|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
2. What kind of illness has the narrator’s father suffered from for some time in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Kidney disease.
(b) Brain cancer.
(c) Heart disease.
3. Where is Sensei’s wife’s father from?
4. When does the narrator tell Sensei he will be returning to Tokyo while he is home for his father’s illness in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, that his inn was in a rather out-of-the-way district of the beach town and if one wanted to play billiards or eat ice cream, a rickshaw would cost how much?
(a) 20 sen.
(b) 35 sen.
(c) 35 sen.
(d) 40 sen.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Confucius live?
2. In what month is the narrator due to graduate from university in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Where is Sensei’s wife’s mother from?
4. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sensei’s wife reveal about her feelings for her husband while she and Soseki are in the house watching for burglars in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What event does Sensei’s wife describe that hints at the reason Sensei changed and became removed from the world in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
4. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
5. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
6. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
7. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
8. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
10. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)