Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What challenges does the Tanabe face in helping one another?
2. What month does Mikage decide to stop being lazy?
3. What is it that lifts Mikage's spirits when she cries?
4. Why does Mikage believe that she is able to understand Yuichi?
5. Who seems most distraught about the death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mikage's last encounter with Eriko before her death.
2. Why is the crying scene so pivotal in the book?
3. Describe the process in which Yuji becomes Eriko.
4. What is it that Satsuki must not do on the bridge during the event? Why?
5. Why doesn't Mikage want to sleep the first day that she spends at Yuichi's home?
6. Why does Mikage agree to travel to the Izu Peninsula?
7. Describe Eriko's death.
8. How is Satsuki coping with Hitoshi's death?
9. Why does Mikage decide she wants to move out? Why doesn't she?
10. What does Satsuki hope to see on the bridge during the special event?
Essay Topic 1
In each chapter, the role of a kitchen or food is prevalent. Give one specific example of this from each chapter and use at least three quotes to explain its relevance. For example, Mikage loves to be in the kitchen and finds peace in the kitchen. What elements of this same habit or behavior are present in the other chapter or with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Determine the significance of life and death as themes in the novel. Do you think the author is trying to send a message to the reader in the way life and death are represented? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the significant secondary characters throughout Kitchen? How does the author use secondary characters as catalysts for action in the stories?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)