|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Severo insist that Palinor has not sinned?
2. What do the nuns believe about Amara and Fra Murta?
3. Why does Severo examine the map?
4. What does Fra Murta think of Palinor's descriptions of Aclar?
5. Why is Esperanca confused about Palinor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Beneditx?
2. How does Fra Murta finally get Palinor?
3. Why is Josefa pleased with the way Amara is thinking?
4. What happens when Palinor is tortured?
5. Why does Severo say the experiment with Amara is void?
6. Why is Severo looking on a map of the world?
7. What does Severo say to Fra Murta to explain his behavior concerning Palinor? How does the Fra feel about it?
8. Describe Severo's dream and what he sees is the moral in it.
9. What does Jamie do when he comes for Amara and what does he do with her?
10. What does Jamie find out when he asks around about abandoned babies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a glimmer of hope for the nuns as Amara takes to the litter box. Her savage nature, however, is once more revealed as she immediately is accepted into a pack of hunters' hounds.
1. Do you think it is possible for a child to be raised in the wilds and survive? Why or why not?
2. Do you think, given Amara's age, she will ever be able to act completely human? Why or why not?
3. How do you think the situation with Amara could be used to test the nature versus nurture controversy?
Essay Topic 2
Palinor would consider anything a sin that advanced oneself at the expense of another. Sin should be left to church anyway, because churchmen have the expertise, Palinor says.
1. Discuss what behaviors might be considered sin by Palinor according to the above statement.
2. Do you agree with Palinor that sin should be left to the church? Why or why not?
3. Explain why, according to Palinor's definition of sin, his behavior with Dolca and Joffre would not be considered a sin.
Essay Topic 3
Severo gets further proof of his belief that all things are God-ordained, when he encounters Josefa at Sant Clara. What one man sees as evidence of God's work, however, may look like a series of coincidences to another.
1. Do you think the fact of Josefa being at the convent is farther proof that there are no coincidences or accidents? Why or why not?
2. What do you think is meant by the second statement above? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss a situation you or someone you know have experienced that would support or disavow Severo's belief in all things being God-ordained.
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)