|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eriko work?
2. How does Yuichi know Mikage?
3. How long is Yuichi dating his girlfriend?
4. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
5. What is there plenty more of in Mikage's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the apparition that Satsuki sees on the bridge.
2. Why does Satsuki have such a busy schedule?
3. What stuns Mikage about Eriko?
4. Why doesn't Yuichi tell Mikage that Eriko dies sooner?
5. Why does Okuno visit Mikage?
6. Describe Mikage's encounter with her previous landlord.
7. Why does Mikage agree to travel to the Izu Peninsula?
8. Describe the tone of Part Two.
9. In what ways does Mikage cope with the loss of her grandmother?
10. Why does Hiiragi wear the women's uniform?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In all three chapters, there are eccentric secondary characters. How are these characters added to accelerate the events in the novel? How is sexual ambiguity explored using these characters? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
Destiny and spirituality are themes in all three chapters of Kitchen. Analyze the way the author uses these themes to tell the story. How is destiny prevalent in the three chapters? What about spirituality? Why are these themes relevant?. Use at least one quote per chapter to prove your points.
Essay Topic 3
In all three chapters, characters seek to find normalcy and routine to cope with grief. How do they seek this sense of routine? What do the characters find instead?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)