|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the chief, in "Chief of Political Control," refuse in place of doing business first?
2. What occupation did Golubev's boss ask if any of the new prisoners had held? ("Magic.")
(d) Secret police.
3. What color was the notebook that the men found in "A Child's Drawing"?
4. Stories of what bridge made Golubev's boss ecstatic? ("Magic.")
(a) Golden Gate Bridge.
(b) Storbaelt Bridge.
(c) Eads Bridge.
(d) Brooklyn Bridge.
5. What, in "Land-Lease," was nicknamed "American honey"?
(a) Condensed milk.
6. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
(a) A phone call.
(b) A siren.
(c) A bell.
(d) An alarm.
7. What was the Convict Injector to be replaced with? ("The Injector")
(a) A new injector.
(c) A civilian employee.
(d) An older injector.
8. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
(a) Linen underwear.
(b) Knit underwear.
(c) Cotton underwear.
(d) Silk underwear.
9. What was Romanov's real occupation? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) Informant for the German Army.
(b) American spy.
(c) Secret police.
(d) Nazi informant.
10. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
(a) The office of the chief.
(b) The supply room.
(c) The guardhouse.
(d) The bathhouse.
11. What was being performed in the camp in "Esperanto"?
(c) "The Tempest."
(d) "A Fig Branch."
12. What, in "My First Tooth," was rented to put convicts into?
(a) A private home.
(c) A mission.
(d) A school.
13. Who shoved the narrator up against a window in the basement? ("My First Tooth.")
14. In 1939, what quarantine had the narrator and five others endured? ("Esperanto.")
(d) The plague.
15. What did Golubev's boss rely on to choose workers to stay at his camp?( "Magic.")
(a) "A hidden listing of occupations."
(b) "A reliance on fate."
(c) "Special powers."
(d) "A slight of the hand by the handlers."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nikishov claim was different about Kolyma? ("Chief of Political Control.")
2. From where did the new group of prisoners come from? ("Magic.")
3. How long had the bodies been in the mass grave? ("Land-Lease.")
4. In "Magic," what object was tapping on the window?
5. What did the narrator call "precious things" in "Esperanto"?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)