|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Sensei and the narrator walk toward after leaving the gardens during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. The narrator tells Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “I value your opinions because they are the results of your” what?
3. Where do Sensei and his wife take a holiday and send a letter with a maple leaf enclosed to the narrator from in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Where do the narrator and Sensei go during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 1 month.
6. What game does the narrator play with his father while he is recovering to appease his boredom in Part I: Sensei and I?
7. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
8. Sensei tells the narrator that there is no such thing as what in this world in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A father who loves his son.
(b) A stereotypical bad man.
(c) A woman who is honest.
(d) A hope for the end of the war.
9. The narrator states of Sensei’s wife in Part I: Sensei and I, “I was deeply impressed by her capacity for sympathy and” what?
10. When does the narrator tell Sensei and his wife he will be back in Tokyo after he graduates in Part I: Sensei and I?
11. What word used by Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, means a freeing from false belief?
12. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
13. Where is Sensei’s wife’s father from?
14. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
15. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) “Derive your strength from Buddha.”
(b) “All living things bear within themselves the essence of Buddha.”
(c) “Buddha be with you.”
(d) “Buddha is the light.”
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sensei’s wife send home with the narrator after he stays with her to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. How much money does Sensei give to the son of the tree orchard in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
4. How many tea houses does the narrator describe on the beach in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
5. When the narrator enters the cemetery to find Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, he describes a broad avenue bordered on each side by what?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)