|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
2. In what month is the narrator due to graduate from university in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Why is the narrator’s vacationing student friend called home in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
5. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
4. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
5. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
6. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
7. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. What financial advice does Sensei give Soseki in the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Shizu, or Sensei’s wife, in the novel. Where is Shizu from? What is her demeanor like? What does Soseki think of Shizu?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Soseki’s studies at the university in Part I: Sensei and I. What is implied as Soseki’s focus of study? Where does he live while in Tokyo? What does Soseki have in common with Sensei regarding his education?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of Soseki’s family home in the novel. How far from Tokyo do Soseki’s parents live? How is their home and estate described in the narrative? How does Soseki compare the rural people in his hometown to the people of Tokyo?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)