|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Sensei’s Testament (pages 164-207).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Part I: Sensei and I, mean the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement?
2. How many days before the narrator leaves for Tokyo does his father have a fainting spell in Part II, My Parents and I?
3. The narrator says after his discussion with Sensei at the tree nursery in Part I: Sensei and I, “Among the things that Sensei said, what interested me most was his remark that no man was immune to” what?
4. What term refers to the military nobility of pre-industrial Japan?
5. The narrator states of his feelings on women in Part I: Sensei and I, “Often, when I found myself face to face with a woman, my longing would suddenly disappear. Instead of being drawn to the woman, I would feel a kind of” what?
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom has Okusan gone out when Sensei returns home to find Ojosan and K sitting alone in his room together the first time in Part III, Sensei’s Testament?
2. The narrator tells Sensei in Part I: Sensei and I, “I value your opinions because they are the results of your” what?
3. In what year did NatsumeSoseki succeed Lafcadio Hearn as lecturer in English literature at the Imperial University?
4. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
5. What word from the novel refers to a Japanese stringed instrument consisting of a rectangular wooden body over which are stretched silk strings?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)