|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Okusan takes Sensei out to dinner at a restaurant on what street in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “We are not in Tokyo, you know. Country people are rather” what?
3. Sensei describes walking up the slope of Koishikawa toward what temple in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. Where is K buried in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. What insects does the narrator hear singing outside his window at his family home in Part II, My Parents and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Soseki’s father greet him when he arrives home in Part II, My Parents and I? What is Soseki’s impression?
2. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
4. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. Where does Sensei go after proposing to marry Ojosan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? What does he think about?
6. How does Soseki’s father’s health decline as Soseki is preparing to leave for Tokyo in Part II, My Parents and I?
7. How does Sensei go about getting approval to marry Ojosan? What is the result?
8. What does K relate to Sensei of his family dispute and his situation after their third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. What does Soseki’s father say after Soseki’s arrival to cause Soseki to feel remorse in Part II, My Parents and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of monetary greed in Kokoro. What characters illustrate this theme clearly? How is Sensei’s past affected by greed? What impact did this have on Sensei and his feelings for humanity?
Essay Topic 2
a. Discuss the plot structure of Kokoro. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does Kokoro compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Soseki’s writing?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Sensei in Kokoro. How old is Sensei when Soseki first approaches him? How is Sensei’s demeanor described? What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)