|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fra Murta ask Palinor three days after he is confined?
(a) If he is a Christian.
(b) If he is a king.
(c) If he believes in God.
(d) If he is a Jew.
2. Why is Severo allowed into Palinor's cell?
(a) He showed his ordination ring.
(b) He was sent by Fra Murta.
(c) He knows the jailer.
(d) He said he was sent by God.
3. Why do the nuns decide to investigate Amara?
(a) To see if her parents are still alive.
(b) To please Fra Murta.
(c) To find out how she ended up with wolves.
(d) To find out is she knew about God before.
4. How does Fra Murta seem to feel about being an inquisitor?
(a) He believes it is not necessary.
(b) He despises it.
(c) He relishes it.
(d) He is indifferent to it.
5. Why does Fra Murta believe Amara answered his questions as she did?
(a) She had too much depth to be understood.
(b) She was too smart for him.
(c) She didn't understand the questions.
(d) She was playing dumb.
6. Who did the Christian encounter in Severo's dream?
(a) A Saracen prince.
(b) St. Augustine.
(c) Fra Murta.
(d) An angel with a flaming sword.
7. Why is Palinor bound with cordeles and garrotes?
(a) He refuses to confess.
(b) He has people coming to rescue him.
(c) He beat one of the guards.
(d) He has confessed his heresy.
8. What does Amara say about the chapel?
(a) It is peaceful.
(b) It is too stuffy.
(c) It is beautiful.
(d) It is a bad place.
9. How does Severo feel about Fra Murta?
(a) He admires him.
(b) He's indiffernt to him.
(c) He respects him.
(d) He doesn't like him.
10. Why does Beneditx say his faith is gone?
(a) He thinks the church murders people.
(b) His reasoning upon which is was based was faulty.
(c) He thinks the world is too ugly to have been created by God.
(d) He realizes he never really believed.
11. What haunts Beneditx?
(a) The torture of Palinor.
(b) Not believing in God.
(c) The possibility of a fleet coming for Palinor.
(d) Palinor's fate and not being able to save him.
12. What vow does Josefa break?
(a) Not telling Amara about God.
(b) Obeying her father.
(c) Not having a lover.
(d) Not eating meat.
13. Why does Fra Murta have a blacksmith with him when he visits Palinor?
(a) To cut off his manacles.
(b) To make him ankle manacles.
(c) To chain his hands together.
(d) To fit him with a neck iron.
14. What kind of cell does Beneditx retreat to?
(a) Deeper and darker.
(b) The cell in the basement.
(c) One with a window.
(d) The top floor cell.
15. What has Palinor the most afraid?
(a) Not believing in God.
(b) Being decapitated.
(c) Not paying his debts.
(d) Dying in fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Severo give Palinor to Fra Murta?
2. What does Beneditx tell Severo.
3. What is Palinor doing when Fra Murta comes upon him?
4. What does Fra Murta say will make Palinor confess his sins?
5. What do the nuns believe about Amara and Fra Murta?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)