|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
(a) Destiny and anxiety.
(b) Harmony and success.
(c) Destiny and spirituality.
(d) Growth and success.
2. What time does Mikage wake up after her dream?
(a) 7 A.M.
(b) 4 A.M.
(c) 2 A.M.
(d) 12 A.M.
3. What place in the world does Mikage like best?
(a) The Tanabe's home.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) Grandma's bedroom.
(d) The bridge.
4. What does Mikage's dream foreshadow?
(a) That Mikage and Yuichi are meant to be together.
(b) More loss for both Yuichi and Mikage.
(c) Time spent apart for Yuichi and Mikage.
(d) An upcoming change.
5. What does Eriko bring home for Mikage?
(a) A juicer.
(b) A word processor.
(c) A typewriter.
6. What beverage is Mikage drinking in her dream?
(d) Warm milk.
7. What does Yuichi want when he wakes up after Mikage has her dream?
(b) Cucumber salad.
8. What does Mikage do when she wakes up from her dream?
(a) Drinks tea.
(c) Wakes Yuichi.
(d) Drinks water.
9. What is the name of Mikage's ex-boyfriend?
10. What is Mikage's last name?
11. Why does Mikage believe that she is able to understand Yuichi?
(a) She is related to him.
(b) They both lose family.
(c) She does not love him.
(d) She does not need him.
12. Which of the following is the most major theme in the first chapter?
13. What does Mikage see that makes her cry?
(a) Eriko walking alone.
(b) A child with their grandmother.
(c) Yuichi and his girlfriend.
(d) Her ex-boyfriend and another girl.
14. What is Mikage stunned by at the Tanabe apartment?
(a) Eriko's beauty.
(b) The cleanliness of the kitchen.
(c) Eriko's job.
(d) The apartment's view.
15. Who seems most distraught about the death?
Short Answer Questions
1. What challenges does the Tanabe face in helping one another?
2. What is there plenty more of in Mikage's life?
3. Which character is sexually ambiguous?
4. What does Banana Yoshimoto use as a catalyst for love?
5. What is the one constant in Mikage's life?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)