|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the hospital director doing with the doctors at the opening of "Chief of Political Control"?
(a) Playing cards.
(b) Watching a surgery.
(c) Playing pool.
(d) Complaining about the prisoners.
2. What were "unfortunate ones" made to think that machine grease was? ("Land-Lease.")
(b) Medicinal ointment.
(d) Warmed coal.
3. What kind of injection did the chief in "Chief of Political Control" need?
(d) Blood thickener.
4. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
(a) Russian music.
(b) Soft voices.
(c) The train whistle.
5. What, in the narrator's language, meant "run off at the mouth"? ("Esperanto.")
6. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
7. To what director was "The Injector" written to?
(a) The Director of Supplies.
(b) The Director of Munitions.
(c) The Director of Incoming Prisoners.
(d) The Director of Mines.
8. What number gang was the director questioning in "The Injector"?
9. On a how many day march were the men in "My First Tooth" on?
(a) 10 day.
(b) 9 day.
(c) 5 day.
(d) 14 day.
10. What was being yelled as Peter Zayats was thrown out of the shelter and into the snow? ("My First Tooth.")
11. What month was it in the opening of "My First Tooth"?
12. What did the narrator recall had been confiscated in Magadan? ("Esperanto.")
(a) Fleece coats.
(d) Fur coats.
13. What was the name of the guard with the bright-blue eyes in "My First Tooth"?
14. Once on the train, who did the narrator find in his seat? ("The Train.")
(a) A child.
(b) A pregnant woman.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A drunk lieutenant.
15. What were contained in the "magical jars" in the story "Land-Lease"?
(b) Vienna Sausages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
2. Why was the window in the basement broken? ("My First Tooth.")
3. In "My First Tooth," what was written in coal on the walls of the basement?
4. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
5. What book set did the narrator plan on buying once he reached Moscow? ("The Train.")
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)