|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Severo tell Fra Murta is the reason he didn't follow procedure with Palinor?
2. What do the servants where Palinor is staying demand of Fra Murta?
3. What does Fra Murta believe about Palinor's descriptions of Aclar?
4. What does Palinor say his country will do if they harm him?
5. Where is Palinor confined by Fra Murta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Beneditx?
2. Describe Severo's dream and what he sees is the moral in it.
3. What happens when Palinor is tortured?
4. What do the nuns believe about Amara and what do they do about it?
5. What does Jamie find out about Amara's birth mother?
6. What does Jamie find out when he asks around about abandoned babies?
7. How does Fra Murta finally get Palinor?
8. What does Severo say to Fra Murta to explain his behavior concerning Palinor? How does the Fra feel about it?
9. What does Eseranca say about Palinor?
10. What happened when Severo and Fra Murta question Amara for the second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Taddeo and Margalida break no laws, their heartless treatment of Josefa brings up questions of what is the true nature of Christian love, especially between a parent and a child.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the statement above.
2. Do you think just because someone claims to be religious it automatically makes them a good person? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Taddeo and Margalida's treatment of Josefa is abusive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Beneditx struggles through the night with anger. He remembers his mother, who was single and provided for her son by mending linen and making clothes. The only thing that made her angry was, when her sewing tools were blunt or her thread would break. Benedict feels like his arguments with Palinor have been like those blunt tools, and he is angry that he did not recognize the errors that Palinor has pointed out. Beneditx knows his sin is pride in his own intelligence, and he has never before experienced the pain of defeat.
1. Do you think Beneditx is angry at himself or at Palinor? Why or why not?
2. No one likes to think they are very good at a particular skill and then find that someone else is better. What do you think Beneditx should do with the way he is feeling?
3. Do you think it is wrong for Beneditx to have pride in his intelligence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While Amara has survived, her savage upbringing and subsequent gang rape have subjected her to horrible atrocities. God is clearly not present in, or protecting, her life.
1. What type of agenda do you think the author has by showing a girl like Amara who has suffered so much?
2. Do you think a child in real life could experience what Amara has and be as well as she has become? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think the shepherds who gang raped Amara were not arrested for the crime?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)