|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mikage do when she wakes up from her dream?
2. Where does Mikage hide to cry?
3. Who slaps Yuichi?
4. What does Banana Yoshimoto use as a catalyst for love?
5. What is the one constant in Mikage's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Satsuki greet Hiiragi when she sees him walking on the street without the uniform?
2. Describe Eriko's funeral.
3. How does Part Three have a dream-like quality?
4. Describe the dreams that Satsuki has about Hitoshi.
5. Why is the crying scene so pivotal in the book?
6. What role does the kitchen play in Mikage's life before she moves in with the Tanabe family?
7. Why does Hiiragi wear the women's uniform?
8. Why does Mikage bring food to Yuichi at night?
9. Why does Yuichi drink so much at his dinner with Mikage?
10. At what point is Mikage at peace for the first time since her grandmother's death? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moonlight Shadow has supernatural elements in it. For example Satsuki sees the ghost of Hitoshi on the bridge. What is the significance of the supernatural elements in the story? How do these supernatural elements contribute to the story as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the significant secondary characters throughout Kitchen? How does the author use secondary characters as catalysts for action in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Death and love are both significant themes in the novel Kitchen. In the first two chapters, death is even the cause for love. Analyze these statements as they relate to the novel.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)