|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom was "Sententious" dedicated?
(a) Simon Gradstrom.
(b) Nadezhda Mandelshtam.
(c) Romentz Bulvikov.
(d) Nitkita Drezgrov.
2. What had Merzlakov received for breakfast on the morning that he compared humans to livestock?
(a) Three spoonfuls of porridge.
(b) One slice of bread.
(c) Two eggs.
(d) An ounce of milk.
3. What appeared on a tree stump at the end of "Sententious"?
(a) A pouch of tobacco.
(b) A record-player.
(c) A pint of vodka.
(d) A clean pair of underware.
4. What did the narrator claim was the last human emotion? ("Sententious.")
5. What did the narrator claim was "a relative concept"? ("In the Bathhouse")
6. What did the narrator claim was a "special joy for a convict"? ("Dry Rations")
(a) To eat with friends.
(b) To eat alone.
(c) To prepare food.
(d) To have thick soup.
7. Who was shot in "Quiet"?
(a) The food server.
(b) The sectarian.
(c) The guard's dog.
(d) The guard.
8. How many parts did the men have to divide their rations into? ("Dry Rations.")
9. What did Fedya call Platonov in "The Snake Charmer"?
10. For Potashnikov, how long did his breakfast sustain his work? ("Carpenters.")
(a) One hour.
(b) 150 minutes.
(c) 90 Minutes.
(d) 120 minutes.
11. Fedya Shapov had been a member of what league prior to becoming a prisoner?
(a) The Red Power League.
(b) The Young Communist League.
(c) The Youth League of Russia.
(d) The Imperialist League.
12. How many men were standing in the corridor awaiting a strip search? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
13. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what keys did Gorbunov come to the guardhouse to get?
(a) The bathhouse keys.
(b) The food storeroom keys.
(c) The clothing room keys.
(d) The grain room keys.
14. What story did the men at the fire NOT want to hear Platonov tell? (The Snake Charmer.")
(a) "The Club of Black Jacks."
(b) "The Count of Montecristo."
(d) "The Vampire."
15. What work gang was never worried about in regard to running away? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
(a) The road gang.
(b) The forestry gang.
(c) The bathhouse gang.
(d) The mine gang.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Pushover Job," which northern tree did the narrator state that he loved the most?
2. At the beginning of "In The Night," what had just ended?
3. In "Prosthetic Appliances," what would a guard mark a cell with if the cell was not to receive hot food?
4. What did Merzlakov steal when he "miraculously managed" to get a stable-hand job at the camps?
5. What did Andrei Platonov do prior to being in the camps?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)