|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where is Palinor?
2. Who diagnoses Amara?
(a) A nun trained as a nurse.
(b) A famous Jewish physician.
(c) A country medicine man.
3. What does Palinor tell Dolca she can do?
(a) Plant good crops.
(b) Tell Severo.
(c) Refuse him.
(d) Read so sweetly.
4. What do Severo and Beneditx decide to do about Palinor?
(a) To send him to his own country.
(b) To ask him what he believes.
(c) To ask him to pretend to believe in God.
(d) To put him back in prison for a while.
5. Who accidentally lets Amara out among some dogs?
(a) The Mother Superior.
(c) Esteban, the dog caretaker.
6. What does Joffre reveal to Palinor?
(a) That Dolca is actually his sweetheart, not his sister.
(b) That Dolca loves Palinor.
(c) That Joffre is attracted to Palinor.
(d) That Dolca was once raped and will not have sex since.
7. What does Palinor say truth is like?
(a) Many rivers.
(b) A mountain.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The sky.
8. What is one odd characteristic of Amara?
(a) She loves massages.
(b) She says a blessing before eating.
(c) She still howls at the moon.
(d) She hates to be touched.
9. How many parties does the reader see traveling on the mountain?
10. What makes Josefa happy about Amara's question?
(a) That Amara is curious about God.
(b) That Amara remembers the past.
(c) That Amara can observe the difference between what Josefa does and what the other nuns do.
(d) That Amara understands the idea of being free.
11. What does Severo give Jaime?
(a) Two letters of recommendation.
(b) A donkey and cart.
(c) Enough gold to buy three fields.
(d) A herd of sheep.
12. How do the nuns know Amara misses Josefa?
(a) They do not know she misses Josefa.
(b) Amara grabs the nun's habit and shakes it.
(c) Amara smiles when Josefa's name is mentioned.
(d) Amara makes a sound like Josefa's name.
13. What does Amara do with the salt water on her body?
(a) Takes a bath.
(b) Licks it.
(c) Breaks out.
(d) Wipes it off.
14. What does Palinor need?
(a) A wife.
(c) A wise man for advice.
(d) A moneylender to get his passage home.
15. How do they get Amara cleaned up?
(a) They are not yet successful cleaning her.
(b) They drug her with poppy seed water.
(c) They use meat to lure her into a tub of water.
(d) They lasso her and tie her tightly to a pole.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do the villagers tease Esperanca?
2. What is the time and setting supposed to resemble?
3. What does Gillem offer to do?
4. What does the priest tell the Mother Superior?
5. Why is Beneditx angry?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)