|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time does Yuichi tell Mikage to arrive at the Tanabe home?
(a) 4 P.M.
(b) 10 P.M.
(c) 7 P.M.
(d) 7 A.M.
2. Why does Mikage believe that she is able to understand Yuichi?
(a) They both lose family.
(b) She does not love him.
(c) She is related to him.
(d) She does not need him.
3. What does Mikage see that makes her cry?
(a) Eriko walking alone.
(b) Yuichi and his girlfriend.
(c) Her ex-boyfriend and another girl.
(d) A child with their grandmother.
4. What is the name of Mikage's ex-boyfriend?
5. What is there plenty more of in Mikage's life?
6. What is the first truly fun moment for Mikage since she experiences family loss?
(a) Cooking for Yuichi.
(b) Talking to Eriko.
(c) Talking to Sotaro.
(d) The kitchen dream.
7. What does the Tanabe family bring to Mikage's life?
8. What is Eriko's former name?
9. What keeps Mikage from thinking of her loneliness at night?
(a) The drip of the leaky faucet.
(b) The breeze from the kitchen window.
(c) The hum of the refrigerator.
(d) The crunching of the ice maker.
10. What motif does the glass have that Eriko gives to Mikage?
11. How many days after the funeral is Mikage still trying to come to terms with what happens?
12. How does Mikage tell that her ex-boyfriend no longer loves her?
(a) The look in his eyes.
(b) The words he uses.
(c) The tone he uses.
(d) His body language.
13. Which character is sexually ambiguous?
14. What month does Mikage decide to stop being lazy?
15. What does Eriko bring home for Mikage?
(b) A typewriter.
(c) A word processor.
(d) A juicer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yuichi get slapped?
2. Which of the following is the most major theme in the first chapter?
3. What does Banana Yoshimoto use as a catalyst for love?
4. Which scene is the most pivotal in the first chapter?
5. What is Eriko contemplating the first morning after Mikage moves in in the kitchen?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)