|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the narrator and Sensei go during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. What word used by Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, means a freeing from false belief?
3. When did Confucius live?
(a) 108-55 BCE.
(b) 324-277 BCE.
(c) 1012-945 BCE.
(d) 551-479 BCE.
4. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I see that higher education has made you adept at” what?
(a) “Taking direction.”
(b) “Thinking for yourself.”
(c) “Making friends.”
(d) “Empty rationalization.”
5. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the narrator’s fellow vacationing student friend at the beach from in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Sensei tells the narrator that his Western friend is something of what in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. When the narrator first sees Sensei at a teahouse by the beach, he says that two days previously he had gone where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
2. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
4. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
5. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
7. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
8. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
9. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
10. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)