|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Sensei and I (pages 21-42).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Sensei asks the narrator while walking through the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I, “You have never thought seriously of the reality of” what?
(c) “Having children.”
3. The author states in the Forward, “The best rendering of the Japanese word "kokoro" that I have seen is Lafcadio Hearn's, which is” what?
(b) “Strong wind.”
(c) “The heart of things.”
4. What does Sensei’s wife mention as a possible cause of the change in Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) The views of the new emperor.
(b) The death of a friend of his.
(c) His new diet.
(d) A disagreement with the neighbor.
5. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your” what?
2. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei left how long ago to go to the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. After the narrator makes an amused comment about a loving couple in the garden during flower-viewing season in Part I: Sensei and I, what does Sensei ask him?
5. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)