|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Merzlakov received for breakfast on the morning that he compared humans to livestock?
(a) Three spoonfuls of porridge.
(b) One slice of bread.
(c) Two eggs.
(d) An ounce of milk.
2. In "Prosthetic Appliances," what would a guard mark a cell with if the cell was not to receive bread?
3. To whom was "Sententious" dedicated?
(a) Romentz Bulvikov.
(b) Nitkita Drezgrov.
(c) Nadezhda Mandelshtam.
(d) Simon Gradstrom.
4. From what book were the cards made from that were used in "On Tick"?
(a) A bible.
(c) A book by Victor Hugo.
(d) A book by Shakespeare.
5. What did the narrator always fail to do in time for dinner? ("Sententious.")
(a) Make bread.
(b) Change clothes.
(c) Boil water.
6. How many men were standing in the corridor awaiting a strip search? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
7. In "In The Night," what were Glebov and Bagretsov looking for?
(a) A dead body.
(b) A lost purse.
(c) A road to escape.
(d) A bread supply.
8. What did the narrator claim was a "special joy for a convict"? ("Dry Rations")
(a) To eat alone.
(b) To eat with friends.
(c) To prepare food.
(d) To have thick soup.
9. In "In the Night," what was Glebov in no hurry to swallow?
10. Whose job was it to run the bathhouse and disinfect clothes at the work camps?
(a) The Sanitation Squad.
(b) The section commanders.
(c) The Bathhouse Squad.
(d) The work-men from the barracks.
11. What was a "kolymka"?
(a) A pudding.
(b) A lamp.
(c) A bread.
(d) A camp.
12. What did Glebov want at the end of "In the Night"?
(a) A smoke.
(b) A new coat.
(c) A coffee.
(d) A warm meal.
13. How many axe handles were the men in "Carpenters" required to make every day?
14. At the beginning of "In The Night," what had just ended?
(c) Noon tea.
15. In "Carpenters," for how long had the fog been so thick that a man was not able to be seen from "two paces away"?
(b) A month.
(c) 2 days.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was shot in "Quiet"?
2. Why did Kurchen write his letter with his left hand instead of his right?
3. Because of the barrenness of the winter, as described in "A Pushover Job," how far could a person be seen from?
4. What appeared on a tree stump at the end of "Sententious"?
5. What did the narrator claim was the farthest thing from envy, fear and bitterness? ("Sententious.")
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)