|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
(a) For both reasons listed.
(b) Because he did not accept bribes.
(c) For none of the reasons listed.
(d) Because he hated drunks.
2. How many carpenters were allowed to be retained in "Magic"?
3. What equipment arrived from America and, therefore, convicts learned a new word?
(b) Front-end loader.
4. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
(a) The bathhouse.
(b) The supply room.
(c) The office of the chief.
(d) The guardhouse.
5. Why had the lawyers in "The Lawyers' Plot" been taken to the House of Vaskov?
(a) To be released.
(b) To have a last meal.
(c) To be sentenced.
(d) To be shot.
6. What did Praga, in "Esperanto," do to his clothing?
(a) Burned it.
(b) Traded it for extra soup.
(c) Tore it into rags.
(d) Traded it for tobacco.
7. What was raked into Shemolyov's work gang? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) The deformed.
(d) Human rejects.
8. In the notebook in "A Child's Drawings", what were all the houses surrounded by?
9. What was the hospital director doing with the doctors at the opening of "Chief of Political Control"?
(a) Playing cards.
(b) Playing pool.
(c) Complaining about the prisoners.
(d) Watching a surgery.
10. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
11. What day was it during "Chief of Political Control"?
12. What sun had burned the men's faces in "My First Tooth"?
(a) Endergonic sun.
(b) Ural sun.
(c) Perihelion sun.
(d) Aphelion sun.
13. What did the narrator not fear being stolen from him in "The Train"?
14. What, in "My First Tooth," was rented to put convicts into?
(a) A private home.
(b) A school.
(d) A mission.
15. What was being yelled as Peter Zayats was thrown out of the shelter and into the snow? ("My First Tooth.")
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the notebook that the men found in "A Child's Drawing"?
2. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
3. What was the Convict Injector to be replaced with? ("The Injector")
4. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
5. Why was Peter Zayats beaten by the guards in "My First Tooth"?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)