|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mikage's dream foreshadow?
2. Which character is sexually ambiguous?
3. What emotion do Yuichi and Mikage share in the first chapter?
4. Where are Mikage's parents?
5. What is Eriko's former name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mikage bring food to Yuichi at night?
2. How does Mikage know Yuichi before they become housemates?
3. Why does Eriko want Mikage to live with her and Yuichi?
4. What lifts Mikage's spirit when she is crying? Why?
5. Describe Mikage's last encounter with Eriko before her death.
6. Describe Mikage's encounter with Chika.
7. Why does Mikage decide she wants to move out? Why doesn't she?
8. Describe the tone of Part Two.
9. At what point is Mikage at peace for the first time since her grandmother's death? Why?
10. Why doesn't Satsuki greet Hiiragi when she sees him walking on the street without the uniform?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The three chapters of Kitchen are titled Kitchen, Full Moon, and Moonlight Shadow. What is the significance of each chapter title? What about the name of the novel as a whole? Why do you think the author chooses these specific titles?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the significant secondary characters throughout Kitchen? How does the author use secondary characters as catalysts for action in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
In all three chapters, there are eccentric secondary characters. How are these characters added to accelerate the events in the novel? How is sexual ambiguity explored using these characters? Why is this significant?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)