|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shepherd tell the men at the snow house?
2. What does Palinor say is proof of what is?
3. What do two fishermen see as they are mending their nets?
4. Who is to stay with Palinor?
5. What does Severo wonder as he lies on his pallet?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is Beneditx noted?
2. What happens when Dolca comes into Palinor's room on an errand?
3. How does Severo respond to Jamie's story?
4. What does Josefa do to help Amara's recovery?
5. Where does Palinor travel to find help and what does the prefect observe about him?
6. Who is waiting for Severo when he returns home?
7. How is Amara doing now and what does she gain by it?
8. What does Severo decide to do with the wolf girl?
9. What does Severo tell the nuns about Amara's suffering?
10. What do the nuns decide to do with Amara first and how do they do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the prefect immediately throws Palinor in jail for not having a religion, it is clear that the island has no tolerance for dissenters, despite their station in life. Part of that intolerance is driven by fear, as the Christians on this island believe that religion keeps lawlessness at bay. Ironically, Palinor, a model of politeness and respect, has broken no moral code nor harmed anyone on Grandinsula, when he is thrown into jail.
1. Explain the irony in Palinor's situation. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think that intolerance is a problem in the world today? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that religion keeps people from committing crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
This chapter elaborates on some of the primary religious questions raised in the novel. Palinor believes he arrived on the island by accident, while Severo and Beneditx believe his presence must have a godly purpose.
1. Do you think Palinor arrived at the island by accident? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Severo and Beneditx want to persuade Palinor his coming was no accident?
3. If Palinor is burned at the stake for his lack of belief, would that change your answer to the first two questions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Palinor would consider anything a sin that advanced oneself at the expense of another. Sin should be left to church anyway, because churchmen have the expertise, Palinor says.
1. Discuss what behaviors might be considered sin by Palinor according to the above statement.
2. Do you agree with Palinor that sin should be left to the church? Why or why not?
3. Explain why, according to Palinor's definition of sin, his behavior with Dolca and Joffre would not be considered a sin.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)