|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Sensei give to the son of the tree orchard in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. What did Natsume Soseki study in college?
3. Where do Sensei and the narrator walk toward after leaving the gardens during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. How does the narrator travel to the cemetery to meet with Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
3. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
4. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
5. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
6. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
9. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
10. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Soseki’s father in the novel. From what degenerating ailment does Soseki’s father suffer? How does Soseki compare his relationship with his father to his relationship with Sensei?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of monetary greed in Kokoro. What characters illustrate this theme clearly? How is Sensei’s past affected by greed? What impact did this have on Sensei and his feelings for humanity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of Soseki’s family home in the novel. How far from Tokyo do Soseki’s parents live? How is their home and estate described in the narrative? How does Soseki compare the rural people in his hometown to the people of Tokyo?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)