|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "My First Tooth," what was written in coal on the walls of the basement?
(a) "Comrades, be strong!"
(b) "Do not give up!"
(c) "Do not give up your humanity!"
(d) "Remember your wives!"
2. What did Praga, in "Esperanto," do to his clothing?
(a) Traded it for extra soup.
(b) Traded it for tobacco.
(c) Tore it into rags.
(d) Burned it.
3. According to "The Lawyers' Plot," how many paths led out of the mine?
4. What did the narrator call "precious things" in "Esperanto"?
(a) Convict clothing.
(b) Pea coats.
(c) Felt boots.
(d) Civilian clothing.
5. What, in the narrator's language, meant "run off at the mouth"? ("Esperanto.")
6. What, in "My First Tooth," was rented to put convicts into?
(a) A mission.
(b) A school.
(d) A private home.
7. What was the name of Golubev's boss in "Magic"?
8. What color armbands did the military patrol wear at the train station? ("The Train.")
9. What month was it in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
10. What job did Skoroseev volunteer to do since no one else could or would? ("Esperanto.")
(a) Butcher a horse.
(b) Go out into the blizzard for supplies.
(c) Murder the chief.
(d) Shoe a horse.
11. What did the chief, in "Chief of Political Control," refuse in place of doing business first?
12. Who reminded the narrator of "Esperanto"?
(a) A guard.
(b) A dying convict.
(c) An escaping convict.
(d) A wandering actor.
13. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
14. What day was it during "Chief of Political Control"?
15. What kind of injection did the chief in "Chief of Political Control" need?
(c) Blood thickener.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation did Golubev's boss ask if any of the new prisoners had held? ("Magic.")
2. According to Golubev's boss in "Magic," who are all of the carpenters?
3. What did the narrator recall had been confiscated in Magadan? ("Esperanto.")
4. Who was Golubev's bosses favorite? ("Magic.")
5. What was being performed in the camp in "Esperanto"?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)