|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jamie's mother suggest it was a whore who birthed Amara?
(a) She would be too ashamed to leave the baby at the church.
(b) She would have not husband to help her.
(c) That all whores do that.
(d) She would get in trouble for unmarried sex.
2. Why does Severo insist that Palinor has not sinned?
(a) He has followed his conscience.
(b) He is a kind and gentle man.
(c) He has harmed no one.
(d) He is a king.
3. Why does Severo give Palinor to Fra Murta?
(a) To advance his standing in the church.
(b) He's angry about Beneditx.
(c) To show Beneditx what could happen to him.
(d) To keep Fra Murta from killing a woman.
4. Why was Pare Aldonza relieved of her duties at the convent?
(a) She has had an affair.
(b) She has told Amara about God.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She has eaten meat.
5. Who did the Christian encounter in Severo's dream?
(a) An angel with a flaming sword.
(b) A Saracen prince.
(c) Fra Murta.
(d) St. Augustine.
6. Why does Fra Murta believe Amara answered his questions as she did?
(a) She had too much depth to be understood.
(b) She didn't understand the questions.
(c) She was playing dumb.
(d) She was too smart for him.
7. Why are the nuns distressed?
(a) For sheltering a murderess.
(b) Severo is shutting down the convent.
(c) Josefa is returning home.
(d) Amara has run away.
8. What does Fra Murta think of Palinor's descriptions of Aclar?
(a) It sounds dull.
(b) It sounds pretty.
(c) He is indiffernt.
(d) They are horrible.
9. What was unusual about Amara's birth?
(a) She was a twin.
(b) She was born to a whore.
(c) She wasn't born on the island.
(d) Her mother died when she was born.
10. Where does Jamie go to search for Amara's mother?
(a) To the coast.
(b) To the waterfalls.
(c) High in the mountains.
(d) Inside all the brothels.
11. What does Jamie find out about abandoned babies?
(a) It is a common practice.
(b) It is usually the father that makes the mother do it.
(c) It usually occurs when the mother dies.
(d) It never happens.
12. Why does Taddeo want Josefa to return home?
(a) He likes her cooking better than his wife's.
(b) Her brothers miss her.
(c) Margalida has died.
(d) He has a husband for her.
13. What does Palinor say his country will do if they harm him?
(a) Exact a terrible revenge.
(c) Ask for a payment in gold.
(d) Retrieve his body.
14. What does Fra Murta believe about the eventual outcome of the "Amara" experiment?
(a) It will condemn heresy.
(b) It will not support the church.
(c) It will prove useless.
(d) It will confirm God's existence.
15. What does Beneditx tell Palinor about his idea of nonbelievers?
(a) That Palinor has changed his mind about them.
(b) That there are no nonbelievers.
(c) That they are criminals.
(d) That Palinor is the only one he has known.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Severo's dream important to him?
2. Why does Amara begin climbing the mountain?
3. What does Palinor wish he had not done?
4. What does Severo do about Beneditx?
5. How does Severo feel about Fra Murta?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)