Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Amara go?
2. What toy has Jaime brought Amara?
3. Who is to stay with Palinor?
4. While the four men are eating dinner, what does Beneditx do?
5. What are the men doing at the snow house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Severo looking on a map of the world?
2. How does Amara get away from the convent?
3. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about his view of the truth?
4. What does Josefa observe about Amara especially when thinking about her younger brothers?
5. What does Severo decide to do with the wolf girl?
6. Why don't Margalida and Josefa get along?
7. For what is Beneditx noted?
8. How does the author ask the reader to think about the island? What would those thoughts reveal?
9. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about the need to explain everything?
10. What happened to Amara that put her into her present condition when brought back to the Abbey?
Essay Topic 1
The abbess, like Beneditx, has lived a life cut off from the real world and doesn't encounter sins such as murder and bestiality. The murder was so uneventful to Amara, who grew up in world where killing was often frequent and necessary to eat, that she doesn't even remember why she murdered her sister.
1. Do you think someone like the abbess so cut off from reality is a good person to deal with Amara? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think the murder of her sister doesn't bother Amara?
3. Do you think Amara should be found guilty of murder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Amara's upbringing by wolves, however, seems to have altered her in ways that cannot be changed, such as her dislike for human touch and contact, things that humans have long assumed are necessary for healthy living. Like an animal, Amara only seems to live in the present and seems unaware of how the past and future affect her.
1. Do you think that animals live only in the present? Why or why not?
2. Do you think if a human child really was raised by the wolves that child would ever be able to learn all of the intricacies of being human? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would be the effect on human society if humans lived mostly for the present without looking back to the past or ahead to the future?
Essay Topic 3
Severo's dream brings to light the role the Cardinal has played in Palinor's downfall. Severo easily could have let Palinor go, as the man clearly washed up on Grandinsula by accident, but Severo chose to detain Palinor, because he was interested in talking further with the atheist. What has happened to Palinor on Grandinsula is not a result of God's providence or God's hand, but of Severo's selfish desires.
1. Do you think it is Severo's fault that Palinor is being held? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor should lie to save his life? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were in Severo's position? How about Palinor's?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)