|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the bathhouse sessions referred to in "In the Bathhouse"?
2. In "On Tick," what did the narrator say was the safest place to be?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The horse-drivers' barracks.
(c) The guards' room.
(d) The food-storage room.
3. What did Bagretsov cut his finger on as he lay on the ground near Glebov?
(a) A zipper.
(b) A knife.
(c) A branch.
(d) A rock.
4. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim that each day brought?
(a) The desire to die.
(b) The urge to escape.
(c) The danger of a "lurch into death."
(d) The renewed hope of life.
5. What was the name of the religious sect spoken about in "Quiet"?
(a) Know to Live.
(b) Forever Free.
(c) Hope in God.
(d) God Knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Prosthetic Appliances," what would a guard mark a cell with if the cell was not to receive hot food?
2. What article of the Criminal Code defined political prisoners?
3. In "A Piece of Meat," who "offered" a "bloody sacrifice"?
4. What did Merzlakov steal when he "miraculously managed" to get a stable-hand job at the camps?
5. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim was the first pity to return?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the convicts that had been in the camps take their bread back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle")
2. What hypothesis was tested in the story "Quiet"?
3. What decision did the men in "Dry Rations" make regarding their food?
4. What plans did Bagretsov have for the underwear that he took off of the corpse?
5. How did Platonov, in "The Snake Charmer," die?
6. Why were camp officials perplexed by the convicts avoidance of the bathhouse?
7. What materials were needed to make the playing cards that the men in "On Tick" used?
8. Given that convicts were not allowed to see a thermometer, how did they know when temperatures reached 60 degrees below zero in "Carpenters"?
9. In "The Bathhouse," why was lice a relative concept to most convicts?
10. What question did the new arrivals ask of the old convicts in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)