|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What month was it in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
2. What job did Skoroseev volunteer to do since no one else could or would? ("Esperanto.")
(a) Go out into the blizzard for supplies.
(b) Murder the chief.
(c) Shoe a horse.
(d) Butcher a horse.
3. What was the name of Golubev's boss in "Magic"?
4. In "My First Tooth," what was written in coal on the walls of the basement?
(a) "Do not give up your humanity!"
(b) "Do not give up!"
(c) "Comrades, be strong!"
(d) "Remember your wives!"
5. How much oatmeal did the convicts receive in their portions? ("Land-Lease")
(a) Half a cup.
(b) 2 tablespoons.
(c) One cup.
(d) 1 tablespoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "Esperanto," what did Skoroseev ask of the narrator after he had spent the night in his (Skoroseev's) home?
2. What did the Diamond trucks and Studebakers haul along the roads in Kolyma? ("Land-Lease.")
3. What did the narrator not fear being stolen from him in "The Train"?
4. When the name "Skoroseev" was mentioned to the narrator, what did he immediately recall? ("Esperanto.")
5. What did the man who asked the narrator for help, in carrying his baskets to the scales, have in his baskets? ("The Train.")
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the narrator describe Romanov in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
2. What did Shestakov offer the narrator as nourishment to aid in an upcoming escape attempt? ("Condensed Milk.")
3. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
4. Why was Sazonov directed to the poorer hut in "My First Tooth"?
5. Why were the convicts unable to eat the horse meat in "Esperanto"?
6. Why did Golubev watch Stukov's "game" with pleasure? ("Magic.")
7. Why did Praga, in "Esperanto," hack his clothing to rags?
8. In "A Child's Drawing," why did the convicts stand in groups of five when guards were dividing out work assignments?
9. What was written on the cell ceiling of the monastery basement? ("My First Tooth.")
10. What bliss did the narrator find while in Irkutsk? ("The Train.")
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)