|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the most major theme in the first chapter?
2. What does Mikage's dream foreshadow?
(a) An upcoming change.
(b) Time spent apart for Yuichi and Mikage.
(c) More loss for both Yuichi and Mikage.
(d) That Mikage and Yuichi are meant to be together.
3. Who slaps Yuichi?
(a) His girlfriend.
(c) Mikage's ex-boyfriend.
4. Where does Yuichi work part-time?
(a) Shoe store.
(c) Flower shop.
(d) Book shop.
5. Who does Mikage visit the day after she receives Eriko's gift?
(a) Her ex-boyfriend.
(b) The landlord.
(c) Grandma's grave.
(d) Yuichi's girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
2. What is it that lifts Mikage's spirits when she cries?
3. Where does Eriko work?
4. What month does Mikage decide to stop being lazy?
5. Where does Mikage hide to cry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the major themes in Chapter One.
2. What is the significance of the bell that Satsuki gives Hitoshi?
3. What role does the kitchen play in Mikage's life before she moves in with the Tanabe family?
4. What events in Satsuki's life foreshadow Hitoshi's death?
5. Describe the relationship that Hitoshi and Satsuki shared before Hitoshi's death?
6. Describe the apparition that Satsuki sees on the bridge.
7. Why is the crying scene so pivotal in the book?
8. What tone does the author use in Part Three of the book? How does the tone used in Part Three compare to the tones in the previous parts?
9. Describe the will that Eriko leaves behind.
10. Describe Mikage's meeting with Sotaro.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)