|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yuichi want when he wakes up after Mikage has her dream?
2. What is the name of Mikage's ex-boyfriend?
3. What is Eriko contemplating the first morning after Mikage moves in in the kitchen?
4. What is the one place Mikage finds peace?
5. What emotion do Yuichi and Mikage share in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mikage agree to travel to the Izu Peninsula?
2. How does Part Three have a dream-like quality?
3. At what point is Mikage at peace for the first time since her grandmother's death? Why?
4. How is sexual ambiguity explored in the first chapter?
5. How is the Tanabe family good for Mikage?
6. What role do supernatural elements play in the story?
7. Which characters in Part Two are running from the past? How?
8. What do the bridge and river represent in this story?
9. Describe the daydream that Mikage has after her dinner with Yuichi.
10. Describe the tone of Part Two.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The dreams in all three chapters have significance to the rest of the story. Describe one dream, or dream-like element of each chapter, and analyze the significance to its specific chapter.
Essay Topic 2
One common theme in the three chapters is escape. In what ways do characters escape? Use at least one quote per character to back up your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
In all three chapters, characters seek to find normalcy and routine to cope with grief. How do they seek this sense of routine? What do the characters find instead?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)