|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Severo feel about Fra Murta?
(a) He believes he is a saint.
(b) He admires him.
(c) He has a mild distaste towards him.
(d) He can't stand his company.
2. Why are the nuns distressed?
(a) Severo is shutting down the convent.
(b) Josefa is returning home.
(c) For sheltering a murderess.
(d) Amara has run away.
3. What does Jamie say Amara can be for work?
(a) A barmaid.
(b) A shepherd.
(c) A housekeeper.
(d) An ice-keeper.
4. To what fire is Fra Murta referring?
(a) The fire that kills Palinor.
(b) The fire at the blacksmith's.
(c) The fire in the tavern.
(d) The fire in the next world.
5. Why does Severo send Rafal away?
(a) He cooks badly.
(b) Severo wants to be alone with his guilt.
(c) To find out who coached Amara.
(d) Severo wants to find Palinor's country.
6. What does Severo say settled the question about Palinor's knowledge of God?
(a) His honesty and integrity.
(b) Beneditx's long conversations with him.
(c) The fact that he is from another country.
(d) Amara not knowing about God.
7. What does Severo hope about Fra Murta?
(a) That he will understand people more.
(b) That he will leave the island.
(c) That he can be bribed.
(d) That he will be killed soon.
8. Why is Palinor bound with cordeles and garrotes?
(a) He beat one of the guards.
(b) He refuses to confess.
(c) He has people coming to rescue him.
(d) He has confessed his heresy.
9. What does Palinor wish he had not done?
(a) Mentioned the name of God to Fra Murta.
(b) Had sex with Dolca and Joffre.
(c) Talked with Beneditx.
(d) Sent Joffre to the docks with a message for Aclar.
10. Where do many mothers leave their babies?
(a) At the hospital.
(b) At the doctors.
(c) At the tavern.
(d) At the church.
11. What do Severo and Fra Murta find out about Amara's knowledge of God?
(a) It is simple faith, like a child.
(b) It does not exist.
(c) It is wise and profound.
(d) It is deeply buried.
12. Why does Fra Murta have a blacksmith with him when he visits Palinor?
(a) To cut off his manacles.
(b) To make him ankle manacles.
(c) To fit him with a neck iron.
(d) To chain his hands together.
13. Why does Jamie's mother suggest it was a whore who birthed Amara?
(a) She would have not husband to help her.
(b) She would get in trouble for unmarried sex.
(c) That all whores do that.
(d) She would be too ashamed to leave the baby at the church.
14. Why does Rafal tell Severo he can no longer serve him?
(a) He is too old.
(b) He wants to get married.
(c) He no longer believes in God.
(d) He is ill and dying.
15. What does Amara see when she is high on the mountain?
(a) A pack of wolves.
(b) The abbey far below.
(c) Black specks on the ocean.
(d) The pirates' cove.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Severo's dream important to him?
2. What does Beneditx tell Palinor when he says it's impossible to know if God exists?
3. What does Palinor say his country will do if they harm him?
4. What does Severo feel about the shedding of blood?
5. Why does Fra Murta believe Amara answered his questions as she did?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)