|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where did the new group of prisoners come from? ("Magic.")
(a) St. Petersburg.
2. What month was it in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
3. According to "The Lawyers' Plot," how many paths led out of the mine?
4. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
5. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
(a) The bathhouse.
(b) The office of the chief.
(c) The supply room.
(d) The guardhouse.
6. What was the Convict Injector to be replaced with? ("The Injector")
(b) An older injector.
(c) A civilian employee.
(d) A new injector.
7. What provided unexpected joy for the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
(a) That no one knew his name.
(b) That others were weaker than he.
(c) That he would never lose his law papers.
(d) That he was able to feel the heat of the stove.
8. In the notebook in "A Child's Drawings", what were all the houses surrounded by?
9. What month was it in the opening of "My First Tooth"?
10. What color was the notebook that the men found in "A Child's Drawing"?
11. What, in "My First Tooth," was rented to put convicts into?
(a) A school.
(b) A mission.
(d) A private home.
12. How long had the bodies been in the mass grave? ("Land-Lease.")
(a) Since 1938.
(b) Since 1894.
(c) Since 1947.
(d) Since 1902.
13. Once on the train, who did the narrator find in his seat? ("The Train.")
(a) A drunk lieutenant.
(b) A pregnant woman.
(c) A child.
(d) A prostitute.
14. According to Golubev's boss in "Magic," who are all of the carpenters?
(a) Those with bruised hands.
(b) Those with stitches on their arms.
(c) The men with belts.
(d) The peasants.
15. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
(a) Because he hated drunks.
(b) For none of the reasons listed.
(c) Because he did not accept bribes.
(d) For both reasons listed.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator in "My First Tooth," why is writing something down the best thing to do?
2. Who shoved the narrator up against a window in the basement? ("My First Tooth.")
3. Why was Peter Zayats beaten by the guards in "My First Tooth"?
4. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
5. On the train, in "The Train," what did the narrator state was his first happiness?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)