|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of what month is the narrator’s graduation thesis due in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. When was Natsume Soseki sent to England as a government scholar?
3. What garment of the narrator’s does Sensei’s wife say is hand-woven and that she’s never worked on such beautiful material before in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A kimono.
(b) An Obi.
(c) A Kinchaku-bag.
(d) A Nagajuban.
4. Where do the narrator and Sensei go during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. What word from the narrative in Part I: Sensei and I, means requiring or characterized by excessive care or delicacy; painstaking?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. What relative of Sensei’s died of a similar ailment as the narrator’s father?
3. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
5. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
4. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
5. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
6. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
7. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
9. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)