|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator travel to the cemetery to meet with Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) By foot.
(b) By carraige.
(c) By rickshaw.
(d) By train.
2. What does Sensei call the azalea tree that is taller than the others and reddish-brown in color at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Where is the narrator’s fellow vacationing student friend at the beach from in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) The Northern Provinces.
(b) The Central Provinces.
(c) The Western Provinces.
(d) The Eastern Provinces.
4. Sensei tells the narrator that his Western friend is something of what in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A hermit.
(b) A preacher.
(c) An eccentric.
(d) A criminal.
5. Sensei asks the narrator while walking through the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I, “You have never thought seriously of the reality of” what?
(b) “Having children.”
6. What relative of Sensei’s died of a similar ailment as the narrator’s father?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) His father-in-law.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His aunt.
7. In what month is the narrator due to graduate from university in Part I: Sensei and I?
8. Where is Sensei’s wife’s mother from?
9. Where do Sensei and his wife take a holiday and send a letter with a maple leaf enclosed to the narrator from in Part I: Sensei and I?
10. What was Tokyo once known as?
11. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A pine tree.
(b) A cedar tree.
(c) A maple tree.
(d) A gingko tree.
12. In what year did Natsume Soseki join the staff of the Fifth National College in Kumamoto?
13. What kind of illness has the narrator’s father suffered from for some time in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Kidney disease.
(b) Brain cancer.
(c) Heart disease.
14. General Nogi and who were the best-known heroes of the Russo-Japanese War?
(a) Admiral Omitsu.
(b) Admiral Togo.
(c) General Shimokobe
(d) General Jinsoku.
15. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “[I]f you ever allow yourself to feel betrayed, you will then find yourself being” what?
2. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
3. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei left how long ago to go to the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. What Japanese province is Sensei from?
5. The narrator tells Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “I value your opinions because they are the results of your” what?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)