|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first truly fun moment for Mikage since she experiences family loss?
(a) Talking to Eriko.
(b) Talking to Sotaro.
(c) Cooking for Yuichi.
(d) The kitchen dream.
2. Who are Mikage's remaining relatives?
(a) She has none.
(b) Her cousin and her aunt.
(c) Her aunt and uncle.
(d) Her sister.
3. What keeps Mikage from thinking of her loneliness at night?
(a) The crunching of the ice maker.
(b) The hum of the refrigerator.
(c) The drip of the leaky faucet.
(d) The breeze from the kitchen window.
4. Where does Mikage hide to cry?
(a) An alley.
(b) On the bus.
(c) In her old apartment.
(d) In a church.
5. What challenges does the Tanabe face in helping one another?
(a) They are constantly working.
(b) Their eccentricities.
(c) They fear one another.
(d) They have trouble communicating.
6. How does Yuichi know Mikage?
(a) He helps carry her grandmother's stuff home.
(b) He meets her at church.
(c) They go to school together.
(d) They work together.
7. What does Yuichi want when he wakes up after Mikage has her dream?
(b) Cucumber salad.
8. What does Eriko bring home for Mikage?
(a) A typewriter.
(b) A word processor.
(c) A juicer.
9. Which relative of Mikage's dies recently?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her grandfather.
10. In Mikage's dream, what is she doing in the kitchen?
(a) Washing dishes.
(b) Cleaning out the refrigerator.
(c) Mopping the floor.
(d) Scrubbing the sink.
11. Where does Yuichi want to go in Mikage's dream?
(a) The book store.
(b) A ramen stand.
(c) To get some tea.
(d) The flower store.
12. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
(a) Destiny and anxiety.
(b) Growth and success.
(c) Destiny and spirituality.
(d) Harmony and success.
13. What is the one place Mikage finds peace?
(a) The bookstore.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) The park.
(d) The kitchen.
14. What do Yuichi and Mikage share at the end of Chapter One?
(a) Loss of another family member.
(b) New family connections.
(c) The same dream.
(d) Exact opposite dreams.
15. What is Mikage's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is sexually ambiguous?
2. What is Eriko contemplating the first morning after Mikage moves in in the kitchen?
3. How does Mikage tell that her ex-boyfriend no longer loves her?
4. What is it that lifts Mikage's spirits when she cries?
5. What does Yuichi want Mikage to make using the item he brings home?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)