|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II, My Parents and I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Natsume Soseki study in college?
(c) English literature.
2. What is the name of the narrator’s brother-in-law?
3. What does the narrator buy to put on the flag pole after Emperor Meiji’s death in Part II, My Parents and I?
(a) A tulip wreath.
(b) A fish head.
(c) Origami cranes.
(d) Black crepe.
4. What term refers to the military nobility of pre-industrial Japan?
5. During what years did the Meiji era last, according to the author in the Forward?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of tree in the cemetery does Sensei make a point of walking past every time he visits his friend’s grave, according to the narrator in Part I: Sensei and I?
2. Where do Sensei and his wife take a holiday and send a letter with a maple leaf enclosed to the narrator from in Part I: Sensei and I?
3. When did Emperor Meiji die historically?
4. The narrator describes Sensei’s attitude as what, prior to their meeting in Part I: Sensei and I?
5. In what month is the narrator due to graduate from university in Part I: Sensei and I?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)