|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator states of Sensei’s wife in Part I: Sensei and I, “I was deeply impressed by her capacity for sympathy and” what?
2. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
3. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
(a) Fukushima, Japan.
(b) Osaka, Japan.
(c) Kamakura, Japan.
(d) Tokyo, Japan.
4. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 10 a.m.
(b) 10:00 p.m.
(c) 8 p.m.
(d) 6 p.m.
5. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
6. Sensei repeatedly tells the narrator that there is what in loving in Part I: Sensei and I?
7. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
(a) 4 days.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 10 days.
8. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 1 week.
9. How many siblings does the narrator tell Sensei he has in Part I: Sensei and I?
10. Where does the narrator’s elder brother work?
11. Why is the narrator’s vacationing student friend called home in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) His brother is getting married.
(b) His mother is ill.
(c) His sister is having a baby.
(d) His parents need help with home repairs.
12. When does the narrator tell Sensei he will be returning to Tokyo while he is home for his father’s illness in Part I: Sensei and I?
13. When did Confucius live?
(a) 551-479 BCE.
(b) 108-55 BCE.
(c) 324-277 BCE.
(d) 1012-945 BCE.
14. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “The friendship that you sought in me is in reality a preparation for” what?
(a) “The love that you lost from your family.”
(b) “Having children of your own.”
(c) “The love that you will seek in a woman.”
(d) “Facing your true self.”
15. When was Natsume Soseki sent to England as a government scholar?
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Sensei go to the cemetery to visit his friend’s grave?
2. The narrator states in Part I: Sensei and I, that although he profited greatly from his conversations with Sensei, he found him very unsatisfactory as what?
3. In what month is the narrator due to graduate from university in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Where is the narrator’s fellow vacationing student friend at the beach from in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. By the end of what month is the narrator’s graduation thesis due in Part I: Sensei and I?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)