|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
2. The narrator goes to stay with Sensei’s wife due to a slew of burglaries while Sensei is gone where in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A funeral.
(b) A wedding.
(c) A dinner party.
(d) A graduation.
3. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
4. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
5. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states in the Forward, “The best rendering of the Japanese word "kokoro" that I have seen is Lafcadio Hearn's, which is” what?
2. Why is the narrator’s vacationing student friend called home in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
3. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. Sensei tells the narrator that there is no such thing as what in this world in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author of the Forward say of Soseki Natsume’s education and works?
2. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
3. Soseki has said that he is often disappointed by Sensei’s responses. How is this illustrated after Soseki visits Sensei after completing his term paper in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. What occurrence leads up to Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of guilt in love in Part I, Sensei and I?
5. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
6. Why does the narrator return home in Part I, Sensei and I? How does he depict his first days there?
7. Why does Soseki want to know about Sensei’s past? What conversation takes place regarding trust at the tree nursery in Part I, Sensei and I?
8. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
9. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
10. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)