|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Sensei give to the son of the tree orchard in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. What relative of Sensei’s died of a similar ailment as the narrator’s father?
3. The narrator says after his discussion with Sensei at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I, “Among the things that Sensei said, what interested me most was his remark that no man was immune to” what?
4. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
3. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
4. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
7. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
8. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fathers and Sons in Kokoro
a. Discuss the relationship between Sensei and Soseki in the novel. How does this relationship resemble that of a father and son? How does Soseki compare his father to Sensei?
b. Compare and contrast Soseki and Sensei’s fathers in the novel. How are they similar? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of monetary greed in Kokoro. What characters illustrate this theme clearly? How is Sensei’s past affected by greed? What impact did this have on Sensei and his feelings for humanity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of death in Kokoro. What does Sensei say about death in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei describe “unnatural death”? What are Soseki’s considerations of death in the novel?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)