|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who shoved the narrator up against a window in the basement? ("My First Tooth.")
2. What month was it in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
3. What kind of injection did the chief in "Chief of Political Control" need?
(a) Blood thickener.
4. What was raked into Shemolyov's work gang? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) Human rejects.
(c) The deformed.
5. What time was the narrator to go see Romanov in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
6. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
(a) The bathhouse.
(b) The guardhouse.
(c) The supply room.
(d) The office of the chief.
7. What was the name of Golubev's boss in "Magic"?
8. What did Nikishov claim was different about Kolyma? ("Chief of Political Control.")
(a) Its morality.
(b) Its strength.
(c) Its prisoners.
(d) Its power.
9. According to "The Lawyers' Plot", what does "smertin" mean?
10. Who, upon growing up, "created many bright birds"? ("A Child's Drawing.")
(a) The child.
(b) The narrator's brother.
(d) The narrator.
11. Why had the lawyers in "The Lawyers' Plot" been taken to the House of Vaskov?
(a) To be shot.
(b) To have a last meal.
(c) To be sentenced.
(d) To be released.
12. What, in "Land-Lease," was nicknamed "American honey"?
(b) Condensed milk.
13. What month was it in the opening of "My First Tooth"?
14. What did Praga, in "Esperanto," do to his clothing?
(a) Burned it.
(b) Traded it for tobacco.
(c) Tore it into rags.
(d) Traded it for extra soup.
15. According to "The Lawyers' Plot," how many paths led out of the mine?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator recall had been confiscated in Magadan? ("Esperanto.")
2. Who reminded the narrator of "Esperanto"?
3. What day was it during "Chief of Political Control"?
4. According to Golubev's boss in "Magic," who are all of the carpenters?
5. How many mechanics were allowed to be retained in "Magic"?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)