|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Natsume Soseki study in college?
(b) English literature.
2. The narrator’s mother suggests that the narrator take Sensei what when he returns to Tokyo in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Loaves of bread.
(b) Dried mushrooms.
(c) Lychee fruit.
(d) Goji berries.
3. Where was Natsume Soseki educated, according to the book’s Forward?
(a) Waseda University.
(b) Hokkaido University.
(c) Imperial University.
(d) Kumamoto University.
4. Who translated Kokoroand wrote the book’s Forward?
(a) Albert Johnson.
(b) Jacob Winslow.
(c) Edwin McClellan.
(d) Reginald Lee.
5. What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
2. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. When does the narrator tell Sensei he will be returning to Tokyo while he is home for his father’s illness in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed through Soseki and Sensei’s discussion of trust in the first section of Part I, Sensei and I?
2. How does Sensei respond when the narrator asks him to clarify his meaning of “guilt” in Part I, Sensei and I?
3. How does the narrator perceive Sensei’s relationship with his wife in Part I, Sensei and I?
4. Describe the setting of Kokoro. Where does most of the action in the novel take place?
5. Describe Sensei’s demeanor toward Soseki upon their meeting. Does Sensei welcome Soseki’s company?
6. What leads to Soseki’s return to Tokyo after staying with his parents in Part I, Sensei and I? What does Sensei tell him when he first visits after his return?
7. Where is Sensei when the narrator first goes to his home in Tokyo? Where does the narrator eventually find Sensei?
8. What does the novel’s translator write about the language in Kokoroin the Forward?
9. What makes Sensei stand out to the narrator when he first sees him? Why does he seek Sensei’s company?
10. What is the narrative point-of-view in Kokoro? How is this perspective fitting for the novel?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)