|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What indiscretion of his uncle’s does Sensei learn about on his third summer home from college in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) He has divorced his wife.
(b) He has a drinking problem.
(c) He has a mistress in town.
(d) He is a political spy.
2. Where do Sensei, the widow, and her daughter go shopping for clothes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. What poems does Sensei ask K if he knows after a game of cards in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) The haikus of Matsuo Basho.
(b) The Heike Monogatari.
(c) The HyakuninIsshu poems.
(d) The poems of Monk Sogi.
4. Sensei’s landlady tells him that the reason she wanted a boarder was what in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) To find a suitor for her daughter.
5. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament that in his time, there were already a few high-class boarding houses for college students located where?
(a) The Boshu area.
(b) The Ueno area.
(c) The Hongo area.
(d) The Yedo area.
6. What is K wearing around his wrist when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer vacation from college?
(a) A piece of rope.
(b) A cast.
(c) A watch.
(d) A rosary.
7. Who was left in charge of Sensei after the death of his parents?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His brother.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His grandfather.
8. Where did Sensei visit before leaving his home for Tokyo after the quarrel with his uncle in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) His sister's grave.
(b) The temple square.
(c) His parents’ graves.
(d) The nunnery.
9. What term refers to the military nobility of pre-industrial Japan?
10. What does Okusan bring to Sensei after he says he is not feeling well in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) Buckwheat gruel.
(b) Rice cakes.
(c) A trout fillet.
(d) Scrambled eggs.
11. K was the son of a priest in what sect?
12. What “delicacy” does the narrator’s father enjoy having his wife prepare for him while he is bed-ridden in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) Dolphin fin soup.
(b) Fried mushrooms.
(c) Grilled rice cakes.
(d) Whale steak.
13. How does Sensei presumably die at the end of the novel?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He does of tuberculosis.
(c) He dies of cancer.
(d) He is murdered.
14. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “We are not in Tokyo, you know. Country people are rather” what?
(a) “Simple and angry.”
(b) “Spiritual and loving.”
(c) “Fussy and resentful.”
(d) “Humble and honest.”
15. Where is K buried in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei and K decide to go to the coast of where in Part III, Sensei’s Testament during summer vacation?
2. How many days before the narrator leaves for Tokyo does his father have a fainting spell in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. The narrator tells his mother that he will have to go to Tokyo when in Part II, My Parents and I?
4. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Women in those days did not wear their hair over their foreheads, but twisted it up like” what on top of their heads?
5. When did Emperor Meiji die historically?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)