|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sensei’s landlady tells him that the reason she wanted a boarder was what in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(b) To find a suitor for her daughter.
2. By what name does the narrator’s father refer to his wife in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. How does Sensei presumably die at the end of the novel?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He does of tuberculosis.
(c) He dies of cancer.
(d) He is murdered.
4. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “As I look about me, I find that I really have no” what?
5. K’s foster parents sent him to Tokyo to study what, according to Sensei in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The English language.
6. What job offer does a friend from school send to the narrator in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) A laborer position.
(b) A government position.
(c) A secondary teaching post.
(d) A managerial position.
7. What is the name of the childhood friend of the narrator’s father that comes to see him on his death bed in the military nobility of pre-industrial Japan?
8. What is Sensei speaking of when he says they “are not meant to stir the air only: they are capable of moving greater things” in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. How does the narrator’s father always refer to Emperor Meiji when discussing news of him in the papers?
(a) His Majesty.
(b) The Holy One.
(c) The Wise One.
(d) His Excellency.
10. Where did Sensei attend college?
11. With whom has Okusan gone out when Sensei returns home to find Ojosan and K sitting alone in his room together the first time in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(b) The maid.
12. What religious book does Sensei find in K’s room at the temple after he returns from his first summer vacation at college?
(a) A torah.
(b) A Koran.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A Vinaya.
13. What phrase is K particularly interested in when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer from college?
(a) “Buddha and the elephant.”
(b) “Jesus and the books.”
(c) “Mohammed and the sword.”
(d) “Confucius and the fire.”
14. What is the name of the narrator’s brother-in-law?
15. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament that in his time, there were already a few high-class boarding houses for college students located where?
(a) The Yedo area.
(b) The Boshu area.
(c) The Hongo area.
(d) The Ueno area.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei describes walking up the slope of Koishikawa toward what temple in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. How many days before the narrator leaves for Tokyo does his father have a fainting spell in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means asserting opinions in an arrogant manner?
4. Sensei tells the narrator in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he wants to reveal his past to the narrator because he is what?
5. Who informs Sensei of the widow and her vacant room in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)