|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
(a) Because he hated drunks.
(b) Because he did not accept bribes.
(c) For both reasons listed.
(d) For none of the reasons listed.
2. How many years of his life was the narrator ready to forget? ("The Train.")
3. What number gang was the director questioning in "The Injector"?
4. What were "unfortunate ones" made to think that machine grease was? ("Land-Lease.")
(a) Warmed coal.
(b) Medicinal ointment.
5. What month was it in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
6. According to "The Lawyers' Plot", what does "smertin" mean?
7. What did the Diamond trucks and Studebakers haul along the roads in Kolyma? ("Land-Lease.")
8. What was the name of Golubev's boss in "Magic"?
9. What had the narrator written complaints about? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) Guard beatings.
(b) Bread rations.
(c) Bunk conditions.
(d) Weather work conditions.
10. In 1939, what quarantine had the narrator and five others endured? ("Esperanto.")
(b) The plague.
11. What did the narrator say was mixed into the bread that made it "magnificent"? ("Land-Lease.")
12. What did the man who asked the narrator for help, in carrying his baskets to the scales, have in his baskets? ("The Train.")
(d) Sunflower seeds.
13. To what director was "The Injector" written to?
(a) The Director of Mines.
(b) The Director of Munitions.
(c) The Director of Incoming Prisoners.
(d) The Director of Supplies.
14. Stories of what bridge made Golubev's boss ecstatic? ("Magic.")
(a) Golden Gate Bridge.
(b) Eads Bridge.
(c) Brooklyn Bridge.
(d) Storbaelt Bridge.
15. What was being yelled as Peter Zayats was thrown out of the shelter and into the snow? ("My First Tooth.")
Short Answer Questions
1. What was told, at the end of "The Lawyers' Plot", had happened to Rebrov?
2. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
3. What color armbands did the military patrol wear at the train station? ("The Train.")
4. In the notebook in "A Child's Drawings", what were all the houses surrounded by?
5. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)