|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Garkunov have under his dirty undershirt?
(a) A fleece jacket.
(b) A flak jacket.
(c) A linen shirt.
(d) A sweater.
2. In "The Snake Charmer," how long did Platonov say that he had been in Jankhar?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 2 years.
3. What was the narrator sitting by at the opening of "The Snake Charmer"?
(a) A boulder.
(b) A gun.
(c) A tree.
(d) A fence.
4. What dessert were the prisoners fed in "Quiet"?
(a) Sugared bread.
5. What was Glebov's old occupation before being sent to the camps?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A carpenter.
(c) A dentist.
(d) A lawyer.
6. What was the name of the religious sect spoken about in "Quiet"?
(a) Forever Free.
(b) Hope in God.
(c) God Knows.
(d) Know to Live.
7. What did the prisoners refuse to eat in the dining hall and take back to their barracks? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
8. What article of the Criminal Code defined political prisoners?
9. What did the narrator claim was the last human emotion? ("Sententious.")
10. Who did Fedya write to at the end of "Dry Rations"?
(a) His brother.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
11. To what Shakespearean character was the taker of "meat" compared?
12. In "Prosthetic Appliances," what would a guard mark a cell with if the cell was not to receive bread?
13. What work gang was never worried about in regard to running away? ("Major Pugachov's Last Battle.")
(a) The mine gang.
(b) The forestry gang.
(c) The bathhouse gang.
(d) The road gang.
14. What was a "kolymka"?
(a) A pudding.
(b) A camp.
(c) A lamp.
(d) A bread.
15. In "Major Pugachov's Last Battle," what did Major Pugachov tell a party boss he was preparing for?
(a) A concert.
(b) A play.
(c) A transfer to another camp.
(d) A trip to the ovens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator say "materialized out of nowhere"? ("Sententious.")
2. What did Glebov want at the end of "In the Night"?
3. At the beginning of "In The Night," what had just ended?
4. Where were the needles of the dwarf cedar tree taken to?
5. How did the narrator, in "Sententious," perceive the tent in which he slept?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)