|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Amara?
2. About what do Palinor, Severo, and Beneditx speak?
3. What does Palinor do?
4. What does Palinor argue?
5. What does Palinor ask Dolca to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Amara doing now and what does she gain by it?
2. For what is Beneditx noted?
3. Who is waiting for Severo when he returns home?
4. What does Joffre tell Palinor about Dolca?
5. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about his view of the truth?
6. What does Severo decide to do with the wolf girl?
7. How does the author ask the reader to think about the island? What would those thoughts reveal?
8. What does Josefa observe about Amara especially when thinking about her younger brothers?
9. How does Amara get away from the convent?
10. When a man comes up to Amara and Josefa as they cut nettles what does he tell them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Palinor would consider anything a sin that advanced oneself at the expense of another. Sin should be left to church anyway, because churchmen have the expertise, Palinor says.
1. Discuss what behaviors might be considered sin by Palinor according to the above statement.
2. Do you agree with Palinor that sin should be left to the church? Why or why not?
3. Explain why, according to Palinor's definition of sin, his behavior with Dolca and Joffre would not be considered a sin.
Essay Topic 2
Severo's dream brings to light the role the Cardinal has played in Palinor's downfall. Severo easily could have let Palinor go, as the man clearly washed up on Grandinsula by accident, but Severo chose to detain Palinor, because he was interested in talking further with the atheist. What has happened to Palinor on Grandinsula is not a result of God's providence or God's hand, but of Severo's selfish desires.
1. Do you think it is Severo's fault that Palinor is being held? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Palinor should lie to save his life? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were in Severo's position? How about Palinor's?
Essay Topic 3
Now that Beneditx has spent time with Palinor, he realizes that a man can be good without knowing God. Palinor has been nothing but kind and respectful to the people he has encountered, and he has used his time at Saracen's House to study and to make practical improvements to the grounds and for its servants.
1. Write a comparison of how Beneditx's and Palinor's relationship has changed compared to two persons from very different cultures who get to know each other well.
2. If nonbelievers can be good and believers can be bad, explain what you think creates a good or a bad person.
3. Do you think Palinor is being illogical for helping people who might put him to death? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)