|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many parts did the men have to divide their rations into? ("Dry Rations.")
2. In "Quiet," what was concerning to the narrator about the tables in the camp dining room?
(a) They were broken.
(b) They were full of food.
(c) They were clean.
(d) They were sticky.
3. For Potashnikov, how long did his breakfast sustain his work? ("Carpenters.")
(a) 90 Minutes.
(b) 120 minutes.
(c) One hour.
(d) 150 minutes.
4. What did the narrator say "materialized out of nowhere"? ("Sententious.")
5. What was the only way that prisoners could stand by the stove in "Quiet"?
(a) To warm their soup.
(b) To dry bread.
(c) To dry shoes.
(d) To dry their hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story did the men at the fire NOT want to hear Platonov tell? (The Snake Charmer.")
2. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim that each day brought?
3. What did Merzlakov pretend was hurt so that he would not have to return to work?
4. What kind of bird did the narrator say was unafraid of people and could be shot easily? ("Sententious.")
5. During what months would the dwarf cedar tree rise up from the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What "piece of meat" did Golubev offer up in sacrifice? ("A Piece of Meat.")
2. What notations did the guards, described in "Prosthetic Appliances", use to show that a convict would not receive hot food and/or bread?
3. In "The Bathhouse," why was lice a relative concept to most convicts?
4. What hypothesis was tested in the story "Quiet"?
5. In the story "In The Night," how did Bagretsov cut his finger?
6. Why did the narrator state that love was the hardest emotion to return to convicts? ("Sententious.")
7. Why did Platonov decide to tell the thieves a story? ("The Snake Charmer.")
8. Why did Merzlakov fake a back injury in "Shock Therapy"?
9. How did the story "Sententious" end?
10. What did Savelev do after finding Ivanovich hung himself?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)