|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means asserting opinions in an arrogant manner?
2. What “old-fashioned phrase” does Sensei use to describe K’s situation at home in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) “Restricted to silence.”
(b) “Walking on eggshells.”
(c) “Expelled from his father’s house.”
(d) “Entered into the flame.”
3. What religious book does Sensei find in K’s room at the temple after he returns from his first summer vacation at college?
(a) A Vinaya.
(b) A Koran.
(c) A torah.
(d) A Bible.
4. What is K wearing around his wrist when Sensei finds him living in the temple after their first summer vacation from college?
(a) A cast.
(b) A rosary.
(c) A piece of rope.
(d) A watch.
5. The narrator’s father says in Part II, My Parents and I, “There are advantages and disadvantages in having one's children” what?
(b) Learn karate.
6. Why does the narrator’s sister not return home while their father is ill in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) She fears having a miscarriage.
(b) She doesn't get along with her mother.
(c) She doesn't get along with her father.
(d) She doesn't like the countryside.
7. How many siblings does K have in the novel?
8. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “As I look about me, I find that I really have no” what?
9. Sensei writes in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “I was like a man who runs to the edge of a cliff, and looking down, sees that the abyss is” what?
10. How many siblings does Ojosan have in the novel?
11. What job offer does a friend from school send to the narrator in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) A secondary teaching post.
(b) A managerial position.
(c) A government position.
(d) A laborer position.
12. The narrator tells his mother that he will have to go to Tokyo when in Part II, My Parents and I?
13. What refers to a system for structuring society around relationships derived from the holding of land in exchange for service or labor?
14. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “In those days, such phrases as ‘the age of awakening’ or” what had not yet come into fashion?
(a) “Prophecy fulfilled.”
(b) “The new life.”
(c) “Technological advancement.”
(d) “The way of the future.”
15. Past what temple does Sensei walk after crossing the Mansei Bridge in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
(a) A Shinshu temple.
(c) The Temple of Myojin.
(d) Denzuin Temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the medieval Japanese act of vassals committing ritual suicide upon the death of their lord?
2. Sensei’s family home was how far from the nearest city when he was growing up, according to his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
3. Sensei says in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, “Women in those days did not wear their hair over their foreheads, but twisted it up like” what on top of their heads?
4. Sensei says he was not yet how old when he lost both of his parents in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
5. What word from Part III, Sensei’s Testament means flirtation?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)