|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When talking with K after leaving the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, Sensei compares himself to what crouching before a lamb?
2. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “As I look about me, I find that I really have no” what?
3. Sensei has a dining table specially made for Okusan by a furniture maker where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. How many days before the narrator leaves for Tokyo does his father have a fainting spell in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. What is the name of the widow and Sensei’s landlord in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does K’s family dispute conclude in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does K feel about the situation?
2. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
3. How does Sensei’s past, revealed in his final letter, explain his demeanor in the earlier parts of the novel?
4. What conversation does Soseki’s father have with Saku-san in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. What does Soseki’s father say after Soseki’s arrival to cause Soseki to feel remorse in Part II, My Parents and I?
6. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. What is Sensei’s objective in having K live with him? How do Okusan and Ojosan respond to Sensei’s suggestions?
9. Where does K go during his first summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei describe him when the holiday ends?
10. Where does Sensei move after severing ties with his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sensei’s opening words to Soseki in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What does Sensei tell Soseki regarding their previous discussion of trust? How does Sensei explain his lack of correspondence after Soseki’s letter? When does Sensei say he began to respect Soseki?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Soseki’s father in the novel. From what degenerating ailment does Soseki’s father suffer? How does Soseki compare his relationship with his father to his relationship with Sensei?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Sensei in Kokoro. How old is Sensei when Soseki first approaches him? How is Sensei’s demeanor described? What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)