|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, “At first, I thought of Sensei’s wife as a woman of” what?
2. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. How does the narrator travel to the cemetery to meet with Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) By foot.
(b) By carraige.
(c) By train.
(d) By rickshaw.
4. How much money does Sensei give to the son of the tree orchard in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 10 sen.
(b) 20 sen.
(c) 5 sen.
(d) 50 sen.
5. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 6 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 1 week.
6. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
7. Where is the narrator during the summer holidays when he first meets Sensei?
8. When did Confucius live?
(a) 1012-945 BCE.
(b) 324-277 BCE.
(c) 551-479 BCE.
(d) 108-55 BCE.
9. What game does the narrator play with his father while he is recovering to appease his boredom in Part I: Sensei and I?
10. What does Sensei’s wife send home with the narrator after he stays with her to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Coffee cakes.
(b) Tea cakes.
(c) Goji cakes.
(d) Fish cakes.
11. Where do the narrator and Sensei go during the flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I?
12. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
13. What Japanese province is Sensei from?
14. Where is Sensei’s wife’s father from?
15. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I see that higher education has made you adept at” what?
2. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
3. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
4. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
5. Sensei asks the narrator while walking through the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I, “You have never thought seriously of the reality of” what?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)