|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What garment of the narrator’s does Sensei’s wife say is hand-woven and that she’s never worked on such beautiful material before in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A kimono.
(b) A Nagajuban.
(c) An Obi.
(d) A Kinchaku-bag.
2. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
(a) Osaka, Japan.
(b) Kamakura, Japan.
(c) Tokyo, Japan.
(d) Fukushima, Japan.
3. Where is the narrator’s fellow vacationing student friend at the beach from in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) The Western Provinces.
(b) The Central Provinces.
(c) The Northern Provinces.
(d) The Eastern Provinces.
4. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
5. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
6. Sensei repeatedly tells the narrator that there is what in loving in Part I: Sensei and I?
7. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 8 p.m.
(b) 10 a.m.
(c) 10:00 p.m.
(d) 6 p.m.
8. What is the name of Sensei’s wife?
9. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
(a) “Obstinately vengeful.”
(b) “Excellently moved.”
(c) “Cruelly vindictive.”
(d) “Awfully morose.”
10. Where is the narrator during the summer holidays when he first meets Sensei?
11. How often does Sensei go to the cemetery to visit his friend’s grave?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Once a week.
(c) Once a day.
(d) Once a year.
12. After the narrator makes an amused comment about a loving couple in the garden during flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I, what does Sensei ask him?
(a) “Do you enjoy flowers?”
(b) “Have you ever been in love?”
(c) “Do you have a girlfriend?”
(d) “Are you lonely?”
13. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A cedar tree.
(b) A gingko tree.
(c) A maple tree.
(d) A pine tree.
14. Where was Natsume Soseki educated, according to the book’s Forward?
(a) Imperial University.
(b) Hokkaido University.
(c) Kumamoto University.
(d) Waseda University.
15. What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei left how long ago to go to the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. What game does the narrator play with his father while he is recovering to appease his boredom in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Where is Sensei’s wife’s father from?
5. Sensei tells the narrator that there is no such thing as what in this world in Part I: Sensei and I?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)