|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Palinor need?
(a) A moneylender to get his passage home.
(c) A wise man for advice.
(d) A wife.
2. What happens when Josefa is ill?
(a) Amara asks about her.
(b) Amara reverts to her old ways.
(c) Amara hides.
(d) Amara cries in the corner.
3. What does Joffre reveal to Palinor?
(a) That Dolca loves Palinor.
(b) That Dolca was once raped and will not have sex since.
(c) That Dolca is actually his sweetheart, not his sister.
(d) That Joffre is attracted to Palinor.
4. What does Josefa notice about Amara?
(a) She is very talkative to all the nuns.
(b) She is eager to please now.
(c) She is growing into her head.
(d) She is different from Josefa's younger brothers.
5. What does Palinor ask to do?
(b) Go home if he says he believes in God.
(c) Redesign the house.
(d) Work in the garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stimulates Severo?
2. Who does Palinor say he is?
3. What does Beneditx say can be seen in the eyes of a newborn?
4. What takes Beneditx and Severo by surprise?
5. What is one odd characteristic of Amara?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Amara get away from the convent?
2. Why is Beneditx angry and what does he remember about his mother's anger?
3. What happened to Amara that put her into her present condition when brought back to the Abbey?
4. What does Severo tell the nuns about Amara's suffering?
5. When a man comes up to Amara and Josefa as they cut nettles what does he tell them?
6. For what is Beneditx noted?
7. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about the need to explain everything?
8. How does the author ask the reader to think about the island? What would those thoughts reveal?
9. How is Amara doing now and what does she gain by it?
10. What does Severo decide to do with the wolf girl?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)