|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the narrator tell Sensei he will be returning to Tokyo while he is home for his father’s illness in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
3. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. How does the narrator travel to the cemetery to meet with Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. What does Sensei’s wife mention as a possible cause of the change in Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
2. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
7. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
9. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sensei’s opening words to Soseki in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What does Sensei tell Soseki regarding their previous discussion of trust? How does Sensei explain his lack of correspondence after Soseki’s letter? When does Sensei say he began to respect Soseki?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the upbringing of Sensei in the novel. How old was Sensei when his parents died? How did they die? What caused Sensei to lose trust in humanity?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Shizu, or Sensei’s wife, in the novel. Where is Shizu from? What is her demeanor like? What does Soseki think of Shizu?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)