|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What article of the Criminal Code defined political prisoners?
2. What kind of bird did the narrator say was unafraid of people and could be shot easily? ("Sententious.")
3. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 1 year.
4. According to Merzlakov, who were the first to die in the camps?
(a) The "scrawny men."
(b) The "starved men."
(c) The "larger men."
(d) The "hungry men."
5. What did the two men, from "A Pushover Job," place into the bag of pine needles?
(a) A stick.
(b) A watch.
(c) A stone.
(d) A rabbit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following instruments were allowed to be used by political prisoners when under the watch of the worst camp heads?
2. What did Pesniakevich's mother own in Minsk? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
3. During what months would the dwarf cedar tree rise up from the ground?
4. In "A Piece of Meat," how did Golubev always sleep?
5. What did "Carpenters" state men were not shown?
Short Essay Questions
1. Given that convicts were not allowed to see a thermometer, how did they know when temperatures reached 60 degrees below zero in "Carpenters"?
2. Who did Gloubev recognize in the hospital as he was recovering from his appendectomy? ("A Piece of Meat.")
3. What decision did the men in "Dry Rations" make regarding their food?
4. What did the narrator say about death in "Sententious"?
5. Why were camp officials perplexed by the convicts avoidance of the bathhouse?
6. How did the story "Sententious" end?
7. Why did Platonov decide to tell the thieves a story? ("The Snake Charmer.")
8. What question did the new arrivals ask of the old convicts in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
9. How did Platonov, in "The Snake Charmer," die?
10. What "piece of meat" did Golubev offer up in sacrifice? ("A Piece of Meat.")
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)