|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Women in those days did not wear their hair over their foreheads, but twisted it up like” what on top of their heads?
(a) “Snake coils.”
(b) “Jungle vines.”
(c) “Pig tails.”
2. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he was brought up to be what?
(a) An ethical man.
(b) An endearing man.
(c) An excitable man.
(d) An educated man.
3. What church does Sensei say was very powerful in his native district in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The Hongan church.
(b) The Denzuin church.
(c) The Myojin church.
(d) The Shinshu church.
4. How does Sensei presumably die at the end of the novel?
(a) He does of tuberculosis.
(b) He is murdered.
(c) He dies of cancer.
(d) He commits suicide.
5. How old was General Nogi when he died?
6. K’s foster parents sent him to Tokyo to study what, according to Sensei in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(c) The English language.
7. The head of the family that was renting a room in the house that Sensei would eventually take was killed in what war, according to Sensei in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The Russo-Japanese War.
(b) The Shimabara Rebellion.
(c) The Sino-Japanese War.
(d) The Indian-Japanese War.
8. How many siblings did Sensei have growing up?
9. Sensei’s landlady tells him that the reason she wanted a boarder was what in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(b) To find a suitor for her daughter.
10. What “old-fashioned phrase” does Sensei use to describe K’s situation at home in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) “Walking on eggshells.”
(b) “Expelled from his father’s house.”
(c) “Entered into the flame.”
(d) “Restricted to silence.”
11. The narrator states in Part II, My Parents and I, “My mother seemed to attach about as much importance to my graduation as she would have done to my” what?
(a) “First child.”
12. Where does Sensei say K was born in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(b) The Temple of Myojin.
(c) Denzuin Temple.
(d) A Shinshu temple.
13. Sensei says of the financial agreement reached between him and his uncle that he had two options: to accept what was offered, or to do what?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Propose a counter offer.
(c) Withdraw from the family.
(d) Sue him.
14. How does the narrator’s father always refer to Emperor Meiji when discussing news of him in the papers?
(a) His Majesty.
(b) The Holy One.
(c) His Excellency.
(d) The Wise One.
15. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “We are not in Tokyo, you know. Country people are rather” what?
(a) “Spiritual and loving.”
(b) “Simple and angry.”
(c) “Fussy and resentful.”
(d) “Humble and honest.”
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sensei asks for Ojosan’s hand in marriage, he says the conversation does not last longer than what in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How does K earn money to attend college after being disowned by his foster family?
3. Okusan takes Sensei out to dinner at a restaurant on what street in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. How many days a week does K arrive home before Sensei in their last year at the university in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. Sensei explains in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that rickshaw wheels then did not have what, as they do now?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)