|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the middle of what month do K and Sensei return to college in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. To what park do K and Sensei walk from the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. How does Sensei presumably die at the end of the novel?
4. The narrator states in Part II, My Parents and I, “My mother seemed to attach about as much importance to my graduation as she would have done to my” what?
5. How many siblings does Ojosan have in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Sensei go after proposing to marry Ojosan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? What does he think about?
2. What does Sensei make of the difference he finds in his adoptive family when he returns for his third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. How does Sensei know K? How does K defy his parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. What conclusion does Sensei reach at the end of his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. How does Sensei go about getting approval to marry Ojosan? What is the result?
7. What is K’s justification for defying his adoptive parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. How does Sensei’s past, revealed in his final letter, explain his demeanor in the earlier parts of the novel?
9. Why does Soseki’s mother urge Soseki to write to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I?
10. How does Soseki’s father’s health decline as Soseki is preparing to leave for Tokyo in Part II, My Parents and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Shizu, or Sensei’s wife, in the novel. Where is Shizu from? What is her demeanor like? What does Soseki think of Shizu?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolic role that Emperor Meiji plays in Kokoro. What does Meiji represent metaphorically to the characters in the story? How does Meiji’s passing affect Soseki and his family? How does it affect Sensei?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Forward to Kokoro. Who is the translator for the work and what does he write of the language in the novel? What important historical facts are related? Why are they important in understanding Kokoro?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)