|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Sensei go to the cemetery to visit his friend’s grave?
(a) Once a day.
(b) Once a week.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Once a year.
2. By the end of what month is the narrator’s graduation thesis due in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. When the narrator enters the cemetery to find Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, he describes a broad avenue bordered on each side by what?
(a) Pine trees.
(b) Cedar trees.
(c) Maple trees.
(d) Palm trees.
4. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
5. The narrator states in Part I: Sensei and I, that although he profited greatly from his conversations with Sensei, he found him very unsatisfactory as what?
(a) A priest.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A brother.
(d) A mentor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator first sees Sensei at a teahouse by the beach, he says that two days previously he had gone where?
2. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
3. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
4. Why is the narrator’s vacationing student friend called home in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
5. Where is the narrator during the summer holidays when he first meets Sensei?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
2. What does Sensei reveal about greed and betrayal in his past at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
4. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
5. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
6. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
8. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
9. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
10. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)