|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “There are advantages and disadvantages in having one's children” what?
2. What refers to a system for structuring society around relationships derived from the holding of land in exchange for service or labor?
3. What does Okusan bring to Sensei after he says he is not feeling well in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. Sensei claims in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “I do believe that for love to grow there must first be the impact of” what?
5. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “I was like a man who runs to the edge of a cliff, and looking down, sees that the abyss is” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sensei know K? How does K defy his parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How does Sensei’s past, revealed in his final letter, explain his demeanor in the earlier parts of the novel?
3. What conclusion does Sensei reach at the end of his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. What conversation does Soseki’s father have with Saku-san in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. What does Sensei make of the difference he finds in his adoptive family when he returns for his third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. How does K’s family dispute conclude in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does K feel about the situation?
7. What topic causes strife between Sensei and his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
9. When does Sensei tell Soseki he began to respect him in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolic role that Emperor Meiji plays in Kokoro. What does Meiji represent metaphorically to the characters in the story? How does Meiji’s passing affect Soseki and his family? How does it affect Sensei?
Essay Topic 2
Fathers and Sons in Kokoro
a. Discuss the relationship between Sensei and Soseki in the novel. How does this relationship resemble that of a father and son? How does Soseki compare his father to Sensei?
b. Compare and contrast Soseki and Sensei’s fathers in the novel. How are they similar? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of “the second son” in Kokoro. Soseki, Sensei's uncle, and K are all second sons of their families. What sense of estrangement do each of these characters experience from their families as they struggle to find identities and career paths?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)