|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do two fishermen see as they are mending their nets?
(a) A beached whale.
(b) Someone swimming towards shore.
(c) A baby porpoise that seems lost.
(d) A huge shark about to engulf a boat.
2. What does Josefa realize about God?
(a) She does not miss thinking about God.
(b) God is in every little particle.
(c) God does not exist.
(d) God does not know Amara.
3. What does Palinor tell Dolca she can do?
(a) Plant good crops.
(b) Read so sweetly.
(c) Refuse him.
(d) Tell Severo.
4. What does Severo give Jaime?
(a) A donkey and cart.
(b) A herd of sheep.
(c) Two letters of recommendation.
(d) Enough gold to buy three fields.
5. From where is Palinor?
6. Who does Palinor say he is?
(a) A physician.
(b) A prince in his own country.
(c) A king in his own country.
(d) A lawyer.
7. Who sends a priest for the child?
8. What seems to be helping Amara?
(c) An addictive elixir.
(d) Having a dog as a companion.
9. What does Joffre reveal to Palinor?
(a) That Dolca loves Palinor.
(b) That Dolca is actually his sweetheart, not his sister.
(c) That Joffre is attracted to Palinor.
(d) That Dolca was once raped and will not have sex since.
10. What does Josefa notice about Amara?
(a) She is growing into her head.
(b) She is very talkative to all the nuns.
(c) She is eager to please now.
(d) She is different from Josefa's younger brothers.
11. What does Mother Superior ask of Jaime?
(a) About Amara's history.
(b) About his wife's illness.
(c) That he come visit regularly.
(d) That he leave.
12. What does Joffre ask Palinor?
(a) If life is worth living as an atheist.
(b) Why he doesn't just lie and say he is a Christian.
(c) Why he was interested in both Joffre and Dolca.
(d) If there is such a thing as sin.
13. What does Beneditx think will convince Palinor of God?
(a) The five proofs of St. Thomas.
(b) The story of the blind man.
(c) The story of Beneditx's own conversion.
(d) The three points of St. Augustine.
14. What does Beneditx ask Palinor to do?
(a) Lie to be able to leave the island.
(b) Imagine an angel.
(c) Imagine God in Palinor's mind.
(d) Confess his sins.
15. What does Amara do with the salt water on her body?
(a) Breaks out.
(b) Licks it.
(c) Takes a bath.
(d) Wipes it off.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what chores is Amara helping the nuns?
2. Who ends up caring for Amara?
3. Why does Severo take Amara to the nunnery at Sant Clara?
4. Why has Jaime come to Sant Clara?
5. How is the reader supposed to view the setting?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)