Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Soseki sees Sensei as the one ___________ person in a city of people who appear so very much alike.
2. What happens when Sensei will not clarify the type of temptations he says will cause people to be evil?
(a) Sensei falls asleep.
(b) Soseki swears to never see him again.
(c) Sensei storms off.
(d) Soseki storms off.
3. Soseki says that he is often ____________ by the responses that Sensei gives as they are speaking with each other.
4. Soseki seems to have a lack of _____________, which becomes apparent when he talks with Sensei.
(a) Common sense.
5. In 1900, where was Soseki sent in order to act as a governor scholar for his country?
(c) United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was during the __________ era, which lasted from 1868 to 1912, that Japan emerged as a modern nation.
2. Sensei says that Soseki makes fun of ___________ because he has never actually experienced it himself.
3. In one of Soseki's novels, a character cries out: "How can I ________, except through faith, madness, or death?"
4. When Sensei was at university, a good friend of his died a/an _____________ death right before graduation.
5. Soon, Sensei asks Soseki why _____________, though he does enjoy the company of this new man in his life.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the question Sensei has for Soseki during their visits together, one which he repeats often?
2. While Soseki's mother does not think Soseki should go, she also concedes that his action would make him a good son. What should Soseki not let his father die not knowing?
3. What was the educational background of Soseki according to the foreword section of the book "Kokoro"?
4. When does Sensei apologize to Soseki during their conversation about guilt during one of their meetings?
5. What is the story Sensei tells to Soseki upon his return to Tokyo to repay the loan he took out?
6. In relation to his new love for Ojosan, what does Sensei admonish K for doing?
7. What has Soseki anticipated for that fateful day at the beach according to his writing in the book?
8. Why does Sensei think Soseki makes fun of others who are in love with each other and showing it?
9. What happens after Soseki learns that his father has a promising prognosis for his illness?
10. What is revealed about the wealth of Soskei's family when Sensei asks him about it?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)