|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color armbands did the military patrol wear at the train station? ("The Train.")
2. What, in the narrator's language, meant "run off at the mouth"? ("Esperanto.")
3. What did the chief, in "Chief of Political Control," refuse in place of doing business first?
4. How many years of his life was the narrator ready to forget? ("The Train.")
5. What job did Skoroseev volunteer to do since no one else could or would? ("Esperanto.")
(a) Murder the chief.
(b) Butcher a horse.
(c) Go out into the blizzard for supplies.
(d) Shoe a horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Golubev's bosses favorite? ("Magic.")
2. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
3. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
4. What was Romanov's real occupation? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
5. What book set did the narrator plan on buying once he reached Moscow? ("The Train.")
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the narrator hide his money during his train ride? ("The Train.")
2. According to the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot," what were the three ways out of the mine?
3. What did convicts receive as payment for keeping their mouths shut about guards beating them? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
4. In "A Child's Drawing," why did the convicts stand in groups of five when guards were dividing out work assignments?
5. What bliss did the narrator find while in Irkutsk? ("The Train.")
6. What did Shestakov offer the narrator as nourishment to aid in an upcoming escape attempt? ("Condensed Milk.")
7. Why did Gusev break the window in the basement of the former monastery? ("My First Tooth.")
8. Why did the narrator in "My First Tooth" state that it was easier to bear something after you write it down? ("My First Tooth.")
9. Why did the narrator decide that he had not been lucky in getting called to Romanov's home? ("The Lawyer's Plot.")
10. Why was Sazonov directed to the poorer hut in "My First Tooth"?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)