|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator say was mixed into the bread that made it "magnificent"? ("Land-Lease.")
2. What did Praga, in "Esperanto," do to his clothing?
(a) Traded it for extra soup.
(b) Burned it.
(c) Tore it into rags.
(d) Traded it for tobacco.
3. What was being yelled as Peter Zayats was thrown out of the shelter and into the snow? ("My First Tooth.")
4. Who shoved the narrator up against a window in the basement? ("My First Tooth.")
5. What color was the notebook that the men found in "A Child's Drawing"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the orderly tell the narrator to bring back from Romanov's home? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
2. In "My First Tooth," what was written in coal on the walls of the basement?
3. In what year was the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot" born?
4. In 1939, what quarantine had the narrator and five others endured? ("Esperanto.")
5. Who reminded the narrator of "Esperanto"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot," what were the three ways out of the mine?
2. What happened to the Spam that was sent to the camps from America? ("Land-Lease.")
3. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
4. What was written on the cell ceiling of the monastery basement? ("My First Tooth.")
5. Why did Gusev break the window in the basement of the former monastery? ("My First Tooth.")
6. How did the narrator come to remember the story "Esperanto"?
7. How did the narrator describe Romanov in "The Lawyer's Plot"?
8. Why did Golubev watch Stukov's "game" with pleasure? ("Magic.")
9. What game did the lieutenant and the narrator play during "The Train"?
10. What happened at the end of "Esperanto" to the narrator"?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)