|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Sensei and his wife take a holiday and send a letter with a maple leaf enclosed to the narrator from in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. When the narrator first sees Sensei at a teahouse by the beach, he says that two days previously he had gone where?
3. What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
4. The narrator describes Sensei’s attitude as what, prior to their meeting in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Overly gregarious.
(b) Sneakily condescending.
(c) Somewhat unsociable.
(d) Austere and arrogant.
5. Sensei tells the narrator that there is no such thing as what in this world in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A hope for the end of the war.
(b) A woman who is honest.
(c) A father who loves his son.
(d) A stereotypical bad man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “The friendship that you sought in me is in reality a preparation for” what?
3. What is the name of Sensei’s wife?
4. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. How many tea houses does the narrator describe on the beach in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
5. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
6. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
8. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
9. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
10. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)