|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Sensei’s wife’s mother from?
2. The narrator’s mother suggests that the narrator take Sensei what when he returns to Tokyo in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Dried mushrooms.
(b) Goji berries.
(c) Loaves of bread.
(d) Lychee fruit.
3. By the end of what month is the narrator’s graduation thesis due in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. When does the narrator tell Sensei he will be returning to Tokyo while he is home for his father’s illness in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. Where do Sensei and his wife take a holiday and send a letter with a maple leaf enclosed to the narrator from in Part I: Sensei and I?
6. The author states in the Forward, “The best rendering of the Japanese word "kokoro" that I have seen is Lafcadio Hearn's, which is” what?
(b) “Strong wind.”
(c) “The heart of things.”
7. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
8. The narrator says after his discussion with Sensei at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I, “Among the things that Sensei said, what interested me most was his remark that no man was immune to” what?
9. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, that his inn was in a rather out-of-the-way district of the beach town and if one wanted to play billiards or eat ice cream, a rickshaw would cost how much?
(a) 20 sen.
(b) 40 sen.
(c) 35 sen.
(d) 35 sen.
10. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
11. Where is the narrator during the summer holidays when he first meets Sensei?
12. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
(a) “Excellently moved.”
(b) “Obstinately vengeful.”
(c) “Cruelly vindictive.”
(d) “Awfully morose.”
13. The narrator states of his feelings on women in Part I: Sensei and I, “Often, when I found myself face to face with a woman, my longing would suddenly disappear. Instead of being drawn to the woman, I would feel a kind of” what?
14. The narrator states of Sensei’s wife in Part I: Sensei and I, “I was deeply impressed by her capacity for sympathy and” what?
15. What is the name of Sensei’s wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sensei’s wife’s father from?
2. What word from the narrative in Part I: Sensei and I, means requiring or characterized by excessive care or delicacy; painstaking?
3. Where was Natsume Soseki educated, according to the book’s Forward?
4. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “The friendship that you sought in me is in reality a preparation for” what?
5. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)