|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator’s vacationing student friend is called home after they have been at the beach town for how long in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “The friendship that you sought in me is in reality a preparation for” what?
3. What did Natsume Soseki study in college?
4. What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
5. By the end of what month is the narrator’s graduation thesis due in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
3. What financial advice does Sensei give Soseki in the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
5. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
6. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
7. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
10. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Kamakura, Japan. How far is Kamakura from Tokyo? When did the Meiji restoration take place and how did it affect Kamakura? What imagery does the narrator use to describe the beach at Kamakura? How populated is this tourist destination?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss women’s roles in Japan in 1912. How are the women in the novel depicted in regard to gender roles and subservience to men? How indicative is this illustration to the time period and Japanese culture? What changes were taking place in this regard during the Meiji era?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Soseki’s studies at the university in Part I: Sensei and I. What is implied as Soseki’s focus of study? Where does he live while in Tokyo? What does Soseki have in common with Sensei regarding his education?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)