|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mikage stunned by at the Tanabe apartment?
2. Mikage comes across several kitchens in the first chapter. What is each kitchen representative of?
3. What motif does the glass have that Eriko gives to Mikage?
4. Which relative of Mikage's dies recently?
5. Where does Eriko work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mikage know Yuichi before they become housemates?
2. Describe Satsuki's first meeting with Urara.
3. Describe the apparition that Satsuki sees on the bridge.
4. Why does Mikage bring food to Yuichi at night?
5. How is the Tanabe family good for Mikage?
6. What lifts Mikage's spirit when she is crying? Why?
7. Describe the daydream that Mikage has after her dinner with Yuichi.
8. What do the bridge and river represent in this story?
9. What role do the seasons play in Part Two?
10. Why is the crying scene so pivotal in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the elements of foreshadowing in the novel, in all three chapters. Choose one example from each chapter to analyze.
Essay Topic 2
In each chapter, the role of a kitchen or food is prevalent. Give one specific example of this from each chapter and use at least three quotes to explain its relevance. For example, Mikage loves to be in the kitchen and finds peace in the kitchen. What elements of this same habit or behavior are present in the other chapter or with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the significant secondary characters throughout Kitchen? How does the author use secondary characters as catalysts for action in the stories?
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)