|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palinor say truth is like?
2. What do Severo and Beneditx debate?
3. Where does Amara go?
4. How many parties does the reader see traveling on the mountain?
5. What does Beneditx ask Palinor to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Severo say to Fra Murta to explain his behavior concerning Palinor? How does the Fra feel about it?
2. Why does Severo say the experiment with Amara is void?
3. What does Severo think about as he falls asleep the first night of visiting Palinor and Beneditx?
4. What does Palinor think about as far as writings of St. Augustine?
5. Who is waiting for Severo when he returns home?
6. Describe Severo's dream and what he sees is the moral in it.
7. How does Amara get away from the convent?
8. Summarize the discussion between Severo and Fra Murta about conscience and Palinor.
9. What does Palinor say about men who break the law?
10. When a man comes up to Amara and Josefa as they cut nettles what does he tell them?
Essay Topic 1
The fiery scene that Palinor encounters, as he enters Ciudad, represents Palinor's fear of dying by fire, and his fate in hell that religious leaders believe awaits unrepentant heretics. Fire is the one connection that Palinor shares with his religious adversaries and the only thing Palinor seems to be afraid of.
1. Discuss the symbolism surrounding the scene when Palinor rides into Ciudad.
2. Discuss in detail what kind of man do you think Fra Murta is that he would have the people out on the streets with torches for Palinor to see.
3. Why is Palinor's fear of dying by fire reasonable?
Essay Topic 2
The abbess, like Beneditx, has lived a life cut off from the real world and doesn't encounter sins such as murder and bestiality. The murder was so uneventful to Amara, who grew up in world where killing was often frequent and necessary to eat, that she doesn't even remember why she murdered her sister.
1. Do you think someone like the abbess so cut off from reality is a good person to deal with Amara? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think the murder of her sister doesn't bother Amara?
3. Do you think Amara should be found guilty of murder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While Taddeo and Margalida break no laws, their heartless treatment of Josefa brings up questions of what is the true nature of Christian love, especially between a parent and a child.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the statement above.
2. Do you think just because someone claims to be religious it automatically makes them a good person? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Taddeo and Margalida's treatment of Josefa is abusive? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,208 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)