|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what keys did Gorbunov come to the guardhouse to get?
(a) The grain room keys.
(b) The food storeroom keys.
(c) The clothing room keys.
(d) The bathhouse keys.
2. What did the two men, from "A Pushover Job," place into the bag of pine needles?
(a) A stone.
(b) A stick.
(c) A watch.
(d) A rabbit.
3. What did Potashnikov receive for dinner at the end of "Carpenters"?
4. What did Garkunov have under his dirty undershirt?
(a) A linen shirt.
(b) A fleece jacket.
(c) A sweater.
(d) A flak jacket.
5. What did the narrator refuse to give up at the end of "Prosthetic Appliances"?
(a) His leg.
(b) His coat.
(c) His hand.
(d) His soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the bathhouse sessions referred to in "In the Bathhouse"?
2. What did Pesniakevich's mother own in Minsk? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
3. For Potashnikov, how long did his breakfast sustain his work? ("Carpenters.")
4. What did the narrator compare the hills to in "A Pushover Job"?
5. What did the narrator claim was "a relative concept"? ("In the Bathhouse")
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the story "Sententious" end?
2. In "Sententious," who did the narrator say that he envied?
3. Who did Gloubev recognize in the hospital as he was recovering from his appendectomy? ("A Piece of Meat.")
4. What did Savelev do after finding Ivanovich hung himself?
5. Why did Garkunov die at the end of "On Tick"?
6. Why were camp officials perplexed by the convicts avoidance of the bathhouse?
7. What materials were needed to make the playing cards that the men in "On Tick" used?
8. What plans did Bagretsov have for the underwear that he took off of the corpse?
9. Why was the Siberian dwarf cedar called a "weatherman" by the narrator?
10. What happened to Grigoriev and Potashnikov after the foreman found out that they were not carpenters?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)