|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
2. What relative of Sensei’s died of a similar ailment as the narrator’s father?
3. The narrator goes to stay with Sensei’s wife due to a slew of burglaries while Sensei is gone where in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. When does the narrator tell Sensei and his wife he will be back in Tokyo after he graduates in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
6. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
7. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
8. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of monetary greed in Kokoro. What characters illustrate this theme clearly? How is Sensei’s past affected by greed? What impact did this have on Sensei and his feelings for humanity?
Essay Topic 2
Fathers and Sons in Kokoro
a. Discuss the relationship between Sensei and Soseki in the novel. How does this relationship resemble that of a father and son? How does Soseki compare his father to Sensei?
b. Compare and contrast Soseki and Sensei’s fathers in the novel. How are they similar? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Women’s Roles in Kokoro
a. Discuss the differences and similarities between gender roles in the novel. How do expectations of men and women differ in terms of education, society, and culture?
b. Compare and contrast Shizu and Soseki’s mother in the novel. How does Soseki view his mother’s opinions versus those of Shizu?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)