|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator travel to the cemetery to meet with Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Sensei asks the narrator while walking through the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I, “You have never thought seriously of the reality of” what?
3. NatsumeSoseki wrote Kokoro how many years after the death of Emperor Meiji?
4. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
5. What does Sensei’s wife send home with the narrator after he stays with her to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What financial advice does Sensei give Soseki in the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
5. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
6. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
9. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
10. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the style and language of the novel. How does the language of Kokoro contribute to the tone of the narrative? What differences can be seen in the ways that Soseki and Sensei communicate verbally?
Essay Topic 2
Fathers and Sons in Kokoro
a. Discuss the relationship between Sensei and Soseki in the novel. How does this relationship resemble that of a father and son? How does Soseki compare his father to Sensei?
b. Compare and contrast Soseki and Sensei’s fathers in the novel. How are they similar? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss women’s roles in Japan in 1912. How are the women in the novel depicted in regard to gender roles and subservience to men? How indicative is this illustration to the time period and Japanese culture? What changes were taking place in this regard during the Meiji era?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)