Final Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase is K particularly interested in when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer from college?
(a) “Jesus and the books.”
(b) “Confucius and the fire.”
(c) “Mohammed and the sword.”
(d) “Buddha and the elephant.”
2. What disease killed Sensei’s father?
(a) Lung cancer.
3. Who was left in charge of Sensei after the death of his parents?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His brother.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His uncle.
4. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “In those days, such phrases as ‘the age of awakening’ or” what had not yet come into fashion?
(a) “Technological advancement.”
(b) “The new life.”
(c) “The way of the future.”
(d) “Prophecy fulfilled.”
5. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he was brought up to be what?
(a) An excitable man.
(b) An ethical man.
(c) An educated man.
(d) An endearing man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Past what temple does Sensei walk after crossing the Mansei Bridge in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What “delicacy” does the narrator’s father enjoy having his wife prepare for him while he is bed-ridden in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Women in those days did not wear their hair over their foreheads, but twisted it up like” what on top of their heads?
4. Through the grounds of what temple does Sensei enter the house of Okusan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. With whom has Okusan gone out when Sensei returns home to find Ojosan and K sitting alone in his room together the first time in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sensei learn about K’s discovery of the engagement in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How are Sensei’s early days with his adoptive family described in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What happens with K’s family during their third summer holiday from school in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. Describe the scene when Sensei discovers K’s suicide in Part III, Sensei’s Testament. What is Sensei’s emotional response?
5. What warning does Okusan give Sensei when he first broaches the topic of K coming to live at the house in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. How does Sensei’s past, revealed in his final letter, explain his demeanor in the earlier parts of the novel?
7. Why does Soseki’s mother urge Soseki to write to Sensei in Part II, My Parents and I?
8. What are the conflicting objectives presented to Soseki by his mother in Part II, My Parents and I?
9. How does Soseki’s father’s health correspond to the newspapers in Part II, My Parents and I?
10. How does Soseki’s father greet him when he arrives home in Part II, My Parents and I? What is Soseki’s impression?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)