|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Praga, in "Esperanto," do to his clothing?
(a) Traded it for extra soup.
(b) Traded it for tobacco.
(c) Tore it into rags.
(d) Burned it.
2. What time was the narrator to go see Romanov in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
3. What book set did the narrator plan on buying once he reached Moscow? ("The Train.")
(a) "The Complete Works of Walt Whitman."
(b) "History of WWI."
(c) "The Complete Works of Shakespeare."
(d) "History of Russia."
4. According to "The Lawyers' Plot," how many paths led out of the mine?
5. When the name "Skoroseev" was mentioned to the narrator, what did he immediately recall? ("Esperanto.")
(a) The road to Siberia.
(b) The road to Tibet.
(c) The road to Lennigrad.
(d) The road to Moscow.
6. How much oatmeal did the convicts receive in their portions? ("Land-Lease")
(a) Half a cup.
(b) 1 tablespoon.
(c) One cup.
(d) 2 tablespoons.
7. In "Magic," what object was tapping on the window?
(a) A stick.
(b) A tree branch.
(c) A bird.
(d) A cat.
8. What had the narrator written complaints about? ("The Lawyers' Plot.")
(a) Bunk conditions.
(b) Guard beatings.
(c) Bread rations.
(d) Weather work conditions.
9. What position was Skoroseev given in "Esperanto."?
(a) Stockroom guard.
(d) Road builder.
10. What did the narrator state was worse than criminals who robbed him? ("Esperanto.")
(a) The government.
(b) The food.
(d) The guards.
11. What did the man who asked the narrator for help, in carrying his baskets to the scales, have in his baskets? ("The Train.")
(c) Sunflower seeds.
12. Before 1938, according to "Land-Lease," what was used to move logs?
13. How long had the bodies been in the mass grave? ("Land-Lease.")
(a) Since 1902.
(b) Since 1938.
(c) Since 1947.
(d) Since 1894.
14. Who reminded the narrator of "Esperanto"?
(a) A guard.
(b) A wandering actor.
(c) A dying convict.
(d) An escaping convict.
15. How many carpenters were allowed to be retained in "Magic"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the chief, in "Chief of Political Control," refuse in place of doing business first?
2. What did the Diamond trucks and Studebakers haul along the roads in Kolyma? ("Land-Lease.")
3. What "large village" was the first destination for the narrator in "The Train"?
4. From where did the new group of prisoners come from? ("Magic.")
5. What month was it in "The Lawyers' Plot"?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)