|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was unusual about Amara's birth?
(a) Her mother died when she was born.
(b) She wasn't born on the island.
(c) She was born to a whore.
(d) She was a twin.
2. What does Severo wish he could do?
(a) Kill Fra Murta.
(b) Save Palinor.
(c) Stop believing in God.
(d) Go back in time and change his first decision.
3. What does Palinor say about his fall from the ship?
(a) He will be more careful the next time.
(b) He should have let himself drown.
(c) He is bitter it happened.
(d) He should have swum the other way.
4. What does Severo ask Rafal to do?
(a) Cook dinner for a large crowd.
(b) Find out where Amara is.
(c) Watch Fra Murta at all times.
(d) Pray without ceasing.
5. Where does Jamie stay when he comes to take Amara?
(a) Saint Jeronimo.
(b) Saracen's house.
(d) With Beneditx.
6. What does Jamie find out about abandoned babies?
(a) It never happens.
(b) It is a common practice.
(c) It is usually the father that makes the mother do it.
(d) It usually occurs when the mother dies.
7. What does Palinor wish he had not done?
(a) Talked with Beneditx.
(b) Had sex with Dolca and Joffre.
(c) Sent Joffre to the docks with a message for Aclar.
(d) Mentioned the name of God to Fra Murta.
8. What do the nuns believe about Amara and Fra Murta?
(a) Fra Murta has rejected Amara's answers.
(b) He has accepted that she knows nothing of God.
(c) He wants to learn more from her.
(d) He appreciates her childish wisdom.
9. Why does Jamie's mother suggest it was a whore who birthed Amara?
(a) That all whores do that.
(b) She would have not husband to help her.
(c) She would be too ashamed to leave the baby at the church.
(d) She would get in trouble for unmarried sex.
10. What does Severo say settled the question about Palinor's knowledge of God?
(a) The fact that he is from another country.
(b) Beneditx's long conversations with him.
(c) His honesty and integrity.
(d) Amara not knowing about God.
11. Where does Jamie go to search for Amara's mother?
(a) To the coast.
(b) To the waterfalls.
(c) Inside all the brothels.
(d) High in the mountains.
12. After being tortured what does Palinor say to Fra Murta?
(a) Fra Murta will be killed if he does more to Palinor.
(b) He believes in God and lied before.
(c) Severo is a heretic.
(d) He will be punished in hell.
13. What does Beneditx tell Palinor about his idea of nonbelievers?
(a) That there are no nonbelievers.
(b) That Palinor is the only one he has known.
(c) That Palinor has changed his mind about them.
(d) That they are criminals.
14. Why does Severo give Palinor to Fra Murta?
(a) He's angry about Beneditx.
(b) To show Beneditx what could happen to him.
(c) To advance his standing in the church.
(d) To keep Fra Murta from killing a woman.
15. Why is Palinor bound with cordeles and garrotes?
(a) He has people coming to rescue him.
(b) He refuses to confess.
(c) He beat one of the guards.
(d) He has confessed his heresy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Severo insist that Palinor has not sinned?
2. Why is Severo allowed into Palinor's cell?
3. Who is the only person who ends up escaping all the consequences of Palinor's death?
4. What does Amara see when she is high on the mountain?
5. From where have Joffre and Dolca walked?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)