|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the narrator tell Sensei and his wife he will be back in Tokyo after he graduates in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. What Japanese province is Sensei from?
3. How many tea houses does the narrator describe on the beach in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
4. The narrator’s mother suggests that the narrator take Sensei what when he returns to Tokyo in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
3. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
4. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
5. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
7. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
8. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
10. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of Soseki’s family home in the novel. How far from Tokyo do Soseki’s parents live? How is their home and estate described in the narrative? How does Soseki compare the rural people in his hometown to the people of Tokyo?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Forward to Kokoro. Who is the translator for the work and what does he write of the language in the novel? What important historical facts are related? Why are they important in understanding Kokoro?
Essay Topic 3
Fathers and Sons in Kokoro
a. Discuss the relationship between Sensei and Soseki in the novel. How does this relationship resemble that of a father and son? How does Soseki compare his father to Sensei?
b. Compare and contrast Soseki and Sensei’s fathers in the novel. How are they similar? How do they differ?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)