|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sun had burned the men's faces in "My First Tooth"?
(a) Endergonic sun.
(b) Perihelion sun.
(c) Ural sun.
(d) Aphelion sun.
2. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
(a) A bell.
(b) An alarm.
(c) A phone call.
(d) A siren.
3. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
(a) Russian music.
(c) The train whistle.
(d) Soft voices.
4. Before 1938, according to "Land-Lease," what was used to move logs?
5. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
(a) For both reasons listed.
(b) Because he did not accept bribes.
(c) For none of the reasons listed.
(d) Because he hated drunks.
6. What did the narrator not fear being stolen from him in "The Train"?
7. How much oatmeal did the convicts receive in their portions? ("Land-Lease")
(a) 1 tablespoon.
(b) Half a cup.
(c) One cup.
(d) 2 tablespoons.
8. Who was Golubev's bosses favorite? ("Magic.")
9. What was Romanov's real occupation? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) Nazi informant.
(b) Secret police.
(c) American spy.
(d) Informant for the German Army.
10. What color armbands did the military patrol wear at the train station? ("The Train.")
11. In 1939, what quarantine had the narrator and five others endured? ("Esperanto.")
(d) The plague.
12. What number gang was the director questioning in "The Injector"?
13. What was the hospital director doing with the doctors at the opening of "Chief of Political Control"?
(a) Playing cards.
(b) Complaining about the prisoners.
(c) Playing pool.
(d) Watching a surgery.
14. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
15. What occupation did Golubev's boss ask if any of the new prisoners had held? ("Magic.")
(b) Secret police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month was it in the opening of "My First Tooth"?
2. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
3. What was being performed in the camp in "Esperanto"?
4. Why was the window in the basement broken? ("My First Tooth.")
5. What was the Convict Injector to be replaced with? ("The Injector")
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)