|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After discovering K’s body, whom does Sensei decide to wake?
2. What word does the narrator use in Part II, My Parents and I, meaning an instance of talkativeness or garrulity?
3. How many days a week does K arrive home before Sensei in their last year at the university in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. In the middle of what month do K and Sensei return to college in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. Where did Sensei attend college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sensei make of the difference he finds in his adoptive family when he returns for his third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What is revealed in K’s suicide note in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei react?
3. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. Describe the scene when Sensei discovers K’s suicide in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What is Sensei’s emotional response?
5. Where does K go during his first summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei describe him when the holiday ends?
6. How does Soseki’s family react when news is heard of Emperor Meiji in Part II, My Parents and I?
7. Where does Sensei move after severing ties with his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
9. How does Soseki’s father greet him when he arrives home in Part II, My Parents and I? What is Soseki’s impression?
10. What does Sensei learn of his adoptive father from a friend in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fathers and Sons in Kokoro
a. Discuss the relationship between Sensei and Soseki in the novel. How does this relationship resemble that of a father and son? How does Soseki compare his father to Sensei?
b. Compare and contrast Soseki and Sensei’s fathers in the novel. How are they similar? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in Kokoro. What does Sensei say about death in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei describe “unnatural death”? What are Soseki’s considerations of death in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Kamakura, Japan. How far is Kamakura from Tokyo? When did the Meiji restoration take place and how did it affect Kamakura? What imagery does the narrator use to describe the beach at Kamakura? How populated is this tourist destination?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)