|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one odd characteristic of Amara?
2. What does Palinor say truth is like?
3. What makes Josefa happy about Amara's question?
4. What does Josefa ask to do with Amara?
5. Who does Palinor say he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Severo respond to Jamie's story?
2. What does Severo suggest to Beneditx?
3. How does Sor Blancha realize Amara misses Josefa and what happens when she does?
4. What do the nuns decide to do with Amara first and how do they do it?
5. For what is Beneditx noted?
6. How does Amara get away from the convent?
7. Who is waiting for Severo when he returns home?
8. When a man comes up to Amara and Josefa as they cut nettles what does he tell them?
9. Why don't Margalida and Josefa get along?
10. What does Palinor say about men who break the law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Amara has survived, her savage upbringing and subsequent gang rape have subjected her to horrible atrocities. God is clearly not present in, or protecting, her life.
1. What type of agenda do you think the author has by showing a girl like Amara who has suffered so much?
2. Do you think a child in real life could experience what Amara has and be as well as she has become? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think the shepherds who gang raped Amara were not arrested for the crime?
Essay Topic 2
Severo's dream brings to light the role the Cardinal has played in Palinor's downfall. Severo easily could have let Palinor go, as the man clearly washed up on Grandinsula by accident, but Severo chose to detain Palinor, because he was interested in talking further with the atheist. What has happened to Palinor on Grandinsula is not a result of God's providence or God's hand, but of Severo's selfish desires.
1. Do you think it is Severo's fault that Palinor is being held? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor should lie to save his life? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were in Severo's position? How about Palinor's?
Essay Topic 3
Palinor would consider anything a sin that advanced oneself at the expense of another. Sin should be left to church anyway, because churchmen have the expertise, Palinor says.
1. Discuss what behaviors might be considered sin by Palinor according to the above statement.
2. Do you agree with Palinor that sin should be left to the church? Why or why not?
3. Explain why, according to Palinor's definition of sin, his behavior with Dolca and Joffre would not be considered a sin.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)