|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Quiet," what was concerning to the narrator about the tables in the camp dining room?
(a) They were clean.
(b) They were full of food.
(c) They were sticky.
(d) They were broken.
2. What did the narrator compare the hills to in "A Pushover Job"?
(a) Sugar cookies.
(b) Loaves of sugar.
(d) Frosted glass.
3. What story did the men at the fire NOT want to hear Platonov tell? (The Snake Charmer.")
(a) "The Count of Montecristo."
(c) "The Vampire."
(d) "The Club of Black Jacks."
4. What was the narrator sitting by at the opening of "The Snake Charmer"?
(a) A tree.
(b) A gun.
(c) A boulder.
(d) A fence.
5. Why did Kurchen write his letter with his left hand instead of his right?
(a) His right hand had been burned.
(b) He lost his right hand in the ovens.
(c) He was crippled on his right side.
(d) He had been shot in the right shoulder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Seva refuse to play cards for? ("On Tick.")
2. In "On Tick," what did the narrator say was the safest place to be?
3. What did the narrator say was the only thing that a prisoner would wash if he were only allotted a spoonful of water to bathe?
4. What appeared on a tree stump at the end of "Sententious"?
5. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim that each day brought?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the "circle" that was created regarding the relationship between work and food in "Shock Therapy"?
2. How did Platonov, in "The Snake Charmer," die?
3. Why did the narrator state that love was the hardest emotion to return to convicts? ("Sententious.")
4. Why did Garkunov die at the end of "On Tick"?
5. What prosthetics were collected by the guards in "Prosthetic Appliances"?
6. What did the narrator in "A Pushover Job" and his companion do to full-fill their quota of pine needles?
7. What decision did the men in "Dry Rations" make regarding their food?
8. What did Savelev do after finding Ivanovich hung himself?
9. What notations did the guards, described in "Prosthetic Appliances", use to show that a convict would not receive hot food and/or bread?
10. In "The Bathhouse," why was lice a relative concept to most convicts?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)