|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Mikage from thinking of her loneliness at night?
(a) The hum of the refrigerator.
(b) The breeze from the kitchen window.
(c) The drip of the leaky faucet.
(d) The crunching of the ice maker.
2. What do Yuichi and Mikage share at the end of Chapter One?
(a) Loss of another family member.
(b) The same dream.
(c) Exact opposite dreams.
(d) New family connections.
3. What emotion do Yuichi and Mikage share in the first chapter?
4. What is Mikage stunned by at the Tanabe apartment?
(a) The cleanliness of the kitchen.
(b) Eriko's beauty.
(c) The apartment's view.
(d) Eriko's job.
5. What does Mikage's dream foreshadow?
(a) More loss for both Yuichi and Mikage.
(b) Time spent apart for Yuichi and Mikage.
(c) An upcoming change.
(d) That Mikage and Yuichi are meant to be together.
6. Where are Mikage's parents?
(a) In America.
(b) On vacation.
(c) In a nursing home.
7. Why does Mikage believe that she is able to understand Yuichi?
(a) She does not need him.
(b) She does not love him.
(c) They both lose family.
(d) She is related to him.
8. What does Mikage see that makes her cry?
(a) Yuichi and his girlfriend.
(b) Eriko walking alone.
(c) A child with their grandmother.
(d) Her ex-boyfriend and another girl.
9. What place in the world does Mikage like best?
(a) The Tanabe's home.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The bridge.
(d) Grandma's bedroom.
10. What is a kitchen symbolic of in the first chapter?
11. What time does Yuichi tell Mikage to arrive at the Tanabe home?
(a) 4 P.M.
(b) 7 A.M.
(c) 7 P.M.
(d) 10 P.M.
12. What is it that lifts Mikage's spirits when she cries?
(a) The sound of a kitchen.
(b) Yuichi joking.
(c) Eriko's gift.
(d) Seeing Sotaro walk by happily.
13. Where is Mikage when she starts crying?
(a) On the bus.
(b) At the coffee shop.
(c) In a taxi.
(d) At the park.
14. What does Yuichi bring home from work for Mikage to use?
(a) A typewriter.
(b) A word processor.
(c) A television.
(d) A new blender.
15. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
(a) Growth and success.
(b) Harmony and success.
(c) Destiny and spirituality.
(d) Destiny and anxiety.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mikage do when she wakes up from her dream?
2. What is Mikage's last name?
3. Which of the following is the most major theme in the first chapter?
4. What does Banana Yoshimoto use as a catalyst for love?
5. Who does Mikage visit the day after she receives Eriko's gift?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)