|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do two fishermen see as they are mending their nets?
(a) A huge shark about to engulf a boat.
(b) A baby porpoise that seems lost.
(c) A beached whale.
(d) Someone swimming towards shore.
2. What does Joffre reveal to Palinor?
(a) That Dolca is actually his sweetheart, not his sister.
(b) That Joffre is attracted to Palinor.
(c) That Dolca was once raped and will not have sex since.
(d) That Dolca loves Palinor.
3. What does Mother Superior ask of Jaime?
(a) That he come visit regularly.
(b) That he leave.
(c) About Amara's history.
(d) About his wife's illness.
4. What is the time and setting supposed to resemble?
(a) 1100 in Tasmania.
(b) 1500 in Atlantis.
(c) 1450 in Mallorca.
(d) 1450 in Catalina.
5. About what do the villagers tease Esperanca?
(a) About her desire to learn to read and write.
(b) About a reward she is expecting from Palinor.
(c) About her son's tendency to wander for days without working.
(d) About her fixing some clothing for the village idiot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beneditx think will convince Palinor of God?
2. Why is Beneditx worried?
3. Why is Jaime worried?
4. Why is Dolca afraid?
5. From where is Palinor?
Short Essay Questions
1. When a man comes up to Amara and Josefa as they cut nettles what does he tell them?
2. What happened to Amara that put her into her present condition when brought back to the Abbey?
3. What does Severo think about as he falls asleep the first night of visiting Palinor and Beneditx?
4. Why is Beneditx angry and what does he remember about his mother's anger?
5. Who rescues Palinor and how did they do it?
6. What does Palinor tell Beneditx about his view of the truth?
7. What does Josefa do to help Amara's recovery?
8. How does the author ask the reader to think about the island? What would those thoughts reveal?
9. How does Sor Blancha realize Amara misses Josefa and what happens when she does?
10. For what is Beneditx noted?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)