|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bourdain, what kind of job is the job of a line cook?
(a) It is an unimportant role in a restaurant.
(b) It is an important job.
(c) It is a hard yet rewarding position.
(d) It is a thankless position.
2. What is Dimitri's job?
(a) Pastry chef.
(b) Pasta cook.
(c) Line cook.
3. What is CIA designed to do?
(a) Teach students the culinary arts.
(b) Educate learners to be caterers.
(c) Give ordinary people a little extra cooking skill.
(d) Turn out hotel and corporate dining facility chefs.
4. What are the best nights for eating out?
(a) Tuesday through Saturday.
(b) Monday through Friday.
(c) Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
(d) Saturday and Sunday.
5. What is the Escoffier Room?
(a) The class that teaches students about the room where the meat is kept.
(b) The class with the newest appliances.
(c) The study hall of the CIA.
(d) A three-star restaurant open to the public.
6. What do Bourdain and Dimitri make that causes the guests to have fits of pain?
(a) A salmon dish with bone fragments.
(b) A scalding hot minestrone soup.
(c) Nearly-raw chicken parmesan.
(d) A pepper-loaded Chinese meal.
7. According to Bigfoot, what is more important than lapses in judgment or destructive behavior?
(a) A man's talent.
(b) A man's essential character.
(c) A man's desire to succeed.
(d) A man's willingness to try again.
8. What does owning a restaurant feed besides the customers?
(a) One's bank account.
(b) One's creativity.
(c) An ego.
(d) The kitchen staff.
9. What is one of the qualities that Bourdain most values in a line cook?
(a) A line cook who learns quickly.
(b) A line cook who never calls in sick.
(c) A line cook who gets along with co-workers.
(d) A line cook who can teach others new techniques.
10. What does Bourdain fish for with the local fishing expert in France?
11. Whom has the instructor for the Escoffier Room been rumored to have worked with?
(a) Fernand Point.
(b) Pierre Troisgros.
(c) Auguste Escoffier.
(d) Paul Bocuse.
12. Where is Bourdain determined to enroll during the early 1970's?
(a) The Culinary Institute of America.
(b) Le Cordon Bleu.
(c) Yale University.
(d) Harvard Law School.
13. What type of restaurant will Bourdain never eat in?
(a) A restaurant that has live music.
(b) A fast food restaurant.
(c) A restaurant with dirty bathrooms.
(d) A restaurant with a laminated menu.
14. According to Bourdain, what are most line cooks?
(a) High school dropouts.
(b) Culinary geniuses.
(c) Social misfits.
(d) Immigrants from Spanish-speaking countries.
15. What is the instructor of Escoffier Room known for?
(a) His ineptness when it comes to French cuisine.
(b) His flamboyant personality and fashion sense.
(c) His unrelenting, despotic instructional techniques.
(d) The relaxed atmosphere of his class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the owner of Mario's select Bourdain to do?
2. What does Bourdain want to do after his trip to France besides enjoy the food?
3. What does Bourdain learn from assisting the boiler man?
4. When does Bourdain's love affair with food start?
5. For whom does Bourdain have disdain?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)