|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator states in Part I: Sensei and I, that although he profited greatly from his conversations with Sensei, he found him very unsatisfactory as what?
(a) A brother.
(b) A priest.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A mentor.
2. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
3. Where do Sensei and his wife take a holiday and send a letter with a maple leaf enclosed to the narrator from in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, “At first, I thought of Sensei’s wife as a woman of” what?
5. How often does Sensei go to the cemetery to visit his friend’s grave?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Once a day.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Once a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
2. Sensei tells the narrator that his Western friend is something of what in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. In what month is the narrator due to graduate from university in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
5. How does the narrator travel to the cemetery to meet with Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
2. Who is the translator of Kokoro? What reasons does he give for his Soseki’s biographical information in the book’s Forward?
3. What conversation does the narrator have with Sensei regarding trust in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
5. What does the narrator tell Sensei of his father’s health when he returns to Tokyo in Part I, Sensei and I? How does Sensei respond?
6. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
7. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
8. How does Soseki respond to Sensei’s remark about Soseki seeking love in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
10. What does Sensei say of “unnatural death” in Part I, Sensei and I?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)