|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator’s elder brother work?
2. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 1 month.
3. The narrator says after his discussion with Sensei at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I, “Among the things that Sensei said, what interested me most was his remark that no man was immune to” what?
4. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
5. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
(a) 10 days.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states of Sensei’s wife in Part I: Sensei and I, “I was deeply impressed by her capacity for sympathy and” what?
2. General Nogi and who were the best-known heroes of the Russo-Japanese War?
3. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, “At first, I thought of Sensei’s wife as a woman of” what?
4. What word from the narrative in Part I: Sensei and I, means requiring or characterized by excessive care or delicacy; painstaking?
5. Where is the narrator during the summer holidays when he first meets Sensei?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
3. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
4. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
5. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
6. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
7. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
8. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
9. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
10. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)