|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator recall had been confiscated in Magadan? ("Esperanto.")
(b) Fur coats.
(c) Fleece coats.
2. What were "unfortunate ones" made to think that machine grease was? ("Land-Lease.")
(a) Warmed coal.
(d) Medicinal ointment.
3. What color armbands did the military patrol wear at the train station? ("The Train.")
4. How many carpenters were allowed to be retained in "Magic"?
5. Why was Peter Zayats beaten by the guards in "My First Tooth"?
(a) Refusal to stand for roll-call.
(b) For being sick.
(c) For taking extra food.
(d) For spitting on a guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once on the train, who did the narrator find in his seat? ("The Train.")
2. What was Romanov's real occupation? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
3. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
4. What was being yelled as Peter Zayats was thrown out of the shelter and into the snow? ("My First Tooth.")
5. What did the orderly tell the narrator to bring back from Romanov's home? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
Short Essay Questions
1. What did convicts receive as payment for keeping their mouths shut about guards beating them? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
2. Why was Sazonov directed to the poorer hut in "My First Tooth"?
3. What game did the lieutenant and the narrator play during "The Train"?
4. What did Shestakov offer the narrator as nourishment to aid in an upcoming escape attempt? ("Condensed Milk.")
5. In "A Child's Drawing," why did the convicts stand in groups of five when guards were dividing out work assignments?
6. Where did the narrator hide his money during his train ride? ("The Train.")
7. According to the narrator in "The Lawyer's Plot," what were the three ways out of the mine?
8. What happened to the Spam that was sent to the camps from America? ("Land-Lease.")
9. What was written on the cell ceiling of the monastery basement? ("My First Tooth.")
10. What happened at the end of "Esperanto" to the narrator"?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)