|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Merzlakov steal when he "miraculously managed" to get a stable-hand job at the camps?
2. What work gang was never worried about in regard to running away? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
(a) The road gang.
(b) The mine gang.
(c) The forestry gang.
(d) The bathhouse gang.
3. What did the narrator claim had left all men, in "Dry Rations," because of the long fasts that they suffered through?
(a) All human emotions.
(b) All will to live.
(c) All need for food.
(d) All desire to survive.
4. Why did Kurchen write his letter with his left hand instead of his right?
(a) He was crippled on his right side.
(b) His right hand had been burned.
(c) He lost his right hand in the ovens.
(d) He had been shot in the right shoulder.
5. What had Merzlakov received for breakfast on the morning that he compared humans to livestock?
(a) Three spoonfuls of porridge.
(b) Two eggs.
(c) One slice of bread.
(d) An ounce of milk.
6. For Potashnikov, how long did his breakfast sustain his work? ("Carpenters.")
(a) 90 Minutes.
(b) 120 minutes.
(c) One hour.
(d) 150 minutes.
7. Because of the barrenness of the winter, as described in "A Pushover Job," how far could a person be seen from?
(a) Half a mile away.
(b) 500 feet away.
(c) A quarter mile away.
(d) A mile away.
8. From what book were the cards made from that were used in "On Tick"?
(b) A bible.
(c) A book by Victor Hugo.
(d) A book by Shakespeare.
9. In "In The Night," what were Glebov and Bagretsov looking for?
(a) A bread supply.
(b) A dead body.
(c) A lost purse.
(d) A road to escape.
10. To what Shakespearean character was the taker of "meat" compared?
11. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 1 year.
12. In "Carpenters," for how long had the fog been so thick that a man was not able to be seen from "two paces away"?
(a) 2 days.
(b) One week.
(d) A month.
13. What did Garkunov have under his dirty undershirt?
(a) A linen shirt.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A flak jacket.
(d) A fleece jacket.
14. Whose job was it to run the bathhouse and disinfect clothes at the work camps?
(a) The section commanders.
(b) The Bathhouse Squad.
(c) The Sanitation Squad.
(d) The work-men from the barracks.
15. What was no convict able to have of his own? ("In the Bathhouse.")
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator claim was the farthest thing from envy, fear and bitterness? ("Sententious.")
2. What did the narrator claim was the last human emotion? ("Sententious.")
3. To whom was "Sententious" dedicated?
4. How many men were standing in the corridor awaiting a strip search? ("Prosthetic Appliances.")
5. What dessert were the prisoners fed in "Quiet"?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)