|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose kitchen does Mikage's dream take place?
2. Where is Mikage when she starts crying?
3. What month does Mikage decide to stop being lazy?
4. What is the one constant in Mikage's life?
5. What does Yuichi bring home from work for Mikage to use?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the will that Eriko leaves behind.
2. How does Mikage know Yuichi before they become housemates?
3. Describe the major themes in Chapter One.
4. Why does Satsuki have such a busy schedule?
5. Based on Mikage visiting Yuichi at the inn, what predictions can the reader make for their relationship?
6. How does Part Three have a dream-like quality?
7. Describe the apparition that Hiiragi sees.
8. What tone does the author use in Part Three of the book? How does the tone used in Part Three compare to the tones in the previous parts?
9. Describe Mikage's dream.
10. What is it that makes Mikage jealous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the significant secondary characters throughout Kitchen? How does the author use secondary characters as catalysts for action in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
The three chapters of Kitchen are titled Kitchen, Full Moon, and Moonlight Shadow. What is the significance of each chapter title? What about the name of the novel as a whole? Why do you think the author chooses these specific titles?
Essay Topic 3
Determine how one character from each chapter grows or develops as a result of action in one chapter of the novel. What causes this growth?
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)