|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
2. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
(a) A siren.
(b) A bell.
(c) A phone call.
(d) An alarm.
3. What did the man who asked the narrator for help, in carrying his baskets to the scales, have in his baskets? ("The Train.")
(a) Sunflower seeds.
4. At the end of "The Train," where did the narrator state that he was returning from?
5. From where did the new group of prisoners come from? ("Magic.")
(b) St. Petersburg.
6. What provided unexpected joy for the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
(a) That others were weaker than he.
(b) That he would never lose his law papers.
(c) That no one knew his name.
(d) That he was able to feel the heat of the stove.
7. How many carpenters were allowed to be retained in "Magic"?
8. What did the narrator say was mixed into the bread that made it "magnificent"? ("Land-Lease.")
9. Where did the convicts spend the night in "My First Tooth"?
(a) A bathhouse.
(b) A police station.
(c) A cave.
(d) A barracks.
10. What did the narrator not fear being stolen from him in "The Train"?
11. At the end of "Esperanto," what did Skoroseev ask of the narrator after he had spent the night in his (Skoroseev's) home?
(a) A smoke.
(b) A meal.
(c) Payment for the night.
(d) A blanket.
12. What was being performed in the camp in "Esperanto"?
(b) "A Fig Branch."
(c) "The Tempest."
13. What was raked into Shemolyov's work gang? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(b) The deformed.
(d) Human rejects.
14. What did Praga, in "Esperanto," do to his clothing?
(a) Burned it.
(b) Traded it for tobacco.
(c) Tore it into rags.
(d) Traded it for extra soup.
15. What, in "Land-Lease," was nicknamed "American honey"?
(a) Condensed milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "My First Tooth," what was written in coal on the walls of the basement?
2. Why was Peter Zayats beaten by the guards in "My First Tooth"?
3. On the train, in "The Train," what did the narrator state was his first happiness?
4. What was the name of the guard with the bright-blue eyes in "My First Tooth"?
5. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)