|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what park do K and Sensei walk from the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What word does the narrator use in Part II, My Parents and I, meaning an instance of talkativeness or garrulity?
3. What is the name of the childhood friend of the narrator’s father that comes to see him on his death bed in the military nobility of pre-industrial Japan?
4. How does Sensei presumably die at the end of the novel?
5. How many siblings does K have in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does K go during his first summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei describe him when the holiday ends?
2. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
3. What does K confront Sensei about outside the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei respond?
4. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. How does Soseki’s family react when news is heard of Emperor Meiji in Part II, My Parents and I?
6. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
7. How does Soseki’s father greet him when he arrives home in Part II, My Parents and I? What is Soseki’s impression?
8. When does Sensei tell Soseki he began to respect him in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. What is revealed in K’s suicide note in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei react?
10. How does Sensei know K? How does K defy his parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of death in Kokoro. What does Sensei say about death in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei describe “unnatural death”? What are Soseki’s considerations of death in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sensei’s opening words to Soseki in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What does Sensei tell Soseki regarding their previous discussion of trust? How does Sensei explain his lack of correspondence after Soseki’s letter? When does Sensei say he began to respect Soseki?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Forward to Kokoro. Who is the translator for the work and what does he write of the language in the novel? What important historical facts are related? Why are they important in understanding Kokoro?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)