|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Sensei and I (pages 21-42).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Japanese province is Sensei from?
2. When was Natsume Soseki born, according to the book’s Forward?
3. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I, “I see that higher education has made you adept at” what?
(a) “Making friends.”
(b) “Empty rationalization.”
(c) “Taking direction.”
(d) “Thinking for yourself.”
4. What is the name of Sensei’s wife?
5. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tokyo once known as?
2. The author states in the Forward, “The best rendering of the Japanese word "kokoro" that I have seen is Lafcadio Hearn's, which is” what?
3. How does the narrator travel to the cemetery to meet with Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. The narrator’s vacationing student friend is called home after they have been at the beach town for how long in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. What does Sensei’s wife send home with the narrator after he stays with her to watch for burglars in Part I: Sensei and I?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)