|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many siblings does K have in the novel?
2. Where did Sensei attend college?
3. Through the grounds of what temple does Sensei enter the house of Okusan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he was brought up to be what?
5. Sensei says of the financial agreement reached between him and his uncle that he had two options: to accept what was offered, or to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topic causes strife between Sensei and his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. Why does Soseki’s mother urge Soseki to write to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. What is Sensei’s objective in having K live with him? How do Okusan and Ojosan respond to Sensei’s suggestions?
5. Describe the scene when Sensei discovers K’s suicide in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What is Sensei’s emotional response?
6. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
7. What is K’s justification for defying his adoptive parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. How does Sensei know K? How does K defy his parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. Where does Sensei move after severing ties with his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. What are the conflicting objectives presented to Soseki by his mother in Part II, My Parents and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss women’s roles in Japan in 1912. How are the women in the novel depicted in regard to gender roles and subservience to men? How indicative is this illustration to the time period and Japanese culture? What changes were taking place in this regard during the Meiji era?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Kamakura, Japan. How far is Kamakura from Tokyo? When did the Meiji restoration take place and how did it affect Kamakura? What imagery does the narrator use to describe the beach at Kamakura? How populated is this tourist destination?
Essay Topic 3
a. Discuss the plot structure of Kokoro. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does Kokoro compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Soseki’s writing?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)