|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Jamie take Amara?
2. Where does Palinor go with Fra Murta?
3. What religion is the land of Aclar?
4. What does Fra Murta say will make Palinor confess his sins?
5. What does Esperanca say why Palinor cannot be a heretic?
Essay Topic 1
While Taddeo and Margalida break no laws, their heartless treatment of Josefa brings up questions of what is the true nature of Christian love, especially between a parent and a child.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the statement above.
2. Do you think just because someone claims to be religious it automatically makes them a good person? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Taddeo and Margalida's treatment of Josefa is abusive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The fiery scene that Palinor encounters, as he enters Ciudad, represents Palinor's fear of dying by fire, and his fate in hell that religious leaders believe awaits unrepentant heretics. Fire is the one connection that Palinor shares with his religious adversaries and the only thing Palinor seems to be afraid of.
1. Discuss the symbolism surrounding the scene when Palinor rides into Ciudad.
2. Discuss in detail what kind of man do you think Fra Murta is that he would have the people out on the streets with torches for Palinor to see.
3. Why is Palinor's fear of dying by fire reasonable?
Essay Topic 3
When the prefect immediately throws Palinor in jail for not having a religion, it is clear that the island has no tolerance for dissenters, despite their station in life. Part of that intolerance is driven by fear, as the Christians on this island believe that religion keeps lawlessness at bay. Ironically, Palinor, a model of politeness and respect, has broken no moral code nor harmed anyone on Grandinsula, when he is thrown into jail.
1. Explain the irony in Palinor's situation. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think that intolerance is a problem in the world today? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that religion keeps people from committing crimes? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,422 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)