|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Sensei and K go after leaving Hota during their summer vacation together in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. After asking for Ojosan’s hand in marriage, where does Sensei leave the house to go in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. Sensei describes the road between the stone bridge and where as being particularly bad in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
4. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I that the younger generation only knows how to do what?
(a) Enjoy life.
(b) Complain about everything.
(c) Worship the emperor.
(d) Spend money.
5. What is K wearing around his wrist when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer vacation from college?
(a) A watch.
(b) A cast.
(c) A piece of rope.
(d) A rosary.
6. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Since my past was experienced only by me, I might be excused if I regarded it as” what?
(a) “My foundation.”
(b) “My being.”
(c) “My religion.”
(d) “My property.”
7. How does K earn money to attend college after being disowned by his foster family?
(d) Working as a janitor.
8. Through the grounds of what temple does Sensei enter the house of Okusan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. Sensei says he was not yet how old when he lost both of his parents in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
10. Why does the narrator’s sister not return home while their father is ill in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) She fears having a miscarriage.
(b) She doesn't like the countryside.
(c) She doesn't get along with her father.
(d) She doesn't get along with her mother.
11. Sensei apologizes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament for being what kind of person?
12. How old was General Nogi when he died?
13. On their first summer break in college, K rents a room in a temple where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
14. What job offer does a friend from school send to the narrator in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) A laborer position.
(b) A managerial position.
(c) A secondary teaching post.
(d) A government position.
15. When was Emperor Meiji born?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was General Nogi born?
2. What refers to the medieval Japanese act of vassals committing ritual suicide upon the death of their lord?
3. What word from the novel refers to a Japanese stringed instrument consisting of a rectangular wooden body over which are stretched silk strings?
4. Sensei claims in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “I do believe that for love to grow there must first be the impact of” what?
5. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “The development—or the destruction—of man’s body and mind depends upon” what?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)