Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, “At first, I thought of Sensei’s wife as a woman of” what?
2. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. How does the narrator travel to the cemetery to meet with Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. How much money does Sensei give to the son of the tree orchard in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
3. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
5. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
6. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
7. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the upbringing of Sensei in the novel. How old was Sensei when his parents died? How did they die? What caused Sensei to lose trust in humanity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of Soseki’s family home in the novel. How far from Tokyo do Soseki’s parents live? How is their home and estate described in the narrative? How does Soseki compare the rural people in his hometown to the people of Tokyo?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Emperor Meiji and the Meiji era. How did Japan change as a society during this historical period? What were Japan’s relationships with neighboring nations? How is this era embodied in Kokoro?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)