|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the two men, from "A Pushover Job," place into the bag of pine needles?
(a) A stick.
(b) A watch.
(c) A stone.
(d) A rabbit.
2. What was the name of the religious sect spoken about in "Quiet"?
(a) Forever Free.
(b) Hope in God.
(c) God Knows.
(d) Know to Live.
3. What was the narrator sitting by at the opening of "The Snake Charmer"?
(a) A gun.
(b) A tree.
(c) A fence.
(d) A boulder.
4. What was no convict able to have of his own? ("In the Bathhouse.")
5. What was Glebov's old occupation before being sent to the camps?
(a) A dentist.
(b) A carpenter.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Piece of Meat," how did Golubev always sleep?
2. Because of the barrenness of the winter, as described in "A Pushover Job," how far could a person be seen from?
3. What did the narrator claim was the last human emotion? ("Sententious.")
4. What article of the Criminal Code defined political prisoners?
5. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were camp officials perplexed by the convicts avoidance of the bathhouse?
2. What happened to Grigoriev and Potashnikov after the foreman found out that they were not carpenters?
3. What prosthetics were collected by the guards in "Prosthetic Appliances"?
4. Why did Platonov decide to tell the thieves a story? ("The Snake Charmer.")
5. What hypothesis was tested in the story "Quiet"?
6. What did the narrator in "A Pushover Job" and his companion do to full-fill their quota of pine needles?
7. In "The Bathhouse," why was lice a relative concept to most convicts?
8. In "Sententious," who did the narrator say that he envied?
9. Why was the Siberian dwarf cedar called a "weatherman" by the narrator?
10. What was the "circle" that was created regarding the relationship between work and food in "Shock Therapy"?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)