|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your” what?
(a) “Insults in the future.”
(b) “Humble opinion.”
(c) “Scorn along with it.”
(d) “Biased point of view.”
2. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
3. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) “Buddha be with you.”
(b) “Derive your strength from Buddha.”
(c) “All living things bear within themselves the essence of Buddha.”
(d) “Buddha is the light.”
4. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
(a) “Cruelly vindictive.”
(b) “Excellently moved.”
(c) “Obstinately vengeful.”
(d) “Awfully morose.”
5. By the end of what month is the narrator’s graduation thesis due in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Natsume Soseki sent to England as a government scholar?
2. The narrator’s mother suggests that the narrator take Sensei what when he returns to Tokyo in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. When the narrator first sees Sensei at a teahouse by the beach, he says that two days previously he had gone where?
4. What does Sensei’s wife send home with the narrator after he stays with her to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. The narrator says of Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “Before he could destroy his wife’s happiness, he” did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
3. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
5. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
6. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
7. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
10. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)