|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
2. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
3. What is the name of Sensei’s wife?
4. Where does the narrator’s elder brother work?
5. What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
2. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
3. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
4. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
9. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Soseki’s studies at the university in Part I: Sensei and I. What is implied as Soseki’s focus of study? Where does he live while in Tokyo? What does Soseki have in common with Sensei regarding his education?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Soseki’s mother in the novel. How old is Soseki’s mother in comparison with her husband? What levity does Soseki lend to his mother’s advice and opinions? How does Soseki’s mother compare with Shizu?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Shizu, or Sensei’s wife, in the novel. Where is Shizu from? What is her demeanor like? What does Soseki think of Shizu?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)