|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Eriko contemplating the first morning after Mikage moves in in the kitchen?
(a) Whether or not to remodel.
(b) Whether or not to order take-out.
(c) Whether she goes to school or not.
(d) Whether or not to get plastic surgery again.
2. In whose kitchen does Mikage's dream take place?
(b) Her grandmother's.
3. What does Mikage see that makes her cry?
(a) A child with their grandmother.
(b) Her ex-boyfriend and another girl.
(c) Yuichi and his girlfriend.
(d) Eriko walking alone.
4. How many days after the funeral is Mikage still trying to come to terms with what happens?
5. What time does Mikage wake up after her dream?
(a) 2 A.M.
(b) 7 A.M.
(c) 4 A.M.
(d) 12 A.M.
6. What does Yuichi want when he wakes up after Mikage has her dream?
(a) Cucumber salad.
7. What is Mikage stunned by at the Tanabe apartment?
(a) Eriko's job.
(b) The apartment's view.
(c) The cleanliness of the kitchen.
(d) Eriko's beauty.
8. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
(a) Destiny and spirituality.
(b) Growth and success.
(c) Destiny and anxiety.
(d) Harmony and success.
9. What is there plenty more of in Mikage's life?
10. What emotion do Yuichi and Mikage share in the first chapter?
11. Where are Mikage's parents?
(a) In America.
(b) In a nursing home.
(c) On vacation.
12. What does Banana Yoshimoto use as a catalyst for love?
13. What does Mikage make for the Tanabe family?
(a) Cucumber salad and rice with eggs.
(b) Carrot salad and noodles with eggs.
(c) Chicken salad and rice.
(d) Broccoli and rice with eggs.
14. Where does Eriko work?
(a) A club.
(b) A flower store.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) The library.
15. Which relative of Mikage's dies recently?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Yuichi dating his girlfriend?
2. Who does Mikage visit the day after she receives Eriko's gift?
3. What is the one place Mikage finds peace?
4. What is the first truly fun moment for Mikage since she experiences family loss?
5. What is a kitchen symbolic of in the first chapter?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)