|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says after his discussion with Sensei at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I, “Among the things that Sensei said, what interested me most was his remark that no man was immune to” what?
2. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
3. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, that he might have never noticed Sensei had he not been accompanied by what?
(a) A Southerner.
(b) An Easterner.
(c) A Westerner.
(d) A Northerner.
5. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “The friendship that you sought in me is in reality a preparation for” what?
(a) “Facing your true self.”
(b) “Having children of your own.”
(c) “The love that you lost from your family.”
(d) “The love that you will seek in a woman.”
6. Sensei asks the narrator while walking through the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I, “You have never thought seriously of the reality of” what?
(a) “Having children.”
7. The author states in the Forward, “The best rendering of the Japanese word "kokoro" that I have seen is Lafcadio Hearn's, which is” what?
(b) “The heart of things.”
(d) “Strong wind.”
8. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
9. What Japanese province is Sensei from?
10. When does the narrator tell Sensei and his wife he will be back in Tokyo after he graduates in Part I: Sensei and I?
11. After the narrator makes an amused comment about a loving couple in the garden during flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I, what does Sensei ask him?
(a) “Do you enjoy flowers?”
(b) “Are you lonely?”
(c) “Do you have a girlfriend?”
(d) “Have you ever been in love?”
12. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
(a) Tokyo, Japan.
(b) Osaka, Japan.
(c) Kamakura, Japan.
(d) Fukushima, Japan.
13. What does Sensei’s wife send home with the narrator after he stays with her to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Fish cakes.
(b) Goji cakes.
(c) Coffee cakes.
(d) Tea cakes.
14. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 4 days.
15. Where was Natsume Soseki educated, according to the book’s Forward?
(a) Hokkaido University.
(b) Waseda University.
(c) Kumamoto University.
(d) Imperial University.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. What word used by Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, means a freeing from false belief?
3. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. How many tea houses does the narrator describe on the beach in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
5. The narrator says of Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “Before he could destroy his wife’s happiness, he” did what?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)