|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Merzlakov, who were the first to die in the camps?
(a) The "larger men."
(b) The "scrawny men."
(c) The "starved men."
(d) The "hungry men."
2. What did the narrator claim was a "special joy for a convict"? ("Dry Rations")
(a) To eat alone.
(b) To have thick soup.
(c) To eat with friends.
(d) To prepare food.
3. In "Prosthetic Appliances," what would a guard mark a cell with if the cell was not to receive hot food?
4. In "A Piece of Meat," who "offered" a "bloody sacrifice"?
5. What prints did the men in "Dry Rations" follow to get to the spring?
(a) Deer prints.
(b) Wagon prints.
(c) Tractor prints.
(d) Solider's foot prints.
6. In "A Piece of Meat," how did Golubev always sleep?
(a) In his clothes.
(b) With a blanket over his head.
(c) Sitting up.
7. What did the narrator always fail to do in time for dinner? ("Sententious.")
(a) Boil water.
(c) Change clothes.
(d) Make bread.
8. What story did the men at the fire NOT want to hear Platonov tell? (The Snake Charmer.")
(a) "The Vampire."
(b) "The Count of Montecristo."
(d) "The Club of Black Jacks."
9. What was the name of the religious sect spoken about in "Quiet"?
(a) Forever Free.
(b) Know to Live.
(c) God Knows.
(d) Hope in God.
10. Who was shot in "Quiet"?
(a) The guard.
(b) The food server.
(c) The sectarian.
(d) The guard's dog.
11. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim that each day brought?
(a) The renewed hope of life.
(b) The urge to escape.
(c) The desire to die.
(d) The danger of a "lurch into death."
12. What did the narrator say "materialized out of nowhere"? ("Sententious.")
13. During what months would the dwarf cedar tree rise up from the ground?
(a) December or January.
(b) March or April.
(c) September or October.
(d) April or May.
14. In "A Pushover Job," which northern tree did the narrator state that he loved the most?
(a) The dwarf pine.
(b) The dwarf cedar.
(c) The giant elm.
(d) The massive oak.
15. Who did Fedya write to at the end of "Dry Rations"?
(a) His mother.
(b) His wife.
(c) His brother.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what did Major Pugachov tell a party boss he was preparing for?
2. What did the narrator say that he refused to listen to? ("Sententious.")
3. What was the last thing that Golubev said in "A Piece of Meat"?
4. In "Quiet," what was concerning to the narrator about the tables in the camp dining room?
5. What kind of bird did the narrator say was unafraid of people and could be shot easily? ("Sententious.")
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)