|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator say was the only thing that a prisoner would wash if he were only allotted a spoonful of water to bathe?
(a) His eyes.
(b) His nose.
(c) His ears.
(d) His mouth.
2. What did "Carpenters" state men were not shown?
(a) A thermometer.
(b) The food trucks.
(c) A clock.
(d) Where the blankets were.
3. What did the narrator refuse to give up at the end of "Prosthetic Appliances"?
(a) His leg.
(b) His soul.
(c) His coat.
(d) His hand.
4. What was Glebov's old occupation before being sent to the camps?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A dentist.
(d) A carpenter.
5. What did Fedya call Platonov in "The Snake Charmer"?
6. What did Golubev fake so he would not have to return to work? ("A Piece of Meat")
(a) A broken rib.
(c) A broken back.
(d) Hearing loss.
7. Fedya Shapov had been a member of what league prior to becoming a prisoner?
(a) The Red Power League.
(b) The Youth League of Russia.
(c) The Young Communist League.
(d) The Imperialist League.
8. What did the narrator claim was the farthest thing from envy, fear and bitterness? ("Sententious.")
9. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 6 months.
10. To what Shakespearean character was the taker of "meat" compared?
11. During what months would the dwarf cedar tree rise up from the ground?
(a) September or October.
(b) March or April.
(c) December or January.
(d) April or May.
12. What did Garkunov have under his dirty undershirt?
(a) A linen shirt.
(b) A flak jacket.
(c) A fleece jacket.
(d) A sweater.
13. What work gang was never worried about in regard to running away? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
(a) The mine gang.
(b) The road gang.
(c) The forestry gang.
(d) The bathhouse gang.
14. What did Bagretsov cut his finger on as he lay on the ground near Glebov?
(a) A rock.
(b) A branch.
(c) A zipper.
(d) A knife.
15. What did Pesniakevich's mother own in Minsk? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
(a) A bookstore.
(b) A whore-house.
(c) A coffee shop.
(d) A laundry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was shot in "Quiet"?
2. At the beginning of "In The Night," what had just ended?
3. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what keys did Gorbunov come to the guardhouse to get?
4. Whose job was it to run the bathhouse and disinfect clothes at the work camps?
5. In "On Tick," what did the narrator say was the safest place to be?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)