|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion do Yuichi and Mikage share in the first chapter?
2. What does Eriko bring home for Mikage?
(b) A juicer.
(c) A typewriter.
(d) A word processor.
3. What does Mikage's dream foreshadow?
(a) An upcoming change.
(b) Time spent apart for Yuichi and Mikage.
(c) That Mikage and Yuichi are meant to be together.
(d) More loss for both Yuichi and Mikage.
4. Mikage comes across several kitchens in the first chapter. What is each kitchen representative of?
(a) Each stage in Mikage's life.
(b) The houses that Mikage live in.
(c) The people Mikage meets.
(d) The deaths that Mikage deals with.
5. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
(a) Destiny and spirituality.
(b) Harmony and success.
(c) Destiny and anxiety.
(d) Growth and success.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mikage do when she wakes up from her dream?
2. In whose kitchen does Mikage's dream take place?
3. Where does Eriko work?
4. Where does Yuichi work part-time?
5. What does Banana Yoshimoto use as a catalyst for love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Tanabe family good for Mikage?
2. Describe Eriko's death.
3. Why doesn't Satsuki greet Hiiragi when she sees him walking on the street without the uniform?
4. What role does the kitchen play in Mikage's life before she moves in with the Tanabe family?
5. What is Mikage's saddest memory of Eriko?
6. What do the bridge and river represent in this story?
7. Describe the daydream that Mikage has after her dinner with Yuichi.
8. Describe the apparition that Satsuki sees on the bridge.
9. Why does Mikage agree to travel to the Izu Peninsula?
10. What stuns Mikage about Eriko?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)