|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator call "precious things" in "Esperanto"?
(a) Pea coats.
(b) Civilian clothing.
(c) Felt boots.
(d) Convict clothing.
2. What occupation did Golubev's boss ask if any of the new prisoners had held? ("Magic.")
(b) Secret police.
3. What month was it in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
4. In 1939, what quarantine had the narrator and five others endured? ("Esperanto.")
(c) The plague.
5. What month was it in the opening of "My First Tooth"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the hospital director doing with the doctors at the opening of "Chief of Political Control"?
2. What color armbands did the military patrol wear at the train station? ("The Train.")
3. What did the Diamond trucks and Studebakers haul along the roads in Kolyma? ("Land-Lease.")
4. What did Praga, in "Esperanto," do to his clothing?
5. Where did the convicts spend the night in "My First Tooth"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot," what were the three ways out of the mine?
2. Why was the narrator afraid to get off of the train at any station other than the Moscow station? ("The Train.")
3. In "A Child's Drawing," why did the convicts stand in groups of five when guards were dividing out work assignments?
4. How did the narrator describe Romanov in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
5. What did convicts receive as payment for keeping their mouths shut about guards beating them? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
6. Why did the narrator in "My First Tooth" state that it was easier to bear something after you write it down? ("My First Tooth.")
7. What was written on the cell ceiling of the monastery basement? ("My First Tooth.")
8. Why did Praga, in "Esperanto," hack his clothing to rags?
9. What "magical powers" did Stukov have? ("Magic")
10. What was the narrator shocked by about the blade of the bulldozer? ("Land-Lease.")
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)