|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Sensei’s wife’s father from?
2. Where does the narrator’s elder brother work?
3. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A maple tree.
(b) A gingko tree.
(c) A cedar tree.
(d) A pine tree.
4. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. In what month is the narrator due to graduate from university in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Answer Questions
1. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
2. Sensei tells the narrator that there is no such thing as what in this world in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
5. What word used by Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, means a freeing from false belief?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
3. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
5. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
7. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
8. What financial advice does Sensei give Soseki in the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
10. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)