|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that they find in a cave?
2. What is the greatest task ever asked of the nuns at Sant Clara?
3. What does Palinor ask to do?
4. What is Beneditx doing?
5. What do the group who come to the convent want?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is waiting for Severo when he returns home?
2. Who rescues Palinor and how did they do it?
3. What happened to Amara that put her into her present condition when brought back to the Abbey?
4. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about his view of the truth?
5. Where does Palinor travel to find help and what does the prefect observe about him?
6. For what is Beneditx noted?
7. What does Josefa observe about Amara especially when thinking about her younger brothers?
8. What does Severo decide to do with the wolf girl?
9. When a man comes up to Amara and Josefa as they cut nettles what does he tell them?
10. How does the author ask the reader to think about the island? What would those thoughts reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Palinor would consider anything a sin that advanced oneself at the expense of another. Sin should be left to church anyway, because churchmen have the expertise, Palinor says.
1. Discuss what behaviors might be considered sin by Palinor according to the above statement.
2. Do you agree with Palinor that sin should be left to the church? Why or why not?
3. Explain why, according to Palinor's definition of sin, his behavior with Dolca and Joffre would not be considered a sin.
Essay Topic 2
Severo's dream brings to light the role the Cardinal has played in Palinor's downfall. Severo easily could have let Palinor go, as the man clearly washed up on Grandinsula by accident, but Severo chose to detain Palinor, because he was interested in talking further with the atheist. What has happened to Palinor on Grandinsula is not a result of God's providence or God's hand, but of Severo's selfish desires.
1. Do you think it is Severo's fault that Palinor is being held? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor should lie to save his life? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were in Severo's position? How about Palinor's?
Essay Topic 3
While Amara has survived, her savage upbringing and subsequent gang rape have subjected her to horrible atrocities. God is clearly not present in, or protecting, her life.
1. What type of agenda do you think the author has by showing a girl like Amara who has suffered so much?
2. Do you think a child in real life could experience what Amara has and be as well as she has become? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think the shepherds who gang raped Amara were not arrested for the crime?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)