|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
2. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A cedar tree.
(b) A maple tree.
(c) A gingko tree.
(d) A pine tree.
3. When does the narrator tell Sensei he will be returning to Tokyo while he is home for his father’s illness in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. What relative of Sensei’s died of a similar ailment as the narrator’s father?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His mother-in-law.
(d) His father-in-law.
5. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sensei’s wife’s mother from?
2. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. The narrator says of Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “Before he could destroy his wife’s happiness, he” did what?
4. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. How much money does Sensei give to the son of the tree orchard in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What financial advice does Sensei give Soseki in the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
3. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
5. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
6. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
8. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
9. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
10. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)