|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What “old-fashioned phrase” does Sensei use to describe K’s situation at home in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) “Restricted to silence.”
(b) “Entered into the flame.”
(c) “Walking on eggshells.”
(d) “Expelled from his father’s house.”
2. How does K earn money to attend college after being disowned by his foster family?
(c) Working as a janitor.
3. How did K die?
(a) He was hung.
(b) He had cancer.
(c) He committed suicide.
(d) He had typhoid.
4. Where do Sensei and K go after leaving Hota during their summer vacation together in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. Sensei has a dining table specially made for Okusan by a furniture maker where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. What job offer does a friend from school send to the narrator in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) A managerial position.
(b) A government position.
(c) A secondary teaching post.
(d) A laborer position.
7. How does the narrator’s father always refer to Emperor Meiji when discussing news of him in the papers?
(a) The Wise One.
(b) His Excellency.
(c) The Holy One.
(d) His Majesty.
8. Past what temple does Sensei walk after crossing the Mansei Bridge in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The Temple of Myojin.
(c) Denzuin Temple.
(d) A Shinshu temple.
9. What poems does Sensei ask K if he knows after a game of cards in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The poems of Monk Sogi.
(b) The Heike Monogatari.
(c) The HyakuninIsshu poems.
(d) The haikus of Matsuo Basho.
10. In the middle of what month do K and Sensei return to college in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
11. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament that in his time, there were already a few high-class boarding houses for college students located where?
(a) The Ueno area.
(b) The Yedo area.
(c) The Boshu area.
(d) The Hongo area.
12. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “As I look about me, I find that I really have no” what?
13. The head of the family that was renting a room in the house that Sensei would eventually take was killed in what war, according to Sensei in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The Shimabara Rebellion.
(b) The Russo-Japanese War.
(c) The Indian-Japanese War.
(d) The Sino-Japanese War.
14. When does the narrator say he had come home in Part II, My Parents and I?
15. Through the grounds of what temple does Sensei enter the house of Okusan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the childhood friend of the narrator’s father that comes to see him on his death bed in the military nobility of pre-industrial Japan?
2. What is the name of the widow’s daughter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What word does the narrator use in Part II, My Parents and I, meaning an instance of talkativeness or garrulity?
4. What is K wearing around his wrist when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer vacation from college?
5. Okusan and Ojosan leave the house to visit relatives where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)