|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Mikage's dream, what is Yuichi doing?
(a) Washing dishes.
(b) Cleaning the floor.
(c) Cleaning the refrigerator.
(d) Wiping the counters.
2. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
(a) Destiny and spirituality.
(b) Growth and success.
(c) Harmony and success.
(d) Destiny and anxiety.
3. What does Mikage make for the Tanabe family?
(a) Broccoli and rice with eggs.
(b) Cucumber salad and rice with eggs.
(c) Carrot salad and noodles with eggs.
(d) Chicken salad and rice.
4. What does Yuichi want when he wakes up after Mikage has her dream?
(b) Cucumber salad.
5. What does Banana Yoshimoto use as a catalyst for love?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Yuichi dating his girlfriend?
2. Mikage comes across several kitchens in the first chapter. What is each kitchen representative of?
3. What is Mikage's last name?
4. In whose kitchen does Mikage's dream take place?
5. What does Mikage worry about in her dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mikage's saddest memory of Eriko?
2. Describe the relationship that Hitoshi and Satsuki shared before Hitoshi's death?
3. How is Satsuki coping with Hitoshi's death?
4. Describe the will that Eriko leaves behind.
5. Why does Yuichi drink so much at his dinner with Mikage?
6. How does Part Three have a dream-like quality?
7. How is sexual ambiguity explored in the first chapter?
8. What begins to lift Mikage's spirits once she establishes herself in the Tanabe household?
9. Describe the tone of Part Two.
10. Describe the process in which Yuji becomes Eriko.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)