Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What challenges does the Tanabe face in helping one another?
2. What month does Mikage decide to stop being lazy?
3. What is it that lifts Mikage's spirits when she cries?
4. Why does Mikage believe that she is able to understand Yuichi?
5. Who seems most distraught about the death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mikage's last encounter with Eriko before her death.
2. Why is the crying scene so pivotal in the book?
3. Describe the process in which Yuji becomes Eriko.
4. What is it that Satsuki must not do on the bridge during the event? Why?
5. Why doesn't Mikage want to sleep the first day that she spends at Yuichi's home?
6. Why does Mikage agree to travel to the Izu Peninsula?
7. Describe Eriko's death.
8. How is Satsuki coping with Hitoshi's death?
9. Why does Mikage decide she wants to move out? Why doesn't she?
10. What does Satsuki hope to see on the bridge during the special event?
Essay Topic 1
The three chapters of Kitchen are titled Kitchen, Full Moon, and Moonlight Shadow. What is the significance of each chapter title? What about the name of the novel as a whole? Why do you think the author chooses these specific titles?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze this statement's validity as it relates to the entire book: A theme in the novel is that life continues even when a life ends.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in all three chapters find a way to grieve. For example, in Full Moon, Yuichi chooses to run from his problems rather than to face them directly. Analyze different methods of grieving in the novel and how they contribute to the novel as a whole.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)