|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Sensei and K go after leaving Hota during their summer vacation together in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What poems does Sensei ask K if he knows after a game of cards in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. After asking for Ojosan’s hand in marriage, where does Sensei leave the house to go in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “I was like a man who runs to the edge of a cliff, and looking down, sees that the abyss is” what?
5. Okusan and Ojosan leave the house to visit relatives where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sensei learn of his adoptive father from a friend in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What are the conflicting objectives presented to Soseki by his mother in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. How does Sensei go about getting approval to marry Ojosan? What is the result?
4. Where does Sensei go after proposing to marry Ojosan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? What does he think about?
5. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
6. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. What conclusion does Sensei reach at the end of his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. Describe the scene when Sensei discovers K’s suicide in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What is Sensei’s emotional response?
9. Where does Sensei move after severing ties with his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. What happens with K’s family during their third summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fathers and Sons in Kokoro
a. Discuss the relationship between Sensei and Soseki in the novel. How does this relationship resemble that of a father and son? How does Soseki compare his father to Sensei?
b. Compare and contrast Soseki and Sensei’s fathers in the novel. How are they similar? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
a. Discuss the plot structure of Kokoro. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does Kokoro compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Soseki’s writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of “the second son” in Kokoro. Soseki, Sensei's uncle, and K are all second sons of their families. What sense of estrangement do each of these characters experience from their families as they struggle to find identities and career paths?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)