Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase is K particularly interested in when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer from college?
2. What disease killed Sensei’s father?
3. Who was left in charge of Sensei after the death of his parents?
4. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “In those days, such phrases as ‘the age of awakening’ or” what had not yet come into fashion?
5. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he was brought up to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What happens with K’s family during their third summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. Describe the scene when Sensei discovers K’s suicide in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What is Sensei’s emotional response?
5. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. How does Sensei’s past, revealed in his final letter, explain his demeanor in the earlier parts of the novel?
7. Why does Soseki’s mother urge Soseki to write to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I?
8. What are the conflicting objectives presented to Soseki by his mother in Part II, My Parents and I?
9. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
10. How does Soseki’s father greet him when he arrives home in Part II, My Parents and I? What is Soseki’s impression?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Soseki’s father in the novel. From what degenerating ailment does Soseki’s father suffer? How does Soseki compare his relationship with his father to his relationship with Sensei?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Soseki’s letter to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I. Does Soseki expect a response from Sensei? Does Soseki believe Sensei to be capable or willing to help him find employment? How does Soseki feel when he does not receive a reply?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Soseki’s studies at the university in Part I: Sensei and I. What is implied as Soseki’s focus of study? Where does he live while in Tokyo? What does Soseki have in common with Sensei regarding his education?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)