
10. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)