|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator’s mother suggests that the narrator take Sensei what when he returns to Tokyo in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
3. The narrator’s vacationing student friend is called home after they have been at the beach town for how long in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
5. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
4. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
7. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
9. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the style and language of the novel. How does the language of Kokoro contribute to the tone of the narrative? What differences can be seen in the ways that Soseki and Sensei communicate verbally?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sensei’s opening words to Soseki in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What does Sensei tell Soseki regarding their previous discussion of trust? How does Sensei explain his lack of correspondence after Soseki’s letter? When does Sensei say he began to respect Soseki?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Soseki’s father in the novel. From what degenerating ailment does Soseki’s father suffer? How does Soseki compare his relationship with his father to his relationship with Sensei?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)