|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beneditx doing?
2. What does Josefa notice about Amara?
3. Who is to stay with Palinor?
4. What does Palinor ask to do?
5. How is the reader supposed to view the setting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about his view of the truth?
2. Why is Beneditx angry and what does he remember about his mother's anger?
3. Why don't Margalida and Josefa get along?
4. What is the creature, the nervados, tracked doing when they see it and what happens in the first few minutes?
5. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about the need to explain everything?
6. What does Josefa do to help Amara's recovery?
7. Where is Palinor staying in Cuidad and what does Beneditx do about Palinor?
8. What do the nuns decide to do with Amara first and how do they do it?
9. What does Josefa observe about Amara especially when thinking about her younger brothers?
10. Where does Palinor travel to find help and what does the prefect observe about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Severo's dream brings to light the role the Cardinal has played in Palinor's downfall. Severo easily could have let Palinor go, as the man clearly washed up on Grandinsula by accident, but Severo chose to detain Palinor, because he was interested in talking further with the atheist. What has happened to Palinor on Grandinsula is not a result of God's providence or God's hand, but of Severo's selfish desires.
1. Do you think it is Severo's fault that Palinor is being held? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor should lie to save his life? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were in Severo's position? How about Palinor's?
Essay Topic 2
There is a glimmer of hope for the nuns as Amara takes to the litter box. Her savage nature, however, is once more revealed as she immediately is accepted into a pack of hunters' hounds.
1. Do you think it is possible for a child to be raised in the wilds and survive? Why or why not?
2. Do you think, given Amara's age, she will ever be able to act completely human? Why or why not?
3. How do you think the situation with Amara could be used to test the nature versus nurture controversy?
Essay Topic 3
Beneditx struggles through the night with anger. He remembers his mother, who was single and provided for her son by mending linen and making clothes. The only thing that made her angry was, when her sewing tools were blunt or her thread would break. Benedict feels like his arguments with Palinor have been like those blunt tools, and he is angry that he did not recognize the errors that Palinor has pointed out. Beneditx knows his sin is pride in his own intelligence, and he has never before experienced the pain of defeat.
1. Do you think Beneditx is angry at himself or at Palinor? Why or why not?
2. No one likes to think they are very good at a particular skill and then find that someone else is better. What do you think Beneditx should do with the way he is feeling?
3. Do you think it is wrong for Beneditx to have pride in his intelligence? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)