|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Who translated Kokoroand wrote the book’s Forward?
3. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
4. General Nogi and who were the best-known heroes of the Russo-Japanese War?
5. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
4. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
7. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. What financial advice does Sensei give Soseki in the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Sensei in Kokoro. How old is Sensei when Soseki first approaches him? How is Sensei’s demeanor described? What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Soseki’s objectives in seeking out Sensei in Kamakura. What about Sensei appeals to the young man? How does Soseki go about striking up a conversation with Sensei? How does Sensei respond to Soseki’s proposed friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of death in Kokoro. What does Sensei say about death in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei describe “unnatural death”? What are Soseki’s considerations of death in the novel?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)