|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What garment of the narrator’s does Sensei’s wife say is hand-woven and that she’s never worked on such beautiful material before in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A Kinchaku-bag.
(b) A kimono.
(c) An Obi.
(d) A Nagajuban.
2. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
4. When the narrator enters the cemetery to find Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, he describes a broad avenue bordered on each side by what?
(a) Cedar trees.
(b) Palm trees.
(c) Maple trees.
(d) Pine trees.
5. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator’s elder brother work?
2. NatsumeSoseki wrote Kokoro how many years after the death of Emperor Meiji?
3. How many tea houses does the narrator describe on the beach in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
4. What word used by Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, means a freeing from false belief?
5. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
4. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
5. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
6. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
7. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
8. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
9. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
10. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)