|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, that “when a man dies suddenly” what “causes more trouble than anything else”?
(a) “His widow.”
(b) “His estate.”
(c) “His children.”
(d) “His legacy.”
4. What kind of nature does Sensei tell the narrator he has after they leave the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. When did Confucius live?
(a) 324-277 BCE.
(b) 108-55 BCE.
(c) 1012-945 BCE.
(d) 551-479 BCE.
6. What is the name of Sensei’s wife?
7. Sensei tells the narrator that there is no such thing as what in this world in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) A stereotypical bad man.
(b) A woman who is honest.
(c) A father who loves his son.
(d) A hope for the end of the war.
8. When the narrator first goes to see Sensei in Tokyo, it is how long since lectures have started at the university in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 6 weeks.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 1 week.
9. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, that his inn was in a rather out-of-the-way district of the beach town and if one wanted to play billiards or eat ice cream, a rickshaw would cost how much?
(a) 20 sen.
(b) 35 sen.
(c) 35 sen.
(d) 40 sen.
10. General Nogi and who were the best-known heroes of the Russo-Japanese War?
(a) General Jinsoku.
(b) Admiral Togo.
(c) General Shimokobe
(d) Admiral Omitsu.
11. How does the narrator travel to the cemetery to meet with Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) By rickshaw.
(b) By train.
(c) By carraige.
(d) By foot.
12. What kind of illness has the narrator’s father suffered from for some time in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Kidney disease.
(b) Brain cancer.
(c) Heart disease.
13. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “Give a gentleman money, and he will soon turn into a” what?
14. After the narrator makes an amused comment about a loving couple in the garden during flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I, what does Sensei ask him?
(a) “Do you have a girlfriend?”
(b) “Have you ever been in love?”
(c) “Are you lonely?”
(d) “Do you enjoy flowers?”
15. The narrator’s vacationing student friend is called home after they have been at the beach town for how long in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) 6 days.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 1 day.
(d) 10 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states in the Forward, “The best rendering of the Japanese word "kokoro" that I have seen is Lafcadio Hearn's, which is” what?
2. What does Sensei’s wife send home with the narrator after he stays with her to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. The narrator says that he learned to be an accomplished whistle-blower from a friend where in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. Where was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)