|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Merzlakov steal when he "miraculously managed" to get a stable-hand job at the camps?
2. In "Sententious," how many shotguns were kept in the tent of the narrator?
3. Who did Fedya write to at the end of "Dry Rations"?
(a) His brother.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
4. What did Fedya call Platonov in "The Snake Charmer"?
5. What was Glebov's old occupation before being sent to the camps?
(a) A carpenter.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A dentist.
(d) A doctor.
6. What are the bathhouse sessions referred to in "In the Bathhouse"?
7. In "A Piece of Meat," who "offered" a "bloody sacrifice"?
8. What was the narrator sitting by at the opening of "The Snake Charmer"?
(a) A tree.
(b) A gun.
(c) A fence.
(d) A boulder.
9. What did the narrator say "materialized out of nowhere"? ("Sententious.")
10. From what book were the cards made from that were used in "On Tick"?
(a) A book by Shakespeare.
(b) A bible.
(d) A book by Victor Hugo.
11. Where were the needles of the dwarf cedar tree taken to?
(a) A work house.
(b) The bathouse.
(c) The commander's home.
(d) A "vitamin factory."
12. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim was the first pity to return?
(a) Pity for animals.
(b) Pity for loved-ones.
(c) Pity for self.
(d) Pity for mankind.
13. In "A Piece of Meat," how did Golubev always sleep?
(a) With a blanket over his head.
(b) Sitting up.
(d) In his clothes.
14. What did Seva refuse to play cards for? ("On Tick.")
(a) A coat.
(b) A pillow.
(c) A blanket.
15. Why did Kurchen write his letter with his left hand instead of his right?
(a) He lost his right hand in the ovens.
(b) He was crippled on his right side.
(c) He had been shot in the right shoulder.
(d) His right hand had been burned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the prisoners refuse to eat in the dining hall and take back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
2. What did the narrator refuse to give up at the end of "Prosthetic Appliances"?
3. As told in "In the Bathhouse," how many men are packed into the dressing-rooms of the bathhouse?
4. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what keys did Gorbunov come to the guardhouse to get?
5. During what months would the dwarf cedar tree rise up from the ground?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)