|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position was Skoroseev given in "Esperanto."?
(a) Road builder.
(b) Stockroom guard.
2. How long had the bodies been in the mass grave? ("Land-Lease.")
(a) Since 1938.
(b) Since 1947.
(c) Since 1894.
(d) Since 1902.
3. What occupation did Golubev's boss ask if any of the new prisoners had held? ("Magic.")
(b) Secret police.
4. What did the narrator not fear being stolen from him in "The Train"?
5. In "Magic," what object was tapping on the window?
(a) A tree branch.
(b) A stick.
(c) A cat.
(d) A bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were "unfortunate ones" made to think that machine grease was? ("Land-Lease.")
2. At the end of "Esperanto," what did Skoroseev ask of the narrator after he had spent the night in his (Skoroseev's) home?
3. What was the name of Golubev's boss in "Magic"?
4. What day was it during "Chief of Political Control"?
5. What was the hospital director doing with the doctors at the opening of "Chief of Political Control"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gusev break the window in the basement of the former monastery? ("My First Tooth.")
2. Why did Golubev watch Stukov's "game" with pleasure? ("Magic.")
3. Why was Golubev called to Stukov's home in "Magic"?
4. Why did the narrator decide that he had not been lucky in getting called to Romanov's home? ("The Lawyer's Plot.")
5. In "A Child's Drawing," why did the convicts stand in groups of five when guards were dividing out work assignments?
6. Why was the new chief of political control at the hospital? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
7. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
8. Why was Stukov contemptuous and delighted by the shifty-eyed man's admittance about his being an informant? ("Magic")
9. Why did Praga, in "Esperanto," hack his clothing to rags?
10. Why were the convicts unable to eat the horse meat in "Esperanto"?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)