|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mikage stunned by at the Tanabe apartment?
2. What does Mikage worry about in her dream?
3. What does Mikage make for the Tanabe family?
4. Who seems most distraught about the death?
5. What beverage is Mikage drinking in her dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Satsuki greet Hiiragi when she sees him walking on the street without the uniform?
2. Why does Mikage agree to travel to the Izu Peninsula?
3. What role do supernatural elements play in the story?
4. Describe Mikage's dream.
5. How does Mikage know Yuichi before they become housemates?
6. Why does Hiiragi wear the women's uniform?
7. Why doesn't Mikage want to sleep the first day that she spends at Yuichi's home?
8. Describe the daydream that Mikage has after her dinner with Yuichi.
9. How is the Tanabe family good for Mikage?
10. Describe the tone of Part Two.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In all three chapters, characters seek to find normalcy and routine to cope with grief. How do they seek this sense of routine? What do the characters find instead?
Essay Topic 2
In all three chapters, there are eccentric secondary characters. How are these characters added to accelerate the events in the novel? How is sexual ambiguity explored using these characters? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
In each chapter, the role of a kitchen or food is prevalent. Give one specific example of this from each chapter and use at least three quotes to explain its relevance. For example, Mikage loves to be in the kitchen and finds peace in the kitchen. What elements of this same habit or behavior are present in the other chapter or with other characters?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)