|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, that his inn was in a rather out-of-the-way district of the beach town and if one wanted to play billiards or eat ice cream, a rickshaw would cost how much?
(a) 40 sen.
(b) 35 sen.
(c) 35 sen.
(d) 20 sen.
2. What does Sensei’s wife send home with the narrator after he stays with her to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Fish cakes.
(b) Tea cakes.
(c) Coffee cakes.
(d) Goji cakes.
3. By the end of what month is the narrator’s graduation thesis due in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
(a) “His widow.”
(b) “His children.”
(c) “His estate.”
(d) “His legacy.”
5. Where do Sensei and his wife take a holiday and send a letter with a maple leaf enclosed to the narrator from in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei tells the narrator that his Western friend is something of what in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. How much money does Sensei give to the son of the tree orchard in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. What word from the narrative in Part I: Sensei and I, means requiring or characterized by excessive care or delicacy; painstaking?
4. The narrator tells Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “I value your opinions because they are the results of your” what?
5. How often does Sensei go to the cemetery to visit his friend’s grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
2. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
3. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
4. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
8. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
9. What financial advice does Sensei give Soseki in the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)