|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. NatsumeSoseki wrote Kokoro how many years after the death of Emperor Meiji?
2. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I see that higher education has made you adept at” what?
5. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
4. What financial advice does Sensei give Soseki in the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
8. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
9. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
10. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Soseki’s letter to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I. Does Soseki expect a response from Sensei? Does Soseki believe Sensei to be capable or willing to help him find employment? How does Soseki feel when he does not receive a reply?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss women’s roles in Japan in 1912. How are the women in the novel depicted in regard to gender roles and subservience to men? How indicative is this illustration to the time period and Japanese culture? What changes were taking place in this regard during the Meiji era?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Emperor Meiji and the Meiji era. How did Japan change as a society during this historical period? What were Japan’s relationships with neighboring nations? How is this era embodied in Kokoro?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)