|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of "In The Night," what had just ended?
(a) Noon tea.
2. What did Glebov want at the end of "In the Night"?
(a) A warm meal.
(b) A new coat.
(c) A coffee.
(d) A smoke.
3. In "Carpenters," for how long had the fog been so thick that a man was not able to be seen from "two paces away"?
(a) 2 days.
(b) A month.
(d) One week.
4. What was the name of the religious sect spoken about in "Quiet"?
(a) Know to Live.
(b) Forever Free.
(c) God Knows.
(d) Hope in God.
5. What did the sectarian need his extra portion of food to do? ("Quiet.")
(a) Find hope in life.
(b) Decide to die.
(c) Lok forward to the next day.
(d) Get a good nights rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Kurchen write his letter with his left hand instead of his right?
2. What was the last thing that Golubev said in "A Piece of Meat"?
3. What story did the men at the fire NOT want to hear Platonov tell? (The Snake Charmer.")
4. What did the narrator claim was the last human emotion? ("Sententious.")
5. What did the narrator say "materialized out of nowhere"? ("Sententious.")
Short Essay Questions
1. What question did the new arrivals ask of the old convicts in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
2. Why did Merzlakov fake a back injury in "Shock Therapy"?
3. What did the extra food give the sectarian the energy to do in "Quiet"?
4. How did Platonov, in "The Snake Charmer," die?
5. Given that convicts were not allowed to see a thermometer, how did they know when temperatures reached 60 degrees below zero in "Carpenters"?
6. Who did Gloubev recognize in the hospital as he was recovering from his appendectomy? ("A Piece of Meat.")
7. What hypothesis was tested in the story "Quiet"?
8. Why did Garkunov die at the end of "On Tick"?
9. What materials were needed to make the playing cards that the men in "On Tick" used?
10. What did the narrator in "A Pushover Job" and his companion do to full-fill their quota of pine needles?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)