|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator’s sister not return home while their father is ill in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) She doesn't like the countryside.
(b) She doesn't get along with her father.
(c) She fears having a miscarriage.
(d) She doesn't get along with her mother.
2. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “We are not in Tokyo, you know. Country people are rather” what?
(a) “Humble and honest.”
(b) “Simple and angry.”
(c) “Spiritual and loving.”
(d) “Fussy and resentful.”
3. Where did Sensei visit before leaving his home for Tokyo after the quarrel with his uncle in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) His sister's grave.
(b) The nunnery.
(c) The temple square.
(d) His parents’ graves.
4. What is the name of the narrator’s brother-in-law?
5. What “old-fashioned phrase” does Sensei use to describe K’s situation at home in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) “Restricted to silence.”
(b) “Expelled from his father’s house.”
(c) “Entered into the flame.”
(d) “Walking on eggshells.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was left in charge of Sensei after the death of his parents?
2. How old was General Nogi when he died?
3. Who informs Sensei of the widow and her vacant room in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament that in his time, there were already a few high-class boarding houses for college students located where?
5. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Women in those days did not wear their hair over their foreheads, but twisted it up like” what on top of their heads?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topic causes strife between Sensei and his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What does Sensei learn of his adoptive father from a friend in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. Where does Sensei move after severing ties with his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. How does Soseki’s family react when news is heard of Emperor Meiji in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. What conclusion does Sensei reach at the end of his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
7. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. Why does Soseki’s mother urge Soseki to write to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I?
9. How does Sensei go about getting approval to marry Ojosan? What is the result?
10. What is Sensei’s objective in having K live with him? How do Okusan and Ojosan respond to Sensei’s suggestions?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)