|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month is the narrator due to graduate from university in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. How many siblings does the narrator tell Sensei he has in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Where is Sensei’s wife’s father from?
4. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
(a) “His legacy.”
(b) “His estate.”
(c) “His widow.”
(d) “His children.”
5. Where is Sensei’s wife’s mother from?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Where do the narrator and Sensei go during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. What Japanese province is Sensei from?
5. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei left how long ago to go to the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
2. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
4. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
6. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
7. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
8. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
9. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)