|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mikage tell that her ex-boyfriend no longer loves her?
2. What is Mikage stunned by at the Tanabe apartment?
3. What month does Mikage decide to stop being lazy?
4. Where is Mikage when she starts crying?
5. What is Mikage's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to lift Mikage's spirits once she establishes herself in the Tanabe household?
2. Why does Satsuki have such a busy schedule?
3. How does Part Three have a dream-like quality?
4. How is the Tanabe family good for Mikage?
5. Why is the crying scene so pivotal in the book?
6. What is Mikage's saddest memory of Eriko?
7. At what point is Mikage at peace for the first time since her grandmother's death? Why?
8. Describe Mikage's encounter with Chika.
9. Why doesn't Satsuki greet Hiiragi when she sees him walking on the street without the uniform?
10. What tone does the author use in Part Three of the book? How does the tone used in Part Three compare to the tones in the previous parts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and love are both significant themes in the novel Kitchen. In the first two chapters, death is even the cause for love. Analyze these statements as they relate to the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Moonlight Shadow has supernatural elements in it. For example Satsuki sees the ghost of Hitoshi on the bridge. What is the significance of the supernatural elements in the story? How do these supernatural elements contribute to the story as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
One common theme in the three chapters is escape. In what ways do characters escape? Use at least one quote per character to back up your opinions.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)