|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. NatsumeSoseki wrote Kokoro how many years after the death of Emperor Meiji?
2. Where does the narrator’s elder brother work?
3. What game does the narrator play with his father while he is recovering to appease his boredom in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Sensei tells the narrator that there is no such thing as what in this world in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What financial advice does Sensei give Soseki in the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
3. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
4. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
5. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
9. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
10. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Emperor Meiji and the Meiji era. How did Japan change as a society during this historical period? What were Japan’s relationships with neighboring nations? How is this era embodied in Kokoro?
Essay Topic 2
Women’s Roles in Kokoro
a. Discuss the differences and similarities between gender roles in the novel. How do expectations of men and women differ in terms of education, society, and culture?
b. Compare and contrast Shizu and Soseki’s mother in the novel. How does Soseki view his mother’s opinions versus those of Shizu?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sensei’s opening words to Soseki in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What does Sensei tell Soseki regarding their previous discussion of trust? How does Sensei explain his lack of correspondence after Soseki’s letter? When does Sensei say he began to respect Soseki?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)