|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the medieval Japanese act of vassals committing ritual suicide upon the death of their lord?
2. What disease killed Sensei’s father?
3. How many siblings does Ojosan have in the novel?
4. Sensei explains in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that rickshaw wheels then did not have what, as they do now?
5. How many days a week does K arrive home before Sensei in their last year at the university in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Sensei reach at the end of his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How does Soseki’s father greet him when he arrives home in Part II, My Parents and I? What is Soseki’s impression?
3. What topic causes strife between Sensei and his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. How does Soseki’s family react when news is heard of Emperor Meiji in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. How does K’s family dispute conclude in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does K feel about the situation?
6. Describe the scene when Sensei discovers K’s suicide in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What is Sensei’s emotional response?
7. What explanation does Sensei give for his lack of earlier response to Soseki’s letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. What are the conflicting objectives presented to Soseki by his mother in Part II, My Parents and I?
9. What conversation does Soseki’s father have with Saku-san in Part II, My Parents and I?
10. How does Sensei go about getting approval to marry Ojosan? What is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Shizu, or Sensei’s wife, in the novel. Where is Shizu from? What is her demeanor like? What does Soseki think of Shizu?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss women’s roles in Japan in 1912. How are the women in the novel depicted in regard to gender roles and subservience to men? How indicative is this illustration to the time period and Japanese culture? What changes were taking place in this regard during the Meiji era?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Emperor Meiji and the Meiji era. How did Japan change as a society during this historical period? What were Japan’s relationships with neighboring nations? How is this era embodied in Kokoro?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)