|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
(a) Destiny and anxiety.
(b) Harmony and success.
(c) Growth and success.
(d) Destiny and spirituality.
2. What do Yuichi and Mikage share at the end of Chapter One?
(a) Loss of another family member.
(b) Exact opposite dreams.
(c) New family connections.
(d) The same dream.
3. In whose kitchen does Mikage's dream take place?
(d) Her grandmother's.
4. What month does Mikage decide to stop being lazy?
5. What does Banana Yoshimoto use as a catalyst for love?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Tanabe family bring to Mikage's life?
2. In Mikage's dream, what is Yuichi doing?
3. What is Mikage's last name?
4. What does Mikage fall in love with at the Tanabe apartment?
5. What keeps Mikage from thinking of her loneliness at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hiiragi wear the women's uniform?
2. Why does Mikage decide she wants to move out? Why doesn't she?
3. Describe Mikage's encounter with her previous landlord.
4. Describe the first moment that Mikage realizes that she loves Yuichi.
5. What role does the kitchen play in Mikage's life before she moves in with the Tanabe family?
6. Why doesn't Satsuki greet Hiiragi when she sees him walking on the street without the uniform?
7. What role do supernatural elements play in the story?
8. What stuns Mikage about Eriko?
9. Why does Mikage agree to move in with the Tanabe family?
10. How does Part Three have a dream-like quality?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)