|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the guard with the bright-blue eyes in "My First Tooth"?
2. What was being yelled as Peter Zayats was thrown out of the shelter and into the snow? ("My First Tooth.")
3. According to Golubev's boss in "Magic," who are all of the carpenters?
(a) The peasants.
(b) Those with stitches on their arms.
(c) Those with bruised hands.
(d) The men with belts.
4. How many mechanics were allowed to be retained in "Magic"?
5. What train station was the location of "The Train" ?
6. What did the chief, in "Chief of Political Control," refuse in place of doing business first?
7. Who was Golubev's bosses favorite? ("Magic.")
8. What fresh prints were described at the opening of "Land Lease"?
(a) Tractor prints.
(b) Plow prints.
(c) Human footprints.
(d) Animal prints.
9. Where did the convicts spend the night in "My First Tooth"?
(a) A barracks.
(b) A police station.
(c) A cave.
(d) A bathhouse.
10. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
11. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
(a) The office of the chief.
(b) The bathhouse.
(c) The guardhouse.
(d) The supply room.
12. In the notebook in "A Child's Drawings", what were all the houses surrounded by?
13. In 1939, what quarantine had the narrator and five others endured? ("Esperanto.")
(d) The plague.
14. How long had the bodies been in the mass grave? ("Land-Lease.")
(a) Since 1938.
(b) Since 1947.
(c) Since 1902.
(d) Since 1894.
15. On the train, in "The Train," what did the narrator state was his first happiness?
Short Answer Questions
1. What month was it in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
2. Who, upon growing up, "created many bright birds"? ("A Child's Drawing.")
3. How much oatmeal did the convicts receive in their portions? ("Land-Lease")
4. What did the narrator say was mixed into the bread that made it "magnificent"? ("Land-Lease.")
5. How many years of his life was the narrator ready to forget? ("The Train.")
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)