|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mikage visit the day after she receives Eriko's gift?
2. What time does Mikage wake up after her dream?
3. In Mikage's dream, what is Yuichi doing?
4. What is a kitchen symbolic of in the first chapter?
5. What does Yuichi want Mikage to make using the item he brings home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Mikage to cry on the bus?
2. Describe the process in which Yuji becomes Eriko.
3. Why does Mikage bring food to Yuichi at night?
4. What is Mikage's saddest memory of Eriko?
5. Describe the will that Eriko leaves behind.
6. What lifts Mikage's spirit when she is crying? Why?
7. What stuns Mikage about Eriko?
8. What begins to lift Mikage's spirits once she establishes herself in the Tanabe household?
9. Describe Mikage's dream.
10. In what ways does Mikage cope with the loss of her grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the climax of each chapter. What tone does the author write the climax in? What does the climax symbolize or foreshadow for the future of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The dreams in all three chapters have significance to the rest of the story. Describe one dream, or dream-like element of each chapter, and analyze the significance to its specific chapter.
Essay Topic 3
One common theme in the three chapters is escape. In what ways do characters escape? Use at least one quote per character to back up your opinions.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)