|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once on the train, who did the narrator find in his seat? ("The Train.")
(a) A pregnant woman.
(b) A drunk lieutenant.
(c) A child.
(d) A prostitute.
2. According to "The Lawyers' Plot," how many paths led out of the mine?
3. What did Praga, in "Esperanto," do to his clothing?
(a) Burned it.
(b) Traded it for extra soup.
(c) Tore it into rags.
(d) Traded it for tobacco.
4. To what director was "The Injector" written to?
(a) The Director of Incoming Prisoners.
(b) The Director of Munitions.
(c) The Director of Supplies.
(d) The Director of Mines.
5. On the train, in "The Train," what did the narrator state was his first happiness?
6. What train station was the location of "The Train" ?
7. What provided unexpected joy for the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
(a) That he was able to feel the heat of the stove.
(b) That no one knew his name.
(c) That he would never lose his law papers.
(d) That others were weaker than he.
8. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
9. What color was the notebook that the men found in "A Child's Drawing"?
10. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
(a) Because he did not accept bribes.
(b) For both reasons listed.
(c) For none of the reasons listed.
(d) Because he hated drunks.
11. Stories of what bridge made Golubev's boss ecstatic? ("Magic.")
(a) Storbaelt Bridge.
(b) Brooklyn Bridge.
(c) Eads Bridge.
(d) Golden Gate Bridge.
12. At the end of "The Train," where did the narrator state that he was returning from?
13. What did the man who asked the narrator for help, in carrying his baskets to the scales, have in his baskets? ("The Train.")
(b) Sunflower seeds.
14. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
(a) Knit underwear.
(b) Cotton underwear.
(c) Linen underwear.
(d) Silk underwear.
15. Why had the lawyers in "The Lawyers' Plot" been taken to the House of Vaskov?
(a) To be released.
(b) To be shot.
(c) To be sentenced.
(d) To have a last meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Golubev's boss rely on to choose workers to stay at his camp?( "Magic.")
2. What position was Skoroseev given in "Esperanto."?
3. What had the narrator written complaints about? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
4. Who was Golubev's bosses favorite? ("Magic.")
5. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)