|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Sensei’s Testament (pages 164-207).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the widow and Sensei’s landlord in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. Why does the narrator’s sister not return home while their father is ill in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) She doesn't like the countryside.
(b) She doesn't get along with her mother.
(c) She fears having a miscarriage.
(d) She doesn't get along with her father.
3. When did Emperor Meiji die historically?
4. The narrator states in Part I, “Sensei and I,”He refers to Sensei by that name not because he is trying to be discreet, but because it is more what to him?
5. The author states in the Forward, “The best rendering of the Japanese word "kokoro" that I have seen is Lafcadio Hearn's, which is” what?
(a) “Strong wind.”
(c) “The heart of things.”
Short Answer Questions
1. What garment of the narrator’s does Sensei’s wife say is hand-woven and that she’s never worked on such beautiful material before in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Sensei tells the narrator in his letter in Part III, Sensei’s Testament, that he wants to reveal his past to the narrator because he is what?
3. Where did Sensei attend college?
4. What term refers to the military nobility of pre-industrial Japan?
5. What is the name of the narrator’s brother-in-law?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)