|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yuichi want Mikage to make using the item he brings home?
2. How does Mikage tell that her ex-boyfriend no longer loves her?
3. Where does Mikage hide to cry?
4. Which character is sexually ambiguous?
5. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mikage know Yuichi before they become housemates?
2. Why does Okuno visit Mikage?
3. Why does Mikage agree to travel to the Izu Peninsula?
4. What role do the seasons play in Part Two?
5. What stuns Mikage about Eriko?
6. What begins to lift Mikage's spirits once she establishes herself in the Tanabe household?
7. How does Part Three have a dream-like quality?
8. Why does Satsuki have such a busy schedule?
9. Does Sotaro still have feelings for Mikage? Why or why not? Does Mikage still have feelings for Sotaro?
10. What tone does the author use in Part Three of the book? How does the tone used in Part Three compare to the tones in the previous parts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Who are the significant secondary characters throughout Kitchen? How does the author use secondary characters as catalysts for action in the stories?
Essay Topic 2In each chapter, the role of a kitchen or food is prevalent. Give one specific example of this from each chapter and use at least three quotes to explain its relevance. For example, Mikage loves to be in the kitchen and finds peace in the kitchen. What elements of this same habit or behavior are present in the other chapter or with other characters?
Essay Topic 3Determine the tone of each chapter. Now, determine the tone of the entire book. Provide at least four quotes from the novel to give your arguments validity.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)