|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. NatsumeSoseki wrote Kokoro how many years after the death of Emperor Meiji?
4. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
5. The narrator tells Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “I value your opinions because they are the results of your” what?
6. How much money does Sensei give to the son of the tree orchard in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 5 sen.
(b) 20 sen.
(c) 50 sen.
(d) 10 sen.
7. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
8. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
9. Why is the narrator’s vacationing student friend called home in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) His parents need help with home repairs.
(b) His mother is ill.
(c) His brother is getting married.
(d) His sister is having a baby.
10. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
(a) Tokyo, Japan.
(b) Fukushima, Japan.
(c) Osaka, Japan.
(d) Kamakura, Japan.
11. How many tea houses does the narrator describe on the beach in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
12. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
13. Sensei tells the narrator that there is no such thing as what in this world in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A woman who is honest.
(b) A stereotypical bad man.
(c) A hope for the end of the war.
(d) A father who loves his son.
14. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your” what?
(a) “Biased point of view.”
(b) “Insults in the future.”
(c) “Humble opinion.”
(d) “Scorn along with it.”
15. What garment of the narrator’s does Sensei’s wife say is hand-woven and that she’s never worked on such beautiful material before in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) An Obi.
(b) A Kinchaku-bag.
(c) A kimono.
(d) A Nagajuban.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
2. What is the name of Sensei’s wife?
3. What word used by Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, means a freeing from false belief?
4. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
5. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)