|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
2. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. When the narrator first sees Sensei at a teahouse by the beach, he says that two days previously he had gone where?
4. The narrator states of his feelings on women in Part I: Sensei and I, “Often, when I found myself face to face with a woman, my longing would suddenly disappear. Instead of being drawn to the woman, I would feel a kind of” what?
5. NatsumeSoseki wrote Kokoro how many years after the death of Emperor Meiji?
6. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
7. How often does Sensei go to the cemetery to visit his friend’s grave?
(a) Once a year.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Once a day.
(d) Once a week.
8. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 6 p.m.
(b) 8 p.m.
(c) 10 a.m.
(d) 10:00 p.m.
9. Why is the narrator’s vacationing student friend called home in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) His brother is getting married.
(b) His sister is having a baby.
(c) His mother is ill.
(d) His parents need help with home repairs.
10. When did Confucius live?
(a) 551-479 BCE.
(b) 324-277 BCE.
(c) 108-55 BCE.
(d) 1012-945 BCE.
11. Sensei tells the narrator that his Western friend is something of what in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A criminal.
(b) A hermit.
(c) A preacher.
(d) An eccentric.
12. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) “Derive your strength from Buddha.”
(b) “Buddha is the light.”
(c) “Buddha be with you.”
(d) “All living things bear within themselves the essence of Buddha.”
13. The narrator states of Sensei’s wife in Part I: Sensei and I, “I was deeply impressed by her capacity for sympathy and” what?
14. When does the narrator tell Sensei he will be returning to Tokyo while he is home for his father’s illness in Part I: Sensei and I?
15. The narrator states in Part I: Sensei and I, that although he profited greatly from his conversations with Sensei, he found him very unsatisfactory as what?
(a) A priest.
(b) A brother.
(c) A mentor.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, “At first, I thought of Sensei’s wife as a woman of” what?
2. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. The narrator goes to stay with Sensei’s wife due to a slew of burglaries while Sensei is gone where in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Where is the narrator during the summer holidays when he first meets Sensei?
5. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I see that higher education has made you adept at” what?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)