|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Sensei and I (through page 21).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sensei asks the narrator while walking through the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I, “You have never thought seriously of the reality of” what?
(c) “Having children.”
2. The narrator describes Sensei’s attitude as what, prior to their meeting in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) Overly gregarious.
(b) Somewhat unsociable.
(c) Austere and arrogant.
(d) Sneakily condescending.
3. What does Sensei say “is the loneliest time of all” in Part I: Sensei and I?
4. What Buddhist inscription does the narrator describe on one of the tombstones in the cemetery in Part I: Sensei and I?
(a) “Buddha be with you.”
(b) “Buddha is the light.”
(c) “All living things bear within themselves the essence of Buddha.”
(d) “Derive your strength from Buddha.”
5. When the narrator returns to Tokyo after meeting Sensei at the beach in Part I: Sensei and I, he has how long before the beginning of lectures at the college?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 4 days.
(c) 10 days.
(d) 1 week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sensei’s wife tells the narrator that Sensei is at a cemetery where in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Who translated Kokoroand wrote the book’s Forward?
3. The narrator says in Part I: Sensei and I, that his inn was in a rather out-of-the-way district of the beach town and if one wanted to play billiards or eat ice cream, a rickshaw would cost how much?
4. When was Natsume Soseki sent to England as a government scholar?
5. How does the narrator describe Sensei’s wife when he first sees her in Part I: Sensei and I?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)