Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soseki sees Sensei as the one ___________ person in a city of people who appear so very much alike.
2. What happens when Sensei will not clarify the type of temptations he says will cause people to be evil?
3. Soseki says that he is often ____________ by the responses that Sensei gives as they are speaking with each other.
4. Soseki seems to have a lack of _____________, which becomes apparent when he talks with Sensei.
5. In 1900, where was Soseki sent in order to act as a governor scholar for his country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the question Sensei has for Soseki during their visits together, one which he repeats often?
2. While Soseki's mother does not think Soseki should go, she also concedes that his action would make him a good son. What should Soseki not let his father die not knowing?
3. What was the educational background of Soseki according to the foreword section of the book "Kokoro"?
4. When does Sensei apologize to Soseki during their conversation about guilt during one of their meetings?
5. What is the story Sensei tells to Soseki upon his return to Tokyo to repay the loan he took out?
6. In relation to his new love for Ojosan, what does Sensei admonish K for doing?
7. What has Soseki anticipated for that fateful day at the beach according to his writing in the book?
8. Why does Sensei think Soseki makes fun of others who are in love with each other and showing it?
9. What happens after Soseki learns that his father has a promising prognosis for his illness?
10. What is revealed about the wealth of Soskei's family when Sensei asks him about it?
Sensei notes that when he is around the one he loves, he feels complete and like his life has meaning.
Part 1: Why do you think loved ones can make us feel more valuable in the world?
Part 2: Do you think one should feel complete on their own or should another person be responsible for making someone feel complete? Why?
Part 3: In terms of your friends, how do you feel about yourself when you are around them? Why?
Soseki and Sensei seem to have a connection to each other right from the beginning of the story.
Part 1: Why do you think Soseki feels drawn to Sensei immediately?
Part 2: Do you believe that people can be connected before they know each other? Why or why not?
Part 3: Have you ever felt connected to someone else immediately? Why or why not?
Sensei decides that he wants to help K become more open in his life, and his plan works.
Part 1: Do you think Sensei was overstepping their friendship to help K? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think might have happened if Sensei had not helped K?
Part 3: Do you think you would have helped K if you were in Sensei's shoes? Why or why not?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)