|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
(a) A bell.
(b) A siren.
(c) A phone call.
(d) An alarm.
2. What did the narrator say was mixed into the bread that made it "magnificent"? ("Land-Lease.")
3. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
(a) Knit underwear.
(b) Linen underwear.
(c) Cotton underwear.
(d) Silk underwear.
4. In what year was the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot" born?
5. Before 1938, according to "Land-Lease," what was used to move logs?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator call "precious things" in "Esperanto"?
2. How many years of his life was the narrator ready to forget? ("The Train.")
3. What did the orderly tell the narrator to bring back from Romanov's home? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
4. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
5. In "Magic," what object was tapping on the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the new chief of political control at the hospital? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
2. Why was Golubev called to Stukov's home in "Magic"?
3. How did the narrator describe Romanov in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
4. What did Shestakov offer the narrator as nourishment to aid in an upcoming escape attempt? ("Condensed Milk.")
5. What did the bulldozer, in "Land-Lease," come to be used for?
6. Where did the narrator hide his money during his train ride? ("The Train.")
7. Why were the convicts unable to eat the horse meat in "Esperanto"?
8. What game did the lieutenant and the narrator play during "The Train"?
9. Why was Sazonov directed to the poorer hut in "My First Tooth"?
10. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)