|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
2. What did the narrator recall had been confiscated in Magadan? ("Esperanto.")
(c) Fur coats.
(d) Fleece coats.
3. What fresh prints were described at the opening of "Land Lease"?
(a) Animal prints.
(b) Tractor prints.
(c) Human footprints.
(d) Plow prints.
4. What was the Convict Injector to be replaced with? ("The Injector")
(b) A new injector.
(c) A civilian employee.
(d) An older injector.
5. What was the name of Golubev's boss in "Magic"?
6. What were contained in the "magical jars" in the story "Land-Lease"?
(b) Vienna Sausages.
7. What had the narrator written complaints about? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) Guard beatings.
(b) Bunk conditions.
(c) Bread rations.
(d) Weather work conditions.
8. What did Praga, in "Esperanto," do to his clothing?
(a) Traded it for tobacco.
(b) Traded it for extra soup.
(c) Tore it into rags.
(d) Burned it.
9. What, in the narrator's language, meant "run off at the mouth"? ("Esperanto.")
10. What did Nikishov claim was different about Kolyma? ("Chief of Political Control.")
(a) Its prisoners.
(b) Its power.
(c) Its strength.
(d) Its morality.
11. What did the chief, in "Chief of Political Control," refuse in place of doing business first?
12. What book set did the narrator plan on buying once he reached Moscow? ("The Train.")
(a) "History of Russia."
(b) "The Complete Works of Walt Whitman."
(c) "History of WWI."
(d) "The Complete Works of Shakespeare."
13. When the name "Skoroseev" was mentioned to the narrator, what did he immediately recall? ("Esperanto.")
(a) The road to Lennigrad.
(b) The road to Tibet.
(c) The road to Siberia.
(d) The road to Moscow.
14. To what director was "The Injector" written to?
(a) The Director of Supplies.
(b) The Director of Mines.
(c) The Director of Incoming Prisoners.
(d) The Director of Munitions.
15. What did the narrator state was worse than criminals who robbed him? ("Esperanto.")
(a) The guards.
(c) The government.
(d) The food.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator in "My First Tooth," why is writing something down the best thing to do?
2. According to Golubev's boss in "Magic," who are all of the carpenters?
3. What did the narrator not fear being stolen from him in "The Train"?
4. What color armbands did the military patrol wear at the train station? ("The Train.")
5. How many years of his life was the narrator ready to forget? ("The Train.")
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)