|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of bird did the narrator say was unafraid of people and could be shot easily? ("Sententious.")
2. Who was denied hot food for refusing to give up his prosthetic arm?
3. What did the narrator claim had left all men, in "Dry Rations," because of the long fasts that they suffered through?
(a) All need for food.
(b) All desire to survive.
(c) All will to live.
(d) All human emotions.
4. In "Carpenters," for how long had the fog been so thick that a man was not able to be seen from "two paces away"?
(a) A month.
(c) 2 days.
(d) One week.
5. What had Merzlakov received for breakfast on the morning that he compared humans to livestock?
(a) Two eggs.
(b) One slice of bread.
(c) An ounce of milk.
(d) Three spoonfuls of porridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "In the Night," what was Glebov in no hurry to swallow?
2. In "Shock Therapy," what was described as Merzlakov's former profession?
3. How many parts did the men have to divide their rations into? ("Dry Rations.")
4. What mountain spring did the narrator and his three companions reach at the beginning of "Dry Rations"?
5. What prints did the men in "Dry Rations" follow to get to the spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What materials were needed to make the playing cards that the men in "On Tick" used?
2. What notations did the guards, described in "Prosthetic Appliances", use to show that a convict would not receive hot food and/or bread?
3. What did the narrator say about death in "Sententious"?
4. How did the story "Sententious" end?
5. Why did the narrator state that love was the hardest emotion to return to convicts? ("Sententious.")
6. How did Platonov, in "The Snake Charmer," die?
7. What decision did the men in "Dry Rations" make regarding their food?
8. Why did Platonov decide to tell the thieves a story? ("The Snake Charmer.")
9. What did the extra food give the sectarian the energy to do in "Quiet"?
10. Why did Merzlakov fake a back injury in "Shock Therapy"?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)