|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sensei tells the narrator that there is no such thing as what in this world in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A woman who is honest.
(b) A hope for the end of the war.
(c) A stereotypical bad man.
(d) A father who loves his son.
2. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 2 weeks.
3. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
4. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A cedar tree.
(b) A pine tree.
(c) A maple tree.
(d) A gingko tree.
5. The author states in the Forward, “The best rendering of the Japanese word "kokoro" that I have seen is Lafcadio Hearn's, which is” what?
(c) “The heart of things.”
(d) “Strong wind.”
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Natsume Soseki sent to England as a government scholar?
2. Where is the narrator during the summer holidays when he first meets Sensei?
3. The narrator goes to stay with Sensei’s wife due to a slew of burglaries while Sensei is gone where in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Where do the narrator and Sensei go during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. General Nogi and who were the best-known heroes of the Russo-Japanese War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
2. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
3. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
6. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
8. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)