|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jaime worried?
2. Who is there to greet Severo when he returns to the Cuidad?
3. Why is Beneditx worried?
4. About what do Palinor, Severo, and Beneditx speak?
5. What does Beneditx ask Palinor to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the creature, the nervados, tracked doing when they see it and what happens in the first few minutes?
2. How does Amara get away from the convent?
3. What does Severo tell the nuns about Amara's suffering?
4. What does Josefa observe about Amara especially when thinking about her younger brothers?
5. When a man comes up to Amara and Josefa as they cut nettles what does he tell them?
6. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about the need to explain everything?
7. What happened to Amara that put her into her present condition when brought back to the Abbey?
8. Where does Palinor travel to find help and what does the prefect observe about him?
9. Why is Beneditx angry and what does he remember about his mother's anger?
10. How does Severo respond to Jamie's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Palinor tells his entire story to the court, telling them that he rose to power through his achievements and respect of his fellow countrymen, attributes that are necessary to gain authority in the theocracy of Grandinsula.
1. From the above sentence and reading in the book what do you think a theocracy is and why would that form of government be a threat to the governing body on the island?
2. Discuss what do you think of a country where a man can become king through achievements and respect?
3. Do you think, given Palinor's background there is anyway for him to find common ground with those on the island? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of whether coincidences or luck have a place in a world supposedly ruled by God comes into play in Chapter 1.
1. What do you think the statement above means? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There are some belief systems which state there are no coincidences. Discuss what you think about this belief.
3. Do you think the theme of whether coincidences or luck have a place in a world is adequately supported in the first chapter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While Taddeo and Margalida break no laws, their heartless treatment of Josefa brings up questions of what is the true nature of Christian love, especially between a parent and a child.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the statement above.
2. Do you think just because someone claims to be religious it automatically makes them a good person? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Taddeo and Margalida's treatment of Josefa is abusive? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)