|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase is K particularly interested in when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer from college?
(a) “Jesus and the books.”
(b) “Confucius and the fire.”
(c) “Mohammed and the sword.”
(d) “Buddha and the elephant.”
2. What disease killed Sensei’s father?
(a) Lung cancer.
3. Who was left in charge of Sensei after the death of his parents?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His brother.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His uncle.
4. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “In those days, such phrases as ‘the age of awakening’ or” what had not yet come into fashion?
(a) “Technological advancement.”
(b) “The new life.”
(c) “The way of the future.”
(d) “Prophecy fulfilled.”
5. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he was brought up to be what?
(a) An excitable man.
(b) An ethical man.
(c) An educated man.
(d) An endearing man.
6. Past what temple does Sensei walk after crossing the Mansei Bridge in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) A Shinshu temple.
(c) The Temple of Myojin.
(d) Denzuin Temple.
7. What “delicacy” does the narrator’s father enjoy having his wife prepare for him while he is bed-ridden in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) Fried mushrooms.
(b) Grilled rice cakes.
(c) Dolphin fin soup.
(d) Whale steak.
8. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Women in those days did not wear their hair over their foreheads, but twisted it up like” what on top of their heads?
(a) “Jungle vines.”
(b) “Snake coils.”
(c) “Pig tails.”
9. Through the grounds of what temple does Sensei enter the house of Okusan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. With whom has Okusan gone out when Sensei returns home to find Ojosan and K sitting alone in his room together the first time in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The maid.
11. Where do Sensei, the widow, and her daughter go shopping for clothes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
12. Where did Sensei visit before leaving his home for Tokyo after the quarrel with his uncle in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) His parents’ graves.
(b) The nunnery.
(c) The temple square.
(d) His sister's grave.
13. What is the name of the widow and Sensei’s landlord in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
14. Who informs Sensei of the widow and her vacant room in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) A butcher.
(b) A banker.
(c) A confectioner.
(d) A farmer.
15. What does the narrator buy to put on the flag pole after Emperor Meiji’s death in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) A fish head.
(b) Origami cranes.
(c) A tulip wreath.
(d) Black crepe.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sensei returns from summer vacation after his first year in college, he finds K living in a dirty temple by what?
2. To what park do K and Sensei walk from the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. After asking for Ojosan’s hand in marriage, where does Sensei leave the house to go in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. What job offer does a friend from school send to the narrator in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. What indiscretion of his uncle’s does Sensei learn about on his third summer home from college in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)