|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator say was the only thing that a prisoner would wash if he were only allotted a spoonful of water to bathe?
(a) His nose.
(b) His mouth.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His ears.
2. What did the narrator always fail to do in time for dinner? ("Sententious.")
(a) Boil water.
(b) Make bread.
(d) Change clothes.
3. What did the narrator claim was "a relative concept"? ("In the Bathhouse")
4. In "A Piece of Meat," how did Golubev always sleep?
(b) With a blanket over his head.
(c) Sitting up.
(d) In his clothes.
5. In "In the Night," what was Glebov in no hurry to swallow?
6. What did Glebov want at the end of "In the Night"?
(a) A new coat.
(b) A smoke.
(c) A warm meal.
(d) A coffee.
7. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim was the first pity to return?
(a) Pity for loved-ones.
(b) Pity for animals.
(c) Pity for mankind.
(d) Pity for self.
8. Because of the barrenness of the winter, as described in "A Pushover Job," how far could a person be seen from?
(a) A quarter mile away.
(b) 500 feet away.
(c) A mile away.
(d) Half a mile away.
9. What did Seva refuse to play cards for? ("On Tick.")
(a) A coat.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A pillow.
10. In "Shock Therapy," what was described as Merzlakov's former profession?
(a) A grain cutter.
(b) A stable-hand.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A cattle rancher.
11. What are the bathhouse sessions referred to in "In the Bathhouse"?
12. Why did Kurchen write his letter with his left hand instead of his right?
(a) He lost his right hand in the ovens.
(b) His right hand had been burned.
(c) He had been shot in the right shoulder.
(d) He was crippled on his right side.
13. What did the narrator compare the hills to in "A Pushover Job"?
(a) Frosted glass.
(b) Sugar cookies.
(d) Loaves of sugar.
14. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 years.
15. To whom was "Sententious" dedicated?
(a) Simon Gradstrom.
(b) Nitkita Drezgrov.
(c) Romentz Bulvikov.
(d) Nadezhda Mandelshtam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "Carpenters" state men were not shown?
2. In "A Piece of Meat," who "offered" a "bloody sacrifice"?
3. What did Pesniakevich's mother own in Minsk? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
4. What did the narrator claim had left all men, in "Dry Rations," because of the long fasts that they suffered through?
5. What work gang was never worried about in regard to running away? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)