|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei left how long ago to go to the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. What Japanese province is Sensei from?
3. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
4. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. Who translated Kokoroand wrote the book’s Forward?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
2. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
3. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
4. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
6. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
10. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolic role that Emperor Meiji plays in Kokoro. What does Meiji represent metaphorically to the characters in the story? How does Meiji’s passing affect Soseki and his family? How does it affect Sensei?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the upbringing of Sensei in the novel. How old was Sensei when his parents died? How did they die? What caused Sensei to lose trust in humanity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Soseki’s letter to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I. Does Soseki expect a response from Sensei? Does Soseki believe Sensei to be capable or willing to help him find employment? How does Soseki feel when he does not receive a reply?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)