|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Glebov want at the end of "In the Night"?
(a) A smoke.
(b) A new coat.
(c) A coffee.
(d) A warm meal.
2. Whose job was it to run the bathhouse and disinfect clothes at the work camps?
(a) The Sanitation Squad.
(b) The work-men from the barracks.
(c) The section commanders.
(d) The Bathhouse Squad.
3. What was Glebov's old occupation before being sent to the camps?
(a) A dentist.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A carpenter.
(d) A doctor.
4. What did the two men, from "A Pushover Job," place into the bag of pine needles?
(a) A watch.
(b) A stick.
(c) A stone.
(d) A rabbit.
5. Why did Kurchen write his letter with his left hand instead of his right?
(a) His right hand had been burned.
(b) He was crippled on his right side.
(c) He had been shot in the right shoulder.
(d) He lost his right hand in the ovens.
6. In "A Piece of Meat," how did Golubev always sleep?
(a) With a blanket over his head.
(c) Sitting up.
(d) In his clothes.
7. What was the name of the religious sect spoken about in "Quiet"?
(a) Forever Free.
(b) Hope in God.
(c) Know to Live.
(d) God Knows.
8. What prints did the men in "Dry Rations" follow to get to the spring?
(a) Wagon prints.
(b) Solider's foot prints.
(c) Tractor prints.
(d) Deer prints.
9. What did the narrator say "materialized out of nowhere"? ("Sententious.")
10. As told in "In the Bathhouse," how many men are packed into the dressing-rooms of the bathhouse?
(b) Twenty at a time.
(c) Up to a hundred.
(d) Ten to fifteen.
11. According to Merzlakov, who were the first to die in the camps?
(a) The "starved men."
(b) The "scrawny men."
(c) The "larger men."
(d) The "hungry men."
12. From what book were the cards made from that were used in "On Tick"?
(a) A bible.
(b) A book by Victor Hugo.
(c) A book by Shakespeare.
13. What mountain spring did the narrator and his three companions reach at the beginning of "Dry Rations"?
14. What was the last thing that Golubev said in "A Piece of Meat"?
(a) "There is always tomorrow."
(b) "Leave me to die."
(c) "Never again."
(d) "Go to hell."
15. To what Shakespearean character was the taker of "meat" compared?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim that each day brought?
2. What did the prisoners refuse to eat in the dining hall and take back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
3. What did the sectarian need his extra portion of food to do? ("Quiet.")
4. What did Fedya call Platonov in "The Snake Charmer"?
5. During what months would the dwarf cedar tree rise up from the ground?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)