|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Gorbunov kill in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
(a) A guard.
(b) A man who took his shoes.
(c) Another prisoner.
(d) A man who took his bread.
2. What did Garkunov have under his dirty undershirt?
(a) A linen shirt.
(b) A flak jacket.
(c) A sweater.
(d) A fleece jacket.
3. How long had Merzlakov been in the camp (according to "Shock Therapy")?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six days.
(c) One year.
(d) A year and a half.
4. To whom was "Sententious" dedicated?
(a) Nitkita Drezgrov.
(b) Romentz Bulvikov.
(c) Nadezhda Mandelshtam.
(d) Simon Gradstrom.
5. What was Glebov's old occupation before being sent to the camps?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A dentist.
(d) A carpenter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Potashnikov receive for dinner at the end of "Carpenters"?
2. How did the narrator, in "Sententious," perceive the tent in which he slept?
3. What did the narrator say was the only thing that a prisoner would wash if he were only allotted a spoonful of water to bathe?
4. What was the narrator sitting by at the opening of "The Snake Charmer"?
5. What was the name of the religious sect spoken about in "Quiet"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Merzlakov fake a back injury in "Shock Therapy"?
2. What did the narrator say about death in "Sententious"?
3. Why did the convicts that had been in the camps take their bread back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle")
4. In the story "In The Night," how did Bagretsov cut his finger?
5. What prosthetics were collected by the guards in "Prosthetic Appliances"?
6. In "The Bathhouse," why was lice a relative concept to most convicts?
7. What "piece of meat" did Golubev offer up in sacrifice? ("A Piece of Meat.")
8. What happened to Grigoriev and Potashnikov after the foreman found out that they were not carpenters?
9. What did Savelev do after finding Ivanovich hung himself?
10. Why did Garkunov die at the end of "On Tick"?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)