|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did K die?
(a) He was hung.
(b) He had typhoid.
(c) He had cancer.
(d) He committed suicide.
2. How many siblings does K have in the novel?
3. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he was brought up to be what?
(a) An educated man.
(b) An excitable man.
(c) An ethical man.
(d) An endearing man.
4. What does the narrator buy to put on the flag pole after Emperor Meiji’s death in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) Black crepe.
(b) A tulip wreath.
(c) Origami cranes.
(d) A fish head.
5. Sensei asks himself in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Can one expect the complicated mechanism of the human mind to betray its purposes so obviously, as though it were some kind of” what?
6. How many days before the narrator leaves for Tokyo does his father have a fainting spell in Part II, My Parents and I?
7. With whom has Okusan gone out when Sensei returns home to find Ojosan and K sitting alone in his room together the first time in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(d) The maid.
8. Okusan and Ojosan leave the house to visit relatives where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “I was like a man who runs to the edge of a cliff, and looking down, sees that the abyss is” what?
10. After asking for Ojosan’s hand in marriage, where does Sensei leave the house to go in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
11. Sensei claims in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that Sensei’s family attempted to force him into a marriage with whom while he was in college?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His sister.
12. What is the name of the childhood friend of the narrator’s father that comes to see him on his death bed in the military nobility of pre-industrial Japan?
13. Sensei says of the financial agreement reached between him and his uncle that he had two options: to accept what was offered, or to do what?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Withdraw from the family.
(c) Propose a counter offer.
(d) Sue him.
14. When did Emperor Meiji die historically?
15. Through the grounds of what temple does Sensei enter the house of Okusan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sensei say K was born in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. Sensei’s landlady tells him that the reason she wanted a boarder was what in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. The narrator tells his mother that he will have to go to Tokyo when in Part II, My Parents and I?
4. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “There are advantages and disadvantages in having one's children” what?
5. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament that in his time, there were already a few high-class boarding houses for college students located where?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)