|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through the grounds of what temple does Sensei enter the house of Okusan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How many siblings does Ojosan have in the novel?
3. Sensei explains in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that rickshaw wheels then did not have what, as they do now?
4. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means flirtation?
5. What disease killed Sensei’s father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when Sensei discovers K’s suicide in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What is Sensei’s emotional response?
2. How does Soseki’s father’s health decline as Soseki is preparing to leave for Tokyo in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. What does Sensei make of the difference he finds in his adoptive family when he returns for his third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. What does Soseki’s father say after Soseki’s arrival to cause Soseki to feel remorse in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. How does Sensei know K? How does K defy his parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. What does K relate to Sensei of his family dispute and his situation after their third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. What topic causes strife between Sensei and his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. Where does Sensei go after proposing to marry Ojosan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? What does he think about?
10. What does Sensei learn of his adoptive father from a friend in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Kamakura, Japan. How far is Kamakura from Tokyo? When did the Meiji restoration take place and how did it affect Kamakura? What imagery does the narrator use to describe the beach at Kamakura? How populated is this tourist destination?
Essay Topic 2
a. Discuss the plot structure of Kokoro. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does Kokoro compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Soseki’s writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Soseki’s objectives in seeking out Sensei in Kamakura. What about Sensei appeals to the young man? How does Soseki go about striking up a conversation with Sensei? How does Sensei respond to Soseki’s proposed friendship?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)