|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means asserting opinions in an arrogant manner?
2. Where do Sensei and K go after leaving Hota during their summer vacation together in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. Where is K buried in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. Sensei says of the financial agreement reached between him and his uncle that he had two options: to accept what was offered, or to do what?
5. Sensei’s landlady tells him that the reason she wanted a boarder was what in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. Where does Sensei move after severing ties with his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What does Sensei learn of his adoptive father from a friend in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. What does Sensei make of the difference he finds in his adoptive family when he returns for his third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. When does Sensei tell Soseki he began to respect him in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
7. What explanation does Sensei give for his lack of earlier response to Soseki’s letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. Where does K go during his first summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei describe him when the holiday ends?
9. How does Soseki’s father greet him when he arrives home in Part II, My Parents and I? What is Soseki’s impression?
10. How does Soseki’s father’s health decline as Soseki is preparing to leave for Tokyo in Part II, My Parents and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Soseki’s objectives in seeking out Sensei in Kamakura. What about Sensei appeals to the young man? How does Soseki go about striking up a conversation with Sensei? How does Sensei respond to Soseki’s proposed friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of “the second son” in Kokoro. Soseki, Sensei's uncle, and K are all second sons of their families. What sense of estrangement do each of these characters experience from their families as they struggle to find identities and career paths?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Forward to Kokoro. Who is the translator for the work and what does he write of the language in the novel? What important historical facts are related? Why are they important in understanding Kokoro?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)