|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Beneditx's outstanding characteristics?
2. What do Severo and Beneditx decide to do about Palinor?
3. What is the time and setting supposed to resemble?
4. What does Josefa teach Amara to do?
5. What does Palinor do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who rescues Palinor and how did they do it?
2. Why don't Margalida and Josefa get along?
3. What does Severo think about as he falls asleep the first night of visiting Palinor and Beneditx?
4. Who is waiting for Severo when he returns home?
5. Why is Beneditx angry and what does he remember about his mother's anger?
6. When a man comes up to Amara and Josefa as they cut nettles what does he tell them?
7. What does Severo tell the nuns about Amara's suffering?
8. What happened to Amara that put her into her present condition when brought back to the Abbey?
9. What does Severo decide to do with the wolf girl?
10. What does Josefa do to help Amara's recovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The abbess, like Beneditx, has lived a life cut off from the real world and doesn't encounter sins such as murder and bestiality. The murder was so uneventful to Amara, who grew up in world where killing was often frequent and necessary to eat, that she doesn't even remember why she murdered her sister.
1. Do you think someone like the abbess so cut off from reality is a good person to deal with Amara? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think the murder of her sister doesn't bother Amara?
3. Do you think Amara should be found guilty of murder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Now that Beneditx has spent time with Palinor, he realizes that a man can be good without knowing God. Palinor has been nothing but kind and respectful to the people he has encountered, and he has used his time at Saracen's House to study and to make practical improvements to the grounds and for its servants.
1. Write a comparison of how Beneditx's and Palinor's relationship has changed compared to two persons from very different cultures who get to know each other well.
2. If nonbelievers can be good and believers can be bad, explain what you think creates a good or a bad person.
3. Do you think Palinor is being illogical for helping people who might put him to death? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Fra Murta believes a country without religion sounds horrible, as religious leaders believe people's belief in God is the only thing that keeps them from sinning. Palinor counters by saying that people also will abide by laws, because they make sense, again providing an alternate explanation for something Grandinsula's leaders previously have attributed only to God.
1. Do you think people obey the law in America because the law makes sense? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor's statement about the law holds true for every person who lives in Aclar? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think the religious leaders have such little faith in men obeying the law?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)