|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do two fishermen see as they are mending their nets?
2. What does Josefa ask to do with Amara?
3. Who tells Beneditx he needs his assistance?
4. Who is there to greet Severo when he returns to the Cuidad?
5. What do Severo and Beneditx debate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Gaspar and his life does Severo think of while he is riding to see Palinor?
2. How does the author ask the reader to think about the island? What would those thoughts reveal?
3. How does Sor Blancha realize Amara misses Josefa and what happens when she does?
4. What is the creature, the nervados, tracked doing when they see it and what happens in the first few minutes?
5. What happens when Dolca comes into Palinor's room on an errand?
6. What does Severo suggest to Beneditx?
7. What happened to Amara that put her into her present condition when brought back to the Abbey?
8. Who rescues Palinor and how did they do it?
9. What does Joffre tell Palinor about Dolca?
10. How does Severo respond to Jamie's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beneditx struggles through the night with anger. He remembers his mother, who was single and provided for her son by mending linen and making clothes. The only thing that made her angry was, when her sewing tools were blunt or her thread would break. Benedict feels like his arguments with Palinor have been like those blunt tools, and he is angry that he did not recognize the errors that Palinor has pointed out. Beneditx knows his sin is pride in his own intelligence, and he has never before experienced the pain of defeat.
1. Do you think Beneditx is angry at himself or at Palinor? Why or why not?
2. No one likes to think they are very good at a particular skill and then find that someone else is better. What do you think Beneditx should do with the way he is feeling?
3. Do you think it is wrong for Beneditx to have pride in his intelligence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While Taddeo and Margalida break no laws, their heartless treatment of Josefa brings up questions of what is the true nature of Christian love, especially between a parent and a child.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the statement above.
2. Do you think just because someone claims to be religious it automatically makes them a good person? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Taddeo and Margalida's treatment of Josefa is abusive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When the prefect immediately throws Palinor in jail for not having a religion, it is clear that the island has no tolerance for dissenters, despite their station in life. Part of that intolerance is driven by fear, as the Christians on this island believe that religion keeps lawlessness at bay. Ironically, Palinor, a model of politeness and respect, has broken no moral code nor harmed anyone on Grandinsula, when he is thrown into jail.
1. Explain the irony in Palinor's situation. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think that intolerance is a problem in the world today? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that religion keeps people from committing crimes? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)