|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
2. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
4. What was Tokyo once known as?
5. When does the narrator tell Sensei and his wife he will be back in Tokyo after he graduates in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
2. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
3. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
5. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
6. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
7. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
10. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Sensei in Kokoro. How old is Sensei when Soseki first approaches him? How is Sensei’s demeanor described? What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the style and language of the novel. How does the language of Kokoro contribute to the tone of the narrative? What differences can be seen in the ways that Soseki and Sensei communicate verbally?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Soseki as the protagonist and narrator of Kokoro. How old is Soseki when the story begins? What attributes does he have? Is the narrator ever addressed by name in the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)