|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After discovering K’s body, whom does Sensei decide to wake?
(a) The main.
2. What refers to the medieval Japanese act of vassals committing ritual suicide upon the death of their lord?
3. What phrase does Sensei say of K “described completely his daily life” in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) “Concentration of mind.”
(b) “Purity of spirit.”
(c) “Consumption by fear.”
(d) “Level of education.”
4. K was the son of a priest in what sect?
5. When was Emperor Meiji born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “I was like a man who runs to the edge of a cliff, and looking down, sees that the abyss is” what?
2. How does the narrator’s father always refer to Emperor Meiji when discussing news of him in the papers?
3. What disease killed Sensei’s father?
4. When Sensei returns from summer vacation after his first year in college, he finds K living in a dirty temple by what?
5. How did K die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the conflicting objectives presented to Soseki by his mother in Part II, My Parents and I?
2. What is K’s justification for defying his adoptive parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What does Soseki’s father say after Soseki’s arrival to cause Soseki to feel remorse in Part II, My Parents and I?
4. Where does Sensei move after severing ties with his adoptive family in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. How does Soseki’s father’s health decline as Soseki is preparing to leave for Tokyo in Part II, My Parents and I?
6. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. How does Sensei know K? How does K defy his parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. How old is Sensei when he is orphaned? Who is left in his charge after his parents’ deaths?
9. What explanation does Sensei give for his lack of earlier response to Soseki’s letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. What is Sensei’s objective in having K live with him? How do Okusan and Ojosan respond to Sensei’s suggestions?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)