|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who translated Kokoroand wrote the book’s Forward?
2. What relative of Sensei’s died of a similar ailment as the narrator’s father?
3. The narrator tells Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “I value your opinions because they are the results of your” what?
4. The narrator goes to stay with Sensei’s wife due to a slew of burglaries while Sensei is gone where in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. What did Natsume Soseki study in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
3. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
4. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
5. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
7. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
9. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
10. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sensei’s opening words to Soseki in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What does Sensei tell Soseki regarding their previous discussion of trust? How does Sensei explain his lack of correspondence after Soseki’s letter? When does Sensei say he began to respect Soseki?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Soseki’s father in the novel. From what degenerating ailment does Soseki’s father suffer? How does Soseki compare his relationship with his father to his relationship with Sensei?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of monetary greed in Kokoro. What characters illustrate this theme clearly? How is Sensei’s past affected by greed? What impact did this have on Sensei and his feelings for humanity?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)