|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1939, what quarantine had the narrator and five others endured? ("Esperanto.")
(a) The plague.
2. What did the narrator not fear being stolen from him in "The Train"?
3. What fresh prints were described at the opening of "Land Lease"?
(a) Tractor prints.
(b) Plow prints.
(c) Animal prints.
(d) Human footprints.
4. What, in "Land-Lease," was nicknamed "American honey"?
(c) Condensed milk.
5. What sound did the narrator say was a symbol of the "mainland" for him? ("The Train.")
(a) The train whistle.
(b) Russian music.
(c) Soft voices.
6. Where, in "Magic," was Golubev summoned to?
(a) The supply room.
(b) The guardhouse.
(c) The bathhouse.
(d) The office of the chief.
7. What equipment arrived from America and, therefore, convicts learned a new word?
(b) Front-end loader.
8. What was raked into Shemolyov's work gang? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(b) The deformed.
(c) Human rejects.
9. What was the name of the prisoner who was allowed to drive the tractor? ("Land-Lease.")
10. What was being yelled as Peter Zayats was thrown out of the shelter and into the snow? ("My First Tooth.")
11. Stories of what bridge made Golubev's boss ecstatic? ("Magic.")
(a) Eads Bridge.
(b) Storbaelt Bridge.
(c) Brooklyn Bridge.
(d) Golden Gate Bridge.
12. What was the hospital director doing with the doctors at the opening of "Chief of Political Control"?
(a) Complaining about the prisoners.
(b) Watching a surgery.
(c) Playing pool.
(d) Playing cards.
13. Once on the train, who did the narrator find in his seat? ("The Train.")
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A child.
(c) A pregnant woman.
(d) A drunk lieutenant.
14. What was the Convict Injector to be replaced with? ("The Injector")
(a) A civilian employee.
(c) A new injector.
(d) An older injector.
15. Why did Golubev's boss like him? ("Magic.")
(a) For none of the reasons listed.
(b) Because he did not accept bribes.
(c) For both reasons listed.
(d) Because he hated drunks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the convicts spend the night in "My First Tooth"?
2. How many carpenters were allowed to be retained in "Magic"?
3. What was Romanov's real occupation? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
4. When the name "Skoroseev" was mentioned to the narrator, what did he immediately recall? ("Esperanto.")
5. In Kolyma, what "keeps secrets and reveals them"? ("Land-Lease.")
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)