|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Severo tell Fra Murta is the reason he didn't follow procedure with Palinor?
2. What does Severo ask Rafal to do?
3. What does Beneditx tell Palinor when he says it's impossible to know if God exists?
4. What do the people in Ciudad do when Palinor arrives?
5. Who did the Christian encounter in Severo's dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fra Murta ask Amara and how does she respond?
2. What do the servants at Saracen's house demand of Fra Murta?
3. Why is Severo looking on a map of the world?
4. How does Fra Murta finally get Palinor?
5. What does Amara do after Jamie leaves her?
6. What do the nuns believe about Amara and what do they do about it?
7. Why doesn't the abbess care about Amara?
8. What does Sor Agnete realize about the crucifix in the chapel?
9. Describe Severo's dream and what he sees is the moral in it.
10. Why does Severo turn Palinor over to Fra Murta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of whether coincidences or luck have a place in a world supposedly ruled by God comes into play in Chapter 1.
1. What do you think the statement above means? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There are some belief systems which state there are no coincidences. Discuss what you think about this belief.
3. Do you think the theme of whether coincidences or luck have a place in a world is adequately supported in the first chapter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is a glimmer of hope for the nuns as Amara takes to the litter box. Her savage nature, however, is once more revealed as she immediately is accepted into a pack of hunters' hounds.
1. Do you think it is possible for a child to be raised in the wilds and survive? Why or why not?
2. Do you think, given Amara's age, she will ever be able to act completely human? Why or why not?
3. How do you think the situation with Amara could be used to test the nature versus nurture controversy?
Essay Topic 3
Beneditx struggles through the night with anger. He remembers his mother, who was single and provided for her son by mending linen and making clothes. The only thing that made her angry was, when her sewing tools were blunt or her thread would break. Benedict feels like his arguments with Palinor have been like those blunt tools, and he is angry that he did not recognize the errors that Palinor has pointed out. Beneditx knows his sin is pride in his own intelligence, and he has never before experienced the pain of defeat.
1. Do you think Beneditx is angry at himself or at Palinor? Why or why not?
2. No one likes to think they are very good at a particular skill and then find that someone else is better. What do you think Beneditx should do with the way he is feeling?
3. Do you think it is wrong for Beneditx to have pride in his intelligence? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)