|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what Shakespearean character was the taker of "meat" compared?
2. How long had Merzlakov been in the camp (according to "Shock Therapy")?
(a) Six days.
(b) A year and a half.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
3. In "In The Night," what were Glebov and Bagretsov looking for?
(a) A dead body.
(b) A bread supply.
(c) A road to escape.
(d) A lost purse.
4. Whose job was it to run the bathhouse and disinfect clothes at the work camps?
(a) The work-men from the barracks.
(b) The section commanders.
(c) The Sanitation Squad.
(d) The Bathhouse Squad.
5. According to Merzlakov, who were the first to die in the camps?
(a) The "scrawny men."
(b) The "hungry men."
(c) The "larger men."
(d) The "starved men."
6. In "A Piece of Meat," how did Golubev always sleep?
(a) With a blanket over his head.
(b) Sitting up.
(c) In his clothes.
7. What dessert were the prisoners fed in "Quiet"?
(d) Sugared bread.
8. What did the narrator claim was the farthest thing from envy, fear and bitterness? ("Sententious.")
9. What article of the Criminal Code defined political prisoners?
10. From what book were the cards made from that were used in "On Tick"?
(b) A book by Victor Hugo.
(c) A bible.
(d) A book by Shakespeare.
11. In "Quiet," what was concerning to the narrator about the tables in the camp dining room?
(a) They were clean.
(b) They were sticky.
(c) They were broken.
(d) They were full of food.
12. At the beginning of "In The Night," what had just ended?
(b) Noon tea.
13. What was Glebov's old occupation before being sent to the camps?
(a) A dentist.
(b) A carpenter.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A lawyer.
14. What did Andrei Platonov do prior to being in the camps?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a movie scriptwriter.
(c) He was a novelist.
(d) He was a lawyer.
15. What did the narrator say "materialized out of nowhere"? ("Sententious.")
Short Answer Questions
1. What appeared on a tree stump at the end of "Sententious"?
2. What did the narrator, in "Sententious," claim was the first pity to return?
3. What did the narrator always fail to do in time for dinner? ("Sententious.")
4. What did Bagretsov cut his finger on as he lay on the ground near Glebov?
5. What did the narrator refuse to give up at the end of "Prosthetic Appliances"?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)