|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, in the narrator's language, meant "run off at the mouth"? ("Esperanto.")
2. What month was it in the opening of "My First Tooth"?
3. What was Romanov's real occupation? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) Secret police.
(b) American spy.
(c) Nazi informant.
(d) Informant for the German Army.
4. What was the hospital director doing with the doctors at the opening of "Chief of Political Control"?
(a) Playing pool.
(b) Complaining about the prisoners.
(c) Watching a surgery.
(d) Playing cards.
5. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
(b) Soft voices.
(c) The train whistle.
(d) Russian music.
6. Stories of what bridge made Golubev's boss ecstatic? ("Magic.")
(a) Brooklyn Bridge.
(b) Storbaelt Bridge.
(c) Eads Bridge.
(d) Golden Gate Bridge.
7. What did the orderly tell the narrator to bring back from Romanov's home? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) A smoke.
(b) A piece of meat.
(c) A beer.
(d) A coat.
8. Who shoved the narrator up against a window in the basement? ("My First Tooth.")
9. Why was the window in the basement broken? ("My First Tooth.")
(a) To get snow to melt to drink.
(b) To try to escape.
(c) To get fresh air.
(d) To throw out the dead bodies.
10. What was being yelled as Peter Zayats was thrown out of the shelter and into the snow? ("My First Tooth.")
11. What provided unexpected joy for the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
(a) That others were weaker than he.
(b) That he was able to feel the heat of the stove.
(c) That he would never lose his law papers.
(d) That no one knew his name.
12. Why had the lawyers in "The Lawyers' Plot" been taken to the House of Vaskov?
(a) To be sentenced.
(b) To be shot.
(c) To be released.
(d) To have a last meal.
13. What did the man who asked the narrator for help, in carrying his baskets to the scales, have in his baskets? ("The Train.")
(b) Sunflower seeds.
14. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
(a) Because he did not accept bribes.
(b) Because he hated drunks.
(c) For none of the reasons listed.
(d) For both reasons listed.
15. According to Golubev's boss in "Magic," who are all of the carpenters?
(a) Those with bruised hands.
(b) The men with belts.
(c) The peasants.
(d) Those with stitches on their arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
2. What, in "Land-Lease," was nicknamed "American honey"?
3. Once on the train, who did the narrator find in his seat? ("The Train.")
4. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
5. What did the narrator call "precious things" in "Esperanto"?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)