|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who slaps Yuichi?
2. What do Yuichi and Mikage share at the end of Chapter One?
3. What does Eriko bring home for Mikage?
4. How many days after the funeral is Mikage still trying to come to terms with what happens?
5. What is the one place Mikage finds peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the apparition that Satsuki sees on the bridge.
2. Why does Okuno visit Mikage?
3. Describe the major themes in Chapter One.
4. What begins to lift Mikage's spirits once she establishes herself in the Tanabe household?
5. How does Satsuki feel at the intersection where the car accident occurs?
6. Describe Mikage's meeting with Sotaro.
7. Describe the daydream that Mikage has after her dinner with Yuichi.
8. Describe the relationship that Hitoshi and Satsuki shared before Hitoshi's death?
9. Why does Mikage bring food to Yuichi at night?
10. What is the significance of the bell that Satsuki gives Hitoshi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze this statement's validity as it relates to the entire book: A theme in the novel is that life continues even when a life ends.
Essay Topic 2
In each chapter, the role of a kitchen or food is prevalent. Give one specific example of this from each chapter and use at least three quotes to explain its relevance. For example, Mikage loves to be in the kitchen and finds peace in the kitchen. What elements of this same habit or behavior are present in the other chapter or with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Determine how one character from each chapter grows or develops as a result of action in one chapter of the novel. What causes this growth?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)