|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does K tell Sensei he had met Ojosan by chance and walked her home in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How old was General Nogi when he died?
3. What phrase does Sensei say of K “described completely his daily life” in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) “Consumption by fear.”
(b) “Level of education.”
(c) “Purity of spirit.”
(d) “Concentration of mind.”
4. What church does Sensei say was very powerful in his native district in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The Denzuin church.
(b) The Myojin church.
(c) The Shinshu church.
(d) The Hongan church.
5. K was adopted into the home of what?
(a) A general.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A priest.
(d) A samurai.
6. What word does the narrator use in Part II, My Parents and I, meaning an instance of talkativeness or garrulity?
7. What is the name of the widow’s daughter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “I was like a man who runs to the edge of a cliff, and looking down, sees that the abyss is” what?
9. What insects does the narrator hear singing outside his window at his family home in Part II, My Parents and I?
10. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “There are advantages and disadvantages in having one's children” what?
(d) Learn karate.
11. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means flirtation?
12. What job offer does a friend from school send to the narrator in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) A government position.
(b) A secondary teaching post.
(c) A laborer position.
(d) A managerial position.
13. Who informs Sensei of the widow and her vacant room in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A confectioner.
(c) A banker.
(d) A butcher.
14. Through the grounds of what temple does Sensei enter the house of Okusan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
15. What is the name of the widow and Sensei’s landlord in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious book does Sensei find in K’s room at the temple after he returns from his first summer vacation at college?
2. Who was left in charge of Sensei after the death of his parents?
3. The narrator states in Part II, My Parents and I, “My mother seemed to attach about as much importance to my graduation as she would have done to my” what?
4. What “old-fashioned phrase” does Sensei use to describe K’s situation at home in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. When Sensei returns from summer vacation after his first year in college, he finds K living in a dirty temple by what?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)