|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Carpenters," for how long had the fog been so thick that a man was not able to be seen from "two paces away"?
(a) One week.
(c) 2 days.
(d) A month.
2. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what did Major Pugachov tell a party boss he was preparing for?
(a) A concert.
(b) A trip to the ovens.
(c) A play.
(d) A transfer to another camp.
3. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim that each day brought?
(a) The renewed hope of life.
(b) The danger of a "lurch into death."
(c) The desire to die.
(d) The urge to escape.
4. What was the name of the religious sect spoken about in "Quiet"?
(a) Know to Live.
(b) Forever Free.
(c) Hope in God.
(d) God Knows.
5. What was the only way that prisoners could stand by the stove in "Quiet"?
(a) To dry shoes.
(b) To dry bread.
(c) To dry their hands.
(d) To warm their soup.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parts did the men have to divide their rations into? ("Dry Rations.")
2. What are the bathhouse sessions referred to in "In the Bathhouse"?
3. What did the two men, from "A Pushover Job," place into the bag of pine needles?
4. What did Merzlakov steal when he "miraculously managed" to get a stable-hand job at the camps?
5. What appeared on a tree stump at the end of "Sententious"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans did Bagretsov have for the underwear that he took off of the corpse?
2. What did the narrator say about death in "Sententious"?
3. What did the narrator in "A Pushover Job" and his companion do to full-fill their quota of pine needles?
4. Why did Merzlakov fake a back injury in "Shock Therapy"?
5. Why did Garkunov die at the end of "On Tick"?
6. Who did Gloubev recognize in the hospital as he was recovering from his appendectomy? ("A Piece of Meat.")
7. In "The Bathhouse," why was lice a relative concept to most convicts?
8. Why was the Siberian dwarf cedar called a "weatherman" by the narrator?
9. How did Platonov, in "The Snake Charmer," die?
10. In the story "In The Night," how did Bagretsov cut his finger?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)