|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament that in his time, there were already a few high-class boarding houses for college students located where?
(a) The Ueno area.
(b) The Yedo area.
(c) The Hongo area.
(d) The Boshu area.
2. How many days before the narrator leaves for Tokyo does his father have a fainting spell in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. When does the narrator say he had come home in Part II, My Parents and I?
4. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “As I look about me, I find that I really have no” what?
5. What does the narrator buy to put on the flag pole after Emperor Meiji’s death in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) Black crepe.
(b) A fish head.
(c) Origami cranes.
(d) A tulip wreath.
6. Where did Sensei visit before leaving his home for Tokyo after the quarrel with his uncle in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The nunnery.
(b) The temple square.
(c) His sister's grave.
(d) His parents’ graves.
7. With whom has Okusan gone out when Sensei returns home to find Ojosan and K sitting alone in his room together the first time in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(d) The maid.
8. Sensei asks himself in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Can one expect the complicated mechanism of the human mind to betray its purposes so obviously, as though it were some kind of” what?
9. What “old-fashioned phrase” does Sensei use to describe K’s situation at home in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) “Restricted to silence.”
(b) “Entered into the flame.”
(c) “Expelled from his father’s house.”
(d) “Walking on eggshells.”
10. Sensei’s family home was how far from the nearest city when he was growing up, according to his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) 4 miles.
(b) 6 miles.
(c) 2 miles.
(d) 14 miles.
11. What is the name of the widow and Sensei’s landlord in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
12. What word from the novel refers to a Japanese stringed instrument consisting of a rectangular wooden body over which are stretched silk strings?
13. Sensei explains in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that rickshaw wheels then did not have what, as they do now?
(a) Rubber tires.
(b) Lug nuts.
(c) Valve stems.
14. Why does the narrator’s sister not return home while their father is ill in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) She fears having a miscarriage.
(b) She doesn't like the countryside.
(c) She doesn't get along with her father.
(d) She doesn't get along with her mother.
15. Sensei says of the financial agreement reached between him and his uncle that he had two options: to accept what was offered, or to do what?
(a) Withdraw from the family.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Sue him.
(d) Propose a counter offer.
Short Answer Questions
1. When talking with K after leaving the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, Sensei compares himself to what crouching before a lamb?
2. Sensei apologizes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament for being what kind of person?
3. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Since my past was experienced only by me, I might be excused if I regarded it as” what?
4. Where does Sensei say K was born in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. How many siblings does K have in the novel?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)