|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After asking for Ojosan’s hand in marriage, where does Sensei leave the house to go in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. Sensei describes walking up the slope of Koishikawa toward what temple in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What refers to the medieval Japanese act of vassals committing ritual suicide upon the death of their lord?
4. How does K earn money to attend college after being disowned by his foster family?
5. What insects does the narrator hear singing outside his window at his family home in Part II, My Parents and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Sensei go after proposing to marry Ojosan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? What does he think about?
2. What is revealed in K’s suicide note in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei react?
3. When does Sensei tell Soseki he began to respect him in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. How does Sensei’s past, revealed in his final letter, explain his demeanor in the earlier parts of the novel?
5. What does Sensei make of the difference he finds in his adoptive family when he returns for his third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. How does Sensei know K? How does K defy his parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
8. What does K relate to Sensei of his family dispute and his situation after their third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. What does Sensei learn of his adoptive father from a friend in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Forward to Kokoro. Who is the translator for the work and what does he write of the language in the novel? What important historical facts are related? Why are they important in understanding Kokoro?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the style and language of the novel. How does the language of Kokoro contribute to the tone of the narrative? What differences can be seen in the ways that Soseki and Sensei communicate verbally?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Soseki’s objectives in seeking out Sensei in Kamakura. What about Sensei appeals to the young man? How does Soseki go about striking up a conversation with Sensei? How does Sensei respond to Soseki’s proposed friendship?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)