|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Tanabe family bring to Mikage's life?
2. What does Yuichi bring home from work for Mikage to use?
3. Where is Mikage when she starts crying?
4. Which relative of Mikage's dies recently?
5. Which character is sexually ambiguous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the major themes in Chapter One.
2. Why does Okuno visit Mikage?
3. Describe the apparition that Hiiragi sees.
4. How is the Tanabe family good for Mikage?
5. Why doesn't Yuichi tell Mikage that Eriko dies sooner?
6. Why does Mikage bring food to Yuichi at night?
7. What is it that Satsuki must not do on the bridge during the event? Why?
8. What is it that makes Mikage jealous?
9. What does Satsuki hope to see on the bridge during the special event?
10. What role does the kitchen play in Mikage's life before she moves in with the Tanabe family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do the characters find peace in the novel? What coping mechanisms do the characters use? Are they effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Death and love are both significant themes in the novel Kitchen. In the first two chapters, death is even the cause for love. Analyze these statements as they relate to the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Moonlight Shadow has supernatural elements in it. For example Satsuki sees the ghost of Hitoshi on the bridge. What is the significance of the supernatural elements in the story? How do these supernatural elements contribute to the story as a whole?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)