|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Sensei repeatedly tells the narrator that there is what in loving in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. What relative of Sensei’s died of a similar ailment as the narrator’s father?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His father-in-law.
(d) His uncle.
4. What word from the narrative in Part I: Sensei and I, means requiring or characterized by excessive care or delicacy; painstaking?
5. By the end of what month is the narrator’s graduation thesis due in Part I: Sensei and I?
6. The author states in the Forward, “The best rendering of the Japanese word "kokoro" that I have seen is Lafcadio Hearn's, which is” what?
(a) “The heart of things.”
(c) “Strong wind.”
7. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
(a) Tokyo, Japan.
(b) Kamakura, Japan.
(c) Fukushima, Japan.
(d) Osaka, Japan.
8. What kind of illness has the narrator’s father suffered from for some time in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Kidney disease.
(b) Brain cancer.
(d) Heart disease.
9. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 6 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 1 week.
10. Where is Sensei’s wife’s mother from?
11. What is the name of Sensei’s wife?
12. What did Natsume Soseki study in college?
(c) English literature.
13. How often does Sensei go to the cemetery to visit his friend’s grave?
(a) Once a day.
(b) Once a year.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Once a week.
14. What does Sensei’s wife send home with the narrator after he stays with her to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Tea cakes.
(b) Goji cakes.
(c) Coffee cakes.
(d) Fish cakes.
15. The narrator describes Sensei’s attitude as what, prior to their meeting in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Overly gregarious.
(b) Sneakily condescending.
(c) Austere and arrogant.
(d) Somewhat unsociable.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month is the narrator due to graduate from university in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
3. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
4. After the narrator makes an amused comment about a loving couple in the garden during flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I, what does Sensei ask him?
5. Where do Sensei and his wife take a holiday and send a letter with a maple leaf enclosed to the narrator from in Part I: Sensei and I?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)