|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase is K particularly interested in when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer from college?
2. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “I was like a man who runs to the edge of a cliff, and looking down, sees that the abyss is” what?
3. What phrase does Sensei say of K “described completely his daily life” in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “There are advantages and disadvantages in having one's children” what?
5. With whom has Okusan gone out when Sensei returns home to find Ojosan and K sitting alone in his room together the first time in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Soseki’s family react when news is heard of Emperor Meiji in Part II, My Parents and I?
2. Why does Soseki’s mother urge Soseki to write to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. How does Sensei know K? How does K defy his parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
6. How does Soseki’s father greet him when he arrives home in Part II, My Parents and I? What is Soseki’s impression?
7. What explanation does Sensei give for his lack of earlier response to Soseki’s letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. What conversation does Soseki’s father have with Saku-san in Part II, My Parents and I?
9. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. What happens with K’s family during their third summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Kamakura, Japan. How far is Kamakura from Tokyo? When did the Meiji restoration take place and how did it affect Kamakura? What imagery does the narrator use to describe the beach at Kamakura? How populated is this tourist destination?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss women’s roles in Japan in 1912. How are the women in the novel depicted in regard to gender roles and subservience to men? How indicative is this illustration to the time period and Japanese culture? What changes were taking place in this regard during the Meiji era?
Essay Topic 3
a. Discuss the plot structure of Kokoro. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does Kokoro compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Soseki’s writing?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)