|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yuichi want when he wakes up after Mikage has her dream?
2. What beverage is Mikage drinking in her dream?
3. What does Mikage fall in love with at the Tanabe apartment?
4. What does Mikage's dream foreshadow?
5. What is the one place Mikage finds peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the kitchen play in Mikage's life before she moves in with the Tanabe family?
2. Why does Mikage agree to move in with the Tanabe family?
3. What events in Satsuki's life foreshadow Hitoshi's death?
4. Based on Mikage visiting Yuichi at the inn, what predictions can the reader make for their relationship?
5. Describe the major themes in Chapter One.
6. Describe the apparition that Satsuki sees on the bridge.
7. What is Mikage's saddest memory of Eriko?
8. Why does Okuno visit Mikage?
9. How does Satsuki feel at the intersection where the car accident occurs?
10. At what point is Mikage at peace for the first time since her grandmother's death? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The three chapters of Kitchen are titled Kitchen, Full Moon, and Moonlight Shadow. What is the significance of each chapter title? What about the name of the novel as a whole? Why do you think the author chooses these specific titles?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the story of Satsuki and the story of Mikage. How are the two characters similar? How are they different? How are the people in their lives similar and different? What about the events they face?
Essay Topic 3
Determine how one character from each chapter grows or develops as a result of action in one chapter of the novel. What causes this growth?
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)