|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
(a) Cotton underwear.
(b) Silk underwear.
(c) Knit underwear.
(d) Linen underwear.
2. In what year was the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot" born?
3. What were contained in the "magical jars" in the story "Land-Lease"?
(b) Vienna Sausages.
4. What did the narrator recall had been confiscated in Magadan? ("Esperanto.")
(b) Fur coats.
(c) Fleece coats.
5. What day was it during "Chief of Political Control"?
6. How much oatmeal did the convicts receive in their portions? ("Land-Lease")
(a) 1 tablespoon.
(b) One cup.
(c) 2 tablespoons.
(d) Half a cup.
7. How many carpenters were allowed to be retained in "Magic"?
8. What did the narrator not fear being stolen from him in "The Train"?
9. What were "unfortunate ones" made to think that machine grease was? ("Land-Lease.")
(a) Medicinal ointment.
(c) Warmed coal.
10. What number gang was the director questioning in "The Injector"?
11. At the end of "Esperanto," what did Skoroseev ask of the narrator after he had spent the night in his (Skoroseev's) home?
(a) A meal.
(b) A smoke.
(c) A blanket.
(d) Payment for the night.
12. Why had the lawyers in "The Lawyers' Plot" been taken to the House of Vaskov?
(a) To be sentenced.
(b) To be shot.
(c) To be released.
(d) To have a last meal.
13. What month was it in the opening of "My First Tooth"?
14. What equipment arrived from America and, therefore, convicts learned a new word?
(a) Front-end loader.
15. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Peter Zayats beaten by the guards in "My First Tooth"?
2. What did the Diamond trucks and Studebakers haul along the roads in Kolyma? ("Land-Lease.")
3. Why was the window in the basement broken? ("My First Tooth.")
4. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
5. What was the name of Golubev's boss in "Magic"?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)