|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what book were the cards made from that were used in "On Tick"?
(b) A book by Victor Hugo.
(c) A bible.
(d) A book by Shakespeare.
2. Whose job was it to run the bathhouse and disinfect clothes at the work camps?
(a) The section commanders.
(b) The work-men from the barracks.
(c) The Bathhouse Squad.
(d) The Sanitation Squad.
3. How did the narrator, in "Sententious," perceive the tent in which he slept?
(a) As a place of comfort.
(b) As a fog.
(c) As a comfortable bed.
(d) As a gift.
4. What did the sectarian need his extra portion of food to do? ("Quiet.")
(a) Find hope in life.
(b) Decide to die.
(c) Get a good nights rest.
(d) Lok forward to the next day.
5. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what keys did Gorbunov come to the guardhouse to get?
(a) The grain room keys.
(b) The bathhouse keys.
(c) The clothing room keys.
(d) The food storeroom keys.
6. What did Seva refuse to play cards for? ("On Tick.")
(b) A coat.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A blanket.
7. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim that each day brought?
(a) The renewed hope of life.
(b) The urge to escape.
(c) The desire to die.
(d) The danger of a "lurch into death."
8. What did Fedya call Platonov in "The Snake Charmer"?
9. To whom was "Sententious" dedicated?
(a) Nadezhda Mandelshtam.
(b) Romentz Bulvikov.
(c) Simon Gradstrom.
(d) Nitkita Drezgrov.
10. Where were the needles of the dwarf cedar tree taken to?
(a) The commander's home.
(b) The bathouse.
(c) A work house.
(d) A "vitamin factory."
11. In "Quiet," what was concerning to the narrator about the tables in the camp dining room?
(a) They were broken.
(b) They were full of food.
(c) They were clean.
(d) They were sticky.
12. Who was shot in "Quiet"?
(a) The guard's dog.
(b) The sectarian.
(c) The food server.
(d) The guard.
13. What did Glebov want at the end of "In the Night"?
(a) A new coat.
(b) A coffee.
(c) A warm meal.
(d) A smoke.
14. How many parts did the men have to divide their rations into? ("Dry Rations.")
15. What work gang was never worried about in regard to running away? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
(a) The mine gang.
(b) The bathhouse gang.
(c) The forestry gang.
(d) The road gang.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "In The Night," what were Glebov and Bagretsov looking for?
2. To what Shakespearean character was the taker of "meat" compared?
3. Who did Fedya write to at the end of "Dry Rations"?
4. What did the narrator claim had left all men, in "Dry Rations," because of the long fasts that they suffered through?
5. In "Sententious," how many shotguns were kept in the tent of the narrator?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)