|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mikage comes across several kitchens in the first chapter. What is each kitchen representative of?
(a) Each stage in Mikage's life.
(b) The houses that Mikage live in.
(c) The people Mikage meets.
(d) The deaths that Mikage deals with.
2. What is the name of Yuichi's mother?
3. Where does Eriko work?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A club.
(c) A flower store.
(d) The library.
4. Where does Yuichi work part-time?
(a) Book shop.
(b) Shoe store.
(c) Flower shop.
5. How does Yuichi know Mikage?
(a) They work together.
(b) He meets her at church.
(c) He helps carry her grandmother's stuff home.
(d) They go to school together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mikage worry about in her dream?
2. What emotion do Yuichi and Mikage share in the first chapter?
3. In Mikage's dream, what is she doing in the kitchen?
4. What does Eriko bring home for Mikage?
5. What is the one place Mikage finds peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mikage's encounter with her previous landlord.
2. What role do the seasons play in Part Two?
3. Based on Mikage visiting Yuichi at the inn, what predictions can the reader make for their relationship?
4. Why does Mikage decide she wants to move out? Why doesn't she?
5. Describe the will that Eriko leaves behind.
6. How is sexual ambiguity explored in the first chapter?
7. Why does Okuno visit Mikage?
8. What tone does the author use in Part Three of the book? How does the tone used in Part Three compare to the tones in the previous parts?
9. Describe Mikage's last encounter with Eriko before her death.
10. What stuns Mikage about Eriko?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)