Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soseki sees Sensei as the one ___________ person in a city of people who appear so very much alike.
2. What happens when Sensei will not clarify the type of temptations he says will cause people to be evil?
3. Soseki says that he is often ____________ by the responses that Sensei gives as they are speaking with each other.
4. Soseki seems to have a lack of _____________, which becomes apparent when he talks with Sensei.
5. In 1900, where was Soseki sent in order to act as a governor scholar for his country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the question Sensei has for Soseki during their visits together, one which he repeats often?
2. While Soseki's mother does not think Soseki should go, she also concedes that his action would make him a good son. What should Soseki not let his father die not knowing?
3. What was the educational background of Soseki according to the foreword section of the book "Kokoro"?
4. When does Sensei apologize to Soseki during their conversation about guilt during one of their meetings?
5. What is the story Sensei tells to Soseki upon his return to Tokyo to repay the loan he took out?
6. In relation to his new love for Ojosan, what does Sensei admonish K for doing?
7. What has Soseki anticipated for that fateful day at the beach according to his writing in the book?
8. Why does Sensei think Soseki makes fun of others who are in love with each other and showing it?
9. What happens after Soseki learns that his father has a promising prognosis for his illness?
10. What is revealed about the wealth of Soskei's family when Sensei asks him about it?
Sensei's refusal to tell his story causes Soseki to believe that Sensei does not trust him.
Part 1: Why do you think Sensei refuses to tell Soseki his story at first?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for Soseki to want to know Sensei's life story? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you answer personal questions from people you hardly know? Or don't you? Why?
Okusan says that she does not trust strangers, which is why she doesn't want to take on any other boarders.
Part 1: Why do you think Okusan does not trust strangers?
Part 2: Do you trust strangers? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Okusan's life be different if she did decide to trust strangers?
Sensei believes that money is what causes people to become bad, even though he believes they are inherently good.
Part 1: Do you think money itself is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think money corrupts people, even good people?
Part 3: Do you think that you can be changed by the presence or the longing for money? Why or why not?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)