|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is there plenty more of in Mikage's life?
2. What month does Mikage decide to stop being lazy?
3. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
4. What does Yuichi want when he wakes up after Mikage has her dream?
5. Where does Mikage meet up with her ex-boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stuns Mikage about Eriko?
2. Describe Eriko's death.
3. What lifts Mikage's spirit when she is crying? Why?
4. How is Satsuki coping with Hitoshi's death?
5. How is the Tanabe family good for Mikage?
6. How does Part Three have a dream-like quality?
7. At what point is Mikage at peace for the first time since her grandmother's death? Why?
8. What role do the seasons play in Part Two?
9. Describe the dreams that Satsuki has about Hitoshi.
10. Describe the tone of Part Two.
Essay Topic 1
The three chapters of Kitchen are titled Kitchen, Full Moon, and Moonlight Shadow. What is the significance of each chapter title? What about the name of the novel as a whole? Why do you think the author chooses these specific titles?
Essay Topic 2
Determine how one character from each chapter grows or develops as a result of action in one chapter of the novel. What causes this growth?
Essay Topic 3
Death and love are both significant themes in the novel Kitchen. In the first two chapters, death is even the cause for love. Analyze these statements as they relate to the novel.
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)