|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Piece of Meat," how did Golubev always sleep?
(a) With a blanket over his head.
(c) Sitting up.
(d) In his clothes.
2. In "Quiet," what was concerning to the narrator about the tables in the camp dining room?
(a) They were clean.
(b) They were full of food.
(c) They were broken.
(d) They were sticky.
3. What did the narrator claim had left all men, in "Dry Rations," because of the long fasts that they suffered through?
(a) All human emotions.
(b) All desire to survive.
(c) All will to live.
(d) All need for food.
4. What did Fedya call Platonov in "The Snake Charmer"?
5. What did the prisoners refuse to eat in the dining hall and take back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the two men, from "A Pushover Job," place into the bag of pine needles?
2. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim that each day brought?
3. What did the narrator refuse to give up at the end of "Prosthetic Appliances"?
4. What prints did the men in "Dry Rations" follow to get to the spring?
5. What did Pesniakevich's mother own in Minsk? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans did Bagretsov have for the underwear that he took off of the corpse?
2. Why were camp officials perplexed by the convicts avoidance of the bathhouse?
3. Why was the Siberian dwarf cedar called a "weatherman" by the narrator?
4. What materials were needed to make the playing cards that the men in "On Tick" used?
5. In "Sententious," who did the narrator say that he envied?
6. In "The Bathhouse," why was lice a relative concept to most convicts?
7. What hypothesis was tested in the story "Quiet"?
8. What question did the new arrivals ask of the old convicts in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
9. What happened to Grigoriev and Potashnikov after the foreman found out that they were not carpenters?
10. Why did the narrator state that love was the hardest emotion to return to convicts? ("Sententious.")
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)