|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
(a) Fukushima, Japan.
(b) Tokyo, Japan.
(c) Osaka, Japan.
(d) Kamakura, Japan.
2. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I see that higher education has made you adept at” what?
(a) “Empty rationalization.”
(b) “Taking direction.”
(c) “Making friends.”
(d) “Thinking for yourself.”
3. The narrator states of Sensei’s wife in Part I: Sensei and I, “I was deeply impressed by her capacity for sympathy and” what?
4. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 6 weeks.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 1 month.
5. The narrator states of his feelings on women in Part I: Sensei and I, “Often, when I found myself face to face with a woman, my longing would suddenly disappear. Instead of being drawn to the woman, I would feel a kind of” what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator’s mother suggests that the narrator take Sensei what when he returns to Tokyo in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
4. How often does Sensei go to the cemetery to visit his friend’s grave?
5. How does the narrator travel to the cemetery to meet with Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
2. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
3. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
4. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
5. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
6. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
8. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)