Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator compare the hills to in "A Pushover Job"?
(a) Sugar cookies.
(b) Loaves of sugar.
(c) Frosted glass.
2. What did the sectarian need his extra portion of food to do? ("Quiet.")
(a) Decide to die.
(b) Get a good nights rest.
(c) Lok forward to the next day.
(d) Find hope in life.
3. What did the narrator say that he refused to listen to? ("Sententious.")
(c) Fairy tales.
(d) Love stories.
4. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 5 years.
5. What had Merzlakov received for breakfast on the morning that he compared humans to livestock?
(a) Three spoonfuls of porridge.
(b) One slice of bread.
(c) An ounce of milk.
(d) Two eggs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dessert were the prisoners fed in "Quiet"?
2. What did Garkunov have under his dirty undershirt?
3. How many axe handles were the men in "Carpenters" required to make every day?
4. What appeared on a tree stump at the end of "Sententious"?
5. What did Potashnikov receive for dinner at the end of "Carpenters"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the convicts that had been in the camps take their bread back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle")
2. Why did Gusev break the window in the basement of the former monastery? ("My First Tooth.")
3. What was Kudinov's reasoning for why the convict work gang #4 stood idol on November 12th? ("The Injector.")
4. What happened at the end of "Esperanto" to the narrator"?
5. What question did the new arrivals ask of the old convicts in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
6. What hypothesis was tested in the story "Quiet"?
7. What did Fleming say was the "greatest secret of our time"? (The Used-Book Dealer.")
8. Why did Praga, in "Esperanto," hack his clothing to rags?
9. Where did the narrator hide his money during his train ride? ("The Train.")
10. Why did the narrator decide that he had not been lucky in getting called to Romanov's home? ("The Lawyer's Plot.")
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)