|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palinor wonder about as he waits for the morning?
2. Why does the inquisitor know he has Palinor?
3. What does Palinor say his country will do if they harm him?
4. Where does Jamie stay when he comes to take Amara?
5. What does Fra Murta think of Palinor's descriptions of Aclar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fra Murta finally get Palinor?
2. What does Amara do after Jamie leaves her?
3. What does Rafal tell Severo and what does Severo do?
4. What does Sor Agnete realize about the crucifix in the chapel?
5. How does Severo feel about Fra Murta and why?
6. What do the nuns believe about Amara and what do they do about it?
7. What does Palinor think about as far as writings of St. Augustine?
8. What happened when Severo and Fra Murta question Amara for the second time?
9. What does Severo say to Fra Murta to explain his behavior concerning Palinor? How does the Fra feel about it?
10. What does Jamie find out when he asks around about abandoned babies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Amara has survived, her savage upbringing and subsequent gang rape have subjected her to horrible atrocities. God is clearly not present in, or protecting, her life.
1. What type of agenda do you think the author has by showing a girl like Amara who has suffered so much?
2. Do you think a child in real life could experience what Amara has and be as well as she has become? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think the shepherds who gang raped Amara were not arrested for the crime?
Essay Topic 2
The abbess, like Beneditx, has lived a life cut off from the real world and doesn't encounter sins such as murder and bestiality. The murder was so uneventful to Amara, who grew up in world where killing was often frequent and necessary to eat, that she doesn't even remember why she murdered her sister.
1. Do you think someone like the abbess so cut off from reality is a good person to deal with Amara? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think the murder of her sister doesn't bother Amara?
3. Do you think Amara should be found guilty of murder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Fra Murta believes a country without religion sounds horrible, as religious leaders believe people's belief in God is the only thing that keeps them from sinning. Palinor counters by saying that people also will abide by laws, because they make sense, again providing an alternate explanation for something Grandinsula's leaders previously have attributed only to God.
1. Do you think people obey the law in America because the law makes sense? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor's statement about the law holds true for every person who lives in Aclar? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think the religious leaders have such little faith in men obeying the law?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)