|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means asserting opinions in an arrogant manner?
2. What refers to a system for structuring society around relationships derived from the holding of land in exchange for service or labor?
3. Who informs Sensei of the widow and her vacant room in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) A banker.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A confectioner.
(d) A butcher.
4. By what name does the narrator’s father refer to his wife in Part II, My Parents and I?
5. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “We are not in Tokyo, you know. Country people are rather” what?
(a) “Spiritual and loving.”
(b) “Fussy and resentful.”
(c) “Humble and honest.”
(d) “Simple and angry.”
6. How old was General Nogi when he died?
7. What religious book does Sensei find in K’s room at the temple after he returns from his first summer vacation at college?
(a) A Koran.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A Vinaya.
(d) A torah.
8. Sensei says he was not yet how old when he lost both of his parents in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. How does the narrator’s father always refer to Emperor Meiji when discussing news of him in the papers?
(a) His Excellency.
(b) The Holy One.
(c) His Majesty.
(d) The Wise One.
10. What is the name of the narrator’s brother-in-law?
11. Sensei apologizes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament for being what kind of person?
12. Past what temple does Sensei walk after crossing the Mansei Bridge in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) A Shinshu temple.
(b) The Temple of Myojin.
(d) Denzuin Temple.
13. Where did Sensei attend college?
14. Sensei’s landlady tells him that the reason she wanted a boarder was what in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) To find a suitor for her daughter.
15. How does Sensei presumably die at the end of the novel?
(a) He is murdered.
(b) He dies of cancer.
(c) He commits suicide.
(d) He does of tuberculosis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sensei speaking of when he says they “are not meant to stir the air only: they are capable of moving greater things” in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. K was adopted into the home of what?
3. Sensei describes the road between the stone bridge and where as being particularly bad in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. Sensei and K decide to go to the coast of where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament during summer vacation?
5. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “There are advantages and disadvantages in having one's children” what?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)