|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Piece of Meat," who "offered" a "bloody sacrifice"?
2. What did the sectarian need his extra portion of food to do? ("Quiet.")
(a) Find hope in life.
(b) Get a good nights rest.
(c) Decide to die.
(d) Lok forward to the next day.
3. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 5 years.
4. What did the narrator claim was "a relative concept"? ("In the Bathhouse")
5. In "Quiet," what was concerning to the narrator about the tables in the camp dining room?
(a) They were sticky.
(b) They were broken.
(c) They were full of food.
(d) They were clean.
6. What appeared on a tree stump at the end of "Sententious"?
(a) A pouch of tobacco.
(b) A clean pair of underware.
(c) A record-player.
(d) A pint of vodka.
7. Because of the barrenness of the winter, as described in "A Pushover Job," how far could a person be seen from?
(a) 500 feet away.
(b) A quarter mile away.
(c) Half a mile away.
(d) A mile away.
8. What did Bagretsov cut his finger on as he lay on the ground near Glebov?
(a) A branch.
(b) A rock.
(c) A knife.
(d) A zipper.
9. Who was shot in "Quiet"?
(a) The sectarian.
(b) The guard.
(c) The guard's dog.
(d) The food server.
10. In "A Piece of Meat," how did Golubev always sleep?
(b) Sitting up.
(c) In his clothes.
(d) With a blanket over his head.
11. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what did Major Pugachov tell a party boss he was preparing for?
(a) A concert.
(b) A play.
(c) A transfer to another camp.
(d) A trip to the ovens.
12. What did Pesniakevich's mother own in Minsk? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
(a) A bookstore.
(b) A coffee shop.
(c) A whore-house.
(d) A laundry.
13. What kind of bird did the narrator say was unafraid of people and could be shot easily? ("Sententious.")
14. What did the narrator claim was a "special joy for a convict"? ("Dry Rations")
(a) To eat with friends.
(b) To eat alone.
(c) To prepare food.
(d) To have thick soup.
15. In "In The Night," what were Glebov and Bagretsov looking for?
(a) A lost purse.
(b) A bread supply.
(c) A road to escape.
(d) A dead body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Golubev fake so he would not have to return to work? ("A Piece of Meat")
2. What was the last thing that Golubev said in "A Piece of Meat"?
3. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim that each day brought?
4. During what months would the dwarf cedar tree rise up from the ground?
5. In "Prosthetic Appliances," what would a guard mark a cell with if the cell was not to receive bread?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)