|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator’s father always refer to Emperor Meiji when discussing news of him in the papers?
(a) His Majesty.
(b) The Wise One.
(c) The Holy One.
(d) His Excellency.
2. What job offer does a friend from school send to the narrator in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) A laborer position.
(b) A managerial position.
(c) A government position.
(d) A secondary teaching post.
3. How many days before the narrator leaves for Tokyo does his father have a fainting spell in Part II, My Parents and I?
4. What refers to the medieval Japanese act of vassals committing ritual suicide upon the death of their lord?
5. What religious book does Sensei find in K’s room at the temple after he returns from his first summer vacation at college?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A Koran.
(c) A torah.
(d) A Vinaya.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a system for structuring society around relationships derived from the holding of land in exchange for service or labor?
2. After discovering K’s body, whom does Sensei decide to wake?
3. When talking with K after leaving the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, Sensei compares himself to what crouching before a lamb?
4. What poems does Sensei ask K if he knows after a game of cards in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. What phrase is K particularly interested in when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer from college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with K’s family during their third summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How does Soseki’s family react when news is heard of Emperor Meiji in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
4. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. What is K’s justification for defying his adoptive parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. Why does Soseki’s mother urge Soseki to write to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I?
7. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
8. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. How does Soseki’s father greet him when he arrives home in Part II, My Parents and I? What is Soseki’s impression?
10. Where does Sensei go after proposing to marry Ojosan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament? What does he think about?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)