Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase is K particularly interested in when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer from college?
2. What disease killed Sensei’s father?
3. Who was left in charge of Sensei after the death of his parents?
4. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “In those days, such phrases as ‘the age of awakening’ or” what had not yet come into fashion?
5. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he was brought up to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What happens with K’s family during their third summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. Describe the scene when Sensei discovers K’s suicide in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What is Sensei’s emotional response?
5. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. How does Sensei’s past, revealed in his final letter, explain his demeanor in the earlier parts of the novel?
7. Why does Soseki’s mother urge Soseki to write to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I?
8. What are the conflicting objectives presented to Soseki by his mother in Part II, My Parents and I?
9. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
10. How does Soseki’s father greet him when he arrives home in Part II, My Parents and I? What is Soseki’s impression?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Soseki’s studies at the university in Part I: Sensei and I. What is implied as Soseki’s focus of study? Where does he live while in Tokyo? What does Soseki have in common with Sensei regarding his education?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the upbringing of Sensei in the novel. How old was Sensei when his parents died? How did they die? What caused Sensei to lose trust in humanity?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Soseki as the protagonist and narrator of Kokoro. How old is Soseki when the story begins? What attributes does he have? Is the narrator ever addressed by name in the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)