|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Garkunov at the end of "On Tick"?
(a) He escaped.
(b) He died.
(c) He gave in to the requests.
(d) He fell asleep.
2. In "A Piece of Meat," who "offered" a "bloody sacrifice"?
3. What did "Carpenters" state men were not shown?
(a) Where the blankets were.
(b) A thermometer.
(c) A clock.
(d) The food trucks.
4. What did the narrator say was the only thing that a prisoner would wash if he were only allotted a spoonful of water to bathe?
(a) His nose.
(b) His ears.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His mouth.
5. What dessert were the prisoners fed in "Quiet"?
(d) Sugared bread.
6. How many men were standing in the corridor awaiting a strip search? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
7. What did the narrator claim had left all men, in "Dry Rations," because of the long fasts that they suffered through?
(a) All human emotions.
(b) All need for food.
(c) All will to live.
(d) All desire to survive.
8. What prints did the men in "Dry Rations" follow to get to the spring?
(a) Solider's foot prints.
(b) Wagon prints.
(c) Deer prints.
(d) Tractor prints.
9. In "Carpenters," for how long had the fog been so thick that a man was not able to be seen from "two paces away"?
(a) A month.
(b) One week.
(d) 2 days.
10. From what book were the cards made from that were used in "On Tick"?
(a) A book by Shakespeare.
(b) A bible.
(c) A book by Victor Hugo.
11. Because of the barrenness of the winter, as described in "A Pushover Job," how far could a person be seen from?
(a) A mile away.
(b) 500 feet away.
(c) A quarter mile away.
(d) Half a mile away.
12. What did Merzlakov pretend was hurt so that he would not have to return to work?
(a) His shoulder.
(b) His leg.
(c) His hand.
(d) His back.
13. What appeared on a tree stump at the end of "Sententious"?
(a) A pouch of tobacco.
(b) A clean pair of underware.
(c) A record-player.
(d) A pint of vodka.
14. For Potashnikov, how long did his breakfast sustain his work? ("Carpenters.")
(a) 90 Minutes.
(b) 150 minutes.
(c) One hour.
(d) 120 minutes.
15. How many parts did the men have to divide their rations into? ("Dry Rations.")
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what did Major Pugachov tell a party boss he was preparing for?
2. What was no convict able to have of his own? ("In the Bathhouse.")
3. How many axe handles were the men in "Carpenters" required to make every day?
4. What was Glebov's old occupation before being sent to the camps?
5. To what Shakespearean character was the taker of "meat" compared?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)