|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palinor do?
2. What does Severo decide to do with the wolf child?
3. Who ends up caring for Amara?
4. What is the greatest task ever asked of the nuns at Sant Clara?
5. What does Palinor tell Dolca she can do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Beneditx angry and what does he remember about his mother's anger?
2. How is Amara doing now and what does she gain by it?
3. What is the creature, the nervados, tracked doing when they see it and what happens in the first few minutes?
4. How does Sor Blancha realize Amara misses Josefa and what happens when she does?
5. What happens when Dolca comes into Palinor's room on an errand?
6. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about the need to explain everything?
7. Where does Palinor travel to find help and what does the prefect observe about him?
8. When a man comes up to Amara and Josefa as they cut nettles what does he tell them?
9. What does Severo suggest to Beneditx?
10. What does Josefa do to help Amara's recovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Now that Beneditx has spent time with Palinor, he realizes that a man can be good without knowing God. Palinor has been nothing but kind and respectful to the people he has encountered, and he has used his time at Saracen's House to study and to make practical improvements to the grounds and for its servants.
1. Write a comparison of how Beneditx's and Palinor's relationship has changed compared to two persons from very different cultures who get to know each other well.
2. If nonbelievers can be good and believers can be bad, explain what you think creates a good or a bad person.
3. Do you think Palinor is being illogical for helping people who might put him to death? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When the prefect immediately throws Palinor in jail for not having a religion, it is clear that the island has no tolerance for dissenters, despite their station in life. Part of that intolerance is driven by fear, as the Christians on this island believe that religion keeps lawlessness at bay. Ironically, Palinor, a model of politeness and respect, has broken no moral code nor harmed anyone on Grandinsula, when he is thrown into jail.
1. Explain the irony in Palinor's situation. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think that intolerance is a problem in the world today? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that religion keeps people from committing crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While Taddeo and Margalida break no laws, their heartless treatment of Josefa brings up questions of what is the true nature of Christian love, especially between a parent and a child.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the statement above.
2. Do you think just because someone claims to be religious it automatically makes them a good person? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Taddeo and Margalida's treatment of Josefa is abusive? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)