|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
(a) Harmony and success.
(b) Growth and success.
(c) Destiny and anxiety.
(d) Destiny and spirituality.
2. What emotion do Yuichi and Mikage share in the first chapter?
3. What does Yuichi bring home from work for Mikage to use?
(a) A word processor.
(b) A new blender.
(c) A typewriter.
(d) A television.
4. Who does Mikage visit the day after she receives Eriko's gift?
(a) Her ex-boyfriend.
(b) Yuichi's girlfriend.
(c) Grandma's grave.
(d) The landlord.
5. What time does Yuichi tell Mikage to arrive at the Tanabe home?
(a) 7 A.M.
(b) 7 P.M.
(c) 4 P.M.
(d) 10 P.M.
6. What is there plenty more of in Mikage's life?
7. In whose kitchen does Mikage's dream take place?
(b) Her grandmother's.
8. What keeps Mikage from thinking of her loneliness at night?
(a) The drip of the leaky faucet.
(b) The hum of the refrigerator.
(c) The crunching of the ice maker.
(d) The breeze from the kitchen window.
9. Where does Eriko work?
(a) A club.
(b) A flower store.
(c) The library.
(d) A restaurant.
10. What is it that lifts Mikage's spirits when she cries?
(a) The sound of a kitchen.
(b) Eriko's gift.
(c) Seeing Sotaro walk by happily.
(d) Yuichi joking.
11. What is the name of Mikage's ex-boyfriend?
12. How many days after the funeral is Mikage still trying to come to terms with what happens?
13. What does Yuichi want Mikage to make using the item he brings home?
(a) Short stories.
(c) Change of address cards.
14. What do Yuichi and Mikage share at the end of Chapter One?
(a) Loss of another family member.
(b) Exact opposite dreams.
(c) The same dream.
(d) New family connections.
15. What motif does the glass have that Eriko gives to Mikage?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the most major theme in the first chapter?
2. Why does Yuichi get slapped?
3. Where does Yuichi work part-time?
4. Which scene is the most pivotal in the first chapter?
5. Where does Mikage meet up with her ex-boyfriend?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)