|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Sensei give to the son of the tree orchard in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 5 sen.
(b) 50 sen.
(c) 10 sen.
(d) 20 sen.
2. What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
3. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
(a) 4 days.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 10 days.
4. The narrator states of his feelings on women in Part I: Sensei and I, “Often, when I found myself face to face with a woman, my longing would suddenly disappear. Instead of being drawn to the woman, I would feel a kind of” what?
5. The narrator’s vacationing student friend is called home after they have been at the beach town for how long in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 6 days.
(d) 1 day.
6. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
7. When did Confucius live?
(a) 108-55 BCE.
(b) 1012-945 BCE.
(c) 324-277 BCE.
(d) 551-479 BCE.
8. The narrator’s mother suggests that the narrator take Sensei what when he returns to Tokyo in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Dried mushrooms.
(b) Lychee fruit.
(c) Goji berries.
(d) Loaves of bread.
9. When the narrator enters the cemetery to find Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, he describes a broad avenue bordered on each side by what?
(a) Pine trees.
(b) Cedar trees.
(c) Maple trees.
(d) Palm trees.
10. Where do Sensei and the narrator walk toward after leaving the gardens during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
11. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
12. The narrator describes Sensei’s attitude as what, prior to their meeting in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Sneakily condescending.
(b) Austere and arrogant.
(c) Overly gregarious.
(d) Somewhat unsociable.
13. Where is Sensei’s wife’s father from?
14. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your” what?
(a) “Insults in the future.”
(b) “Scorn along with it.”
(c) “Biased point of view.”
(d) “Humble opinion.”
15. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
3. When the narrator first sees Sensei at a teahouse by the beach, he says that two days previously he had gone where?
4. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)