Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where have Joffre and Dolca walked?
2. What does Amara see when she is high on the mountain?
3. What does Amara say about the chapel?
4. Why is Palinor bound with cordeles and garrotes?
5. Why is Palinor at the blacksmith's shop?
The abbess, like Beneditx, has lived a life cut off from the real world and doesn't encounter sins such as murder and bestiality. The murder was so uneventful to Amara, who grew up in world where killing was often frequent and necessary to eat, that she doesn't even remember why she murdered her sister.
1. Do you think someone like the abbess so cut off from reality is a good person to deal with Amara? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think the murder of her sister doesn't bother Amara?
3. Do you think Amara should be found guilty of murder? Why or why not?
Severo gets further proof of his belief that all things are God-ordained, when he encounters Josefa at Sant Clara. What one man sees as evidence of God's work, however, may look like a series of coincidences to another.
1. Do you think the fact of Josefa being at the convent is farther proof that there are no coincidences or accidents? Why or why not?
2. What do you think is meant by the second statement above? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss a situation you or someone you know have experienced that would support or disavow Severo's belief in all things being God-ordained.
Palinor tells his entire story to the court, telling them that he rose to power through his achievements and respect of his fellow countrymen, attributes that are necessary to gain authority in the theocracy of Grandinsula.
1. From the above sentence and reading in the book what do you think a theocracy is and why would that form of government be a threat to the governing body on the island?
2. Discuss what do you think of a country where a man can become king through achievements and respect?
3. Do you think, given Palinor's background there is anyway for him to find common ground with those on the island? Why or why not?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)