|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the sectarian need his extra portion of food to do? ("Quiet.")
(a) Get a good nights rest.
(b) Find hope in life.
(c) Lok forward to the next day.
(d) Decide to die.
2. What did Pesniakevich's mother own in Minsk? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
(a) A whore-house.
(b) A bookstore.
(c) A laundry.
(d) A coffee shop.
3. What did the narrator say "materialized out of nowhere"? ("Sententious.")
4. In "In The Night," what were Glebov and Bagretsov looking for?
(a) A lost purse.
(b) A bread supply.
(c) A dead body.
(d) A road to escape.
5. What did Bagretsov cut his finger on as he lay on the ground near Glebov?
(a) A branch.
(b) A zipper.
(c) A rock.
(d) A knife.
6. What did Andrei Platonov do prior to being in the camps?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a lawyer.
(c) He was a novelist.
(d) He was a movie scriptwriter.
7. What did Garkunov have under his dirty undershirt?
(a) A flak jacket.
(b) A linen shirt.
(c) A fleece jacket.
(d) A sweater.
8. What was a "kolymka"?
(a) A camp.
(b) A lamp.
(c) A pudding.
(d) A bread.
9. Who was denied hot food for refusing to give up his prosthetic arm?
10. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what did Major Pugachov tell a party boss he was preparing for?
(a) A transfer to another camp.
(b) A trip to the ovens.
(c) A play.
(d) A concert.
11. What did Merzlakov pretend was hurt so that he would not have to return to work?
(a) His leg.
(b) His shoulder.
(c) His back.
(d) His hand.
12. What was the last thing that Golubev said in "A Piece of Meat"?
(a) "Go to hell."
(b) "There is always tomorrow."
(c) "Leave me to die."
(d) "Never again."
13. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what keys did Gorbunov come to the guardhouse to get?
(a) The grain room keys.
(b) The bathhouse keys.
(c) The clothing room keys.
(d) The food storeroom keys.
14. Which of the following instruments were allowed to be used by political prisoners when under the watch of the worst camp heads?
(b) All of those listed.
15. Where were the needles of the dwarf cedar tree taken to?
(a) A "vitamin factory."
(b) The commander's home.
(c) The bathouse.
(d) A work house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the prisoners refuse to eat in the dining hall and take back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
2. What did the narrator claim was the last human emotion? ("Sententious.")
3. From what book were the cards made from that were used in "On Tick"?
4. How many axe handles were the men in "Carpenters" required to make every day?
5. What prints did the men in "Dry Rations" follow to get to the spring?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)