|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Natsume Soseki sent to England as a government scholar?
2. The narrator describes Sensei’s attitude as what, prior to their meeting in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Austere and arrogant.
(b) Sneakily condescending.
(c) Somewhat unsociable.
(d) Overly gregarious.
3. Where was Natsume Soseki educated, according to the book’s Forward?
(a) Hokkaido University.
(b) Kumamoto University.
(c) Imperial University.
(d) Waseda University.
4. Where is the narrator during the summer holidays when he first meets Sensei?
5. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
(a) “His legacy.”
(b) “His children.”
(c) “His estate.”
(d) “His widow.”
6. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
7. Sensei asks the narrator while walking through the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I, “You have never thought seriously of the reality of” what?
(a) “Having children.”
8. What game does the narrator play with his father while he is recovering to appease his boredom in Part I: Sensei and I?
9. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
10. What does Sensei’s wife mention as a possible cause of the change in Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A disagreement with the neighbor.
(b) The death of a friend of his.
(c) The views of the new emperor.
(d) His new diet.
11. Where do Sensei and the narrator walk toward after leaving the gardens during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
12. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “The friendship that you sought in me is in reality a preparation for” what?
(a) “The love that you will seek in a woman.”
(b) “Having children of your own.”
(c) “The love that you lost from your family.”
(d) “Facing your true self.”
13. What kind of illness has the narrator’s father suffered from for some time in Part I: Sensei and I?
(b) Brain cancer.
(c) Kidney disease.
(d) Heart disease.
14. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, that he might have never noticed Sensei had he not been accompanied by what?
(a) A Southerner.
(b) A Northerner.
(c) A Westerner.
(d) An Easterner.
15. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
3. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei left how long ago to go to the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
5. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, “At first, I thought of Sensei’s wife as a woman of” what?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)