|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Severo decide to visit Saracen?
2. Why has Jaime come to Sant Clara?
3. Who approaches Josefa and Amara?
4. What makes Josefa happy about Amara's question?
5. What stimulates Severo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about his view of the truth?
2. What does Severo tell the nuns about Amara's suffering?
3. What happened to Amara that put her into her present condition when brought back to the Abbey?
4. What happens with Beneditx?
5. How does Fra Murta finally get Palinor?
6. Why doesn't the abbess care about Amara?
7. For what is Beneditx noted?
8. What does Eseranca say about Palinor?
9. Why does Severo turn Palinor over to Fra Murta?
10. Summarize the discussion between Severo and Fra Murta about conscience and Palinor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fra Murta believes a country without religion sounds horrible, as religious leaders believe people's belief in God is the only thing that keeps them from sinning. Palinor counters by saying that people also will abide by laws, because they make sense, again providing an alternate explanation for something Grandinsula's leaders previously have attributed only to God.
1. Do you think people obey the law in America because the law makes sense? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor's statement about the law holds true for every person who lives in Aclar? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think the religious leaders have such little faith in men obeying the law?
Essay Topic 2
Severo gets further proof of his belief that all things are God-ordained, when he encounters Josefa at Sant Clara. What one man sees as evidence of God's work, however, may look like a series of coincidences to another.
1. Do you think the fact of Josefa being at the convent is farther proof that there are no coincidences or accidents? Why or why not?
2. What do you think is meant by the second statement above? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss a situation you or someone you know have experienced that would support or disavow Severo's belief in all things being God-ordained.
Essay Topic 3
Severo's dream brings to light the role the Cardinal has played in Palinor's downfall. Severo easily could have let Palinor go, as the man clearly washed up on Grandinsula by accident, but Severo chose to detain Palinor, because he was interested in talking further with the atheist. What has happened to Palinor on Grandinsula is not a result of God's providence or God's hand, but of Severo's selfish desires.
1. Do you think it is Severo's fault that Palinor is being held? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor should lie to save his life? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were in Severo's position? How about Palinor's?
This section contains 3,144 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)