|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mikage fall in love with at the Tanabe apartment?
(a) The view.
(b) Their kitchen.
(c) The typewriter.
2. How does Yuichi know Mikage?
(a) They go to school together.
(b) He meets her at church.
(c) He helps carry her grandmother's stuff home.
(d) They work together.
3. What time does Mikage wake up after her dream?
(a) 12 A.M.
(b) 7 A.M.
(c) 2 A.M.
(d) 4 A.M.
4. What keeps Mikage from thinking of her loneliness at night?
(a) The crunching of the ice maker.
(b) The breeze from the kitchen window.
(c) The drip of the leaky faucet.
(d) The hum of the refrigerator.
5. Why does Yuichi get slapped?
(a) For quitting his job.
(b) For being lazy.
(c) For living with Mikage.
(d) For insulting Eriko.
6. How does Mikage tell that her ex-boyfriend no longer loves her?
(a) His body language.
(b) The words he uses.
(c) The tone he uses.
(d) The look in his eyes.
7. What place in the world does Mikage like best?
(a) The Tanabe's home.
(b) The bridge.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) Grandma's bedroom.
8. Which of the following pairs are common themes in the first chapter?
(a) Destiny and anxiety.
(b) Destiny and spirituality.
(c) Growth and success.
(d) Harmony and success.
9. Which of the following is the most major theme in the first chapter?
10. Who seems most distraught about the death?
11. What is the first truly fun moment for Mikage since she experiences family loss?
(a) Talking to Eriko.
(b) Talking to Sotaro.
(c) The kitchen dream.
(d) Cooking for Yuichi.
12. In Mikage's dream, what is Yuichi doing?
(a) Cleaning the floor.
(b) Wiping the counters.
(c) Washing dishes.
(d) Cleaning the refrigerator.
13. What emotion do Yuichi and Mikage share in the first chapter?
14. What is Eriko's former name?
15. Where does Yuichi work part-time?
(a) Flower shop.
(c) Shoe store.
(d) Book shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mikage comes across several kitchens in the first chapter. What is each kitchen representative of?
2. What does Yuichi bring home from work for Mikage to use?
3. What challenges does the Tanabe face in helping one another?
4. What time does Yuichi tell Mikage to arrive at the Tanabe home?
5. What is Eriko contemplating the first morning after Mikage moves in in the kitchen?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)