|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pesniakevich's mother own in Minsk? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
(a) A laundry.
(b) A coffee shop.
(c) A whore-house.
(d) A bookstore.
2. What did Seva refuse to play cards for? ("On Tick.")
(a) A pillow.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A coat.
3. What did the narrator always fail to do in time for dinner? ("Sententious.")
(a) Change clothes.
(c) Boil water.
(d) Make bread.
4. To whom was "Sententious" dedicated?
(a) Simon Gradstrom.
(b) Nitkita Drezgrov.
(c) Romentz Bulvikov.
(d) Nadezhda Mandelshtam.
5. What did Merzlakov pretend was hurt so that he would not have to return to work?
(a) His back.
(b) His leg.
(c) His hand.
(d) His shoulder.
6. What did the narrator claim was the farthest thing from envy, fear and bitterness? ("Sententious.")
7. For Potashnikov, how long did his breakfast sustain his work? ("Carpenters.")
(a) 90 Minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) 150 minutes.
(d) 120 minutes.
8. In "Sententious," how many shotguns were kept in the tent of the narrator?
9. Why did Kurchen write his letter with his left hand instead of his right?
(a) He had been shot in the right shoulder.
(b) He was crippled on his right side.
(c) He lost his right hand in the ovens.
(d) His right hand had been burned.
10. During what months would the dwarf cedar tree rise up from the ground?
(a) December or January.
(b) March or April.
(c) September or October.
(d) April or May.
11. In "Prosthetic Appliances," what would a guard mark a cell with if the cell was not to receive hot food?
12. What did "Carpenters" state men were not shown?
(a) A thermometer.
(b) Where the blankets were.
(c) A clock.
(d) The food trucks.
13. What did the narrator compare the hills to in "A Pushover Job"?
(a) Loaves of sugar.
(b) Sugar cookies.
(d) Frosted glass.
14. What was the only way that prisoners could stand by the stove in "Quiet"?
(a) To warm their soup.
(b) To dry bread.
(c) To dry their hands.
(d) To dry shoes.
15. What did the narrator say was the only thing that a prisoner would wash if he were only allotted a spoonful of water to bathe?
(a) His eyes.
(b) His ears.
(c) His mouth.
(d) His nose.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parts did the men have to divide their rations into? ("Dry Rations.")
2. What did the narrator claim was the last human emotion? ("Sententious.")
3. In "In the Night," what was Glebov in no hurry to swallow?
4. What did the prisoners refuse to eat in the dining hall and take back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
5. What did the narrator say "materialized out of nowhere"? ("Sententious.")
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)