|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many tea houses does the narrator describe on the beach in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
2. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. When was Natsume Soseki sent to England as a government scholar?
4. Where is Sensei’s wife’s mother from?
5. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in Part I: Sensei and I, that although he profited greatly from his conversations with Sensei, he found him very unsatisfactory as what?
2. The narrator tells Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “I value your opinions because they are the results of your” what?
3. When the narrator first sees Sensei at a teahouse by the beach, he says that two days previously he had gone where?
4. What kind of illness has the narrator’s father suffered from for some time in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. How does the narrator travel to the cemetery to meet with Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
2. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
3. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
8. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
10. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)