|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sensei says of the financial agreement reached between him and his uncle that he had two options: to accept what was offered, or to do what?
(a) Sue him.
(b) Propose a counter offer.
(c) Withdraw from the family.
(d) Kill him.
2. What does Okusan bring to Sensei after he says he is not feeling well in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) Rice cakes.
(b) A trout fillet.
(c) Buckwheat gruel.
(d) Scrambled eggs.
3. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means asserting opinions in an arrogant manner?
4. What “old-fashioned phrase” does Sensei use to describe K’s situation at home in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) “Restricted to silence.”
(b) “Expelled from his father’s house.”
(c) “Entered into the flame.”
(d) “Walking on eggshells.”
5. What is the name of the widow’s daughter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did K die?
2. Sensei describes walking up the slope of Koishikawa toward what temple in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. Sensei has a dining table specially made for Okusan by a furniture maker where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. After asking for Ojosan’s hand in marriage, where does Sensei leave the house to go in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament that in his time, there were already a few high-class boarding houses for college students located where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
2. What explanation does Sensei give for his lack of earlier response to Soseki’s letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What happens with K’s family during their third summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. What does Soseki’s father say after Soseki’s arrival to cause Soseki to feel remorse in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. How does Sensei’s past, revealed in his final letter, explain his demeanor in the earlier parts of the novel?
7. What is revealed in K’s suicide note in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? How does Sensei react?
8. What is Sensei’s objective in having K live with him? How do Okusan and Ojosan respond to Sensei’s suggestions?
9. What are the conflicting objectives presented to Soseki by his mother in Part II, My Parents and I?
10. How does Sensei go about getting approval to marry Ojosan? What is the result?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)