Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Amara go?
2. What toy has Jaime brought Amara?
3. Who is to stay with Palinor?
4. While the four men are eating dinner, what does Beneditx do?
5. What are the men doing at the snow house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Severo looking on a map of the world?
2. How does Amara get away from the convent?
3. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about his view of the truth?
4. What does Josefa observe about Amara especially when thinking about her younger brothers?
5. What does Severo decide to do with the wolf girl?
6. Why don't Margalida and Josefa get along?
7. For what is Beneditx noted?
8. How does the author ask the reader to think about the island? What would those thoughts reveal?
9. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about the need to explain everything?
10. What happened to Amara that put her into her present condition when brought back to the Abbey?
Severo's dream brings to light the role the Cardinal has played in Palinor's downfall. Severo easily could have let Palinor go, as the man clearly washed up on Grandinsula by accident, but Severo chose to detain Palinor, because he was interested in talking further with the atheist. What has happened to Palinor on Grandinsula is not a result of God's providence or God's hand, but of Severo's selfish desires.
1. Do you think it is Severo's fault that Palinor is being held? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor should lie to save his life? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were in Severo's position? How about Palinor's?
Fra Murta believes a country without religion sounds horrible, as religious leaders believe people's belief in God is the only thing that keeps them from sinning. Palinor counters by saying that people also will abide by laws, because they make sense, again providing an alternate explanation for something Grandinsula's leaders previously have attributed only to God.
1. Do you think people obey the law in America because the law makes sense? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor's statement about the law holds true for every person who lives in Aclar? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think the religious leaders have such little faith in men obeying the law?
Amara's upbringing by wolves, however, seems to have altered her in ways that cannot be changed, such as her dislike for human touch and contact, things that humans have long assumed are necessary for healthy living. Like an animal, Amara only seems to live in the present and seems unaware of how the past and future affect her.
1. Do you think that animals live only in the present? Why or why not?
2. Do you think if a human child really was raised by the wolves that child would ever be able to learn all of the intricacies of being human? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would be the effect on human society if humans lived mostly for the present without looking back to the past or ahead to the future?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)