|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Severo insist that Palinor has not sinned?
2. What does Beneditx feel when he tries to pray?
3. Why is Severo allowed into Palinor's cell?
4. What does Amara ask Josefa that shows she's thinking about more than what's in front of her?
5. What does Fra Murta ask Palinor three days after he is confined?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Severo's night the night before Palinor is burned.
2. What does Jamie find out about Amara's birth mother?
3. What does Fra Murta tell Severo about Aclar?
4. What does Severo say to Fra Murta to explain his behavior concerning Palinor? How does the Fra feel about it?
5. What do the servants at Saracen's house demand of Fra Murta?
6. Why are the nuns upset and what does Pare Aldonza say and then suggest?
7. How does Fra Murta finally get Palinor?
8. What does Beneditx say to Palinor about his new knowledge of nonbelievers? What does Palinor say to him?
9. Why does Severo say the experiment with Amara is void?
10. What happened when Severo and Fra Murta question Amara for the second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fiery scene that Palinor encounters, as he enters Ciudad, represents Palinor's fear of dying by fire, and his fate in hell that religious leaders believe awaits unrepentant heretics. Fire is the one connection that Palinor shares with his religious adversaries and the only thing Palinor seems to be afraid of.
1. Discuss the symbolism surrounding the scene when Palinor rides into Ciudad.
2. Discuss in detail what kind of man do you think Fra Murta is that he would have the people out on the streets with torches for Palinor to see.
3. Why is Palinor's fear of dying by fire reasonable?
Essay Topic 2
Amara's upbringing by wolves, however, seems to have altered her in ways that cannot be changed, such as her dislike for human touch and contact, things that humans have long assumed are necessary for healthy living. Like an animal, Amara only seems to live in the present and seems unaware of how the past and future affect her.
1. Do you think that animals live only in the present? Why or why not?
2. Do you think if a human child really was raised by the wolves that child would ever be able to learn all of the intricacies of being human? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would be the effect on human society if humans lived mostly for the present without looking back to the past or ahead to the future?
Essay Topic 3
Beneditx struggles through the night with anger. He remembers his mother, who was single and provided for her son by mending linen and making clothes. The only thing that made her angry was, when her sewing tools were blunt or her thread would break. Benedict feels like his arguments with Palinor have been like those blunt tools, and he is angry that he did not recognize the errors that Palinor has pointed out. Beneditx knows his sin is pride in his own intelligence, and he has never before experienced the pain of defeat.
1. Do you think Beneditx is angry at himself or at Palinor? Why or why not?
2. No one likes to think they are very good at a particular skill and then find that someone else is better. What do you think Beneditx should do with the way he is feeling?
3. Do you think it is wrong for Beneditx to have pride in his intelligence? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)