|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems most distraught about the death?
2. Which of the following is the most major theme in the first chapter?
3. What is the name of Yuichi's mother?
4. Where does Mikage meet up with her ex-boyfriend?
5. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Mikage to cry on the bus?
2. Why doesn't Satsuki greet Hiiragi when she sees him walking on the street without the uniform?
3. How does Satsuki feel at the intersection where the car accident occurs?
4. Does Sotaro still have feelings for Mikage? Why or why not? Does Mikage still have feelings for Sotaro?
5. Describe the will that Eriko leaves behind.
6. What events in Satsuki's life foreshadow Hitoshi's death?
7. How is sexual ambiguity explored in the first chapter?
8. At what point is Mikage at peace for the first time since her grandmother's death? Why?
9. Describe the major themes in Chapter One.
10. Describe Mikage's encounter with Chika.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the significant secondary characters throughout Kitchen? How does the author use secondary characters as catalysts for action in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Death and love are both significant themes in the novel Kitchen. In the first two chapters, death is even the cause for love. Analyze these statements as they relate to the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze this statement's validity as it relates to the entire book: A theme in the novel is that life continues even when a life ends.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)