|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 2 years.
2. Who did Gorbunov kill in "Major Pugachov's Last Battle"?
(a) A man who took his shoes.
(b) A guard.
(c) A man who took his bread.
(d) Another prisoner.
3. What did Garkunov have under his dirty undershirt?
(a) A linen shirt.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A flak jacket.
(d) A fleece jacket.
4. How many parts did the men have to divide their rations into? ("Dry Rations.")
5. What did the prisoners refuse to eat in the dining hall and take back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
6. For Potashnikov, how long did his breakfast sustain his work? ("Carpenters.")
(a) 150 minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) 90 Minutes.
(d) 120 minutes.
7. What did Pesniakevich's mother own in Minsk? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
(a) A coffee shop.
(b) A whore-house.
(c) A laundry.
(d) A bookstore.
8. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim that each day brought?
(a) The urge to escape.
(b) The danger of a "lurch into death."
(c) The renewed hope of life.
(d) The desire to die.
9. In "In the Night," what was Glebov in no hurry to swallow?
10. Which of the following instruments were allowed to be used by political prisoners when under the watch of the worst camp heads?
(d) All of those listed.
11. How many men were standing in the corridor awaiting a strip search? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
12. What had Merzlakov received for breakfast on the morning that he compared humans to livestock?
(a) Three spoonfuls of porridge.
(b) Two eggs.
(c) One slice of bread.
(d) An ounce of milk.
13. What did the narrator refuse to give up at the end of "Prosthetic Appliances"?
(a) His soul.
(b) His hand.
(c) His leg.
(d) His coat.
14. In "On Tick," what did the narrator say was the safest place to be?
(a) The guards' room.
(b) The horse-drivers' barracks.
(c) The food-storage room.
(d) The bathroom.
15. What kind of bird did the narrator say was unafraid of people and could be shot easily? ("Sententious.")
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator always fail to do in time for dinner? ("Sententious.")
2. In "A Piece of Meat," who "offered" a "bloody sacrifice"?
3. What did Seva refuse to play cards for? ("On Tick.")
4. In "Prosthetic Appliances," what would a guard mark a cell with if the cell was not to receive hot food?
5. What appeared on a tree stump at the end of "Sententious"?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)