|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On their first summer break in college, K rents a room in a temple where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament that in his time, there were already a few high-class boarding houses for college students located where?
(a) The Yedo area.
(b) The Ueno area.
(c) The Boshu area.
(d) The Hongo area.
3. What insects does the narrator hear singing outside his window at his family home in Part II, My Parents and I?
4. To what park do K and Sensei walk from the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) Hongo park.
(b) Ueno Park.
(c) Kyushu park.
(d) Yedo park.
5. K tells Sensei in Part III, Sensei’s Testament that he doesn’t mind deceiving his foster parents so long as it will lead him to what?
(a) “A better life.”
(b) “Important answers.”
(c) “The true way.”
(d) “Enormous wealth.”
6. Through the grounds of what temple does Sensei enter the house of Okusan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
7. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “I was like a man who runs to the edge of a cliff, and looking down, sees that the abyss is” what?
8. What disease killed Sensei’s father?
(b) Lung cancer.
9. The narrator states in Part II, My Parents and I, “My mother seemed to attach about as much importance to my graduation as she would have done to my” what?
(d) “First child.”
10. What is the name of the widow’s daughter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
11. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “In those days, such phrases as ‘the age of awakening’ or” what had not yet come into fashion?
(a) “The way of the future.”
(b) “The new life.”
(c) “Technological advancement.”
(d) “Prophecy fulfilled.”
12. What refers to the medieval Japanese act of vassals committing ritual suicide upon the death of their lord?
13. What job offer does a friend from school send to the narrator in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) A secondary teaching post.
(b) A laborer position.
(c) A managerial position.
(d) A government position.
14. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I that the younger generation only knows how to do what?
(a) Complain about everything.
(b) Worship the emperor.
(c) Spend money.
(d) Enjoy life.
15. When Sensei returns from summer vacation after his first year in college, he finds K living in a dirty temple by what?
(a) The military fort.
(b) The Emperor’s castle.
(c) The Great Kannon.
(d) The central Tokyo cemetery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei describes walking up the slope of Koishikawa toward what temple in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. What phrase is K particularly interested in when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer from college?
3. What does Okusan bring to Sensei after he says he is not feeling well in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. K was the son of a priest in what sect?
5. Sensei asks himself in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Can one expect the complicated mechanism of the human mind to betray its purposes so obviously, as though it were some kind of” what?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)