|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What church does Sensei say was very powerful in his native district in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The Hongan church.
(b) The Myojin church.
(c) The Shinshu church.
(d) The Denzuin church.
2. What “old-fashioned phrase” does Sensei use to describe K’s situation at home in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) “Expelled from his father’s house.”
(b) “Entered into the flame.”
(c) “Restricted to silence.”
(d) “Walking on eggshells.”
3. How many siblings does K have in the novel?
4. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he was brought up to be what?
(a) An endearing man.
(b) An excitable man.
(c) An ethical man.
(d) An educated man.
5. Sensei has a dining table specially made for Okusan by a furniture maker where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
6. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “In those days, such phrases as ‘the age of awakening’ or” what had not yet come into fashion?
(a) “Technological advancement.”
(b) “The new life.”
(c) “Prophecy fulfilled.”
(d) “The way of the future.”
7. What does Okusan bring to Sensei after he says he is not feeling well in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) Rice cakes.
(b) Buckwheat gruel.
(c) Scrambled eggs.
(d) A trout fillet.
8. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Women in those days did not wear their hair over their foreheads, but twisted it up like” what on top of their heads?
(a) “Pig tails.”
(b) “Jungle vines.”
(d) “Snake coils.”
9. What is the name of the narrator’s brother-in-law?
10. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Since my past was experienced only by me, I might be excused if I regarded it as” what?
(a) “My being.”
(b) “My religion.”
(c) “My foundation.”
(d) “My property.”
11. What is the name of the widow and Sensei’s landlord in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
12. What is the name of the childhood friend of the narrator’s father that comes to see him on his death bed in the military nobility of pre-industrial Japan?
13. What is K wearing around his wrist when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer vacation from college?
(a) A rosary.
(b) A cast.
(c) A piece of rope.
(d) A watch.
14. K was the son of a priest in what sect?
15. Why does the narrator’s sister not return home while their father is ill in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) She doesn't like the countryside.
(b) She doesn't get along with her mother.
(c) She doesn't get along with her father.
(d) She fears having a miscarriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “We are not in Tokyo, you know. Country people are rather” what?
2. How does Sensei presumably die at the end of the novel?
3. What religious book does Sensei find in K’s room at the temple after he returns from his first summer vacation at college?
4. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament that in his time, there were already a few high-class boarding houses for college students located where?
5. Where did Sensei visit before leaving his home for Tokyo after the quarrel with his uncle in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)