|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Beneditx worried?
(a) That Beneditx may be getting too ill to stay and talk to Palinor.
(b) He is not worried.
(c) That Palinor refuses to convert and will be burned at the stake.
(d) That Palinor may convince him God does not exist.
2. How many parties does the reader see traveling on the mountain?
3. What makes Josefa happy about Amara's question?
(a) That Amara understands the idea of being free.
(b) That Amara can observe the difference between what Josefa does and what the other nuns do.
(c) That Amara is curious about God.
(d) That Amara remembers the past.
4. What does Severo encounter at the entrance to his home?
(a) Amara who has run away from the nunnery.
(b) A new fountain.
(c) A group of soldiers.
(d) A group of shepherds.
5. What does Joffre ask Palinor?
(a) Why he doesn't just lie and say he is a Christian.
(b) If there is such a thing as sin.
(c) Why he was interested in both Joffre and Dolca.
(d) If life is worth living as an atheist.
6. About what do the villagers tease Esperanca?
(a) About her son's tendency to wander for days without working.
(b) About a reward she is expecting from Palinor.
(c) About her desire to learn to read and write.
(d) About her fixing some clothing for the village idiot.
7. What does Severo decide to do with the wolf child?
(a) He has not yet decided.
(b) Mercifully kill her.
(c) Give her to Palinor to take with him because they have the means of helping her in his homeland.
(d) Baptize her.
8. How does Amara scare away the group?
(a) She cries.
(b) She drops to all fours and howls.
(c) She screams curses at them.
(d) She pretends to be possessed.
9. How does Amara walk now?
(a) On all fours, but with her legs straight out behind her.
(b) Upright but her legs are still badly bent.
(c) Upright on straightened legs.
(d) She is not moving at all now because she can't walk upright or on all fours.
10. What does Severo wonder as he lies on his pallet?
(a) Why Palinor is there.
(b) Who God really is.
(c) Who he is.
(d) Why Beneditx has not been successful with Palinor.
11. What does the priest tell the Mother Superior?
(a) That Amara is possessed of the devil.
(b) That the shepherds do penance by keeping the road in order.
(c) That Josefa is to weak to care for Amara.
(d) That she should let Guillem kill Amara.
12. With what chores is Amara helping the nuns?
(a) She can sweep the floor; that's about it.
(b) Nothing yet.
(c) She can knead bread, feed the farm animals, and card wool, sew and cook.
(d) She kneads bread, feeds the farm animals, and cards wool.
13. What happens to Amara?
(a) She begins speaking in sentences.
(b) She escapes again.
(c) She dies.
(d) She becomes very ill.
14. What does Palinor say truth is like?
(a) Many rivers.
(b) A mountain.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The sky.
15. Who is there to greet Severo when he returns to the Cuidad?
(b) A bishop.
(c) An inquisitor.
(d) A shepherd.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Beneditx's outstanding characteristics?
2. What does Palinor invite Severo to do?
3. What does Joffre reveal to Palinor?
4. What does Josefa ask to do with Amara?
5. Where does Amara go?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)