|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many siblings does the narrator tell Sensei he has in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Sensei tells the narrator that his Western friend is something of what in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A criminal.
(b) A hermit.
(c) An eccentric.
(d) A preacher.
4. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) “All living things bear within themselves the essence of Buddha.”
(b) “Buddha is the light.”
(c) “Buddha be with you.”
(d) “Derive your strength from Buddha.”
5. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 8 p.m.
(b) 10 a.m.
(c) 6 p.m.
(d) 10:00 p.m.
6. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
7. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A gingko tree.
(b) A maple tree.
(c) A cedar tree.
(d) A pine tree.
8. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
9. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
10. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
11. When does the narrator tell Sensei he will be returning to Tokyo while he is home for his father’s illness in Part I: Sensei and I?
12. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
13. What word used by Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, means a freeing from false belief?
14. The narrator states of Sensei’s wife in Part I: Sensei and I, “I was deeply impressed by her capacity for sympathy and” what?
15. Where is Sensei’s wife’s mother from?
Short Answer Questions
1. NatsumeSoseki wrote Kokoro how many years after the death of Emperor Meiji?
2. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
3. After the narrator makes an amused comment about a loving couple in the garden during flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I, what does Sensei ask him?
4. What word from the narrative in Part I: Sensei and I, means requiring or characterized by excessive care or delicacy; painstaking?
5. What Japanese province is Sensei from?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)