|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the narrator’s fellow vacationing student friend at the beach from in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) The Eastern Provinces.
(b) The Northern Provinces.
(c) The Central Provinces.
(d) The Western Provinces.
2. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
(a) Fukushima, Japan.
(b) Tokyo, Japan.
(c) Osaka, Japan.
(d) Kamakura, Japan.
3. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
4. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, “At first, I thought of Sensei’s wife as a woman of” what?
5. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
(a) “His legacy.”
(b) “His children.”
(c) “His estate.”
(d) “His widow.”
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei left how long ago to go to the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. What did Natsume Soseki study in college?
5. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
3. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
4. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
5. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
9. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
10. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)