|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what keys did Gorbunov come to the guardhouse to get?
(a) The food storeroom keys.
(b) The bathhouse keys.
(c) The grain room keys.
(d) The clothing room keys.
2. What did the two men, from "A Pushover Job," place into the bag of pine needles?
(a) A stone.
(b) A watch.
(c) A stick.
(d) A rabbit.
3. What prints did the men in "Dry Rations" follow to get to the spring?
(a) Deer prints.
(b) Solider's foot prints.
(c) Wagon prints.
(d) Tractor prints.
4. What did Potashnikov receive for dinner at the end of "Carpenters"?
5. In "A Piece of Meat," who "offered" a "bloody sacrifice"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the sectarian need his extra portion of food to do? ("Quiet.")
2. What did the narrator claim had left all men, in "Dry Rations," because of the long fasts that they suffered through?
3. What did the narrator refuse to give up at the end of "Prosthetic Appliances"?
4. In "Prosthetic Appliances," what would a guard mark a cell with if the cell was not to receive hot food?
5. What did the narrator claim was "a relative concept"? ("In the Bathhouse")
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the convicts that had been in the camps take their bread back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle")
2. What did Shestakov offer the narrator as nourishment to aid in an upcoming escape attempt? ("Condensed Milk.")
3. Why did Garkunov die at the end of "On Tick"?
4. What was the constitution for convicts according to the guard in "The Used-Book Dealer"?
5. How did the story "Sententious" end?
6. Why was the Siberian dwarf cedar called a "weatherman" by the narrator?
7. In the story "In The Night," how did Bagretsov cut his finger?
8. Why did the narrator in "My First Tooth" state that it was easier to bear something after you write it down? ("My First Tooth.")
9. What did the narrator in "A Pushover Job" and his companion do to full-fill their quota of pine needles?
10. Why was the narrator afraid to get off of the train at any station other than the Moscow station? ("The Train.")
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)