|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For Potashnikov, how long did his breakfast sustain his work? ("Carpenters.")
(a) 120 minutes.
(b) 150 minutes.
(c) 90 Minutes.
(d) One hour.
2. What did Seva refuse to play cards for? ("On Tick.")
(b) A coat.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A pillow.
3. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 1 year.
4. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim was the first pity to return?
(a) Pity for loved-ones.
(b) Pity for mankind.
(c) Pity for self.
(d) Pity for animals.
5. What article of the Criminal Code defined political prisoners?
6. What did Merzlakov steal when he "miraculously managed" to get a stable-hand job at the camps?
7. From what book were the cards made from that were used in "On Tick"?
(b) A book by Shakespeare.
(c) A bible.
(d) A book by Victor Hugo.
8. Who did Fedya write to at the end of "Dry Rations"?
(a) His wife.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
9. What dessert were the prisoners fed in "Quiet"?
(d) Sugared bread.
10. What appeared on a tree stump at the end of "Sententious"?
(a) A record-player.
(b) A pint of vodka.
(c) A clean pair of underware.
(d) A pouch of tobacco.
11. Whose job was it to run the bathhouse and disinfect clothes at the work camps?
(a) The work-men from the barracks.
(b) The section commanders.
(c) The Bathhouse Squad.
(d) The Sanitation Squad.
12. How many axe handles were the men in "Carpenters" required to make every day?
13. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what keys did Gorbunov come to the guardhouse to get?
(a) The clothing room keys.
(b) The food storeroom keys.
(c) The grain room keys.
(d) The bathhouse keys.
14. How did the narrator, in "Sententious," perceive the tent in which he slept?
(a) As a fog.
(b) As a place of comfort.
(c) As a comfortable bed.
(d) As a gift.
15. In "A Piece of Meat," how did Golubev always sleep?
(a) In his clothes.
(b) With a blanket over his head.
(c) Sitting up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bagretsov cut his finger on as he lay on the ground near Glebov?
2. How many men were standing in the corridor awaiting a strip search? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
3. What did Merzlakov pretend was hurt so that he would not have to return to work?
4. Which of the following instruments were allowed to be used by political prisoners when under the watch of the worst camp heads?
5. In "Quiet," what was concerning to the narrator about the tables in the camp dining room?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)