|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much oatmeal did the convicts receive in their portions? ("Land-Lease")
(a) One cup.
(b) Half a cup.
(c) 1 tablespoon.
(d) 2 tablespoons.
2. What position was Skoroseev given in "Esperanto."?
(b) Road builder.
(c) Stockroom guard.
3. Where did the convicts spend the night in "My First Tooth"?
(a) A barracks.
(b) A bathhouse.
(c) A cave.
(d) A police station.
4. What did the Diamond trucks and Studebakers haul along the roads in Kolyma? ("Land-Lease.")
5. What time was the narrator to go see Romanov in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
6. Why had the lawyers in "The Lawyers' Plot" been taken to the House of Vaskov?
(a) To have a last meal.
(b) To be sentenced.
(c) To be shot.
(d) To be released.
7. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
8. In "My First Tooth," what was written in coal on the walls of the basement?
(a) "Remember your wives!"
(b) "Do not give up your humanity!"
(c) "Do not give up!"
(d) "Comrades, be strong!"
9. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
(a) The guardhouse.
(b) The supply room.
(c) The bathhouse.
(d) The office of the chief.
10. According to the narrator in "My First Tooth," why is writing something down the best thing to do?
(a) Then it can be published.
(b) Then you can forget.
(c) Then others can read your story.
(d) Then it can be verified.
11. What was Romanov's real occupation? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) Nazi informant.
(b) Secret police.
(c) Informant for the German Army.
(d) American spy.
12. How many years of his life was the narrator ready to forget? ("The Train.")
13. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
14. Once on the train, who did the narrator find in his seat? ("The Train.")
(a) A child.
(b) A pregnant woman.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A drunk lieutenant.
15. What did the man who asked the narrator for help, in carrying his baskets to the scales, have in his baskets? ("The Train.")
(d) Sunflower seeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the window in the basement broken? ("My First Tooth.")
2. What did the narrator not fear being stolen from him in "The Train"?
3. What did the narrator state was worse than criminals who robbed him? ("Esperanto.")
4. At the end of "Esperanto," what did Skoroseev ask of the narrator after he had spent the night in his (Skoroseev's) home?
5. Who was Golubev's bosses favorite? ("Magic.")
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)