|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Prosthetic Appliances," what would a guard mark a cell with if the cell was not to receive hot food?
2. What did the narrator compare the hills to in "A Pushover Job"?
(a) Loaves of sugar.
(c) Sugar cookies.
(d) Frosted glass.
3. What kind of bird did the narrator say was unafraid of people and could be shot easily? ("Sententious.")
4. What did the narrator say was the only thing that a prisoner would wash if he were only allotted a spoonful of water to bathe?
(a) His eyes.
(b) His mouth.
(c) His ears.
(d) His nose.
5. What had Merzlakov received for breakfast on the morning that he compared humans to livestock?
(a) Two eggs.
(b) One slice of bread.
(c) Three spoonfuls of porridge.
(d) An ounce of milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. As told in "In the Bathhouse," how many men are packed into the dressing-rooms of the bathhouse?
2. In "On Tick," what did the narrator say was the safest place to be?
3. What story did the men at the fire NOT want to hear Platonov tell? (The Snake Charmer.")
4. How many parts did the men have to divide their rations into? ("Dry Rations.")
5. What did Seva refuse to play cards for? ("On Tick.")
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans did Bagretsov have for the underwear that he took off of the corpse?
2. Why did Garkunov die at the end of "On Tick"?
3. Why were camp officials perplexed by the convicts avoidance of the bathhouse?
4. What question did the new arrivals ask of the old convicts in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
5. What materials were needed to make the playing cards that the men in "On Tick" used?
6. Who did Gloubev recognize in the hospital as he was recovering from his appendectomy? ("A Piece of Meat.")
7. What notations did the guards, described in "Prosthetic Appliances", use to show that a convict would not receive hot food and/or bread?
8. In the story "In The Night," how did Bagretsov cut his finger?
9. What decision did the men in "Dry Rations" make regarding their food?
10. What was the "circle" that was created regarding the relationship between work and food in "Shock Therapy"?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)