|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sensei tells the narrator in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he wants to reveal his past to the narrator because he is what?
(a) Going to be Emperor.
(b) Getting married.
2. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “There are advantages and disadvantages in having one's children” what?
(a) Learn karate.
3. Sensei apologizes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament for being what kind of person?
4. Sensei explains in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that rickshaw wheels then did not have what, as they do now?
(a) Lug nuts.
(c) Valve stems.
(d) Rubber tires.
5. What phrase is K particularly interested in when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer from college?
(a) “Buddha and the elephant.”
(b) “Confucius and the fire.”
(c) “Jesus and the books.”
(d) “Mohammed and the sword.”
6. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he was brought up to be what?
(a) An ethical man.
(b) An endearing man.
(c) An excitable man.
(d) An educated man.
7. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I that the younger generation only knows how to do what?
(a) Enjoy life.
(b) Worship the emperor.
(c) Spend money.
(d) Complain about everything.
8. What disease killed Sensei’s father?
(a) Lung cancer.
9. Sensei says of the financial agreement reached between him and his uncle that he had two options: to accept what was offered, or to do what?
(a) Withdraw from the family.
(b) Sue him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Propose a counter offer.
10. How does K earn money to attend college after being disowned by his foster family?
(b) Working as a janitor.
11. Why does the narrator’s sister not return home while their father is ill in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) She doesn't get along with her father.
(b) She fears having a miscarriage.
(c) She doesn't get along with her mother.
(d) She doesn't like the countryside.
12. Through the grounds of what temple does Sensei enter the house of Okusan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
13. How many days a week does K arrive home before Sensei in their last year at the university in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
14. What term refers to the military nobility of pre-industrial Japan?
15. After asking for Ojosan’s hand in marriage, where does Sensei leave the house to go in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious book does Sensei find in K’s room at the temple after he returns from his first summer vacation at college?
2. Where did Sensei attend college?
3. What job offer does a friend from school send to the narrator in Part II, My Parents and I?
4. With whom has Okusan gone out when Sensei returns home to find Ojosan and K sitting alone in his room together the first time in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means flirtation?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)