|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom has Okusan gone out when Sensei returns home to find Ojosan and K sitting alone in his room together the first time in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What phrase does Sensei say of K “described completely his daily life” in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What refers to a system for structuring society around relationships derived from the holding of land in exchange for service or labor?
4. Sensei and K decide to go to the coast of where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament during summer vacation?
5. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “In those days, such phrases as ‘the age of awakening’ or” what had not yet come into fashion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What explanation does Sensei give for his lack of earlier response to Soseki’s letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What topic causes strife between Sensei and his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. How does Soseki’s family react when news is heard of Emperor Meiji in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. What is Sensei’s objective in having K live with him? How do Okusan and Ojosan respond to Sensei’s suggestions?
7. What does Sensei learn of his adoptive father from a friend in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. When does Sensei tell Soseki he began to respect him in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. What is K’s justification for defying his adoptive parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. What does Soseki’s father say after Soseki’s arrival to cause Soseki to feel remorse in Part II, My Parents and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Soseki as the protagonist and narrator of Kokoro. How old is Soseki when the story begins? What attributes does he have? Is the narrator ever addressed by name in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Shizu, or Sensei’s wife, in the novel. Where is Shizu from? What is her demeanor like? What does Soseki think of Shizu?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the upbringing of Sensei in the novel. How old was Sensei when his parents died? How did they die? What caused Sensei to lose trust in humanity?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)