|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Who translated Kokoroand wrote the book’s Forward?
(a) Edwin McClellan.
(b) Reginald Lee.
(c) Jacob Winslow.
(d) Albert Johnson.
4. The narrator says after his discussion with Sensei at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I, “Among the things that Sensei said, what interested me most was his remark that no man was immune to” what?
5. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei left how long ago to go to the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 3 hours.
(c) 45 mintues.
(d) 1 hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Confucius live?
2. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
3. Sensei asks the narrator while walking through the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I, “You have never thought seriously of the reality of” what?
4. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
6. How is Sensei’s drinking described in Part I, Sensei and I? Why is this significant?
7. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
10. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)