|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Sensei and K go after leaving Hota during their summer vacation together in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. Where do Sensei, the widow, and her daughter go shopping for clothes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. Sensei says of the financial agreement reached between him and his uncle that he had two options: to accept what was offered, or to do what?
4. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he was brought up to be what?
5. What insects does the narrator hear singing outside his window at his family home in Part II, My Parents and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
2. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
4. What conclusion does Sensei reach at the end of his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. What is revealed in K’s suicide note in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei react?
6. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. What conversation does Soseki’s father have with Saku-san in Part II, My Parents and I?
8. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. How does Sensei go about getting approval to marry Ojosan? What is the result?
10. Where does Sensei move after severing ties with his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss women’s roles in Japan in 1912. How are the women in the novel depicted in regard to gender roles and subservience to men? How indicative is this illustration to the time period and Japanese culture? What changes were taking place in this regard during the Meiji era?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of monetary greed in Kokoro. What characters illustrate this theme clearly? How is Sensei’s past affected by greed? What impact did this have on Sensei and his feelings for humanity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Forward to Kokoro. Who is the translator for the work and what does he write of the language in the novel? What important historical facts are related? Why are they important in understanding Kokoro?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)