|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Sensei attend college?
2. How many siblings does K have in the novel?
3. How does K earn money to attend college after being disowned by his foster family?
4. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I that the younger generation only knows how to do what?
5. Where did Sensei visit before leaving his home for Tokyo after the quarrel with his uncle in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sensei know K? How does K defy his parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How does Sensei’s past, revealed in his final letter, explain his demeanor in the earlier parts of the novel?
3. When does Sensei tell Soseki he began to respect him in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. What does K confront Sensei about outside the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei respond?
5. What does Soseki’s father say after Soseki’s arrival to cause Soseki to feel remorse in Part II, My Parents and I?
6. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. What is Sensei’s objective in having K live with him? How do Okusan and Ojosan respond to Sensei’s suggestions?
8. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
9. Where does K go during his first summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei describe him when the holiday ends?
10. Where does Sensei go after proposing to marry Ojosan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? What does he think about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Forward to Kokoro. Who is the translator for the work and what does he write of the language in the novel? What important historical facts are related? Why are they important in understanding Kokoro?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in Kokoro. What does Sensei say about death in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei describe “unnatural death”? What are Soseki’s considerations of death in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Women’s Roles in Kokoro
a. Discuss the differences and similarities between gender roles in the novel. How do expectations of men and women differ in terms of education, society, and culture?
b. Compare and contrast Shizu and Soseki’s mother in the novel. How does Soseki view his mother’s opinions versus those of Shizu?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)