|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “The friendship that you sought in me is in reality a preparation for” what?
3. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your” what?
4. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
5. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. What financial advice does Sensei give Soseki in the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
6. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
8. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
10. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women’s Roles in Kokoro
a. Discuss the differences and similarities between gender roles in the novel. How do expectations of men and women differ in terms of education, society, and culture?
b. Compare and contrast Shizu and Soseki’s mother in the novel. How does Soseki view his mother’s opinions versus those of Shizu?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Shizu, or Sensei’s wife, in the novel. Where is Shizu from? What is her demeanor like? What does Soseki think of Shizu?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Forward to Kokoro. Who is the translator for the work and what does he write of the language in the novel? What important historical facts are related? Why are they important in understanding Kokoro?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)