|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your” what?
2. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
3. The narrator’s vacationing student friend is called home after they have been at the beach town for how long in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. The narrator tells Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “I value your opinions because they are the results of your” what?
5. Where was Natsume Soseki educated, according to the book’s Forward?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
3. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
6. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
8. What financial advice does Sensei give Soseki in the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
10. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Soseki’s studies at the university in Part I: Sensei and I. What is implied as Soseki’s focus of study? Where does he live while in Tokyo? What does Soseki have in common with Sensei regarding his education?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of Soseki’s family home in the novel. How far from Tokyo do Soseki’s parents live? How is their home and estate described in the narrative? How does Soseki compare the rural people in his hometown to the people of Tokyo?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Soseki’s objectives in seeking out Sensei in Kamakura. What about Sensei appeals to the young man? How does Soseki go about striking up a conversation with Sensei? How does Sensei respond to Soseki’s proposed friendship?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)