|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yuichi want Mikage to make using the item he brings home?
2. What does Mikage do when she wakes up from her dream?
3. Why does Yuichi get slapped?
4. Where does Yuichi work part-time?
5. What time does Yuichi tell Mikage to arrive at the Tanabe home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Satsuki hope to see on the bridge during the special event?
2. What role do the seasons play in Part Two?
3. How does Part Three have a dream-like quality?
4. Describe Mikage's encounter with her previous landlord.
5. How does Mikage know Yuichi before they become housemates?
6. What causes Mikage to cry on the bus?
7. What tone does the author use in Part Three of the book? How does the tone used in Part Three compare to the tones in the previous parts?
8. Describe Mikage's last encounter with Eriko before her death.
9. What is it that Satsuki must not do on the bridge during the event? Why?
10. What role do supernatural elements play in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the climax of each chapter. What tone does the author write the climax in? What does the climax symbolize or foreshadow for the future of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Determine the significance of life and death as themes in the novel. Do you think the author is trying to send a message to the reader in the way life and death are represented? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do the characters find peace in the novel? What coping mechanisms do the characters use? Are they effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)