|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After asking for Ojosan’s hand in marriage, where does Sensei leave the house to go in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What word from the novel refers to a Japanese stringed instrument consisting of a rectangular wooden body over which are stretched silk strings?
3. K’s foster parents sent him to Tokyo to study what, according to Sensei in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(b) The English language.
4. Sensei tells the narrator in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he wants to reveal his past to the narrator because he is what?
(a) Going to be Emperor.
(c) Getting married.
5. What is K wearing around his wrist when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer vacation from college?
(a) A rosary.
(b) A watch.
(c) A piece of rope.
(d) A cast.
6. Sensei claims in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “I do believe that for love to grow there must first be the impact of” what?
7. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “As I look about me, I find that I really have no” what?
8. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “The development—or the destruction—of man’s body and mind depends upon” what?
(a) “Internal stimuli.”
(b) “Natural forces.”
(c) “External stimuli.”
(d) “Spiritual forces.”
9. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means flirtation?
10. What does the narrator buy to put on the flag pole after Emperor Meiji’s death in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) A tulip wreath.
(b) A fish head.
(c) Black crepe.
(d) Origami cranes.
11. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “There are advantages and disadvantages in having one's children” what?
(b) Learn karate.
12. What poems does Sensei ask K if he knows after a game of cards in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The haikus of Matsuo Basho.
(b) The Heike Monogatari.
(c) The poems of Monk Sogi.
(d) The HyakuninIsshu poems.
13. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I that the younger generation only knows how to do what?
(a) Worship the emperor.
(b) Complain about everything.
(c) Enjoy life.
(d) Spend money.
14. Okusan takes Sensei out to dinner at a restaurant on what street in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
15. Where do Sensei and K go after leaving Hota during their summer vacation together in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the medieval Japanese act of vassals committing ritual suicide upon the death of their lord?
2. Who was left in charge of Sensei after the death of his parents?
3. When was Emperor Meiji born?
4. How many siblings does Ojosan have in the novel?
5. Where is K buried in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)