|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Amara go?
2. What toy has Jaime brought Amara?
3. Who is to stay with Palinor?
4. While the four men are eating dinner, what does Beneditx do?
5. What are the men doing at the snow house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Severo looking on a map of the world?
2. How does Amara get away from the convent?
3. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about his view of the truth?
4. What does Josefa observe about Amara especially when thinking about her younger brothers?
5. What does Severo decide to do with the wolf girl?
6. Why don't Margalida and Josefa get along?
7. For what is Beneditx noted?
8. How does the author ask the reader to think about the island? What would those thoughts reveal?
9. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about the need to explain everything?
10. What happened to Amara that put her into her present condition when brought back to the Abbey?
Essay Topic 1
Amara's upbringing by wolves, however, seems to have altered her in ways that cannot be changed, such as her dislike for human touch and contact, things that humans have long assumed are necessary for healthy living. Like an animal, Amara only seems to live in the present and seems unaware of how the past and future affect her.
1. Do you think that animals live only in the present? Why or why not?
2. Do you think if a human child really was raised by the wolves that child would ever be able to learn all of the intricacies of being human? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would be the effect on human society if humans lived mostly for the present without looking back to the past or ahead to the future?
Essay Topic 2
The fiery scene that Palinor encounters, as he enters Ciudad, represents Palinor's fear of dying by fire, and his fate in hell that religious leaders believe awaits unrepentant heretics. Fire is the one connection that Palinor shares with his religious adversaries and the only thing Palinor seems to be afraid of.
1. Discuss the symbolism surrounding the scene when Palinor rides into Ciudad.
2. Discuss in detail what kind of man do you think Fra Murta is that he would have the people out on the streets with torches for Palinor to see.
3. Why is Palinor's fear of dying by fire reasonable?
Essay Topic 3
Beneditx struggles through the night with anger. He remembers his mother, who was single and provided for her son by mending linen and making clothes. The only thing that made her angry was, when her sewing tools were blunt or her thread would break. Benedict feels like his arguments with Palinor have been like those blunt tools, and he is angry that he did not recognize the errors that Palinor has pointed out. Beneditx knows his sin is pride in his own intelligence, and he has never before experienced the pain of defeat.
1. Do you think Beneditx is angry at himself or at Palinor? Why or why not?
2. No one likes to think they are very good at a particular skill and then find that someone else is better. What do you think Beneditx should do with the way he is feeling?
3. Do you think it is wrong for Beneditx to have pride in his intelligence? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,041 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)