|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator’s brother-in-law?
2. What “delicacy” does the narrator’s father enjoy having his wife prepare for him while he is bed-ridden in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. Where does Sensei say K was born in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. What is the name of the childhood friend of the narrator’s father that comes to see him on his death bed in the military nobility of pre-industrial Japan?
5. What indiscretion of his uncle’s does Sensei learn about on his third summer home from college in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
2. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What are the conflicting objectives presented to Soseki by his mother in Part II, My Parents and I?
4. Describe the scene when Sensei discovers K’s suicide in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What is Sensei’s emotional response?
5. What is Sensei’s objective in having K live with him? How do Okusan and Ojosan respond to Sensei’s suggestions?
6. What explanation does Sensei give for his lack of earlier response to Soseki’s letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. Where does K go during his first summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei describe him when the holiday ends?
8. What does Sensei learn of his adoptive father from a friend in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. What is revealed in K’s suicide note in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei react?
10. What is K’s justification for defying his adoptive parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Sensei in Kokoro. How old is Sensei when Soseki first approaches him? How is Sensei’s demeanor described? What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sensei’s opening words to Soseki in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What does Sensei tell Soseki regarding their previous discussion of trust? How does Sensei explain his lack of correspondence after Soseki’s letter? When does Sensei say he began to respect Soseki?
Essay Topic 3
Women’s Roles in Kokoro
a. Discuss the differences and similarities between gender roles in the novel. How do expectations of men and women differ in terms of education, society, and culture?
b. Compare and contrast Shizu and Soseki’s mother in the novel. How does Soseki view his mother’s opinions versus those of Shizu?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)