|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What indiscretion of his uncle’s does Sensei learn about on his third summer home from college in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) He has a drinking problem.
(b) He has a mistress in town.
(c) He has divorced his wife.
(d) He is a political spy.
2. What does Okusan bring to Sensei after he says he is not feeling well in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) A trout fillet.
(b) Scrambled eggs.
(c) Buckwheat gruel.
(d) Rice cakes.
3. K was the son of a priest in what sect?
4. Sensei describes walking up the slope of Koishikawa toward what temple in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) Konnyaku-Emma Temple.
(b) Shinshu temple.
(c) The Temple of Myojin.
(d) Denzuin Temple.
5. How does the narrator’s father always refer to Emperor Meiji when discussing news of him in the papers?
(a) His Majesty.
(b) The Wise One.
(c) The Holy One.
(d) His Excellency.
6. When was General Nogi born?
7. What refers to the medieval Japanese act of vassals committing ritual suicide upon the death of their lord?
8. How many days before the narrator leaves for Tokyo does his father have a fainting spell in Part II, My Parents and I?
9. How did K die?
(a) He was hung.
(b) He committed suicide.
(c) He had typhoid.
(d) He had cancer.
10. What is the name of the widow and Sensei’s landlord in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
11. Sensei and K decide to go to the coast of where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament during summer vacation?
12. Sensei has a dining table specially made for Okusan by a furniture maker where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
13. When did Emperor Meiji die historically?
14. Why does the narrator’s sister not return home while their father is ill in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) She fears having a miscarriage.
(b) She doesn't get along with her mother.
(c) She doesn't like the countryside.
(d) She doesn't get along with her father.
15. Sensei explains in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that rickshaw wheels then did not have what, as they do now?
(b) Lug nuts.
(c) Rubber tires.
(d) Valve stems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Past what temple does Sensei walk after crossing the Mansei Bridge in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. After asking for Ojosan’s hand in marriage, where does Sensei leave the house to go in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. How does K earn money to attend college after being disowned by his foster family?
4. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “As I look about me, I find that I really have no” what?
5. What is Sensei speaking of when he says they “are not meant to stir the air only: they are capable of moving greater things” in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)