|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did Skoroseev volunteer to do since no one else could or would? ("Esperanto.")
(a) Go out into the blizzard for supplies.
(b) Murder the chief.
(c) Butcher a horse.
(d) Shoe a horse.
2. According to Golubev's boss in "Magic," who are all of the carpenters?
(a) Those with bruised hands.
(b) The men with belts.
(c) Those with stitches on their arms.
(d) The peasants.
3. To what director was "The Injector" written to?
(a) The Director of Munitions.
(b) The Director of Supplies.
(c) The Director of Incoming Prisoners.
(d) The Director of Mines.
4. How much oatmeal did the convicts receive in their portions? ("Land-Lease")
(a) Half a cup.
(b) One cup.
(c) 2 tablespoons.
(d) 1 tablespoon.
5. In "My First Tooth," what was written in coal on the walls of the basement?
(a) "Do not give up!"
(b) "Do not give up your humanity!"
(c) "Remember your wives!"
(d) "Comrades, be strong!"
6. What was the Convict Injector to be replaced with? ("The Injector")
(b) An older injector.
(c) A new injector.
(d) A civilian employee.
7. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
8. Where did the convicts spend the night in "My First Tooth"?
(a) A cave.
(b) A bathhouse.
(c) A barracks.
(d) A police station.
9. What did the narrator call "precious things" in "Esperanto"?
(a) Felt boots.
(b) Civilian clothing.
(c) Convict clothing.
(d) Pea coats.
10. What month was it in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
11. What, in "Land-Lease," was nicknamed "American honey"?
(c) Condensed milk.
12. What did Nikishov claim was different about Kolyma? ("Chief of Political Control.")
(a) Its prisoners.
(b) Its strength.
(c) Its morality.
(d) Its power.
13. What sun had burned the men's faces in "My First Tooth"?
(a) Perihelion sun.
(b) Ural sun.
(c) Endergonic sun.
(d) Aphelion sun.
14. What provided unexpected joy for the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
(a) That he would never lose his law papers.
(b) That others were weaker than he.
(c) That he was able to feel the heat of the stove.
(d) That no one knew his name.
15. According to the narrator in "My First Tooth," why is writing something down the best thing to do?
(a) Then it can be verified.
(b) Then others can read your story.
(c) Then you can forget.
(d) Then it can be published.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many carpenters were allowed to be retained in "Magic"?
2. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
3. In the notebook in "A Child's Drawings", what were all the houses surrounded by?
4. What was the name of the guard with the bright-blue eyes in "My First Tooth"?
5. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)