Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were the needles of the dwarf cedar tree taken to?
(a) A "vitamin factory."
(b) The bathouse.
(c) The commander's home.
(d) A work house.
2. In "Sententious," how many shotguns were kept in the tent of the narrator?
3. Who did Gorbunov kill in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
(a) A guard.
(b) A man who took his bread.
(c) Another prisoner.
(d) A man who took his shoes.
4. What did the two men, from "A Pushover Job," place into the bag of pine needles?
(a) A stone.
(b) A watch.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A stick.
5. Whose job was it to run the bathhouse and disinfect clothes at the work camps?
(a) The Sanitation Squad.
(b) The Bathhouse Squad.
(c) The work-men from the barracks.
(d) The section commanders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only way that prisoners could stand by the stove in "Quiet"?
2. To whom was "Sententious" dedicated?
3. What did Merzlakov steal when he "miraculously managed" to get a stable-hand job at the camps?
4. What did the prisoners refuse to eat in the dining hall and take back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
5. To what Shakespearean character was the taker of "meat" compared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Merzlakov fake a back injury in "Shock Therapy"?
2. Why did Golubev watch Stukov's "game" with pleasure? ("Magic.")
3. What did Savelev do after finding Ivanovich hung himself?
4. What was the constitution for convicts according to the guard in "The Used-Book Dealer"?
5. What was written on the cell ceiling of the monastery basement? ("My First Tooth.")
6. What game did the lieutenant and the narrator play during "The Train"?
7. In "Sententious," who did the narrator say that he envied?
8. What did the narrator in "A Pushover Job" and his companion do to full-fill their quota of pine needles?
9. Why was the Siberian dwarf cedar called a "weatherman" by the narrator?
10. Where did the narrator hide his money during his train ride? ("The Train.")
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)