|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game does the narrator play with his father while he is recovering to appease his boredom in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Where is the narrator’s fellow vacationing student friend at the beach from in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) The Western Provinces.
(b) The Northern Provinces.
(c) The Eastern Provinces.
(d) The Central Provinces.
3. NatsumeSoseki wrote Kokoro how many years after the death of Emperor Meiji?
4. By the end of what month is the narrator’s graduation thesis due in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. What garment of the narrator’s does Sensei’s wife say is hand-woven and that she’s never worked on such beautiful material before in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A Kinchaku-bag.
(b) A kimono.
(c) A Nagajuban.
(d) An Obi.
6. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your” what?
(a) “Humble opinion.”
(b) “Biased point of view.”
(c) “Insults in the future.”
(d) “Scorn along with it.”
7. The narrator says of Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “Before he could destroy his wife’s happiness, he” did what?
(a) “Married another.”
(b) “Entered the priesthood.”
(c) “Destroyed himself.”
(d) “Moved away.”
8. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 6 p.m.
(b) 8 p.m.
(c) 10:00 p.m.
(d) 10 a.m.
9. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) “Derive your strength from Buddha.”
(b) “Buddha is the light.”
(c) “All living things bear within themselves the essence of Buddha.”
(d) “Buddha be with you.”
10. The narrator goes to stay with Sensei’s wife due to a slew of burglaries while Sensei is gone where in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A dinner party.
(b) A funeral.
(c) A graduation.
(d) A wedding.
11. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
12. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
13. How does the narrator travel to the cemetery to meet with Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) By carraige.
(b) By train.
(c) By rickshaw.
(d) By foot.
14. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
15. How much money does Sensei give to the son of the tree orchard in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 5 sen.
(b) 50 sen.
(c) 20 sen.
(d) 10 sen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
3. Where do the narrator and Sensei go during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. The narrator says after his discussion with Sensei at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I, “Among the things that Sensei said, what interested me most was his remark that no man was immune to” what?
5. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)