|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the narrator tell Sensei he will be returning to Tokyo while he is home for his father’s illness in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your” what?
(a) “Humble opinion.”
(b) “Scorn along with it.”
(c) “Biased point of view.”
(d) “Insults in the future.”
3. The narrator says after his discussion with Sensei at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I, “Among the things that Sensei said, what interested me most was his remark that no man was immune to” what?
4. What relative of Sensei’s died of a similar ailment as the narrator’s father?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His father-in-law.
(d) His mother-in-law.
5. Sensei tells the narrator that there is no such thing as what in this world in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A hope for the end of the war.
(b) A stereotypical bad man.
(c) A father who loves his son.
(d) A woman who is honest.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Sensei go to the cemetery to visit his friend’s grave?
2. How many tea houses does the narrator describe on the beach in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
3. The narrator states of his feelings on women in Part I: Sensei and I, “Often, when I found myself face to face with a woman, my longing would suddenly disappear. Instead of being drawn to the woman, I would feel a kind of” what?
4. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
5. The narrator states in Part I: Sensei and I, that although he profited greatly from his conversations with Sensei, he found him very unsatisfactory as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
2. What does Sensei ask Soseki on their walk in the tree nursery after Soseki has completed his thesis in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. Where does the narrator first see Sensei? How does he go about approaching him?
4. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
6. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
7. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
8. When and where was Kokoro first published? What insight does the translator give to the meaning of the title in the Forward?
9. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
10. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)