|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom was "Sententious" dedicated?
(a) Simon Gradstrom.
(b) Romentz Bulvikov.
(c) Nitkita Drezgrov.
(d) Nadezhda Mandelshtam.
2. Who did Gorbunov kill in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
(a) A guard.
(b) A man who took his bread.
(c) A man who took his shoes.
(d) Another prisoner.
3. What did Golubev fake so he would not have to return to work? ("A Piece of Meat")
(a) Hearing loss.
(b) A broken back.
(c) A broken rib.
4. How many parts did the men have to divide their rations into? ("Dry Rations.")
5. What did Seva refuse to play cards for? ("On Tick.")
(b) A coat.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A blanket.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Merzlakov, who were the first to die in the camps?
2. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
3. What did the sectarian need his extra portion of food to do? ("Quiet.")
4. What was the last thing that Golubev said in "A Piece of Meat"?
5. What did Fedya call Platonov in "The Snake Charmer"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the convicts unable to eat the horse meat in "Esperanto"?
2. How did Platonov, in "The Snake Charmer," die?
3. In the story "In The Night," how did Bagretsov cut his finger?
4. Why did the convicts that had been in the camps take their bread back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle")
5. What prosthetics were collected by the guards in "Prosthetic Appliances"?
6. Why did Gusev break the window in the basement of the former monastery? ("My First Tooth.")
7. What did Shestakov offer the narrator as nourishment to aid in an upcoming escape attempt? ("Condensed Milk.")
8. What did convicts receive as payment for keeping their mouths shut about guards beating them? ("The Chief of Political Control.")
9. Who was Ornaldo as described in "The Used-Book Dealer"?
10. Why did the narrator state that love was the hardest emotion to return to convicts? ("Sententious.")
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)