|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where did the new group of prisoners come from? ("Magic.")
(d) St. Petersburg.
2. On the train, in "The Train," what did the narrator state was his first happiness?
3. What was the name of Golubev's boss in "Magic"?
4. What time was the narrator to go see Romanov in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
5. What did the narrator not fear being stolen from him in "The Train"?
6. What was being performed in the camp in "Esperanto"?
(b) "The Tempest."
(c) "A Fig Branch."
7. According to Golubev's boss in "Magic," who are all of the carpenters?
(a) Those with bruised hands.
(b) The peasants.
(c) The men with belts.
(d) Those with stitches on their arms.
8. What book set did the narrator plan on buying once he reached Moscow? ("The Train.")
(a) "The Complete Works of Shakespeare."
(b) "History of Russia."
(c) "History of WWI."
(d) "The Complete Works of Walt Whitman."
9. What did the man who asked the narrator for help, in carrying his baskets to the scales, have in his baskets? ("The Train.")
(a) Sunflower seeds.
10. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
(a) The train whistle.
(c) Soft voices.
(d) Russian music.
11. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
12. What day was it during "Chief of Political Control"?
13. In 1939, what quarantine had the narrator and five others endured? ("Esperanto.")
(c) The plague.
14. What job did Skoroseev volunteer to do since no one else could or would? ("Esperanto.")
(a) Go out into the blizzard for supplies.
(b) Shoe a horse.
(c) Murder the chief.
(d) Butcher a horse.
15. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
(a) The bathhouse.
(b) The guardhouse.
(c) The supply room.
(d) The office of the chief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, upon growing up, "created many bright birds"? ("A Child's Drawing.")
2. What were "unfortunate ones" made to think that machine grease was? ("Land-Lease.")
3. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
4. Stories of what bridge made Golubev's boss ecstatic? ("Magic.")
5. What did Nikishov claim was different about Kolyma? ("Chief of Political Control.")
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)