|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After being tortured what does Palinor say to Fra Murta?
(a) He believes in God and lied before.
(b) Fra Murta will be killed if he does more to Palinor.
(c) Severo is a heretic.
(d) He will be punished in hell.
2. What does Jamie find out about abandoned babies?
(a) It is a common practice.
(b) It is usually the father that makes the mother do it.
(c) It never happens.
(d) It usually occurs when the mother dies.
3. What does Fra Murta believe about Palinor's descriptions of Aclar?
(a) That it does not exist.
(b) That he would like to visit.
(c) That he should burn for them.
(d) That he is lying.
4. How does Galceran show he may have exposed Amara to God?
(a) Taking her to a chapel.
(b) Telling her the Lord's Prayer.
(c) Praying within range of her hearing.
(d) Cursing at her.
5. Why is Severo's dream important to him?
(a) He sees it as an allegory for Beneditx.
(b) He sees it as a symbol of his rising status.
(c) He sees it as a comment on how he treated Palinor.
(d) He sees it as a metaphor for Amara.
6. What does Fra Murta say will make Palinor confess his sins?
(a) Talking to the pope.
(b) Nothing will make him confess.
(c) Reading St. Augustine's writings.
(d) Being tortured.
7. What has Palinor the most afraid?
(a) Not paying his debts.
(b) Not believing in God.
(c) Being decapitated.
(d) Dying in fire.
8. What does Amara see when she is high on the mountain?
(a) Black specks on the ocean.
(b) The pirates' cove.
(c) A pack of wolves.
(d) The abbey far below.
9. Why does Fra Murta believe Amara answered his questions as she did?
(a) She had too much depth to be understood.
(b) She was playing dumb.
(c) She was too smart for him.
(d) She didn't understand the questions.
10. What has Severo told the nuns about Amara?
(a) That she can be freed.
(b) That someone told her about God.
(c) That he has found her mother.
(d) That she is not to leave the abbey.
11. What does Severo decide he used Amara for?
(a) To entrap God.
(b) To condemn Palinor.
(c) To keep the nuns busy.
(d) To farther his own status.
12. Why does Beneditx say his faith is gone?
(a) He realizes he never really believed.
(b) His reasoning upon which is was based was faulty.
(c) He thinks the church murders people.
(d) He thinks the world is too ugly to have been created by God.
13. Where does Jamie stay when he comes to take Amara?
(b) Saint Jeronimo.
(c) Saracen's house.
(d) With Beneditx.
14. What did Dolca spend the money from Severo on?
(a) A substance that emits a lethal fume when burned.
(b) A fine robe for Palinor to wear while he died.
(c) A good last meal for Palinor.
(d) A small house on the coast.
15. Why is Esperanca confused about Palinor?
(a) That he is in prison.
(b) That he is not a king.
(c) That he did not go home.
(d) That he has given her gold and diamonds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people in Ciudad do when Palinor arrives?
2. What does Palinor wonder about passionately religious people?
3. Where do many mothers leave their babies?
4. What haunts Beneditx?
5. What does Amara ask Josefa that shows she's thinking about more than what's in front of her?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)