|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jamie go to search for Amara's mother?
2. Why was Pare Aldonza relieved of her duties at the convent?
3. Why do the nuns decide to investigate Amara?
4. What does Palinor wonder about as he waits for the morning?
5. Why does the inquisitor know he has Palinor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Severo say the experiment with Amara is void?
2. Why are the nuns upset and what does Pare Aldonza say and then suggest?
3. Describe Severo's night the night before Palinor is burned.
4. Why is Severo looking on a map of the world?
5. What does Sor Agnete realize about the crucifix in the chapel?
6. What does Severo hope about Fra Murta?
7. What does Eseranca say about Palinor?
8. What does Fra Murta tell Severo about Aclar?
9. Summarize the discussion between Severo and Fra Murta about conscience and Palinor.
10. What happens when Palinor is tortured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Taddeo and Margalida break no laws, their heartless treatment of Josefa brings up questions of what is the true nature of Christian love, especially between a parent and a child.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the statement above.
2. Do you think just because someone claims to be religious it automatically makes them a good person? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Taddeo and Margalida's treatment of Josefa is abusive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Palinor tells his entire story to the court, telling them that he rose to power through his achievements and respect of his fellow countrymen, attributes that are necessary to gain authority in the theocracy of Grandinsula.
1. From the above sentence and reading in the book what do you think a theocracy is and why would that form of government be a threat to the governing body on the island?
2. Discuss what do you think of a country where a man can become king through achievements and respect?
3. Do you think, given Palinor's background there is anyway for him to find common ground with those on the island? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Severo's dream brings to light the role the Cardinal has played in Palinor's downfall. Severo easily could have let Palinor go, as the man clearly washed up on Grandinsula by accident, but Severo chose to detain Palinor, because he was interested in talking further with the atheist. What has happened to Palinor on Grandinsula is not a result of God's providence or God's hand, but of Severo's selfish desires.
1. Do you think it is Severo's fault that Palinor is being held? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor should lie to save his life? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were in Severo's position? How about Palinor's?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)