|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sensei tells the narrator that there is no such thing as what in this world in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A stereotypical bad man.
(b) A father who loves his son.
(c) A hope for the end of the war.
(d) A woman who is honest.
2. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “The friendship that you sought in me is in reality a preparation for” what?
(a) “The love that you lost from your family.”
(b) “The love that you will seek in a woman.”
(c) “Facing your true self.”
(d) “Having children of your own.”
3. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
4. Sensei asks the narrator while walking through the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I, “You have never thought seriously of the reality of” what?
(b) “Having children.”
5. Who translated Kokoroand wrote the book’s Forward?
(a) Albert Johnson.
(b) Jacob Winslow.
(c) Edwin McClellan.
(d) Reginald Lee.
6. What does Sensei’s wife mention as a possible cause of the change in Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) The death of a friend of his.
(b) A disagreement with the neighbor.
(c) His new diet.
(d) The views of the new emperor.
7. Where is the narrator’s fellow vacationing student friend at the beach from in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) The Eastern Provinces.
(b) The Northern Provinces.
(c) The Central Provinces.
(d) The Western Provinces.
8. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
(a) “Obstinately vengeful.”
(b) “Cruelly vindictive.”
(c) “Excellently moved.”
(d) “Awfully morose.”
9. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 6 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 1 month.
10. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
11. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
12. NatsumeSoseki wrote Kokoro how many years after the death of Emperor Meiji?
13. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
(a) “His children.”
(b) “His estate.”
(c) “His widow.”
(d) “His legacy.”
14. What game does the narrator play with his father while he is recovering to appease his boredom in Part I: Sensei and I?
15. What is the name of Sensei’s wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. General Nogi and who were the best-known heroes of the Russo-Japanese War?
3. What relative of Sensei’s died of a similar ailment as the narrator’s father?
4. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your” what?
5. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)