|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
2. When does the narrator tell Sensei he will be returning to Tokyo while he is home for his father’s illness in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A cedar tree.
(b) A gingko tree.
(c) A maple tree.
(d) A pine tree.
4. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, “At first, I thought of Sensei’s wife as a woman of” what?
5. Where is Sensei’s wife’s mother from?
6. Where is the narrator’s fellow vacationing student friend at the beach from in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) The Northern Provinces.
(b) The Central Provinces.
(c) The Western Provinces.
(d) The Eastern Provinces.
7. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “The friendship that you sought in me is in reality a preparation for” what?
(a) “The love that you will seek in a woman.”
(b) “The love that you lost from your family.”
(c) “Facing your true self.”
(d) “Having children of your own.”
8. Sensei asks the narrator while walking through the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I, “You have never thought seriously of the reality of” what?
(b) “Having children.”
9. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
10. What game does the narrator play with his father while he is recovering to appease his boredom in Part I: Sensei and I?
11. How many tea houses does the narrator describe on the beach in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
12. Who translated Kokoroand wrote the book’s Forward?
(a) Jacob Winslow.
(b) Edwin McClellan.
(c) Reginald Lee.
(d) Albert Johnson.
13. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
14. When the narrator enters the cemetery to find Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, he describes a broad avenue bordered on each side by what?
(a) Palm trees.
(b) Cedar trees.
(c) Pine trees.
(d) Maple trees.
15. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, that his inn was in a rather out-of-the-way district of the beach town and if one wanted to play billiards or eat ice cream, a rickshaw would cost how much?
2. Where is Sensei’s wife’s father from?
3. At what time does Sensei return home while the narrator stays with his wife to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
5. The narrator goes to stay with Sensei’s wife due to a slew of burglaries while Sensei is gone where in Part I: Sensei and I?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)