|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the narrator’s vacationing student friend called home in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) His parents need help with home repairs.
(b) His mother is ill.
(c) His sister is having a baby.
(d) His brother is getting married.
2. What Japanese province is Sensei from?
3. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
4. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, that he might have never noticed Sensei had he not been accompanied by what?
(a) A Southerner.
(b) An Easterner.
(c) A Westerner.
(d) A Northerner.
5. What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
6. After the narrator makes an amused comment about a loving couple in the garden during flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I, what does Sensei ask him?
(a) “Do you enjoy flowers?”
(b) “Are you lonely?”
(c) “Have you ever been in love?”
(d) “Do you have a girlfriend?”
7. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
8. The narrator states in Part I: Sensei and I, that although he profited greatly from his conversations with Sensei, he found him very unsatisfactory as what?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A brother.
(c) A priest.
(d) A mentor.
9. Where does the narrator’s elder brother work?
10. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
11. How many tea houses does the narrator describe on the beach in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
12. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
13. The author states in the Forward, “The best rendering of the Japanese word "kokoro" that I have seen is Lafcadio Hearn's, which is” what?
(a) “The heart of things.”
(d) “Strong wind.”
14. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 6 weeks.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 1 month.
15. The narrator’s vacationing student friend is called home after they have been at the beach town for how long in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 10 days.
(b) 1 day.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 6 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
2. Sensei repeatedly tells the narrator that there is what in loving in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
5. How often does Sensei go to the cemetery to visit his friend’s grave?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)