|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Yuichi and Mikage share at the end of Chapter One?
2. What keeps Mikage from thinking of her loneliness at night?
3. What does the Tanabe family bring to Mikage's life?
4. What emotion do Yuichi and Mikage share in the first chapter?
5. Who slaps Yuichi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mikage agree to travel to the Izu Peninsula?
2. What is it that makes Mikage jealous?
3. What does Satsuki hope to see on the bridge during the special event?
4. What causes Mikage to cry on the bus?
5. Describe Eriko's funeral.
6. How is the Tanabe family good for Mikage?
7. Why does Mikage decide she wants to move out? Why doesn't she?
8. In what ways does Mikage cope with the loss of her grandmother?
9. How does Mikage know Yuichi before they become housemates?
10. Describe Mikage's dream.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the significant secondary characters throughout Kitchen? How does the author use secondary characters as catalysts for action in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Destiny and spirituality are themes in all three chapters of Kitchen. Analyze the way the author uses these themes to tell the story. How is destiny prevalent in the three chapters? What about spirituality? Why are these themes relevant?. Use at least one quote per chapter to prove your points.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the climax of each chapter. What tone does the author write the climax in? What does the climax symbolize or foreshadow for the future of the characters?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)