|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Yuichi and Mikage share at the end of Chapter One?
2. How does Yuichi know Mikage?
3. How does Mikage tell that her ex-boyfriend no longer loves her?
4. What is Mikage stunned by at the Tanabe apartment?
5. What challenges does the Tanabe face in helping one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stuns Mikage about Eriko?
2. How is the Tanabe family good for Mikage?
3. What is Mikage's saddest memory of Eriko?
4. Describe the relationship that Hitoshi and Satsuki shared before Hitoshi's death?
5. Which characters in Part Two are running from the past? How?
6. What causes Mikage to cry on the bus?
7. Describe Eriko's death.
8. Describe Eriko's funeral.
9. In what ways does Mikage cope with the loss of her grandmother?
10. Why is the crying scene so pivotal in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moonlight Shadow has supernatural elements in it. For example Satsuki sees the ghost of Hitoshi on the bridge. What is the significance of the supernatural elements in the story? How do these supernatural elements contribute to the story as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the climax of each chapter. What tone does the author write the climax in? What does the climax symbolize or foreshadow for the future of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
One common theme in the three chapters is escape. In what ways do characters escape? Use at least one quote per character to back up your opinions.
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)