|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. K was the son of a priest in what sect?
2. Where does Sensei say K was born in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. Sensei asks himself in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Can one expect the complicated mechanism of the human mind to betray its purposes so obviously, as though it were some kind of” what?
4. What phrase does Sensei say of K “described completely his daily life” in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. What is the name of the narrator’s brother-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Soseki’s father say after Soseki’s arrival to cause Soseki to feel remorse in Part II, My Parents and I?
2. How does Soseki’s family react when news is heard of Emperor Meiji in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. What explanation does Sensei give for his lack of earlier response to Soseki’s letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. What is Sensei’s objective in having K live with him? How do Okusan and Ojosan respond to Sensei’s suggestions?
5. What does Sensei learn of his adoptive father from a friend in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. Where does Sensei go after proposing to marry Ojosan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? What does he think about?
7. How does Soseki’s father’s health decline as Soseki is preparing to leave for Tokyo in Part II, My Parents and I?
8. How does Soseki’s father greet him when he arrives home in Part II, My Parents and I? What is Soseki’s impression?
9. What conversation does Soseki’s father have with Saku-san in Part II, My Parents and I?
10. What topic causes strife between Sensei and his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of monetary greed in Kokoro. What characters illustrate this theme clearly? How is Sensei’s past affected by greed? What impact did this have on Sensei and his feelings for humanity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of “the second son” in Kokoro. Soseki, Sensei's uncle, and K are all second sons of their families. What sense of estrangement do each of these characters experience from their families as they struggle to find identities and career paths?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the style and language of the novel. How does the language of Kokoro contribute to the tone of the narrative? What differences can be seen in the ways that Soseki and Sensei communicate verbally?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)