|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the guard with the bright-blue eyes in "My First Tooth"?
2. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
(a) For both reasons listed.
(b) Because he did not accept bribes.
(c) Because he hated drunks.
(d) For none of the reasons listed.
3. On the train, in "The Train," what did the narrator state was his first happiness?
4. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
(a) Linen underwear.
(b) Silk underwear.
(c) Knit underwear.
(d) Cotton underwear.
5. What month was it in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
6. What sun had burned the men's faces in "My First Tooth"?
(a) Ural sun.
(b) Endergonic sun.
(c) Aphelion sun.
(d) Perihelion sun.
7. How many carpenters were allowed to be retained in "Magic"?
8. What did the narrator state was worse than criminals who robbed him? ("Esperanto.")
(a) The guards.
(c) The food.
(d) The government.
9. What did the narrator call "precious things" in "Esperanto"?
(a) Civilian clothing.
(b) Pea coats.
(c) Convict clothing.
(d) Felt boots.
10. What, in "My First Tooth," was rented to put convicts into?
(b) A school.
(c) A private home.
(d) A mission.
11. What did Golubev's boss rely on to choose workers to stay at his camp?( "Magic.")
(a) "A slight of the hand by the handlers."
(b) "Special powers."
(c) "A reliance on fate."
(d) "A hidden listing of occupations."
12. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
(a) An alarm.
(b) A siren.
(c) A bell.
(d) A phone call.
13. Why had the lawyers in "The Lawyers' Plot" been taken to the House of Vaskov?
(a) To be released.
(b) To be shot.
(c) To be sentenced.
(d) To have a last meal.
14. In "My First Tooth," what was written in coal on the walls of the basement?
(a) "Do not give up your humanity!"
(b) "Comrades, be strong!"
(c) "Do not give up!"
(d) "Remember your wives!"
15. What time was the narrator to go see Romanov in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the hospital director doing with the doctors at the opening of "Chief of Political Control"?
2. According to Golubev's boss in "Magic," who are all of the carpenters?
3. Who shoved the narrator up against a window in the basement? ("My First Tooth.")
4. At the end of "The Train," where did the narrator state that he was returning from?
5. Who, upon growing up, "created many bright birds"? ("A Child's Drawing.")
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)