|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Golubev's boss in "Magic"?
2. What train station was the location of "The Train" ?
3. What book set did the narrator plan on buying once he reached Moscow? ("The Train.")
(a) "History of Russia."
(b) "The Complete Works of Shakespeare."
(c) "The Complete Works of Walt Whitman."
(d) "History of WWI."
4. What color armbands did the military patrol wear at the train station? ("The Train.")
5. According to "The Lawyers' Plot", what does "smertin" mean?
6. What did the narrator recall had been confiscated in Magadan? ("Esperanto.")
(a) Fur coats.
(c) Fleece coats.
7. Who, upon growing up, "created many bright birds"? ("A Child's Drawing.")
(b) The child.
(c) The narrator's brother.
(d) The narrator.
8. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
(a) For both reasons listed.
(b) Because he hated drunks.
(c) Because he did not accept bribes.
(d) For none of the reasons listed.
9. What was Romanov's real occupation? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) Secret police.
(b) Nazi informant.
(c) American spy.
(d) Informant for the German Army.
10. What kind of underwear had the narrator not worn in years? ("The Train.")
(a) Linen underwear.
(b) Silk underwear.
(c) Knit underwear.
(d) Cotton underwear.
11. What did the narrator state was worse than criminals who robbed him? ("Esperanto.")
(b) The government.
(c) The guards.
(d) The food.
12. In the notebook in "A Child's Drawings", what were all the houses surrounded by?
13. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
14. What were contained in the "magical jars" in the story "Land-Lease"?
(d) Vienna Sausages.
15. What, in "My First Tooth," was rented to put convicts into?
(a) A school.
(b) A mission.
(c) A private home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Skoroseev volunteer to do since no one else could or would? ("Esperanto.")
2. On a how many day march were the men in "My First Tooth" on?
3. What, in the narrator's language, meant "run off at the mouth"? ("Esperanto.")
4. At the end of "Esperanto," what did Skoroseev ask of the narrator after he had spent the night in his (Skoroseev's) home?
5. To what director was "The Injector" written to?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)