|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator’s elder brother work?
2. Who translated Kokoroand wrote the book’s Forward?
(a) Reginald Lee.
(b) Albert Johnson.
(c) Edwin McClellan.
(d) Jacob Winslow.
3. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 2 weeks.
4. When did Confucius live?
(a) 324-277 BCE.
(b) 108-55 BCE.
(c) 1012-945 BCE.
(d) 551-479 BCE.
5. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
6. When the narrator compares his father with Sensei, he concludes that both are what type of men in Part I: Sensei and I?
7. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
8. When was Natsume Soseki sent to England as a government scholar?
9. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
10. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
11. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A cedar tree.
(b) A pine tree.
(c) A gingko tree.
(d) A maple tree.
12. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
13. What Japanese province is Sensei from?
14. Sensei tells the narrator that his Western friend is something of what in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A preacher.
(b) A criminal.
(c) A hermit.
(d) An eccentric.
15. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 4 days.
(c) 10 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
2. What did Natsume Soseki study in college?
3. The narrator states of his feelings on women in Part I: Sensei and I, “Often, when I found myself face to face with a woman, my longing would suddenly disappear. Instead of being drawn to the woman, I would feel a kind of” what?
4. The narrator tells Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “I value your opinions because they are the results of your” what?
5. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)