|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sensei presumably die at the end of the novel?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He does of tuberculosis.
(c) He is murdered.
(d) He dies of cancer.
2. Sensei asks himself in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Can one expect the complicated mechanism of the human mind to betray its purposes so obviously, as though it were some kind of” what?
3. How does the narrator’s father always refer to Emperor Meiji when discussing news of him in the papers?
(a) His Majesty.
(b) His Excellency.
(c) The Wise One.
(d) The Holy One.
4. What is the name of the widow’s daughter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. How does K earn money to attend college after being disowned by his foster family?
(a) Working as a janitor.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what park do K and Sensei walk from the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. After discovering K’s body, whom does Sensei decide to wake?
3. What church does Sensei say was very powerful in his native district in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Women in those days did not wear their hair over their foreheads, but twisted it up like” what on top of their heads?
5. What is K wearing around his wrist when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer vacation from college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sensei go about getting approval to marry Ojosan? What is the result?
2. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. Describe the scene when Sensei discovers K’s suicide in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What is Sensei’s emotional response?
4. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. What does Sensei learn of his adoptive father from a friend in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. What does K relate to Sensei of his family dispute and his situation after their third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. What explanation does Sensei give for his lack of earlier response to Soseki’s letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. How does Sensei know K? How does K defy his parents’ wishes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. What does Sensei make of the difference he finds in his adoptive family when he returns for his third summer holiday in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. Why does Soseki’s mother urge Soseki to write to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)