|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the widow and Sensei’s landlord in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. Sensei explains in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that rickshaw wheels then did not have what, as they do now?
3. When did Emperor Meiji die historically?
4. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “We are not in Tokyo, you know. Country people are rather” what?
5. With whom has Okusan gone out when Sensei returns home to find Ojosan and K sitting alone in his room together the first time in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topic causes strife between Sensei and his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
3. What is revealed in K’s suicide note in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei react?
4. How does Soseki’s father greet him when he arrives home in Part II, My Parents and I? What is Soseki’s impression?
5. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
6. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. What conversation does Soseki’s father have with Saku-san in Part II, My Parents and I?
9. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. How does Sensei’s past, revealed in his final letter, explain his demeanor in the earlier parts of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the upbringing of Sensei in the novel. How old was Sensei when his parents died? How did they die? What caused Sensei to lose trust in humanity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of Soseki’s family home in the novel. How far from Tokyo do Soseki’s parents live? How is their home and estate described in the narrative? How does Soseki compare the rural people in his hometown to the people of Tokyo?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Forward to Kokoro. Who is the translator for the work and what does he write of the language in the novel? What important historical facts are related? Why are they important in understanding Kokoro?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)