|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does Sensei say of K “described completely his daily life” in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What phrase is K particularly interested in when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer from college?
3. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means asserting opinions in an arrogant manner?
4. The head of the family that was renting a room in the house that Sensei would eventually take was killed in what war, according to Sensei in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. Okusan and Ojosan leave the house to visit relatives where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topic causes strife between Sensei and his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. Describe the scene when Sensei discovers K’s suicide in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What is Sensei’s emotional response?
3. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
4. Why does Soseki’s mother urge Soseki to write to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
6. What does K relate to Sensei of his family dispute and his situation after their third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. What does Sensei make of the difference he finds in his adoptive family when he returns for his third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. Where does K go during his first summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei describe him when the holiday ends?
9. When does Sensei tell Soseki he began to respect him in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. What is revealed in K’s suicide note in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Soseki’s mother in the novel. How old is Soseki’s mother in comparison with her husband? What levity does Soseki lend to his mother’s advice and opinions? How does Soseki’s mother compare with Shizu?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Sensei in Kokoro. How old is Sensei when Soseki first approaches him? How is Sensei’s demeanor described? What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Kamakura, Japan. How far is Kamakura from Tokyo? When did the Meiji restoration take place and how did it affect Kamakura? What imagery does the narrator use to describe the beach at Kamakura? How populated is this tourist destination?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)