|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When talking with K after leaving the library in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, Sensei compares himself to what crouching before a lamb?
(a) A leopard.
(b) A crocodile.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A wolf.
2. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “As I look about me, I find that I really have no” what?
3. What “delicacy” does the narrator’s father enjoy having his wife prepare for him while he is bed-ridden in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) Whale steak.
(b) Fried mushrooms.
(c) Dolphin fin soup.
(d) Grilled rice cakes.
4. Where did Sensei visit before leaving his home for Tokyo after the quarrel with his uncle in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The nunnery.
(b) His sister's grave.
(c) His parents’ graves.
(d) The temple square.
5. Sensei claims in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “I do believe that for love to grow there must first be the impact of” what?
6. Sensei describes walking up the slope of Koishikawa toward what temple in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) Konnyaku-Emma Temple.
(b) Shinshu temple.
(c) The Temple of Myojin.
(d) Denzuin Temple.
7. How many days a week does K arrive home before Sensei in their last year at the university in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
8. After asking for Ojosan’s hand in marriage, where does Sensei leave the house to go in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
9. The narrator tells his mother that he will have to go to Tokyo when in Part II, My Parents and I?
10. What is the name of the childhood friend of the narrator’s father that comes to see him on his death bed in the military nobility of pre-industrial Japan?
11. What word from the novel refers to a Japanese stringed instrument consisting of a rectangular wooden body over which are stretched silk strings?
12. What is the name of the widow and Sensei’s landlord in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
13. How many days before the narrator leaves for Tokyo does his father have a fainting spell in Part II, My Parents and I?
14. When does the narrator say he had come home in Part II, My Parents and I?
15. When Sensei returns from summer vacation after his first year in college, he finds K living in a dirty temple by what?
(a) The central Tokyo cemetery.
(b) The military fort.
(c) The Great Kannon.
(d) The Emperor’s castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name does the narrator’s father refer to his wife in Part II, My Parents and I?
2. Through the grounds of what temple does Sensei enter the house of Okusan in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means asserting opinions in an arrogant manner?
4. Okusan and Ojosan leave the house to visit relatives where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. Sensei has a dining table specially made for Okusan by a furniture maker where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)