|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
2. When does the narrator tell Sensei and his wife he will be back in Tokyo after he graduates in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I see that higher education has made you adept at” what?
(a) “Making friends.”
(b) “Empty rationalization.”
(c) “Thinking for yourself.”
(d) “Taking direction.”
4. When did Confucius live?
(a) 1012-945 BCE.
(b) 324-277 BCE.
(c) 108-55 BCE.
(d) 551-479 BCE.
5. When the narrator first sees Sensei at a teahouse by the beach, he says that two days previously he had gone where?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
4. Where does the narrator’s elder brother work?
5. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei left how long ago to go to the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
4. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
7. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
8. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
9. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
10. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)