|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What equipment arrived from America and, therefore, convicts learned a new word?
(d) Front-end loader.
2. Once on the train, who did the narrator find in his seat? ("The Train.")
(a) A drunk lieutenant.
(b) A child.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A pregnant woman.
3. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
(a) Cotton underwear.
(b) Knit underwear.
(c) Silk underwear.
(d) Linen underwear.
4. How long had the bodies been in the mass grave? ("Land-Lease.")
(a) Since 1947.
(b) Since 1894.
(c) Since 1938.
(d) Since 1902.
5. What day was it during "Chief of Political Control"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the window in the basement broken? ("My First Tooth.")
2. Stories of what bridge made Golubev's boss ecstatic? ("Magic.")
3. What kind of injection did the chief in "Chief of Political Control" need?
4. What time was the narrator to go see Romanov in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
5. Before 1938, according to "Land-Lease," what was used to move logs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the Spam that was sent to the camps from America? ("Land-Lease.")
2. Why was Stukov contemptuous and delighted by the shifty-eyed man's admittance about his being an informant? ("Magic")
3. Why did Golubev watch Stukov's "game" with pleasure? ("Magic.")
4. What happened at the end of "Esperanto" to the narrator"?
5. What bliss did the narrator find while in Irkutsk? ("The Train.")
6. Why was Sazonov directed to the poorer hut in "My First Tooth"?
7. Why did Praga, in "Esperanto," hack his clothing to rags?
8. What about the Senior Supervisor-Ministry of Internal Affairs' name impressed the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
9. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
10. Why did the narrator in "My First Tooth" state that it was easier to bear something after you write it down? ("My First Tooth.")
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)