|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator claim was the last human emotion? ("Sententious.")
2. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 2 years.
3. What story did the men at the fire NOT want to hear Platonov tell? (The Snake Charmer.")
(a) "The Vampire."
(c) "The Club of Black Jacks."
(d) "The Count of Montecristo."
4. What did Golubev fake so he would not have to return to work? ("A Piece of Meat")
(a) A broken back.
(c) A broken rib.
(d) Hearing loss.
5. To what Shakespearean character was the taker of "meat" compared?
6. For Potashnikov, how long did his breakfast sustain his work? ("Carpenters.")
(a) 150 minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) 120 minutes.
(d) 90 Minutes.
7. What did the narrator claim had left all men, in "Dry Rations," because of the long fasts that they suffered through?
(a) All desire to survive.
(b) All will to live.
(c) All human emotions.
(d) All need for food.
8. What had Merzlakov received for breakfast on the morning that he compared humans to livestock?
(a) Three spoonfuls of porridge.
(b) One slice of bread.
(c) Two eggs.
(d) An ounce of milk.
9. What article of the Criminal Code defined political prisoners?
10. Whose job was it to run the bathhouse and disinfect clothes at the work camps?
(a) The section commanders.
(b) The Bathhouse Squad.
(c) The Sanitation Squad.
(d) The work-men from the barracks.
11. In "Prosthetic Appliances," what would a guard mark a cell with if the cell was not to receive bread?
12. Because of the barrenness of the winter, as described in "A Pushover Job," how far could a person be seen from?
(a) 500 feet away.
(b) Half a mile away.
(c) A mile away.
(d) A quarter mile away.
13. What was the last thing that Golubev said in "A Piece of Meat"?
(a) "Never again."
(b) "Leave me to die."
(c) "Go to hell."
(d) "There is always tomorrow."
14. In "A Piece of Meat," who "offered" a "bloody sacrifice"?
15. At the beginning of "In The Night," what had just ended?
(d) Noon tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men were standing in the corridor awaiting a strip search? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
2. What did the narrator claim was the farthest thing from envy, fear and bitterness? ("Sententious.")
3. What was no convict able to have of his own? ("In the Bathhouse.")
4. What did Pesniakevich's mother own in Minsk? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
5. What did Garkunov have under his dirty undershirt?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)