|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Sensei’s wife?
2. How many siblings does the narrator tell Sensei he has in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. The narrator tells Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “I value your opinions because they are the results of your” what?
4. How many tea houses does the narrator describe on the beach in the beginning of Part I: Sensei and I?
5. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your” what?
(a) “Humble opinion.”
(b) “Scorn along with it.”
(c) “Insults in the future.”
(d) “Biased point of view.”
6. Where does the narrator’s elder brother work?
7. The narrator says of Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “Before he could destroy his wife’s happiness, he” did what?
(a) “Married another.”
(b) “Moved away.”
(c) “Destroyed himself.”
(d) “Entered the priesthood.”
8. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
9. The narrator describes Sensei’s attitude as what, prior to their meeting in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Overly gregarious.
(b) Sneakily condescending.
(c) Somewhat unsociable.
(d) Austere and arrogant.
10. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
11. What does “Sensei” mean in general Japanese usage?
12. What did Natsume Soseki study in college?
(c) English literature.
13. Where is Sensei’s wife’s father from?
14. When did Confucius live?
(a) 1012-945 BCE.
(b) 108-55 BCE.
(c) 551-479 BCE.
(d) 324-277 BCE.
15. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, that his inn was in a rather out-of-the-way district of the beach town and if one wanted to play billiards or eat ice cream, a rickshaw would cost how much?
2. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei left how long ago to go to the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
4. When the narrator enters the cemetery to find Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, he describes a broad avenue bordered on each side by what?
5. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)