|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “There are advantages and disadvantages in having one's children” what?
2. What “delicacy” does the narrator’s father enjoy having his wife prepare for him while he is bed-ridden in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. Who was left in charge of Sensei after the death of his parents?
4. After discovering K’s body, whom does Sensei decide to wake?
5. Where does K tell Sensei he had met Ojosan by chance and walked her home in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sensei know K? How does K defy his parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What does K confront Sensei about outside the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei respond?
4. What topic causes strife between Sensei and his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
6. When does Sensei tell Soseki he began to respect him in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. Where does Sensei go after proposing to marry Ojosan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? What does he think about?
8. What happens with K’s family during their third summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. Why does Soseki’s mother urge Soseki to write to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I?
10. What is revealed in K’s suicide note in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sensei’s opening words to Soseki in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What does Sensei tell Soseki regarding their previous discussion of trust? How does Sensei explain his lack of correspondence after Soseki’s letter? When does Sensei say he began to respect Soseki?
Essay Topic 2
Fathers and Sons in Kokoro
a. Discuss the relationship between Sensei and Soseki in the novel. How does this relationship resemble that of a father and son? How does Soseki compare his father to Sensei?
b. Compare and contrast Soseki and Sensei’s fathers in the novel. How are they similar? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
a. Discuss the plot structure of Kokoro. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does Kokoro compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Soseki’s writing?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)