|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For Potashnikov, how long did his breakfast sustain his work? ("Carpenters.")
(a) One hour.
(b) 120 minutes.
(c) 150 minutes.
(d) 90 Minutes.
2. From what book were the cards made from that were used in "On Tick"?
(b) A bible.
(c) A book by Shakespeare.
(d) A book by Victor Hugo.
3. What did the narrator claim was "a relative concept"? ("In the Bathhouse")
4. What was no convict able to have of his own? ("In the Bathhouse.")
5. What did the narrator claim was a "special joy for a convict"? ("Dry Rations")
(a) To have thick soup.
(b) To prepare food.
(c) To eat with friends.
(d) To eat alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dessert were the prisoners fed in "Quiet"?
2. What did "Carpenters" state men were not shown?
3. What did Seva refuse to play cards for? ("On Tick.")
4. How did the narrator, in "Sententious," perceive the tent in which he slept?
5. What did the narrator say was the only thing that a prisoner would wash if he were only allotted a spoonful of water to bathe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the "circle" that was created regarding the relationship between work and food in "Shock Therapy"?
2. Why did Merzlakov fake a back injury in "Shock Therapy"?
3. In the story "In The Night," how did Bagretsov cut his finger?
4. What "piece of meat" did Golubev offer up in sacrifice? ("A Piece of Meat.")
5. What decision did the men in "Dry Rations" make regarding their food?
6. What did the extra food give the sectarian the energy to do in "Quiet"?
7. Why did the convicts that had been in the camps take their bread back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle")
8. What notations did the guards, described in "Prosthetic Appliances", use to show that a convict would not receive hot food and/or bread?
9. What did the narrator in "A Pushover Job" and his companion do to full-fill their quota of pine needles?
10. What question did the new arrivals ask of the old convicts in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)