|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mikage's dream foreshadow?
2. Why does Yuichi get slapped?
3. Who slaps Yuichi?
4. Where does Yuichi work part-time?
5. How many days after the funeral is Mikage still trying to come to terms with what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Urara obtain Satsuki's phone number?
2. What does Hiiragi do that embarrasses Satsuki when they meet for the first time in the story?
3. How does Satsuki feel at the intersection where the car accident occurs?
4. What role do the seasons play in Part Two?
5. What begins to lift Mikage's spirits once she establishes herself in the Tanabe household?
6. Why is the crying scene so pivotal in the book?
7. Does Sotaro still have feelings for Mikage? Why or why not? Does Mikage still have feelings for Sotaro?
8. Why doesn't Yuichi tell Mikage that Eriko dies sooner?
9. Why does Mikage agree to travel to the Izu Peninsula?
10. How is sexual ambiguity explored in the first chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze this statement's validity as it relates to the entire book: A theme in the novel is that life continues even when a life ends.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the climax of each chapter. What tone does the author write the climax in? What does the climax symbolize or foreshadow for the future of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the significant secondary characters throughout Kitchen? How does the author use secondary characters as catalysts for action in the stories?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)