|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Severo decide to visit Saracen?
(a) To get away from his duties for awhile.
(b) To see how Palinor and Beneditx are doing.
(c) To check on his vineyards,
(d) To exercise his horse.
2. What is the greatest task ever asked of the nuns at Sant Clara?
(a) Letting Josefa take different vows from the rest of them.
(b) Allowing a young boy to live at the nunnery.
(c) Caring for Amara.
(d) Obeying men who do not know about them as individuals.
3. What does Palinor need?
(a) A wife.
(b) A wise man for advice.
(c) A moneylender to get his passage home.
4. What does Severo encounter at the entrance to his home?
(a) A group of shepherds.
(b) A group of soldiers.
(c) Amara who has run away from the nunnery.
(d) A new fountain.
5. What are the men doing at the snow house?
(a) Making wine.
(b) Melting the snow.
(d) Making snow blocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Josefa ask to do with Amara?
2. What does Mother Superior ask of Jaime?
3. While the four men are eating dinner, what does Beneditx do?
4. What do the nuns decide the best approach is to helping Amara?
5. What does Palinor wonder about his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Beneditx angry and what does he remember about his mother's anger?
2. What does Josefa observe about Amara especially when thinking about her younger brothers?
3. How does the author ask the reader to think about the island? What would those thoughts reveal?
4. How does Amara get away from the convent?
5. What does Severo think about as he falls asleep the first night of visiting Palinor and Beneditx?
6. Where is Palinor staying in Cuidad and what does Beneditx do about Palinor?
7. What does Joffre tell Palinor about Dolca?
8. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about the need to explain everything?
9. What does Palinor say about men who break the law?
10. How does Severo respond to Jamie's story?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)