|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I see that higher education has made you adept at” what?
(a) “Taking direction.”
(b) “Making friends.”
(c) “Thinking for yourself.”
(d) “Empty rationalization.”
2. The author states in the Forward, “The best rendering of the Japanese word "kokoro" that I have seen is Lafcadio Hearn's, which is” what?
(b) “The heart of things.”
(d) “Strong wind.”
3. Where is the narrator during the summer holidays when he first meets Sensei?
4. What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
5. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
(a) “Awfully morose.”
(b) “Excellently moved.”
(c) “Cruelly vindictive.”
(d) “Obstinately vengeful.”
6. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
7. The narrator describes Sensei’s attitude as what, prior to their meeting in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Overly gregarious.
(b) Somewhat unsociable.
(c) Sneakily condescending.
(d) Austere and arrogant.
8. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your” what?
(a) “Insults in the future.”
(b) “Biased point of view.”
(c) “Scorn along with it.”
(d) “Humble opinion.”
9. When the narrator first sees Sensei at a teahouse by the beach, he says that two days previously he had gone where?
10. Where is Sensei’s wife’s mother from?
11. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
12. What word used by Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, means a freeing from false belief?
13. The narrator states of Sensei’s wife in Part I: Sensei and I, “I was deeply impressed by her capacity for sympathy and” what?
14. General Nogi and who were the best-known heroes of the Russo-Japanese War?
(a) Admiral Togo.
(b) General Jinsoku.
(c) Admiral Omitsu.
(d) General Shimokobe
15. What does Sensei’s wife send home with the narrator after he stays with her to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Tea cakes.
(b) Coffee cakes.
(c) Fish cakes.
(d) Goji cakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator enters the cemetery to find Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, he describes a broad avenue bordered on each side by what?
2. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
4. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, “At first, I thought of Sensei’s wife as a woman of” what?
5. Where does the narrator’s elder brother work?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)