|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 10:00 p.m.
(b) 8 p.m.
(c) 6 p.m.
(d) 10 a.m.
2. How many siblings does the narrator tell Sensei he has in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. What is the name of Sensei’s wife?
4. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
5. The narrator describes Sensei’s attitude as what, prior to their meeting in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Austere and arrogant.
(b) Somewhat unsociable.
(c) Overly gregarious.
(d) Sneakily condescending.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who translated Kokoroand wrote the book’s Forward?
2. When does the narrator tell Sensei he will be returning to Tokyo while he is home for his father’s illness in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. What garment of the narrator’s does Sensei’s wife say is hand-woven and that she’s never worked on such beautiful material before in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
5. Where is Sensei’s wife’s mother from?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
2. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
3. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
8. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
10. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)