|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much oatmeal did the convicts receive in their portions? ("Land-Lease")
(a) One cup.
(b) 1 tablespoon.
(c) Half a cup.
(d) 2 tablespoons.
2. According to "The Lawyers' Plot," how many paths led out of the mine?
3. What color armbands did the military patrol wear at the train station? ("The Train.")
4. Stories of what bridge made Golubev's boss ecstatic? ("Magic.")
(a) Golden Gate Bridge.
(b) Storbaelt Bridge.
(c) Brooklyn Bridge.
(d) Eads Bridge.
5. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
(a) A siren.
(b) An alarm.
(c) A phone call.
(d) A bell.
6. According to the narrator in "My First Tooth," why is writing something down the best thing to do?
(a) Then you can forget.
(b) Then it can be published.
(c) Then it can be verified.
(d) Then others can read your story.
7. Before 1938, according to "Land-Lease," what was used to move logs?
8. Who shoved the narrator up against a window in the basement? ("My First Tooth.")
9. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
10. What, in "My First Tooth," was rented to put convicts into?
(a) A private home.
(b) A school.
(c) A mission.
11. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
(a) Silk underwear.
(b) Cotton underwear.
(c) Linen underwear.
(d) Knit underwear.
12. In 1939, what quarantine had the narrator and five others endured? ("Esperanto.")
(d) The plague.
13. What was being performed in the camp in "Esperanto"?
(b) "A Fig Branch."
(d) "The Tempest."
14. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
(a) The bathhouse.
(b) The guardhouse.
(c) The supply room.
(d) The office of the chief.
15. In "Magic," what object was tapping on the window?
(a) A bird.
(b) A stick.
(c) A tree branch.
(d) A cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nikishov claim was different about Kolyma? ("Chief of Political Control.")
2. What did the man who asked the narrator for help, in carrying his baskets to the scales, have in his baskets? ("The Train.")
3. At the end of "The Train," where did the narrator state that he was returning from?
4. On a how many day march were the men in "My First Tooth" on?
5. What did the narrator call "precious things" in "Esperanto"?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)