|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Okusan and Ojosan leave the house to visit relatives where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means asserting opinions in an arrogant manner?
3. By what name does the narrator’s father refer to his wife in Part II, My Parents and I?
4. Past what temple does Sensei walk after crossing the Mansei Bridge in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “We are not in Tokyo, you know. Country people are rather” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Sensei tell Soseki he began to respect him in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. Where does Sensei go after proposing to marry Ojosan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? What does he think about?
4. How does Sensei’s past, revealed in his final letter, explain his demeanor in the earlier parts of the novel?
5. What does K confront Sensei about outside the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei respond?
6. Describe the scene when Sensei discovers K’s suicide in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What is Sensei’s emotional response?
7. What is revealed in K’s suicide note in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei react?
8. What is Sensei’s objective in having K live with him? How do Okusan and Ojosan respond to Sensei’s suggestions?
9. How does Soseki’s father’s health decline as Soseki is preparing to leave for Tokyo in Part II, My Parents and I?
10. Where does K go during his first summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei describe him when the holiday ends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of “the second son” in Kokoro. Soseki, Sensei's uncle, and K are all second sons of their families. What sense of estrangement do each of these characters experience from their families as they struggle to find identities and career paths?
Essay Topic 2
a. Discuss the plot structure of Kokoro. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does Kokoro compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Soseki’s writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the style and language of the novel. How does the language of Kokoro contribute to the tone of the narrative? What differences can be seen in the ways that Soseki and Sensei communicate verbally?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)