|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. How much money does Sensei give to the son of the tree orchard in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. What Japanese province is Sensei from?
4. What does Sensei’s wife mention as a possible cause of the change in Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. Where was Natsume Soseki educated, according to the book’s Forward?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
2. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
5. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
6. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
8. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
9. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
10. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolic role that Emperor Meiji plays in Kokoro. What does Meiji represent metaphorically to the characters in the story? How does Meiji’s passing affect Soseki and his family? How does it affect Sensei?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Soseki’s studies at the university in Part I: Sensei and I. What is implied as Soseki’s focus of study? Where does he live while in Tokyo? What does Soseki have in common with Sensei regarding his education?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Soseki as the protagonist and narrator of Kokoro. How old is Soseki when the story begins? What attributes does he have? Is the narrator ever addressed by name in the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)