|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator’s elder brother work?
2. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
2. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
3. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
6. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
8. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
10. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Shizu, or Sensei’s wife, in the novel. Where is Shizu from? What is her demeanor like? What does Soseki think of Shizu?
Essay Topic 2
Women’s Roles in Kokoro
a. Discuss the differences and similarities between gender roles in the novel. How do expectations of men and women differ in terms of education, society, and culture?
b. Compare and contrast Shizu and Soseki’s mother in the novel. How does Soseki view his mother’s opinions versus those of Shizu?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Emperor Meiji and the Meiji era. How did Japan change as a society during this historical period? What were Japan’s relationships with neighboring nations? How is this era embodied in Kokoro?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)