|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shepherd tell the men at the snow house?
2. Where does Amara go?
3. What does the priest tell the Mother Superior?
4. What does Palinor ask Dolca to do?
5. Why is Beneditx angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Severo decide to do with the wolf girl?
2. How does the author ask the reader to think about the island? What would those thoughts reveal?
3. What does Josefa do to help Amara's recovery?
4. What does Severo suggest to Beneditx?
5. Who rescues Palinor and how did they do it?
6. When a man comes up to Amara and Josefa as they cut nettles what does he tell them?
7. What does Severo tell the nuns about Amara's suffering?
8. How does Severo respond to Jamie's story?
9. Why is Beneditx angry and what does he remember about his mother's anger?
10. What do the nuns decide to do with Amara first and how do they do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the prefect immediately throws Palinor in jail for not having a religion, it is clear that the island has no tolerance for dissenters, despite their station in life. Part of that intolerance is driven by fear, as the Christians on this island believe that religion keeps lawlessness at bay. Ironically, Palinor, a model of politeness and respect, has broken no moral code nor harmed anyone on Grandinsula, when he is thrown into jail.
1. Explain the irony in Palinor's situation. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think that intolerance is a problem in the world today? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that religion keeps people from committing crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Severo's dream brings to light the role the Cardinal has played in Palinor's downfall. Severo easily could have let Palinor go, as the man clearly washed up on Grandinsula by accident, but Severo chose to detain Palinor, because he was interested in talking further with the atheist. What has happened to Palinor on Grandinsula is not a result of God's providence or God's hand, but of Severo's selfish desires.
1. Do you think it is Severo's fault that Palinor is being held? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor should lie to save his life? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were in Severo's position? How about Palinor's?
Essay Topic 3
Now that Beneditx has spent time with Palinor, he realizes that a man can be good without knowing God. Palinor has been nothing but kind and respectful to the people he has encountered, and he has used his time at Saracen's House to study and to make practical improvements to the grounds and for its servants.
1. Write a comparison of how Beneditx's and Palinor's relationship has changed compared to two persons from very different cultures who get to know each other well.
2. If nonbelievers can be good and believers can be bad, explain what you think creates a good or a bad person.
3. Do you think Palinor is being illogical for helping people who might put him to death? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)