|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What challenges does the Tanabe face in helping one another?
(a) They are constantly working.
(b) They have trouble communicating.
(c) They fear one another.
(d) Their eccentricities.
2. Which relative of Mikage's dies recently?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her mother.
3. What is the one constant in Mikage's life?
(a) The kitchen.
4. What is Eriko's former name?
5. Where does Yuichi work part-time?
(a) Shoe store.
(b) Flower shop.
(d) Book shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eriko contemplating the first morning after Mikage moves in in the kitchen?
2. Mikage comes across several kitchens in the first chapter. What is each kitchen representative of?
3. Which scene is the most pivotal in the first chapter?
4. What month does Mikage decide to stop being lazy?
5. What does Eriko bring home for Mikage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the major themes in Chapter One.
2. What stuns Mikage about Eriko?
3. What is Mikage's reaction to hearing of Eriko's death?
4. Describe the tone of Part Two.
5. What begins to lift Mikage's spirits once she establishes herself in the Tanabe household?
6. Describe the daydream that Mikage has after her dinner with Yuichi.
7. Why does Mikage decide she wants to move out? Why doesn't she?
8. Why doesn't Mikage want to sleep the first day that she spends at Yuichi's home?
9. Why does Okuno visit Mikage?
10. What tone does the author use in Part Three of the book? How does the tone used in Part Three compare to the tones in the previous parts?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)