|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator tells Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “I value your opinions because they are the results of your” what?
2. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
(a) Fukushima, Japan.
(b) Kamakura, Japan.
(c) Osaka, Japan.
(d) Tokyo, Japan.
3. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) “Derive your strength from Buddha.”
(b) “Buddha is the light.”
(c) “Buddha be with you.”
(d) “All living things bear within themselves the essence of Buddha.”
4. What did Natsume Soseki study in college?
(c) English literature.
5. Where do Sensei and his wife take a holiday and send a letter with a maple leaf enclosed to the narrator from in Part I: Sensei and I?
6. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I see that higher education has made you adept at” what?
(a) “Making friends.”
(b) “Taking direction.”
(c) “Empty rationalization.”
(d) “Thinking for yourself.”
7. Sensei repeatedly tells the narrator that there is what in loving in Part I: Sensei and I?
8. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
9. In what month is the narrator due to graduate from university in Part I: Sensei and I?
10. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
11. Where is Sensei’s wife’s mother from?
12. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, “At first, I thought of Sensei’s wife as a woman of” what?
13. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
14. Why is the narrator’s vacationing student friend called home in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) His sister is having a baby.
(b) His mother is ill.
(c) His parents need help with home repairs.
(d) His brother is getting married.
15. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of illness has the narrator’s father suffered from for some time in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
3. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
5. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)