|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palinor say is proof of what is?
2. What does Palinor ask to do?
3. Why is Beneditx worried?
4. How is the reader supposed to view the setting?
5. What happens when Josefa is ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the nuns decide to do with Amara first and how do they do it?
2. How is Amara doing now and what does she gain by it?
3. Where does Palinor travel to find help and what does the prefect observe about him?
4. What about Gaspar and his life does Severo think of while he is riding to see Palinor?
5. What does Josefa do to help Amara's recovery?
6. What is the creature, the nervados, tracked doing when they see it and what happens in the first few minutes?
7. What does Severo think about as he falls asleep the first night of visiting Palinor and Beneditx?
8. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about the need to explain everything?
9. How does Severo respond to Jamie's story?
10. What do Severo and Beneditx debate about and what are each of their views?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beneditx struggles through the night with anger. He remembers his mother, who was single and provided for her son by mending linen and making clothes. The only thing that made her angry was, when her sewing tools were blunt or her thread would break. Benedict feels like his arguments with Palinor have been like those blunt tools, and he is angry that he did not recognize the errors that Palinor has pointed out. Beneditx knows his sin is pride in his own intelligence, and he has never before experienced the pain of defeat.
1. Do you think Beneditx is angry at himself or at Palinor? Why or why not?
2. No one likes to think they are very good at a particular skill and then find that someone else is better. What do you think Beneditx should do with the way he is feeling?
3. Do you think it is wrong for Beneditx to have pride in his intelligence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While Taddeo and Margalida break no laws, their heartless treatment of Josefa brings up questions of what is the true nature of Christian love, especially between a parent and a child.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the statement above.
2. Do you think just because someone claims to be religious it automatically makes them a good person? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Taddeo and Margalida's treatment of Josefa is abusive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Palinor commits what we would be considered horrible sexual sin in the eyes of Grandinsula's religious people. He has sex with a boy and a girl, and then watches them have sex with each other. Dolca and Joffre don't protest, however, and they seem to enjoy the learning experience. In this case, "sin" is presented as something that can be enjoyable and uplifting rather than something destructive and hurtful.
1. Do you think the definition of a "sin" which is to say something morally wrong differs from culture to culture? Why or why not?
2. It has been debated through the ages whether everyone sees immorality as representing the same behaviors. Why do you think Palinor's definition of morality is different from Beneditx's?
3. In a culture where an institution such as the church or the government defines what are right and wrong acts who benefits from the power that control people's lives with the threat of "sin" or the definition of morality? What would be the advantage to an institution to convince people that institution was the only authority that could define right and wrong?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)