|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator goes to stay with Sensei’s wife due to a slew of burglaries while Sensei is gone where in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A graduation.
(b) A dinner party.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A funeral.
2. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. What game does the narrator play with his father while he is recovering to appease his boredom in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Sensei tells the narrator that there is no such thing as what in this world in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A father who loves his son.
(b) A woman who is honest.
(c) A hope for the end of the war.
(d) A stereotypical bad man.
5. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
6. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
7. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
8. What relative of Sensei’s died of a similar ailment as the narrator’s father?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His mother-in-law.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His father-in-law.
9. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
(a) “His children.”
(b) “His widow.”
(c) “His estate.”
(d) “His legacy.”
10. Where is the narrator during the summer holidays when he first meets Sensei?
11. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
12. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
13. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
(a) “Awfully morose.”
(b) “Cruelly vindictive.”
(c) “Excellently moved.”
(d) “Obstinately vengeful.”
14. What kind of illness has the narrator’s father suffered from for some time in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Heart disease.
(c) Kidney disease.
(d) Brain cancer.
15. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 10 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei tells the narrator that his Western friend is something of what in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. The narrator describes Sensei’s attitude as what, prior to their meeting in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Sensei repeatedly tells the narrator that there is what in loving in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. What word used by Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, means a freeing from false belief?
5. Who translated Kokoroand wrote the book’s Forward?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)