|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mikage visit the day after she receives Eriko's gift?
2. What motif does the glass have that Eriko gives to Mikage?
3. How does Mikage tell that her ex-boyfriend no longer loves her?
4. In Mikage's dream, what is Yuichi doing?
5. What is Eriko contemplating the first morning after Mikage moves in in the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do the seasons play in Part Two?
2. How is the Tanabe family good for Mikage?
3. Why doesn't Mikage want to sleep the first day that she spends at Yuichi's home?
4. Describe the daydream that Mikage has after her dinner with Yuichi.
5. What is it that Satsuki must not do on the bridge during the event? Why?
6. Why does Mikage bring food to Yuichi at night?
7. Describe the first moment that Mikage realizes that she loves Yuichi.
8. Describe Eriko's death.
9. Does Sotaro still have feelings for Mikage? Why or why not? Does Mikage still have feelings for Sotaro?
10. Why is the crying scene so pivotal in the book?
Essay Topic 1
In all three chapters, there are eccentric secondary characters. How are these characters added to accelerate the events in the novel? How is sexual ambiguity explored using these characters? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
Death and love are both significant themes in the novel Kitchen. In the first two chapters, death is even the cause for love. Analyze these statements as they relate to the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The three chapters of Kitchen are titled Kitchen, Full Moon, and Moonlight Shadow. What is the significance of each chapter title? What about the name of the novel as a whole? Why do you think the author chooses these specific titles?
This section contains 1,494 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)