|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the only way that prisoners could stand by the stove in "Quiet"?
(a) To dry bread.
(b) To warm their soup.
(c) To dry shoes.
(d) To dry their hands.
2. Who was shot in "Quiet"?
(a) The guard's dog.
(b) The food server.
(c) The guard.
(d) The sectarian.
3. Who was denied hot food for refusing to give up his prosthetic arm?
4. During what months would the dwarf cedar tree rise up from the ground?
(a) March or April.
(b) September or October.
(c) April or May.
(d) December or January.
5. Why did Kurchen write his letter with his left hand instead of his right?
(a) His right hand had been burned.
(b) He lost his right hand in the ovens.
(c) He was crippled on his right side.
(d) He had been shot in the right shoulder.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Piece of Meat," who "offered" a "bloody sacrifice"?
2. What did Potashnikov receive for dinner at the end of "Carpenters"?
3. What was Glebov's old occupation before being sent to the camps?
4. Fedya Shapov had been a member of what league prior to becoming a prisoner?
5. In "Quiet," what was concerning to the narrator about the tables in the camp dining room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Siberian dwarf cedar called a "weatherman" by the narrator?
2. What "piece of meat" did Golubev offer up in sacrifice? ("A Piece of Meat.")
3. How did Platonov, in "The Snake Charmer," die?
4. Who did Gloubev recognize in the hospital as he was recovering from his appendectomy? ("A Piece of Meat.")
5. In the story "In The Night," how did Bagretsov cut his finger?
6. What materials were needed to make the playing cards that the men in "On Tick" used?
7. What did Savelev do after finding Ivanovich hung himself?
8. What question did the new arrivals ask of the old convicts in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
9. Why did Platonov decide to tell the thieves a story? ("The Snake Charmer.")
10. Why did Garkunov die at the end of "On Tick"?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)