|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of "Esperanto," what did Skoroseev ask of the narrator after he had spent the night in his (Skoroseev's) home?
(a) Payment for the night.
(b) A meal.
(c) A smoke.
(d) A blanket.
2. What occupation did Golubev's boss ask if any of the new prisoners had held? ("Magic.")
(b) Secret police.
3. What did the narrator state was worse than criminals who robbed him? ("Esperanto.")
(b) The government.
(c) The guards.
(d) The food.
4. What did the narrator not fear being stolen from him in "The Train"?
5. What was the name of the guard with the bright-blue eyes in "My First Tooth"?
6. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
(a) Knit underwear.
(b) Cotton underwear.
(c) Linen underwear.
(d) Silk underwear.
7. What, in "Land-Lease," was nicknamed "American honey"?
(d) Condensed milk.
8. What did Nikishov claim was different about Kolyma? ("Chief of Political Control.")
(a) Its morality.
(b) Its strength.
(c) Its prisoners.
(d) Its power.
9. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
(a) Russian music.
(c) The train whistle.
(d) Soft voices.
10. What, in "Chief of Political Control," was summoning the hospital director?
(a) A bell.
(b) A siren.
(c) An alarm.
(d) A phone call.
11. In "Magic," what object was tapping on the window?
(a) A bird.
(b) A tree branch.
(c) A stick.
(d) A cat.
12. Stories of what bridge made Golubev's boss ecstatic? ("Magic.")
(a) Storbaelt Bridge.
(b) Eads Bridge.
(c) Brooklyn Bridge.
(d) Golden Gate Bridge.
13. Before 1938, according to "Land-Lease," what was used to move logs?
14. According to "The Lawyers' Plot", what does "smertin" mean?
15. What was the name of Golubev's boss in "Magic"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "My First Tooth," what was written in coal on the walls of the basement?
2. Why was Peter Zayats beaten by the guards in "My First Tooth"?
3. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
4. What equipment arrived from America and, therefore, convicts learned a new word?
5. What was being performed in the camp in "Esperanto"?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)