|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men were standing in the corridor awaiting a strip search? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
2. What did the prisoners refuse to eat in the dining hall and take back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
3. According to Merzlakov, who were the first to die in the camps?
(a) The "starved men."
(b) The "hungry men."
(c) The "larger men."
(d) The "scrawny men."
4. What did Merzlakov pretend was hurt so that he would not have to return to work?
(a) His hand.
(b) His back.
(c) His shoulder.
(d) His leg.
5. What did Potashnikov receive for dinner at the end of "Carpenters"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Glebov want at the end of "In the Night"?
2. What did Seva refuse to play cards for? ("On Tick.")
3. In "A Piece of Meat," how did Golubev always sleep?
4. What did the narrator claim was the last human emotion? ("Sententious.")
5. In "A Pushover Job," which northern tree did the narrator state that he loved the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans did Bagretsov have for the underwear that he took off of the corpse?
2. Why did Garkunov die at the end of "On Tick"?
3. In "The Bathhouse," why was lice a relative concept to most convicts?
4. What happened to Grigoriev and Potashnikov after the foreman found out that they were not carpenters?
5. In the story "In The Night," how did Bagretsov cut his finger?
6. What prosthetics were collected by the guards in "Prosthetic Appliances"?
7. Why were camp officials perplexed by the convicts avoidance of the bathhouse?
8. What did the narrator say about death in "Sententious"?
9. Given that convicts were not allowed to see a thermometer, how did they know when temperatures reached 60 degrees below zero in "Carpenters"?
10. Why did Merzlakov fake a back injury in "Shock Therapy"?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)