|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator say was mixed into the bread that made it "magnificent"? ("Land-Lease.")
2. Who reminded the narrator of "Esperanto"?
(a) A guard.
(b) A wandering actor.
(c) A dying convict.
(d) An escaping convict.
3. According to Golubev's boss in "Magic," who are all of the carpenters?
(a) Those with bruised hands.
(b) Those with stitches on their arms.
(c) The men with belts.
(d) The peasants.
4. Once on the train, who did the narrator find in his seat? ("The Train.")
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A drunk lieutenant.
(c) A pregnant woman.
(d) A child.
5. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
(a) The supply room.
(b) The office of the chief.
(c) The guardhouse.
(d) The bathhouse.
6. Before 1938, according to "Land-Lease," what was used to move logs?
7. What provided unexpected joy for the narrator in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
(a) That he was able to feel the heat of the stove.
(b) That he would never lose his law papers.
(c) That others were weaker than he.
(d) That no one knew his name.
8. What month was it in the opening of "My First Tooth"?
9. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
(a) An alarm.
(b) A siren.
(c) A bell.
(d) A phone call.
10. To what director was "The Injector" written to?
(a) The Director of Incoming Prisoners.
(b) The Director of Supplies.
(c) The Director of Mines.
(d) The Director of Munitions.
11. What train station was the location of "The Train" ?
12. Why had the lawyers in "The Lawyers' Plot" been taken to the House of Vaskov?
(a) To be shot.
(b) To be sentenced.
(c) To be released.
(d) To have a last meal.
13. How many carpenters were allowed to be retained in "Magic"?
14. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
15. What occupation did Golubev's boss ask if any of the new prisoners had held? ("Magic.")
(a) Secret police.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the name "Skoroseev" was mentioned to the narrator, what did he immediately recall? ("Esperanto.")
2. In "My First Tooth," what was written in coal on the walls of the basement?
3. Where did the convicts spend the night in "My First Tooth"?
4. What had the narrator written complaints about? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
5. On the train, in "The Train," what did the narrator state was his first happiness?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)