|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bourdain want to do after his trip to France besides enjoy the food?
(a) Create new dishes using the ingredients of French cuisine.
(b) Impart the same enjoyment on others.
(c) Write a food diary of his trip.
(d) Explore the cuisine of his home country.
2. What does Bourdain fish for with the local fishing expert in France?
3. Bourdain says that line cooking is not about innovation, but what?
(a) Artistic expression.
4. What does Bourdain realize in Vienne?
(a) Food is necessary to live.
(b) Food is art.
(c) Food is important.
(d) Food is luxury.
5. What does Bourdain feel about the early 1970's in terms of the cooking world?
(a) It is a time of change.
(b) It is a time of traditional cuisine.
(c) It is a primitive time.
(d) It is an exciting time.
6. What is the name of the fishing expert in France?
(a) Monsieur Dominique Francois.
(b) Monsieur Saint-Jour.
(c) Monsieur Frederick.
(d) Monsieur Alain Bertrand.
7. What does Bourdain do after his family vacation to France?
(a) Bourdain immerses himself in the French style of cooking.
(b) Bourdain forgets about his France trip.
(c) Bourdain explores other cultures' cuisines.
(d) Bourdain visits French restaurants in America to compare.
8. How long does Bourdain work at the Rainbow Room?
(a) A year and a half.
(b) Four months.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two years.
9. According to Bourdain, what are most line cooks?
(a) High school dropouts.
(b) Immigrants from Spanish-speaking countries.
(c) Social misfits.
(d) Culinary geniuses.
10. What does Bourdain do while in France with his family?
(a) Tests the food in Paris' cafes.
(b) Explores the beaches of Normandy.
(c) Visits the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower.
(d) Visits a number of vineyards.
11. What does Bourdain admit from the get-go?
(a) He does not really enjoy being a chef.
(b) Being a chef can be mind-numbingly boring.
(c) He is a novice at cooking.
(d) He is not the best chef.
12. According to Bigfoot, what is more important than lapses in judgment or destructive behavior?
(a) A man's desire to succeed.
(b) A man's talent.
(c) A man's essential character.
(d) A man's willingness to try again.
13. How is the chef at Mario's described?
(a) As the worst chef in the area.
(b) As the best chef in the area.
(c) As the most hard-working chef in the business.
(d) As a difficult chef to work with.
14. According to Bourdain, which of the following is not an elemental food item?
(a) Mint tops.
15. How does Bourdain describe the line cooks in most kitchens?
(a) As sweaty and high-strung.
(b) As young and irresponsible.
(c) As hard workers.
(d) As dysfunctional types.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of restaurant will Bourdain never eat in?
2. What do Bourdain and Dimitri make that causes the guests to have fits of pain?
3. How does Bourdain describe Dimitri?
4. What sorts of food does Bourdain begin to eat after his trip to France?
5. What does Bourdain learn while at the Rainbow Room?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)