|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sensei has a dining table specially made for Okusan by a furniture maker where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How old was General Nogi when he died?
3. Where did Sensei visit before leaving his home for Tokyo after the quarrel with his uncle in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The nunnery.
(b) His parents’ graves.
(c) The temple square.
(d) His sister's grave.
4. Where did Sensei attend college?
5. Past what temple does Sensei walk after crossing the Mansei Bridge in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) Denzuin Temple.
(b) The Temple of Myojin.
(d) A Shinshu temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase is K particularly interested in when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer from college?
2. When Sensei returns from summer vacation after his first year in college, he finds K living in a dirty temple by what?
3. When does the narrator say he had come home in Part II, My Parents and I?
4. What is the name of the narrator’s brother-in-law?
5. Why does the narrator’s sister not return home while their father is ill in Part II, My Parents and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sensei go about getting approval to marry Ojosan? What is the result?
2. What is Sensei’s objective in having K live with him? How do Okusan and Ojosan respond to Sensei’s suggestions?
3. What explanation does Sensei give for his lack of earlier response to Soseki’s letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. What does K confront Sensei about outside the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei respond?
6. How does Sensei’s past, revealed in his final letter, explain his demeanor in the earlier parts of the novel?
7. How does K’s family dispute conclude in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does K feel about the situation?
8. How does Soseki’s family react when news is heard of Emperor Meiji in Part II, My Parents and I?
9. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. What does Soseki’s father say after Soseki’s arrival to cause Soseki to feel remorse in Part II, My Parents and I?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)