|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Magic," what object was tapping on the window?
(a) A tree branch.
(b) A cat.
(c) A bird.
(d) A stick.
2. What did the narrator call "precious things" in "Esperanto"?
(a) Civilian clothing.
(b) Pea coats.
(c) Felt boots.
(d) Convict clothing.
3. From where did the new group of prisoners come from? ("Magic.")
(d) St. Petersburg.
4. According to Golubev's boss in "Magic," who are all of the carpenters?
(a) The peasants.
(b) Those with bruised hands.
(c) Those with stitches on their arms.
(d) The men with belts.
5. What did the orderly tell the narrator to bring back from Romanov's home? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) A piece of meat.
(b) A coat.
(c) A smoke.
(d) A beer.
6. What did the narrator state was worse than criminals who robbed him? ("Esperanto.")
(a) The food.
(b) The guards.
(c) The government.
7. Before 1938, according to "Land-Lease," what was used to move logs?
8. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
(a) The bathhouse.
(b) The supply room.
(c) The guardhouse.
(d) The office of the chief.
9. What number gang was the director questioning in "The Injector"?
10. What color was the notebook that the men found in "A Child's Drawing"?
11. What month was it in the opening of "My First Tooth"?
12. What did the narrator not fear being stolen from him in "The Train"?
13. What equipment arrived from America and, therefore, convicts learned a new word?
(c) Front-end loader.
14. In the notebook in "A Child's Drawings", what were all the houses surrounded by?
15. Stories of what bridge made Golubev's boss ecstatic? ("Magic.")
(a) Eads Bridge.
(b) Brooklyn Bridge.
(c) Storbaelt Bridge.
(d) Golden Gate Bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the window in the basement broken? ("My First Tooth.")
2. According to "The Lawyers' Plot," how many paths led out of the mine?
3. What were contained in the "magical jars" in the story "Land-Lease"?
4. What did Golubev's boss rely on to choose workers to stay at his camp?( "Magic.")
5. What book set did the narrator plan on buying once he reached Moscow? ("The Train.")
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)