|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
3. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
4. Who translated Kokoroand wrote the book’s Forward?
(a) Albert Johnson.
(b) Jacob Winslow.
(c) Reginald Lee.
(d) Edwin McClellan.
5. What does Sensei’s wife send home with the narrator after he stays with her to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Coffee cakes.
(b) Tea cakes.
(c) Goji cakes.
(d) Fish cakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the narrator makes an amused comment about a loving couple in the garden during flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I, what does Sensei ask him?
2. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
3. What did Natsume Soseki study in college?
4. The narrator states of his feelings on women in Part I: Sensei and I, “Often, when I found myself face to face with a woman, my longing would suddenly disappear. Instead of being drawn to the woman, I would feel a kind of” what?
5. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
2. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
4. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
5. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
6. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
8. What financial advice does Sensei give Soseki in the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)