|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Sensei and the narrator walk toward after leaving the gardens during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. The narrator says after his discussion with Sensei at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I, “Among the things that Sensei said, what interested me most was his remark that no man was immune to” what?
3. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
4. What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
5. The narrator’s mother suggests that the narrator take Sensei what when he returns to Tokyo in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Goji berries.
(b) Lychee fruit.
(c) Dried mushrooms.
(d) Loaves of bread.
6. How many tea houses does the narrator describe on the beach in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
7. What game does the narrator play with his father while he is recovering to appease his boredom in Part I: Sensei and I?
8. When did Confucius live?
(a) 324-277 BCE.
(b) 551-479 BCE.
(c) 108-55 BCE.
(d) 1012-945 BCE.
9. The author states in the Forward, “The best rendering of the Japanese word "kokoro" that I have seen is Lafcadio Hearn's, which is” what?
(a) “The heart of things.”
(b) “Strong wind.”
10. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei left how long ago to go to the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 10 minutes.
(c) 45 mintues.
(d) 3 hours.
11. General Nogi and who were the best-known heroes of the Russo-Japanese War?
(a) General Jinsoku.
(b) Admiral Omitsu.
(c) Admiral Togo.
(d) General Shimokobe
12. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
13. What did Natsume Soseki study in college?
(b) English literature.
14. When the narrator first sees Sensei at a teahouse by the beach, he says that two days previously he had gone where?
15. Where do the narrator and Sensei go during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
2. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. When the narrator enters the cemetery to find Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, he describes a broad avenue bordered on each side by what?
4. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)