|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does the narrator use in Part II, My Parents and I, meaning an instance of talkativeness or garrulity?
2. How old was General Nogi when he died?
3. The narrator states in Part II, My Parents and I, “My mother seemed to attach about as much importance to my graduation as she would have done to my” what?
4. When did Emperor Meiji die historically?
5. Sensei tells the narrator in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he wants to reveal his past to the narrator because he is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does K’s family dispute conclude in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does K feel about the situation?
2. What does Sensei make of the difference he finds in his adoptive family when he returns for his third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. How does Soseki’s father’s health decline as Soseki is preparing to leave for Tokyo in Part II, My Parents and I?
4. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
5. What does Soseki’s father say after Soseki’s arrival to cause Soseki to feel remorse in Part II, My Parents and I?
6. What are the conflicting objectives presented to Soseki by his mother in Part II, My Parents and I?
7. What does K relate to Sensei of his family dispute and his situation after their third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. What conversation does Soseki’s father have with Saku-san in Part II, My Parents and I?
9. When does Sensei tell Soseki he began to respect him in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. What is revealed in K’s suicide note in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women’s Roles in Kokoro
a. Discuss the differences and similarities between gender roles in the novel. How do expectations of men and women differ in terms of education, society, and culture?
b. Compare and contrast Shizu and Soseki’s mother in the novel. How does Soseki view his mother’s opinions versus those of Shizu?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Soseki’s objectives in seeking out Sensei in Kamakura. What about Sensei appeals to the young man? How does Soseki go about striking up a conversation with Sensei? How does Sensei respond to Soseki’s proposed friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Soseki’s letter to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I. Does Soseki expect a response from Sensei? Does Soseki believe Sensei to be capable or willing to help him find employment? How does Soseki feel when he does not receive a reply?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)