|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
2. What was the Convict Injector to be replaced with? ("The Injector")
(a) A new injector.
(b) An older injector.
(c) A civilian employee.
3. In what year was the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot" born?
4. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
(a) The train whistle.
(c) Russian music.
(d) Soft voices.
5. What did the narrator call "precious things" in "Esperanto"?
(a) Pea coats.
(b) Felt boots.
(c) Civilian clothing.
(d) Convict clothing.
6. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
(a) Silk underwear.
(b) Linen underwear.
(c) Cotton underwear.
(d) Knit underwear.
7. On a how many day march were the men in "My First Tooth" on?
(a) 10 day.
(b) 9 day.
(c) 5 day.
(d) 14 day.
8. Who, upon growing up, "created many bright birds"? ("A Child's Drawing.")
(a) The child.
(c) The narrator's brother.
(d) The narrator.
9. What did the narrator recall had been confiscated in Magadan? ("Esperanto.")
(a) Fleece coats.
(d) Fur coats.
10. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
11. What color armbands did the military patrol wear at the train station? ("The Train.")
12. What was the hospital director doing with the doctors at the opening of "Chief of Political Control"?
(a) Playing cards.
(b) Playing pool.
(c) Watching a surgery.
(d) Complaining about the prisoners.
13. What did Praga, in "Esperanto," do to his clothing?
(a) Tore it into rags.
(b) Burned it.
(c) Traded it for extra soup.
(d) Traded it for tobacco.
14. According to the narrator in "My First Tooth," why is writing something down the best thing to do?
(a) Then you can forget.
(b) Then it can be verified.
(c) Then others can read your story.
(d) Then it can be published.
15. What train station was the location of "The Train" ?
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in "Land-Lease," was nicknamed "American honey"?
2. How many years of his life was the narrator ready to forget? ("The Train.")
3. Who shoved the narrator up against a window in the basement? ("My First Tooth.")
4. What were "unfortunate ones" made to think that machine grease was? ("Land-Lease.")
5. Why was the window in the basement broken? ("My First Tooth.")
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)